Posted with ToGo

AT&T Prepaid - Apple iPhone SE 4G LTE with 32GB Memory Prepaid Cell Phone - Space Gray
$139.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-prepaid-apple-iphone-se-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-prepaid-cell-phone-space-gray/5792701.p?skuId=5792701

25 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Sep. 19, 2017 @ 9:26pm
rated:
I think gone are the days where you can easily get att go phones unlocked right after you purchased them. You need to have these active for 6 months before they will unlock. 

rated:
Hmm I thought AT&T will unlock phones not purchased from them.

Hoping for feedback from any one tried to unlock these recently.

rated:
What's the cheapest prepaid plan with AT&T, if you have to stay the 6 months?

rated:
they work on Cricket

rated:
Previous thread from 2 weeks ago it was $149. This is Better deal.  Of course I bought at higher price ... my luck. 

rated:
sekharnet said:   Hmm I thought AT&T will unlock phones not purchased from them.

Hoping for feedback from any one tried to unlock these recently.

They will but you have to wait 6 months on a prepaid phone no matter who you get it from..  I just went through that.

rated:
If you want to unlock it, use the iSIM:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iSIM-Unlocks-any-iPhone-INSTANT-iPhone-U...

It's very easy to use it on another network with the iSIM.

rated:
Any AT&T compatible MVNO carrier will have SIMs that work for your phone. Just watch for the fine print on the MVNOs that you sign up with.

rated:
As posted a few weeks ago (when the price was considerably higher than it is now), 
AT&T will not unlock these anymore. But it's a (very) good deal if you're already on AT&T - just move your existing SIM to this phone. However, once you start using the phone with your AT&T postpaid SIM, within a couple  of hours it will quit working due to a security issue. You then have to call customer service and prove via emailing your purchase receipt that the phone isn't stolen. There's a short process they tell you to follow, then all is well after that. So keep your receipt!   And don't start using it when you're in a time crunch.  Wait until you have 20-30 minutes.

rated:
music4u4 said:   If you want to unlock it, use the iSIM:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iSIM-Unlocks-any-iPhone-INSTANT-iPhone-U... 

It's very easy to use it on another network with the iSIM.

While it may allow you to use it on other carriers it doesn't actually UNLOCK it but just bypasses the lock. Great idea but if you want to sell the phone later on trying to explain how it is "unlocked" may be an issue.  Also, like the old "sim adapters" it could easily get stuck in the phone.  Also APPLE can easily block it with a firmware update.

rated:
If you use this for 6 months with an ATT MVNO like say H20 wireless, is it then eligible for unlocking, or does it have to be with ATT's prepaid service?
Also, cricket allows for unlocking if you subscribe to the unlimited plan. So if one were to get this phone, then get a cricket sim and an unlimited plan, can one put in for an unlock request, or does it have to be a phone bought through cricket (cricket is owned and operated by ATT, so in theory, ATT prepaid and Cricket Wireless are just two differently branded versions of the same offering)...

thank you all in advance for your help!

rated:
KKDowing said:   they work on Cricket
  Is this a statement or a question?  I'm hoping it is a statement since I was going to use it on Cricket.

rated:
Statement... Works fine with Cricket.

rated:
At&t pp does have a pay as you go plan, which I'd think would probably qualify for the 6 month unlocking....so other than a wait it would be little or no money oop?

rated:
does this work on postpaid plan?

rated:
getgreen said:   If you use this for 6 months with an ATT MVNO like say H20 wireless, is it then eligible for unlocking, or does it have to be with ATT's prepaid service?
Also, cricket allows for unlocking if you subscribe to the unlimited plan. So if one were to get this phone, then get a cricket sim and an unlimited plan, can one put in for an unlock request, or does it have to be a phone bought through cricket (cricket is owned and operated by ATT, so in theory, ATT prepaid and Cricket Wireless are just two differently branded versions of the same offering)...

thank you all in advance for your help!

Well, I applied for unlock through my POSTPAID account which is where my wife is using the phone and the email said I had to have it active for 6 months.  I would assume it has to be with ATT pre or postpaid.

rated:
windingpath said:   does this work on postpaid plan?
  Yes (I am), but read the message in this thread what you will have to do.

rated:
Does this work on Virgin Mobile so I can get a year of service for $1?

rated:
golgo1313 said:   I think gone are the days where you can easily get att go phones unlocked right after you purchased them. You need to have these active for 6 months before they will unlock. 
 Here is the trick to have an att go phone unlocked without it been active for 6 months. I bought 2 att Phoenix 2 gophones via att.com a week ago and successfully unlocked them.. When the phone arrives, DO NOT power it on. Remove the sim card that came with a phone number already assigned. Insert this sim card into any unlocked phone. Turn the phone on. Attempt to make a call from that phone. It will fail.  Leave the sim inserted and the phone on for 24hrs. Next go online to att and request unlock as a non-customer. The fulfillment is a lot faster now too. I got an unlocked code within an hour. In the past you had to wait several days. Now insert a non att sim card in the gophone, power it on and input unlock code.

rated:
anticashcow said:   
golgo1313 said:   I think gone are the days where you can easily get att go phones unlocked right after you purchased them. You need to have these active for 6 months before they will unlock. 
 Here is the trick to have an att go phone unlocked without it been active for 6 months. I bought 2 att Phoenix 2 gophones via att.com a week ago and successfully unlocked them.. When the phone arrives, DO NOT power it on. Remove the sim card that came with a phone number already assigned. Insert this sim card into any unlocked phone. Turn the phone on. Attempt to make a call from that phone. It will fail.  Leave the sim inserted and the phone on for 24hrs. Next go online to att and request unlock as a non-customer. The fulfillment is a lot faster now too. I got an unlocked code within an hour. In the past you had to wait several days. Now insert a non att sim card in the gophone, power it on and input unlock code.

iPhones do not use unlock codes.  The carrier submits the IMEI of an iPhone to Apple for Apple to unlock.  Upon completion of the unlocking process, the carrier contacts the customer to inform them that their device is unlocked.

rated:
It's too bad that this site has become "spoon feed me" central. Every dumb question asked in this thread has been answered countless times in other threads.

BTW, FW has a very good "search" function.

This is an AT&T phone.

Not a Cricket phone.
Not an H2O phone.
Not a Tracfone.
Not an AirVoice phone.
Not a ______ phone.

If people insist on buying and using this phone on other carriers (without paying for an unlock), AT&T isn't going to be happy. Nor are they going to unlock the damn thing.

Unless you pay for the unlock or (supposedly) use one of those RSIM temporary bandaids, the phone has to be activated on AT&T and used for 6 months. That's it. The quick and easy, nickel and dime routines don't work on this phone.

rated:
If you already bought this AT&T prepaid iPhone SE when it cost $189 or $199, just weeks ago, remember to check whether your credit card offers a "price protection" benefit. You can file a claim for the difference as long as you have all the supporting documentation (your receipt, the current lower priced ad, and whatever else) they require.

rated:
I ended up pulling the trigger on this. Switched two lines from Verizon post-paid to AT&T pre-paid. Triple the data (4GB shared to 6GBx2), has access to 4G LTE network, mobile hotspot, and included roaming in Mexico and Canada (voice, text, data). Saved me around $6 from the get go, compared to my old Verizon bill.

Beware, if you purchase the phone from Best Buy and take it to AT&T for activation....even if you're going to pre-paid service, you will still encounter the security issue mentioned above. You'll have to e-mail your Bestbuy receipt to the dedicated AT&T prepaid support mailbox and they will clear out the security block right away. It's easier if you just call 611 from your phone and you'll be referred to Tech Support who will guide you over.

FYI, you've until the 21st to open new line with AT&T prepaid to receive FREE two months (3rd and 12th month) credit. I discovered this only after I ported the numbers. Keep in mind, if you're planning to use Multi-line discount, beware that the free two months only applied to account owner. So, you might be better off not merging your lines to take advantage of the promotion.

rated:
lindelynn said:   As posted a few weeks ago (when the price was considerably higher than it is now), 

AT&T will not unlock these anymore. But it's a (very) good deal if you're already on AT&T - just move your existing SIM to this phone. However, once you start using the phone with your AT&T postpaid SIM, within a couple  of hours it will quit working due to a security issue. You then have to call customer service and prove via emailing your purchase receipt that the phone isn't stolen. There's a short process they tell you to follow, then all is well after that. So keep your receipt!   And don't start using it when you're in a time crunch.  Wait until you have 20-30 minutes.

Correct!  I put in my SIM from another AT&T phone line (non-prepaid).  Phone was okay for 2-3 hours.  Then I went to sleep.  Next day, the phone had no signal but that's just my area.  Took the phone to work and saw 3 bars, AT&T network.  However, I made a phone call to myself and it was busy.  **SECURITY BLOCK**  Called 611 on that phone and talked to CSR and explained I bought this phone to use with AT&T and only AT&T and I just want it to work.  Also said I was a blackberry user and not familiar with the fancy iphone set up process and wanted to know why the phone did not take incoming calls.  I gave her the IMEI number.

She explained it was a prepaid phone and some other jargon around prepaid.  Also asked for a 4 digit password to my account which I didn't have.  Never set up an online profile.  I told her that I didn't understand all this fancy iphone jazz and she needed to dumb it down for me.  She gave me an email address for ATT prepaid support and said I needed to fax my receipt there.

I paused and said, DUH?  You mean I need to verify that I bought this phone and it's not stolen?  She said yes.  I emailed the receipt and my phone number and a simple message that I would like to use this phone ONLY for AT&T and don't understand the fancy mechanics of the iphone.  Also included the IMEI.  About 3 hours later, I see an LTE signal pop up and some scammer calling the phone from a different area code. 

I test the phone line by calling it.  Voila!  Activated without anymore issues.  The phone is also listed for $349 at the Apple Store.  That is just crazy and expensive.

rated:
Soliloquy said:   Any AT&T compatible MVNO carrier will have SIMs that work for your phone. Just watch for the fine print on the MVNOs that you sign up with.
  Will this phone work with FreedomPop?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017