posted 26 days ago by
rockymast
Ancient Member

Annoucement: Link 

Newsdemon 
is offering a massive discount on 4TB usenet blocks. Up for $55 this Sunday and Monday; reg: $250.
Newsdemon Blog said: For this Sunday and Monday, Get A 4TB Block for only $55 NORMALLY $250 THAT’S A $195 IN SAVINGS!! USE COUPON CODE: ICEDRAGON Get A Non-Expiring 4TB Block Account for only $55.  No need to have the ability to see through the eyes of a raven to know this is a great deal! As a NewsDemon member, you’ll feel like a white walker dragon with an insatiable hunger while eating through this 4TB deal which includes:

USE COUPON CODE: ICEDRAGON

3200+ Days of Retention
50 Connections
Unlimited Speed
24/7 Support
Free Headers
Free Posting
Header Compression

23 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Ugh..would have prefered the $15 unlimited usenet x 3 months deal last week because it can renew. Still I think I may pick this up, a few months ago I surprised myself and ate through all my easynews data that I piled up. This 4tb should go far for me.

rated:
Just for the heck of it would somebody explain what this is, and how it's used?

rated:
Newsdemon seems to work great for current shows. Surely this is a great price!

rated:
russellt said:   Just for the heck of it would somebody explain what this is, and how it's used?  

Sorry, the first rule of usenet is do not talk about usenet.

rated:
Worked for me. Thanks.

rated:
I have a few questions: 

1. Compared to T's, are download speeds faster ? (I recently upgraded to gigabit and DL speed hardly changed)
2. Is a VPN necessary ?
3. Is there a learning curve ? (it's been ~ 20yrs since I used "newsgroups")

rated:
I haven't been on usenet for years.  Can someone recommend a cheap news reader?

rated:
Unfortunately news readers have NOT grown up well. Newsleech is probably the only traditional news reader that is currently updated. It has a good preview mode and isn't expensive to purchase, and is pretty powerful. The rest of the gammut of news "readers" are very optimized at downloading files and nothing else. One of the more popular programs, SABnzbd, actually has no interaction with the news service and requires you to obtain the nzb file of the files you want to download from another service.

bluerib, you should beable to max out your connection with multiple connections. It is very hard to max on one connection because of slow downs in between you and the server. Thankfully the multi post nature of usenet binaries makes this easy to do. VPN isn't necessary unless you are someplace you need to hide your newsgroup connections from, like work, or countries with restrictive internet access. News groups is still based on the same old tech, we just have better tools to handle faster connections and bigger files.

russellt, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup

rated:
blueribb said:   I have a few questions: 

1. Compared to T's, are download speeds faster ? (I recently upgraded to gigabit and DL speed hardly changed)
2. Is a VPN necessary ?

Feel free to ask or PM if you have specific questions, download speeds are going to vary wildly depending on a brazilian factors. I have a dedicated server in a datacenter and tried two or three providers before finding one capable of saturating the servers gigabit connection. As mentioned previously, multiple connections will help but you'll want to try some finetuning. More connections doesnt equal more speed, past a certain number it's counterproductive so while my provider supports 50 using 20 is enough. At home saturating a 340down connection is no problem. 

VPNs are pretty unnecessary but paranoid people may feel differently.

The learning curve is going to be based on what you want to accomplish. It's definitely 98% different from whatever you were used to before, but really for the better. If it's TV you want it for then it's mostly automated after some minor initial setup. Join a good indexer or two and you'll be good to go.

rated:
starcastic said:   
blueribb said:   I have a few questions: 

2. Is a VPN necessary ?

Feel free to ask or PM if you have specific questions, download speeds are going to vary wildly depending on a brazilian factors. I have a dedicated server in a datacenter and tried two or three providers before finding one capable of saturating the servers gigabit connection. As mentioned previously, multiple connections will help but you'll want to try some finetuning. More connections doesnt equal more speed, past a certain number it's counterproductive so while my provider supports 50 using 20 is enough. At home saturating a 340down connection is no problem. 

VPNs are pretty unnecessary but paranoid people may feel differently.

The learning curve is going to be based on what you want to accomplish. It's definitely 98% different from whatever you were used to before, but really for the better. If it's TV you want it for then it's mostly automated after some minor initial setup. Join a good indexer or two and you'll be good to go.

I sent you a PM. I want to take advantage of this deal but I need assistance. Can I use Grabit with Newsdemon ? I think I remember using Grabit about 15 to 20 years ago and I'm sure things have changed since then. I'm not sure what an "indexer" does and why I would need it. If I choose Grabit, do I need to pay them for a plan ? 

rated:
the lowest price i see for this is 3 dollar a month for unlimited

rated:
blueribb said:     I sent you a PM. I want to take advantage of this deal but I need assistance. Can I use Grabit with Newsdemon ? I think I remember using Grabit about 15 to 20 years ago and I'm sure things have changed since then. I'm not sure what an "indexer" does and why I would need it. If I choose Grabit, do I need to pay them for a plan ? 
  Grabit works fine. An indexer is in plain terms, a very basic "english" way of searching out a file or series of files that have been posted to usenet. Indexers generally do not house the binaries, but simply the message ID's of them all. Selecting what you want, you will download a nzb file which you feed into grabit or sanzbd and it handles the entire process of downloading it from the news server. 

rated:
guardianx said:   the lowest price i see for this is 3 dollar a month for unlimited
  where ?

rated:
jeffmd said:   
blueribb said:     I sent you a PM. I want to take advantage of this deal but I need assistance. Can I use Grabit with Newsdemon ? I think I remember using Grabit about 15 to 20 years ago and I'm sure things have changed since then. I'm not sure what an "indexer" does and why I would need it. If I choose Grabit, do I need to pay them for a plan ? 
  Grabit works fine. An indexer is in plain terms, a very basic "english" way of searching out a file or series of files that have been posted to usenet. Indexers generally do not house the binaries, but simply the message ID's of them all. Selecting what you want, you will download a nzb file which you feed into grabit or sanzbd and it handles the entire process of downloading it from the news server. 

So a program like SABnzbd does the downloading and assembling of multi-part files but doesn't have a search function ? 

rated:
I just tried to sign-up via Paypal for the 4TB deal and got this error message:

Errors:

• Discount Coupon %s is either Invalid or has Expired. Please try a different coupon or continue to sign up at regular price

It looks like they pulled the deal

rated:
blueribb said:   

So a program like SABnzbd does the downloading and assembling of multi-part files but doesn't have a search function ? 

Right, news servers themselves don't have search functions as it is not part of the server software as all..save easynews.com which actually decodes everything and simply presents all the binaries through a web portal interface. So you either need to scroll through ALL post with a news reader or use an index service to find the post and then a program to pull the post and decode the binaries from your own news server. 

rated:
Update: I sent a private message to Newsdemon last night because of the error message when trying to sign up and they responded by saying the special had expired but that they would honor the special price if I signed up now. I decided to try SABnzdb 2.2.1 and they offered to assist in setting it up. Now I have to pick an Index Service.

Any suggestions ?

Is NZBFinder.ws any good ?

rated:
guardianx said:   the lowest price i see for this is 3 dollar a month for unlimited
  me too

rated:
$3/month deal at the season start was best... glad I took it

rated:
I got the 4TB Block and spent the entire day wrapping my head around the whole Usenet thing. I ended up using NZB - Tortuga for the Indexer (search engine), NZBGet for the Downloader and NewsDemon for the Usenet Provider. Download speed using Verizon's gigabit is excellent.

rated:
binsearch.info is anther Indexer that is free and no membership.

rated:
Here are reviews, from Usenet of many different NZB sites, they all offer free browsing and they also offer paid plans......Link

rated:
Worked. thanks OP!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017