Avatar
posted 1 month ago by
EntertheDeals
Cranky Member

https://www.tanga.com/deals/6db2c7c3e822/asus-tm-ac1900-wireless...

  • 802.11ac dual-band Wireless Gigabit router supporting both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels.
  • Prioritizes T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling voice traffic over other internet traffic for the best voice quality.
  • Covers at least 3000 sq feet
  • Up to 1300 Mbps at 5.0GHz and up to 600 Mbps at 2.4GHz
  • Advanced T-Mobile security features

4427 Views
12 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Picked up one of these the last time around on T anga.  Converting it to Advanced Tomato firmware was a lengthy process. Some outdated pages say it's not possible, but there is a way.

I was disappointed with the range. I figured the 3x3 mimo antennas would provide superior range, but it's not as good as the 2x2 Linksys WRT1200. Even after putting big 9 dBi antennas on the Asus AC1900 (aka RT-AC68u), its range was inferior.  Set the transmit power to max in the Advanced Tomato wireless settings, but range still couldn't compare with the Linksys WRT1200.
The range wasn't terrible, but I expected more from a 3x3 with external antennas.

rated:
peas said:   Picked up one of these the last time around on T anga.  Converting it to Advanced Tomato firmware was a lengthy process. Some outdated pages say it's not possible, but there is a way.

I was disappointed with the range. I figured the 3x3 mimo antennas would provide superior range, but it's not as good as the 2x2 Linksys WRT1200. Even after putting big 9 dBi antennas on the Asus AC1900 (aka RT-AC68u), its range was inferior.  Set the transmit power to max in the Advanced Tomato wireless settings, but range still couldn't compare with the Linksys WRT1200.
The range wasn't terrible, but I expected more from a 3x3 with external antennas.

3x3 (or 2x2 or mimo, in general) is to increase bandwidth/speed, not range. There are 802.11b routers rigged with external yagi antennas that do miles in range albeit at much lower speeds.

Higher the frequency, higher the badnwidht/speed but lower range. 5GHz will be faster but won't go as far (without signal bossting) as 2.4GHz. Little wonder the analog TV stations in the lower frequencies were booted (and moved to higher freq digital) to make way for the telcos.

rated:
amhidogha said:   
peas said:   Picked up one of these the last time around on T anga.  Converting it to Advanced Tomato firmware was a lengthy process. Some outdated pages say it's not possible, but there is a way.

I was disappointed with the range. I figured the 3x3 mimo antennas would provide superior range, but it's not as good as the 2x2 Linksys WRT1200. Even after putting big 9 dBi antennas on the Asus AC1900 (aka RT-AC68u), its range was inferior.  Set the transmit power to max in the Advanced Tomato wireless settings, but range still couldn't compare with the Linksys WRT1200.
The range wasn't terrible, but I expected more from a 3x3 with external antennas.

3x3 (or 2x2 or mimo, in general) is to increase bandwidth/speed, not range. There are 802.11b routers rigged with external yagi antennas that do miles in range albeit at much lower speeds.

Higher the frequency, higher the badnwidht/speed but lower range. 5GHz will be faster but won't go as far (without signal bossting) as 2.4GHz. Little wonder the analog TV stations in the lower frequencies were booted (and moved to higher freq digital) to make way for the telcos.

  

Yagi antennas are directional.  These external antennas are omnidirectional, though 802.11ac beam forming can steer the energy to increase range at specific locations.

All comparisons I did were apples to apples.  2.4 GHz to 2.4 GHz.  5GHz to 5GHz.  I've been in the industry for quite a while, but thanks for assisting.

rated:
peas said:   
amhidogha said:   
peas said:   Picked up one of these the last time around on T anga.  Converting it to Advanced Tomato firmware was a lengthy process. Some outdated pages say it's not possible, but there is a way.

I was disappointed with the range. I figured the 3x3 mimo antennas would provide superior range, but it's not as good as the 2x2 Linksys WRT1200. Even after putting big 9 dBi antennas on the Asus AC1900 (aka RT-AC68u), its range was inferior.  Set the transmit power to max in the Advanced Tomato wireless settings, but range still couldn't compare with the Linksys WRT1200.
The range wasn't terrible, but I expected more from a 3x3 with external antennas.

3x3 (or 2x2 or mimo, in general) is to increase bandwidth/speed, not range. There are 802.11b routers rigged with external yagi antennas that do miles in range albeit at much lower speeds.

Higher the frequency, higher the badnwidht/speed but lower range. 5GHz will be faster but won't go as far (without signal bossting) as 2.4GHz. Little wonder the analog TV stations in the lower frequencies were booted (and moved to higher freq digital) to make way for the telcos.

  

Yagi antennas are directional.  These external antennas are omnidirectional, though 802.11ac beam forming can steer the energy to increase range at specific locations.

All comparisons I did were apples to apples.  2.4 GHz to 2.4 GHz.  5GHz to 5GHz.  I've been in the industry for quite a while, but thanks for assisting.
 

Relationship between power/distance and speed/bandwidth would be regardless of directionality. Rest assured, my post was meant as general information and not to counter/doubt anybody's knowledge/industry experience.
 

rated:
Looks pretty good... External antennas and it looks like it can run DD-WRT. Pretty good for that price. Hopefully it has some good range with those antennas.

rated:
As a post-paid customer, I received this router for free from Tmobile last week.

rated:
Been running this for 2 years with Merlin, very stable and fast

rated:
Very good router. Probably worth a shot at this price. The new one's for $60 won't be back IMHO.

rated:
amhidogha said:   
peas said:   Yagi antennas are directional.  These external antennas are omnidirectional, though 802.11ac beam forming can steer the energy to increase range at specific locations.

All comparisons I did were apples to apples.  2.4 GHz to 2.4 GHz.  5GHz to 5GHz.  I've been in the industry for quite a while, but thanks for assisting.

Relationship between power/distance and speed/bandwidth would be regardless of directionality. Rest assured, my post was meant as general information and not to counter/doubt anybody's knowledge/industry experience.

  
The purpose of a directional antenna is to increase distance in specific direction(s).  Can't understand how you're arguing that there's no relationship between distance and directionality, unless you just have to win an argument or have no clue what you're talking about.

In any case, I made the distance comparison of both routers using omnidirectional antennas with beam forming.  Apples to apples real world comparison. 

rated:
the only thing i dont like about this otherwise excellent router is if you enable https and you should, is you have to accept the self signed certificate everytime the thing needs to be rebooted. which thankfully isn't very often.

rated:
How about it after using 2 years.

rated:
Coupon code BRADSDEALS got me an extra $4 off the refurb one

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017