posted 1 month ago by
orangespot
Broke Member

Just got an email from GasBuddy.com.
https://pay.gasbuddy.com/ 
They're offering a new service in which you link your checking account to them and they send you a gas debit card.  They say that it's accepted at all gas stations and it earns you 5 cents per gallon.  The first fill-up earns you 15 cents per gallon.  

It appears that the discount is automatically calculated when the payment is made from your checking account.

This is good for people who don't get 5% back from Costco or for those times when you aren't near a Costco.
EDIT:
I stand corrected, Costco is only 4% cash back and you can get that rebate at any gas station. Thanks, Turtlebug.
That said, this is still good for those of us who don't have Costco's Citicard. 
Sam's Club is 5% cash back at any gas station.  Thanks, Busnut.

20 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
how are you getting the 5 from costco

rated:
orangespot said:   Just got an email from GasBuddy.com.
https://pay.gasbuddy.com/
They're offering a new service in which you link your checking account to them and they send you a gas debit card.  They say that it's accepted at all gas stations and it earns you 5 cents per gallon.  The first fill-up earns you 15 cents per gallon.  

It appears that the discount is automatically calculated when the payment is made from your checking account.

This is good for people who don't get 5% back from Costco or for those times when you aren't near a Costco.

Costco Visa is 4% cash back and it applies to all gas stations, not just Costco gas stations.

rated:
Also, Sam's Club Mastercard is 5% cash back and it applies to all gas stations, not just Sam's Club gas stations. And you can pay inside or at the pump. That makes any purchase at any gas station 5% cash eligible back including beer, cigarettes, pop, etc. with the Sam's Club Mastercard.  Have been doing this for years.

rated:
From Sam's Club website"5% CASH BACK ON FUEL AT Sam's Club® AND GAS STATIONS
The terms of the "How to Earn Cash Back with Your Sam's Club MasterCard®" rewards program state:"For each Reward Period, you will earn 5% Cash Back on your first $6,000 spent on Eligible Purchases of fuel at U.S. and Puerto Rico Sam's Club and Walmart® fuel stations, and at Gas Stations located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico (excluding fuel stations located at or that are part of warehouse clubs and certain supercenters and supermarkets). Thereafter you'll earn 1% on these purchases for the remainder of that Reward Period. "Gas Stations" are generally merchants identified by their MCC as "Service Stations" or "Automated Fuel Dispensers". Gas Stations do not include merchants of aviation or other non-automotive fuels."Please note: The warehouse clubs, supercenters and supermarkets that are excluded from the 5% Cash Back (but where you will still earn 1% Cash Back) are: Costco, BJs, HEB, Kroger, Meijer, and Publix.

rated:
5 cents a gallon is below 2% if you average $2.51+ a gallon and not to mention, its a direct withdrawal, with a CC you get 30 days to pay...

rated:
yeah 5 cents is not much at current rates.  you can sign up for fuel rewards and get 5 cents/gallon at shell and charge it to whatever card you want. FR

rated:
spanky42 said:   yeah 5 cents is not much at current rates.  you can sign up for fuel rewards and get 5 cents/gallon at shell and charge it to whatever card you want. FR
  In my area, a vast majority of the Circle K stores are also Shell, and Circle K has their own debit payment card where you get 6 cents off per gallon. That actually combines with the 5 cents off a gallon for 11 cents off a gallon.

But you know how to sweeten that even more? It seems that Circle K gift cards are considered the same as the Circle K payment card that uses the checking account for the 6 cent discount, so if you buy discount Circle K gift cards on eBay (don't know if they've had them recently, but I bought some in the past), it sweetens the deal even more.

Of course, you'd have to have the Circle K and Shell combo for this to work, and I don't know how common that is elsewhere. I know even here, we have Shell stations that are not Circle K, as well as Circle K stores that are BP or Marathon (mostly these are Circle K stores that are near another gas station that was Shell).

rated:
SVM sells gas gift cards (BP and Mobil/Exxon) are often sold on eBay for 7%-8% off.

rated:
Agreed that 5 cents isn't much, but adds up especially if you pair it with gasbuddy's app and find the lowest priced station in your area.
I like that I don't have to buy at Shell or some other expensive station to get 5 cents off their exorbitant prices. And there's no fee or credit card application required. You just have to have a checking account.

rated:
how much do you want to bet that the cash-only stations (that gasbuddy INSISTS on sending you to) don't accept debit cards?

rated:
remember this: not everybody is qualified and can get the Costco CITI credit card or SAM CLUB Mastercard

rated:
I've never been to a cash only station. In my experience, the stations that give a discount for using cash, include debit for the discount.

rated:
How do they know how many gallons you bought?

rated:
There is no way I am linking my checking account to them. 14 gallon fill up only saves me 70 cents so I will stick with Discover

rated:
DonnieDuck said:   There is no way I am linking my checking account to them. 14 gallon fill up only saves me 70 cents so I will stick with Discover

I link to my secondary account - which only have like $200 or less.

rated:
Luniz97 said:   5 cents a gallon is below 2% if you average $2.51+ a gallon and not to mention, its a direct withdrawal, with a CC you get 30 days to pay...
  Depends on has prices.  Here gas is $1.91 so that makes it 2.6%, but still not as good as my 3% Amex Blue Cash Preferred.

rated:
spanky42 said:   yeah 5 cents is not much at current rates.  you can sign up for fuel rewards and get 5 cents/gallon at shell and charge it to whatever card you want. FR
   fuel rewards keep sending you email asking you buy something and I never get 5% from gas at shell, except first filling

rated:
alexnguyenseattle said:   remember this: not everybody is qualified and can get the Costco CITI credit card or SAM CLUB Mastercard
  Bank of America Cashback rewards is available to general public with 3% at gas stations.  $2/gallon at 3% is $0.06 making this not a hot deal unless you can stack gasbuddy with cash price at stations charging different cash/credit prices.

rated:
BofA CC has 3% on gas and if you are Preferred Rewards member reward percentage is 3.75% , 4.5% and 5.25% for Gold, Platinum and Platinum honors respectively.
No Annual fee.

rated:
DonnieDuck said:   There is no way I am linking my checking account to them. 14 gallon fill up only saves me 70 cents so I will stick with Discover

I gave them my date of birth and SS# too just in case they need it.....totally worth it for a Nickle.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017