Low Cost Internet
PCs for People is offering high speed 4G LTE internet service through Mobile Beacon for as low as $10 per month. Plans are prepaid with no credit check or hidden fees. You can visit our office (MN, CO) to purchase a device or purchase it online and receive the device within 3-5 business days.  Devices purchased through "PCs for People" are for recipients who meet our eligibility requirements only. These devices can not be resold or redistributed to individuals who are not qualified PCs for People clients.
https://pcsforpeople.org/recipients/low-cost-internet 
.PREPAID SERVICES
12 MONTHS - $194.95 - Includes wireless LTE modem ($74.95) + 12 months service ($120.00 or $10 per Month)

06 MONTHS - $149.95 - Includes wireless LTE modem ($74.95) + 6 months service ($75.00 or $12.50 per Month)

03 MONTHS - $114.95 - Includes wireless LTE modem ($74.95) + 3 months service ($40.00 or $13.33 per Month)

*Mobile Beacon is providing PCs for People’s users with an unlimited 4G LTE data-only plan with no data caps or throttling. The data plan is subject to the provider's network management policy for the unlimited LTE plan it offers its own retail customers.Refers to "Quality of Service" Practices (QoS): Unlimited customers who use more than 23 GB of data during a billing cycle will be deprioritized during times and places where the network is constrained.Click here for more details. Limited time offer. Coverage not available everywhere. View coverage map for details and search for 4G LTE data coverage. Subject to availability. Eligibility restrictions and other restrictions may apply. All service plans are subject to Mobile Beacon’s Terms and Conditions located at http://www.mobilebeacon.org/legal 
The Service Terms
Download a PDF of our service terms. Terms of Service 
Internet Device Return Policy
Items must be returned within 7 days from the date the device is received. In order to receive a full refund for the device, all original components must be included.
Internet Time Refund Policy
Internet subscriptions may be refunded for any unused months remaining on your current subscription term.
Internet Device - One Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty
The replacement warranty on all internet devices is one year after the device is activated on behalf of PCs for People, not the date that it is purchased or received by the end user. Dates will vary.
 Eligibility - Low Cost Internet
To receive services from PCs for People a potential recipient must be below the 200% poverty level or be currently enrolled in an income-based government assistance program (See Below). Nonprofits are also eligible recipients of technology and can learn more here. ATTENTION: Documents accepted for proof of eligibility require a date. EBT cards, Medicaid cards without a date, and pay stubs are NOT accepted. We do not accept screenshots of online accounts. 

Persons in Family    Max Allowed Income
1 $24,120
2 $32,480
3 $40,840
4 $49,200
5 $57,560
6 $65,920
7 $74,280
8 $82,640

Clients must show a photo ID and proof of eligibility, as listed below:

Here are some examples of programs that are eligible:*

• Adult & Child Mental Health Case Management*
  • Employment Services*
  • Extended Foster Care
  • Food Support (a dated letter showing current eligibility is required)
  • Financial Assistance, such as GA, TANF, etc. (a dated letter showing current eligibility is required)
  • Head Start
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Medicaid or Medical Assistance (bring a document that says "MA" or "Medical Assistance" on it)
  • The National School Lunch Program's Free or Reduced Lunch Program
  • Section 8, Federal Public Housing Assistance, or Group Residential Housing (GRH)
  • Social Security Disability (SSD)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)*
  • Note: Medicare alone does not work as proof of eligibility. 

For households that qualify under the net income test (200% poverty level) the following documentation will be acceptable as part of the application process:*

• The prior year's state, federal, or tribal tax return (W2 forms or pay stubs are not acceptable)
  • A Social Security statement of benefits*
  • A Veteran Administration statement of benefits*
  • A retirement/pension statement of benefits*
  • An Unemployment/Workmen's Compensation statement of benefits*
  • Federal or tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
  • A divorce decree, child support, or other official document

All proof of eligibility must be dated within the last 6 months (unless it is an annual document, like a tax return), and include the recipient's name printed on the proof. If you have questions about eligibility documentation that is not listed, check with our staff at 651-354-2552 or info@pcsforpeople.org .If you are eligible, you can purchase computers online, or come to one of our offices where computers are available for a donation ranging from $0 to $150.*Any proof of eligibility is subject to approval by PCs for People staff. Additional documents may be required to unquestioningly prove income or enrollment in government assistance program.  

Check Out Other BigBoyMichigan's FatWallet Deals 

38 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
A more helpful title would be something like "4G LTE internet for qualified low-income households, from $10/mo. + $74.95 mobile hotspot from pcsforpeople."

rated:
Looks pretty tough to qualify unless you have a very large family.

rated:
Is this actually fast enough to watch Netflix or similar service on a TV?

rated:
Looks like they are reselling Sprint. That said if you have a strong signal in an area that is not over-subscribed it might be ok.
I was thinking about signing my mother up for this until I saw it was Sprint however.

rated:

rated:
From https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-are-4g-and-3g-internet-speeds-...

study from RootMetrics found the average, real world download and upload speeds for the four major wireless carriers in the US to be a bit different:

• AT&T's 4G LTE network was found to be the fastest, with average download speeds of 18.6 Mbps and upload speeds of 9.0 Mbps. It's older 3G network, by contrast, averaged 4.3 Mbps download and 1.1 Mbps upload. AT&T's LTE network had an 81.7% network connection rate. The maximum download speeds measured in this study clocked AT&T's 4G network at 19.6 Mbps.

• Verizon came in second, with 14.3 Mbps for downloads, on average, and average upload speeds of 8.5 Mbps. Although it comes in slightly behind AT&T, Verizon has a larger footprint and 90% connectivity. The fastest speed measured was 49.3 Mbps.
  • Sprint averaged 10.3 Mbps for downloads and 4.4 Mbps for uploads, and the network was accessible 50.2% of the time. 32.7 Mbps was the highest speed found for Sprint.
  • T-Mobile's HSPA+ network averaged 7.3 Mbps for downloads and 1.5 Mbps for uploads. So, better than 3G but 4G LTE is faster.

rated:
I dont have any cable entering the house right now, my tv comes thru antenna. How would this connect to net? Would i have to get some type of cable connection at more cost?
Thanks

rated:
If only I had cell service where I live - oh well......

rated:
bones774 said:   I dont have any cable entering the house right now, my tv comes thru antenna. How would this connect to net? Would i have to get some type of cable connection at more cost?
Thanks

It's LTE. Wireless. Mobile Beacon.
No cable needed.
Of course, you need to live within range of a cell tower that offers this service.

rated:
prosperity said:   If only I had cell service where I live - oh well......
  By using Sprint coverage, it's pretty limited except for city folk.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
bones774 said:   I dont have any cable entering the house right now, my tv comes thru antenna. How would this connect to net? Would i have to get some type of cable connection at more cost?
Thanks

No cable needed.
Of course, you need to live within range of a cell tower that offers this service.

I checked the Sprint coverage map that they refer you to and i am squarely in a heavy yellow coverage area, so should be good.
thanks

rated:
myisland said:   Is this actually fast enough to watch Netflix or similar service on a TV?

I have the same question.  I have a friend who may qualify and who right now pays a ton for Internet. Using it for Netflix and youtube, so curious about speed for watching media content, whether it down-samples (to what resolution), and how severe the "deprioritization" is after 23GB ?

rated:
My father has had this service for a few years. This month, they have started blocking connections to the TiVo server.

rated:
addylor said:   My father has had this service for a few years. This month, they have started blocking connections to the TiVo server.
  I'm no techie but they specifically said "no throttling" is that the same thing?

rated:
They say they don't throttle but after 23GB in a month the use a "network management policy" ...from website...

Does the 4G LTE Service Plan provide unlimited data?

Yes. Through Mobile Beacon, PCs for People’s users will be able to use an unlimited 4G LTE data-only plan with no data caps or throttling. The data plan is subject to a network management policy.*

*“Quality of Service” Practices (QoS): Unlimited customers who use more than 23 GB of data during a billing cycle may be deprioritized during times and places where the network is constrained.

This sounds like throttling to me.
I talked to rep who said I can expect from 10mbps to 40mbps. But further research for my area resulted with speeds of 5 to 12mbps from Sprint. I've been looking into possible external antennaes to increase the speeds. Anyone know of an app. to check signal strenght for 4g lte through Sprint?

rated:
exbat said:   From https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-are-4g-and-3g-internet-speeds-3974470: 

study from RootMetrics found the average, real world download and upload speeds for the four major wireless carriers in the US to be a bit different:..

That data is from 2013 and is very much dated.  March 11th, 2013 

rated:
' *Mobile Beacon is providing users with an unlimited 4G LTE data-only plan '
The reason companies such as 'Mobile Beacon' is able to provide these plans is because these companies have received free radio spectrum from the FCC which they in turn leased to large mobile carriers.

rated:
bones774 said:   
canoeguy1 said:   
Thanks

No cable needed.

I checked the Sprint coverage map that they refer you to and i am squarely in a heavy yellow coverage area, so should be good.
thanks

Sprint coverage map - https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp

rated:
thrunner said:   
exbat said:   From https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-are-4g-and-3g-internet-speeds-3974470: 

study from RootMetrics found the average, real world download and upload speeds for the four major wireless carriers in the US to be a bit different:..

That data is from 2013 and is very much dated.  March 11th, 2013 

A more recent test: http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/content/mobile-performance-in-t...

rated:
For those who subscribed to Clear and FreedomPop using their routers (such as the Hub Express), they also connected to the Sprint network before the WIMAX service was shut down on November 2015. Mobile Beacon sued Sprint to continue the service for the non-profits. It was continued for a few months and later all subscribers under the lawsuit had to be shifted over to Sprint 's 4G LTE service. For those who had the WIMAX service, it was unlimited data, however, it was subject to Sprint 's policy of slowing you down if your data usage was very high. I don't think any wireless network has carte blanche privilege for their customers. Too many high data usage customers could hose up the network.  Karma had offered unlimited data over a year ago, but then backtracked after several users started to gobble massive GB of data per month.  Then they converted all of their plans with data limits.  If you want true unlimited data, cable or satellite service would be better.

rated:
fa282 said:   They say they don't throttle but after 23GB in a month the use a "network management policy" ...from website...

Does the 4G LTE Service Plan provide unlimited data?

Yes. Through Mobile Beacon, PCs for People’s users will be able to use an unlimited 4G LTE data-only plan with no data caps or throttling. The data plan is subject to a network management policy.*

*“Quality of Service” Practices (QoS): Unlimited customers who use more than 23 GB of data during a billing cycle may be deprioritized during times and places where the network is constrained.

This sounds like throttling to me.
I talked to rep who said I can expect from 10mbps to 40mbps. But further research for my area resulted with speeds of 5 to 12mbps from Sprint.  I've been looking into possible external antennaes to increase the speeds. Anyone know of an app. to check signal strenght for 4g lte through Sprint

You probably will find LTE Discovery app for Android useful

rated:
When do they check for eligibility? do you just order modem first and send in the eligibility doc to activate service ?

rated:
When you place your order you can attach photos of qualifying documents. I ordered this for a friend after hours on the 23rd, got email shipping confirmation on the 24th with actual service to start on the 27th. I submitted copies of their tax return and ID and it went off like clockwork. Thanks a bunch op!

rated:
fa282 said:     I've been looking into possible external antennaes to increase the speeds. Anyone know of an app. to check signal strenght for 4g lte through Sprint
  The ZTE Warp Connect has a [TS-9] port for an external antenna; the Franklin R850 has none. It also looks like both operate only on 2.4GHz (b,g,n).

rated:
thank you for sharing.my TV comes thru antenna too.How dose it connect to the net?

rated:
bddalal said:   thank you for sharing.my TV comes thru antenna too.How dose it connect to the net?
  Think of it like this: if you have a Sprint cell phone in your house and you can get a signal, you can connect to the internet on that cell phone. What this gizmo does is receive that Sprint cell phone data/internet signal and broadcasts it via wifi inside your house. You would connect to this wifi network just as you would connect your computer or other device to any other wifi connection (like at Starbucks but maybe call it "bddalal-wifi"). If you are not in a metropolitan area, and Sprint's signal has trouble reaching you, attaching an external antenna might give you a strong enough connection. I am not an expert on antennas but I believe your TV antenna would not work well for receiving the Sprint 4G LTE cell signal. Plug-and-Play antennas for the ZTE gizmo can be found on Amazon for around $20, or if you are Handy you can make your own for even less. I hope this answers your question. I was born in '63 and struggle to stay current on technology!

rated:
exbat said:   
I was born in 63 and struggle to stay current on technology!

I was born even earlier and i've always been a very hands on guy and a tech wiz for my time but it all progresses so fast now it's tough to keep up!

rated:
thanks op

rated:
thanks its a good deal for kids, and students who need internet to survive school. Not the best for gaming or streaming, etc. It isn't meant to do that, but it is great as a learning tool for people to get an equal playing field an access to the internet.

rated:
According to 'PCs for People', they subsidize a Mobile Beacon like the Sprint - ZTE Warp Connect so they can offer them for $74.95, but Bestbuy has the Boost Mobile - ZTE Warp Connect Mobile Hotspot for $49.99.

I don't know much about Boost, but don't they use Sprint towers ? If it would work, it would be two-thirds the price.

rated:
bddalal said:   thank you for sharing.my TV comes thru antenna too.How dose it connect to the net?
  You have to have a computer, ipad like device, phone, anything that can connect to WIFI and this device will connect to it. If your TV has WIFI and online apps, you can connect that way. Or you can get something like a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick and that will connect to this device through WIFI and deliver content to your TV, provided your TV has an HDMI connection. If you have an older TV that has none of this, and you don't have any computers or other devices, you won't be able to get the internet.

Cheapest option would be to get a cheap pad like Amazon offers and use this to connect. Lot's of people have old phones, some relatively new that can be uses as WIFI devices for FB and Internet. Ask your friends and family.

Streaming of things like Netflix might be limited.

If you are looking at this as a way to turn your TV into a computer, you will probably be disappointed.

rated:
Thanks BigBoy, we've got family members that may be interested..!

rated:
Izarus said:   According to 'PCs for People', they subsidize a Mobile Beacon like the Sprint - ZTE Warp Connect so they can offer them for $74.95, but Bestbuy has the Boost Mobile - ZTE Warp Connect Mobile Hotspot for $49.99.

I don't know much about Boost, but don't they use Sprint towers ? If it would work, it would be two-thirds the price.

Yeah there might be about $25 in there to cover their costs - it's coming from Sprint, PCs for people tried to get Sprint to allow people to bring their own devices but it was a no go from Sprint
I had the service for a couple years now, decent service. Make sure you ask for the ZTE Warp, if it's an option for your area (they have specific hotspots that they send to certain states) it has two antenna inputs; I added two outdoor antennas (I'm 7 mi from Sprint tower) made a big difference in the speeds I'm getting.
I do see up to 10 megs during slow load times like early am, but more typical this is the kind of speeds I'm seeing:
speed test 
Can't complain for $10 / mo, I live in the rural area with limited options for decent internet svc - mostly WISPs with high prices and slow svc. 

rated:
I'm thinking of setting this up for a relative. I noticed the ZTE Warp had an antenna port, where the other one doesn't, but I didn't know it had two.

If you know the location of the tower, why two antennas, and which did you purchase ? I've been looking around at some.

rated:
Dacoroman
Are those your antennaes in the picture?  what kind are they?  I've read that 2 antenneas on a TV will sometimes give a ghost image. Do you have any problems like that.

rated:
Izarus, one antenna will be fine two is even better. I purchased the Wilson 204411 which covers 700 - 2700 Mhz. Because of how LTE works you'll get best results from a pair of antennas installed at an angle.
LTE why two antennas

fa282 TV vs cell reception AFAIK two different things, I think with the above I answered your questions as well. 
Good luck! 

rated:
Dacoroman,

I can't watch the video where I am, it'll have to wait until I get back to my place on the weekend.

From what I've read, the Wilsons are basically universal signal boosters for cell frequencies, but the ones I was looking at are specifically made for the ZTE Warp:

https://antennagear.net/xhd-8dbi-sprint-zte-warp-connect-mf920vs...

I know the Wilsons are directional, but they are claiming some large gains from that omni-directional.

What kind of adapter is required between the Wilson and the ZTE ?

rated:
IMHO you're better off with a directional antenna vs what you posted above. Like someone posted above :
The ZTE Warp Connect has two [TS-9] ports for external antennas.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017