rated:
Wallyworld also sells/exchanges Blue Rhino and are the same price (helpful if you have a Wallymart near you but not a Lowe's ). Not sure if they're in the list of "approved retailers" for Blue Rhino but I imagine they might be.

If your tank isn't expired then it is much more economical to get it refilled rather than exchanged ($11-$12 for a full 20 lbs of propane when refilled versus $12-$15 for 15 lbs exchanged) but this is an excellent option if your tank is expired. I rummaged through the cage when exchanging my 1995 tank and struck gold with a 2015 tank last month, so now I can refill that one for the next 10 years. As long as your expired tank doesn't have excessive rust and has the OPD triangular valve they'll pretty much take it.

rated:
Last time I got my tanks filled at Tractor Supply, the guy put 4.5 gallons in, which is about 19 lbs. The cost was $12. They charge by the gallon, not a fixed price. Since they are a large company, they instruct their employees to watch the expiration date carefully.

That 12 year expiration is quite the racket. How many tanks in the country have a problem? They probably set the expiration date based on leaving a tank out in the open at a seashore cottage. Then everyone else that doesn't live in a salty environment has to pay to replace perfectly good tanks.

rated:
Do you have to bring in a tank to exchange or can you get a tank without exchange?

rated:
Though cheaper to refill a tank, this is a good way to get a newer tank if your tank is too old to refill (12 years, I think).

rated:
Should be labeled as tank exchange. They don't fill them. You bring the empty one, you take a full one. You can purchase a full tank though.

rated:
FYI w/ regard to the expired tank racket -- Expired tanks are re-inspected, re-dated, and put back into service. The expiration date doesn't mean that the tank gets thrown out.

rated:
Just got my grill, now need a tank and would be great if it is prefill too. Where is a good place to check out? So far everywhere I check the price is $48.xx

rated:
Lots of bad tanks reported

rated:
My friend's tank exploded while cooking. He was in hospital for a week with 3rd degree burns. Don't take a chance, it's not worth it.

rated:
In Chicago area, UHaul charges $4 per gal which is about $18 (with tax) for a full 15lb tank.....Menards also refills but they charge flat $20 for a 15 lb tank regardless of how much the add to the tank. 

rated:
Scottw2 said:   My friend's tank exploded while cooking. He was in hospital for a week with 3rd degree burns. Don't take a chance, it's not worth it.
You basically have to light a bonfire under a propane tank to get it to explode.  You might get a rupture if you shoot it with a high power rifle, but Mythbusters showed that even a tracer round won't ignite it.

rated:
Scottw2 said:   My friend's tank exploded while cooking. He was in hospital for a week with 3rd degree burns. Don't take a chance, it's not worth it.
  and what was he doing that caused it to explode so we don't make the same mistake?  There are millions of people in the US use propane and we rarely hear about the explosion unless people make stupid mistakes such as the exploding car in FL a few weeks ago.

rated:

Don't take a chance on what?  Don't use propane tank?  Don't use gas?  Don't use fire to cook?  Don't cook anything yourself cause it's too dangerous?

rated:
tuphat said:   
You basically have to light a bonfire under a propane tank to get it to explode.  You might get a rupture if you shoot it with a high power rifle, but Mythbusters showed that even a tracer round won't ignite it.

If there's a large enough leak theoretically it could cause the tank to explode.

Another big problem (if you read reviews on Lowes and other sites) is that while these are 20lb tanks, Blue Rhino cheats customers by not even filling to their advertised 15lbs...often its only to 12lbs or so.

rated:
Looks like rebate would also work at Walmart, which I just discovered sells propane exchanges for $14-15 as an everyday price.

rated:
ach1199 said:   
  and what was he doing that caused it to explode so we don't make the same mistake?  There are millions of people in the US use propane and we rarely hear about the explosion unless people make stupid mistakes such as the exploding car in FL a few weeks ago.

I had to rehab a couple of houses that were damaged by a propane tank. One neighbor had a cookout and forgot to turn off their grill on the deck. Later that night while everyone was asleep the grill somehow set fire to the deck, and when it got going the propane tank turned into a missile and shot off the deck and through the gable of the neighbors house setting the attic on fire.

When firefighters arrived they worked on getting the original fire under control as nobody noticed the other house was on fire (those neighbors were on vacation). The original house lost the deck, garage and two cars, kitchen and two bedrooms upstairs. The other house lost a bedroom and had a good amount water damage.

rated:
What is the Proof of Purchase on these? Do we have to peel a upc off the tank?

rated:
ArmchairArchitect said:   Looks like rebate would also work at Walmart, which I just discovered sells propane exchanges for $14-15 as an everyday price.
  I did this rebate a while back at a "USA" gas station (receipt said Tesoro).  No problems other than being a bit slow.

rated:
What ever happened to all the millions of 20-lb tanks exchanged for these lesser 15-lb tanks, most as people didn't even realize?

My two old 20-lb tanks get filled at a local propane supply place, no problems.

rated:
q2nn said:   What ever happened to all the millions of 20-lb tanks exchanged for these lesser 15-lb tanks, most as people didn't even realize?

My two old 20-lb tanks get filled at a local propane supply place, no problems.

Blue Rhino uses 20-lb tanks, they just under fill them with only 15-lbs of propane.

rated:
The last time that I did this rebate, the UPC was on the plastic label that is wrapped around the tank.

rated:
mosurfzac said:   Do you have to bring in a tank to exchange or can you get a tank without exchange?
  You have to actually buy the (used) tank from them, at additional cost.  Better to just buy a new empty tank and get it filled locally.
dpacman said:   What is the Proof of Purchase on these? Do we have to peel a upc off the tank?
There is a proof of purchase on the Blue Rhino wrap on the tank, if I remember correctly. I just cut it out last time.. though hard to get behind the wrap to 'cut', so more like slicing it.

rated:
Would that be the same Blue Rhino that was toasted over hot coals by the FTC for underfilling tanks and price fixing?

https://chimicles.com/blue-rhino-and-amerigas-propane-pricing-cl...

rated:
DrKlahn said:   Would that be the same Blue Rhino that was toasted over hot coals by the FTC for underfilling tanks and price fixing?

https://chimicles.com/blue-rhino-and-amerigas-propane-pricing-class-action-lawsuit/

and the ones who train their resellers to tell customers that 15 lbs "it is mandated by the Federal Government for safety reasons". I can't tell you how many times I have heard that lie.

I have even heard from the big exchange company reps directly (at trade shows) that it is illegal to put more than 15 lbs in a 20 lb tank "because of possible expansion of the propane". Simply not true. Tank designs have always had to accommodate expansion. To be DOT certified, tanks have to accommodate a complete fill. It won't be a full 20 pounds, but it will certainly be more than 15.

So, to get the most for your money, it is usually best to get tanks refilled by someone who charges by the gallon or pound (not a flat rate per tank, or a "minimum charge per tank" that is higher than the actual capacity of the tank). In my area, that costs less than $2 a gallon (usually about $8/tank).  Only exchange when your tanks need to be recertified. If you need a new tank, it is usually cheaper to go to Home Depott or Lowe$ and buy a new tank (about $20) rather than buying a used tank from an exchange place (and paying about $40-50 in my area).

rated:
These say 15 lbs, but they are really 20 lbs? Do I have this right?  So I could buy this and have it refilled to 20 lbs for 12 years, then exchange it at a blue rhino swap place, then continue to take the exchanged one down and have someone else fill it to 20 lbs till it's 12 years were up (whatever it had left).  am i thinking correctly?

rated:
I admit I'm kinda confused on a few levels about this deal. Are these new or cleaned up / used tanks?

rated:
Looks like used.

rated:
The tanks are used and are cleaned up a little and have a plastic wrap around them. The condition of the tanks vary widely. These are 20 lbs tanks, which is the maximum amount that can safely stored in the tank at the optimum temperature. Blue Rhino fills them to 15 lbs which is only 75% full. If you take a tank to a refill station, they will usually fill to 16-20 lbs. There is a float valve inside that prevents them from being over filled.

At this deal price the cost of the Blue Rhino tank is about $0.80/lbs for the propane. Which means that if you can get a tank refilled to 20lbs for less than $16 you are getting a better deal. In my area it is hard to find anyone that will do a full fill for under $16 and never know how much you will actually get.

rated:
icecow said:   These say 15 lbs, but they are really 20 lbs? Do I have this right?  So I could buy this and have it refilled to 20 lbs for 12 years, then exchange it at a blue rhino swap place, then continue to take the exchanged one down and have someone else fill it to 20 lbs till it's 12 years were up (whatever it had left).  am i thinking correctly?
  Exactly. Blue Rhino (and all the exchange companies I have seen around the country) will sell you a tank that can hold 20lb, but it will only be 3/4 full. Once you have the tank, strip off the plastic (it just traps moisture which causes rust. and they don't care whether it has a wrapper when you exchange it), and get it refilled to 20Lbs until the expiration date on the tank, then exchange it and get a different 3/4 full tank. Rinse and repeat. Virtually all the tanks in their exchange rack are used - and some are nearing their expiration date, but t you can usually sort through the tanks a bit to get one with a long date if you want to keep refilling it.

rated:
I do this exact thing. Most importantly exchange where they have a lot of tanks and ask to pick out your own. Get the one with the latest date stamp. I exchange at Lowes even though it costs a few dollars extra because they will have brand new tanks. 

rated:
I have an AirGas store nearby that has been advertising 20# refills for $9.99. This has been ongoing for at least a few months now.

Unfortunately my tank was old, so I just exchanged at WalMart.

rated:
Lowe's sells tanks that aren't full (at least the one near me). I last got my tank at Walmart, and it has lasted about twice the time as my last few Lowe's swaps.

rated:
WorkerAnt said:   

Don't take a chance on what?  Don't use propane tank?  Don't use gas?  Don't use fire to cook?  Don't cook anything yourself cause it's too dangerous?

It is said that the Dragon Warrior can survive for months at a time on nothing but the dew of a single ginko leaf and the energy of the universe.

rated:
FWIW there is also a $3 ibotta rebate that I'm sure you can double dip on, but its only valid at RiteAid (at least in my app - may vary per region/user)

rated:
Anyone able to open the rebate form?  I can't.  

rated:
Claymore said:   Anyone able to open the rebate form?  I can't.  
  I have no problem to open the rebate form.

rated:
wizardking said:   
It is said that the Dragon Warrior can survive for months at a time on nothing but the dew of a single ginko leaf and the energy of the universe.

The truly enlightened mind can wax prosperous indefinitely off of the nearest Little Caesar's dumpster. Pepperoni every day does impede one's progess toward satori, though.  

rated:
icecow said:   These say 15 lbs, but they are really 20 lbs? Do I have this right?  So I could buy this and have it refilled to 20 lbs for 12 years, then exchange it at a blue rhino swap place, then continue to take the exchanged one down and have someone else fill it to 20 lbs till it's 12 years were up (whatever it had left).  am i thinking correctly?
  well, remember these are used tanks too, so you're unlikely to get one brand new.  I think the newest I saw when last exchanged a couple old tanks (and had a helpful cashier willing to let me check several) was already five years old.  Yes, you can get these refilled by any propane seller that fills these kind of tanks, up to their regular 20lb max.  The tank is effectively yours and you can do whatever you want with it.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017