posted 1 month ago by
MISTERCHEAP
The Last MOTY

see banner at landing, no coupon needed.

www.papajohns.com

13 Comments
Add Comment
More deals in the official Papa Johns coupon thread.
rated:
How does it taste compared to a glutenous crust?

rated:
Thanks MC - passing this on to someone who has celiac disease.

rated:
I personally think it's comparable to a Domino's gluten free crust, which is a good thing!

rated:
dwayne33 said:   How does it taste compared to a glutenous crust?
† Gluten-free is non wheat, barley or rye. So the crust must be corn or oat-based. To me, that's tasteless.†

rated:
Definitely does not mean it's corn or oat based. Likely has rice, potato, and or tapioca flours. To achieve any kind of palatable gluten free crust you typically need to mix at least 3 flours. Very possible it has corn; but I'd say very unlikely on the oats.†

rated:
Thanks, but the "gluten free" thing is a gimmick when they also state:

Q: If I have Celiac Disease is it safe for me to eat a pizza made with Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust?

A: Papa Johnís does not recommend pizzas with Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust for customers with Celiac Disease. Although Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust is gluten-free and Papa Johnís employs procedures to prevent contact with gluten, it is possible that a pizza with Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust is exposed to gluten during the ordinary preparation process. Please use your best judgment in ordering a pizza with Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust if you have a sensitivity to gluten"

rated:
mikejensen said:   
dwayne33 said:   How does it taste compared to a glutenous crust?
† Gluten-free is non wheat, barley or rye. So the crust must be corn or oat-based. To me, that's tasteless.†

† " Sorghum, Teff, Amaranth, and Quinoa" plus binders and who knows what else.

rated:
Wow yea this is just jumping on the gluten free gimmick train. Good find Iray.

rated:
Promo code PAPASLAM takes 40% off menu price of any pizza the day after anyone hits a grand slam in a MLB game. This happens pretty often, so try the code even if you aren't sure. I used the code on Saturday for 2 gluten free pizzas. It applied to both. Honestly I primarily ordered the pizzas because Papa John's was giving out eclipse glasses with gluten free pizza orders. Unfortunately they ran out of the glasses. I guess I wasn't the only one searching for a way to get those glasses..

I was pleased with the pizzas. I ordered The Meats and The Works. The pizzas were small, but that seems standard for the delivery chains. The crust was on the thin side similar to a non rising frozen pizza. The crust tasted the same a regular glutenous crust of that thickness.

rated:
lray said:   Thanks, but the "gluten free" thing is a gimmick when they also state:

Q: If I have Celiac Disease is it safe for me to eat a pizza made with Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust?

A: Papa Johnís does not recommend pizzas with Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust for customers with Celiac Disease. Although Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust is gluten-free and Papa Johnís employs procedures to prevent contact with gluten, it is possible that a pizza with Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust is exposed to gluten during the ordinary preparation process. Please use your best judgment in ordering a pizza with Papa Johnís Ancient Grains Gluten-Free Crust if you have a sensitivity to gluten"

††
I think they are just being smart.† Don't you think that there is a whole mess of attorneys looking to sue them because the gluten-free crust pizza was made on the same pan or counter as the regular pizza (or something similar)?

rated:
slappycakes said:   
lray said:   Thanks, but the "gluten free" thing is a gimmick when they also state:

††
I think they are just being smart.† Don't you think that there is a whole mess of attorneys looking to sue them because the gluten-free crust pizza was made on the same pan or counter as the regular pizza (or something similar)?

They are being smart and removing the need for them to be careful or sufficiently train their employees about cross contamination. Ideally all surfaces and tools would be cleaned between each and every order, gluten free or not. I doubt that is the case. With their disclaimer, they could use the same pizza cutter, same pizza oven, and same pizza spatula on all pizzas, gluten free or not.

I am not saying they are wrong or bad, but the pizza is not gluten free. The dough was gluten free before it got to them.

I would challenge folks on figuring out the point of eating gluten free items if one is not sensitive to gluten. If one is sensitive to gluten, then Papa John's approach is likely not sufficient. I would advocate that restaurants be required to provide truth in advertising: having to meet the FDA gluten-free label standard in their final product to label it "gluten free." Otherwise call it something more truthful, like "gluten reduced."

rated:
The site is down for the time being :/

rated:

† Let me rephrase the answer:

A: Papa John's just wants to sell pizza to stupid people who don't really need to eliminate gluten from their diet but think if it's gluten free that a pizza magically becomes health food.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017