posted 15 days ago by
Sleepthieves
Nerdy Member

Castrol GTX Magnatec Synthetic Motor Oil - 5-Quart (5W-20) - $15.90 FSP @ Walmart

Prime members can get it at Amazon for the same price with free shipping.

I personally used this oil for about 2 years till AA stopped stocking it. Had a couple bottles hangin around, now I'll actually get to use them.

23 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Thanks op

rated:
Thanks OP!

rated:
Best price I can find. Product is not widely available zon.

rated:
In for 1. Thanks!

rated:
I just bought Quaker State 5w-20 the other day for about $20! Ugh!

rated:
When you order, WM dot com has the Motorcraft oil filter for a good price  $3.19
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=motorcraft%20oil%20filter%...

If store purchase is preferred they will match WM dot com price if theirs is higher

rated:
I have found the wm dot com is a great place for tires.
he store will mount (free)  and balance and new stem for $12

rated:
just need a rebate now

rated:
not bad - $5.78 for my extra make-up quart though (DAMN YOU FORD WITH YOUR 6QT FILL! - that extra quart kills most deals unless I buy an extra 5qt to keep around). I know Castrol magnatec is decent oil, but still not really into extended OCI territory like better synthetics (also FYI, only 5w20 is full synthetic - 5w30/10w30 are blended). Right now, I'm at work so it's hard to find any info on additive packages and used oil analysis results, but from what I remember, you still wouldn't want to push this oil past your standard oil change interval or 7500-10000 miles (with a decent filter, that is). Also, make sure it meets your manufacturer's oil specifications per the manual. For instance, don't put a non-Dexos approved oil into a late model GM unless you like sludge/varnish/carbon and oil that shears to almost nothing within a few thousand miles.

FWIW, I've been using Meijer's house brand Autoquest oil in my Grand Marquis with a 4.6L modular V8. I've been running their High Mileage Synthetic blend (blended by warren oil) at 6k-7k mile oil change intervals and I typically pick it up for $14/5qt container or less with coupons. For instance, last time I was there I got 2 5qt containers for B1G1 50% off - so that's about $21. Add two makeup quarts at $3.79 each and two motorcraft FL820s filters for $4 each and that takes us up to $36.60. Finally, take off the $5 off of $30 automotive purchase coupon and I have two oil changes for approx. $34 after tax. If I went straight Dino, it'd be even cheaper - Their full synthetic, which is actually relabled Lubrigold (a fantastic oil, but still not an extended (10-15K mile) drain interval oil) is only $17.50/5Qt and is also usually on sale.

I thought about doing mobile 1's annual protection, but with my higher than average idling and towing, I still wouldn't push it past 17.5K-20K - When I priced it out at Walmart, after $10 rebate, I'd end up spending $50 including make up quart and synthetic media extended OCI filter. Sure, it's almost equivalent in pricing with less labor than doing 3 oil changes with cheaper oil, but I get piece of mind when I change my oil every 4 months - it gives me a chance to inspect everything else under the car... or freeze my ass off in the winter time.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   I have found the wm dot com is a great place for tires.
he store will mount (free)  and balance and new stem for $12

Yes, wm dot com is the bomb for tires.  Just have to trust them to install correctly.  lifetime balancing also.

rated:
RE:
$5.78 for my extra make-up quart though (DAMN YOU FORD WITH YOUR 6QT FILL!

I have 3 of those cars, just buy extra 5 qt containers

rated:
How bad is it to switch from regular oil to synthetic oil?

rated:
wenliyurama said:   How bad is it to switch from regular oil to synthetic oil?
  Nowadays there isn't any real issues with incompatible detergents/formulations and whatnot - No matter what the oil is, as long as it meets your vehicle's oil spec (for instance - ford oil specs ) than you should be fine - the only difference between synthetic and conventional oil is where the base oil stock is sourced - synthetics are man-made and tend to hold up better with less breakdown and shearing (loss of viscosity) and less oxidization, burning, and sludging as conventional oil. The days of "you can't switch oils!" are long gone - not since the 90's has there been any issues. 
 HOWEVER - keep in mind, depending on the vehicle - you may want to not push the oil change interval on your first run of synthetic - some synthetics have much better detergent and cleaning action than others - this causes a lot of crud and varnish to get lodged free or dissolved into the oil.. On an older vehicle, there's also always the small risk of leaks/oil consumption getting slightly worse or appearing - a high mileage formulation helps a little bit in this respect (more conditioners and less detergents, IIRC). Of course, you could also just try using an engine flush product prior to changing over.
 Also, again - check to see that whatever oil you are using meets the CURRENT oil specification set by the manufacturer for your vehicle (unless you're like half the guys on various ford/modular V8/oil forums and "know what you're doing")
yesidonoitall said:   

yeah.... my allotted garage space is pretty limited (and also full of 2 cycle oil at the moment) and I've got ONE vehicle... My dad's F-150 takes 7Qts of 5w20, but he only changes his oil once per year. Plus, you just never know what might come down the pipe later on - I could stock up but I don't want to buy 7 gallons of oil at a time just to get a middle of the road synthetic for $3.30ish/quart - especially if i ever wanted to change viscosity -Maybe I want to try a 0W-20 to see if I get any better mileage, or perhaps run some Rotella T6 (5w-40) in the summertime if I plan on doing a lot of towing or just need a good deep cleaning...
Meijer has their Autoquest synthetic (same oil as Warren Oil's Lubrigold line (and dexos1 approved for you GM kooks out there)) 5 quart containers 2 for $28 ($2.80/qt) right now - add a filter and that gets you another $5 off of $30 automotive coupon. I'd use either oil for a full 7.5K mile OCI. Meijer also has Pennzoil Platinum 5qt containers @ 22.99 right now - buy 2 and get $10 off instantly and then theres ALSO a $10 MIR ($5 per 5qt container, up to 4) available ALSO $5 off $30 automotive coupon (in circular or mperks) - that's $16 ($3.20/qt) each BEFORE the MIR (or $2.20/qt after rebate) - that's a great deal - higher tier oil for the same price or less after rebate. in fact... check out their automotive circular for the week - prices are valid through 9/9/17

Again, i just wanted to stress - THIS IS CASTROL'S LOWEST GRADE SYNTHETIC (or semi-synthetic) - this isn't an extended lifespan oil like castrol edge/Mobile 1 Extended/Pennzoil Ultra Platinum/etc.  it's a base level synthetic suitable for vehicles that require it (assuming it meets vehicle's oil specs).

rated:
Mobil 1 rebate $12 on 5 quarts of oil which is $22.88 at Walmart bringing the price to $10.88
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/fall-rebate-2...

rated:
I went on the website and couldn't discern if you could do two rebates like previously. Does anyone know? Thanks, mike

rated:
 bobbybore said:   Mobil 1 rebate $12 on 5 quarts of oil which is $22.88 at Walmart bringing the price to $10.88
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/fall-rebate-2017

Walmart is not listed as a participating retailer for this rebate program best I can tell 

rated:
Hardworkin said:   I went on the website and couldn't discern if you could do two rebates like previously. Does anyone know? Thanks, mike
  Limit of two (2) rebates per household, regardless of rebate amount and regardless of submission method 

rated:
PURCHASE:
Five (5) quarts OR a Castrol® oil change service featuring Castrol® GTX® High Mileage,
Castrol® GTX® MAGNATEC®, Castrol® EDGE® or Castrol® EDGE® High Mileage between
9/1/17 and 1/31/18.
RECEIVE:
An NFL team-specific fleece throw by mail. Note: If you purchased Castrol GTX
High Mileage or Castrol GTX MAGNATEC, you must submit $6.95 for shipping
and handling to receive your NFL fleece throw.
TO REDEEM OFFER ONLINE:
1. Visit www.castrolpromotion.co m

rated:
born2gogolf said:   
 bobbybore said:   Mobil 1 rebate $12 on 5 quarts of oil which is $22.88 at Walmart bringing the price to $10.88

Walmart is not listed as a participating retailer for this rebate program best I can tell 

I've bought at Walmart 4-5 times now and the rebate has always come through.
It's been discussed mutliple times now in the Mobil 1 rebate threads.

rated:
joeparker54 said:   not bad - $5.78 for my extra make-up quart though (DAMN YOU FORD WITH YOUR 6QT FILL! - that extra quart kills most deals unless I buy an extra 5qt to keep around). I know Castrol magnatec is decent oil, but still not really into extended OCI territory like better synthetics (also FYI, only 5w20 is full synthetic - 5w30/10w30 are blended). Right now, I'm at work so it's hard to find any info on additive packages and used oil analysis results, but from what I remember, you still wouldn't want to push this oil past your standard oil change interval or 7500-10000 miles (with a decent filter, that is). Also, make sure it meets your manufacturer's oil specifications per the manual. For instance, don't put a non-Dexos approved oil into a late model GM unless you like sludge/varnish/carbon and oil that shears to almost nothing within a few thousand miles.

FWIW, I've been using Meijer's house brand Autoquest oil in my Grand Marquis with a 4.6L modular V8. I've been running their High Mileage Synthetic blend (blended by warren oil) at 6k-7k mile oil change intervals and I typically pick it up for $14/5qt container or less with coupons. For instance, last time I was there I got 2 5qt containers for B1G1 50% off - so that's about $21. Add two makeup quarts at $3.79 each and two motorcraft FL820s filters for $4 each and that takes us up to $36.60. Finally, take off the $5 off of $30 automotive purchase coupon and I have two oil changes for approx. $34 after tax. If I went straight Dino, it'd be even cheaper - Their full synthetic, which is actually relabled Lubrigold (a fantastic oil, but still not an extended (10-15K mile) drain interval oil) is only $17.50/5Qt and is also usually on sale.

I thought about doing mobile 1's annual protection, but with my higher than average idling and towing, I still wouldn't push it past 17.5K-20K - When I priced it out at Walmart, after $10 rebate, I'd end up spending $50 including make up quart and synthetic media extended OCI filter. Sure, it's almost equivalent in pricing with less labor than doing 3 oil changes with cheaper oil, but I get piece of mind when I change my oil every 4 months - it gives me a chance to inspect everything else under the car... or freeze my ass off in the winter time.

They are all full synthetic. Looking at the different grade bottles right now. 

rated:
mainomega said:     
They are all full synthetic. Looking at the different grade bottles right now. 

My mistake - looks like 10w30 is the only blend - 5w30 is indeed full synthetic

rated:
I always wondered why the Ford Motorcraft brand is only
BLENDED

rated:
born2gogolf said:   

Walmart is a participating retailer and has always worked for me

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017