posted 7 days ago by
docjoo
Addicted Member

T-Mobile announces $300 trade-in deal for iPhone X and iPhone 8
"The carrier says it’s giving $300 to any customer who trades in an iPhone 6 or newer in good condition for an iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, or the iPhone X. For those interested in the latter, extra-costly device — which costs $999 for a 64GB model, or $1,150 for a 256GB model — a $300 credit should help ease the pain a little bit. "

Linky 

T-Mobile Link

36 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Sep. 20, 2017 @ 9:52am
rated:
According to the linked article, the $300 credit is going to be doled out as monthly statement credit, essentially lowering your EIP payments, and NOT a $300 gift card. I think this will deter people from flipping the X for a ton of money on fleabay.

rated:
According to the tweet, it's "up to" $300.

rated:
As usual, T-Mobile's offers are a lot more sizzle than substance.

rated:
T-Mobile is horrible at actually applying bill credits properly.

rated:
$300 is nothing. Last year all carriers did free iPhone 7.

rated:
iphone 8 is really 7S. No need to upgrade.

iphone 8X is too expensive. Apple is buying the screen from Samsung,  and paying about $120 a piece. The OlED scrren has been in mainstream for several years for Android phones, and is very precious for iphone. Iphone is so behind.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/06/samsung-is-sole-suppli...

rated:
Why does everyone feel a need to tell people whether or not they should upgrade and whether or not their money could be better spent on something else?

Put simply, perhaps it's not too expensive; perhaps you made too little. Food for thought.

rated:
Terp said:   Why does everyone feel a need to tell people whether or not they should upgrade and whether or not their money could be better spent on something else?

Put simply, perhaps it's not too expensive; perhaps you made too little. Food for thought.

It is always the case.  You post a deal on "Bose."  Few come our crawling and justifying that no one should buy it.  Whenever there is a deal on Macbook Air, someone comes out of their ghetto and suggests Acer crap.

Macbook air deal
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1582854
Bose
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1582666

rated:
king0fSpades said:   
Terp said:   Why does everyone feel a need to tell people whether or not they should upgrade and whether or not their money could be better spent on something else?

It is always the case.  You post a deal on "Bose. "  Few come our crawling and justifying that no one should buy it.  Whenever there is a deal on Macbook Air, someone comes out of their ghetto and suggests Acer  crap.

Macbook air deal
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1582854
Bose 
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1582666

Nice.

I am going to change my approach. Instead, I'll start telling everyone who tells me how to spend my money how they should spend their time.  That's the irony here—were they to spent the time on professional development and self-improvement, rather than telling me what and what not to buy, they could increase their earnings substantially and enjoy the finer things in life. 

I'm starting to think Samsung pays these dorks.

rated:
f2000sa said:   iphone 8 is really 7S. No need to upgrade.

iphone 8X is too expensive. Apple is buying the screen from Samsung,  and paying about $120 a piece. The OlED scrren has been in mainstream for several years for Android phones, and is very precious for iphone. Iphone is so behind.

It' true that Samsung has come out with more advanced hardware than Apple; however, it's the software integration with hardware that makes iPhone more popular.  I am going to upgrade my iPhone 6 to iPhone 8 or X because my battery doesn't hold charge well and I want to take advantage of $300 trade-in offer. Next year, my iPhone 6 will probably will have less than $200 trade-in value and battery may not even hold a charge for half day. So it's no brainer for me to trade in for $300 credit.

I was considering Note 8 for my 2nd line, but Samsung will give only $200 credit for iPhone 6.  So will do iPhone 8+ trade in to get $300 credit.

rated:
king0fSpades said:   $300 is nothing. Last year all carriers did free iPhone 7.
  It's better than what you can sell iPhone 6 on eBay or CL.  iPhone 6 16GB is selling for $190 on eBay.

rated:
docjoo said:   
  It's better than what you can sell iPhone 6 on eBay or CL.  iPhone 6 16GB is selling for $190 on eBay

the Up To $300 part is key here. 

rated:
Stubtify said:   
docjoo said:   
  It's better than what you can sell iPhone 6 on eBay or CL.  iPhone 6 16GB is selling for $190 on eBay

the Up To $300 part is key here. 

There is no 'up to' it's $300
https://twitter.com/TMobileHelp/status/907970722890342401

rated:
docjoo said:   

That is my point. I got free iPhone 7. I don't have iPhone 6. I traded it in for free iPhone 7. I am not going to trade iPhone 7 for $300

rated:
docjoo said:   
f2000sa said:   iphone 8 is really 7S. No need to upgrade.

It' true that Samsung has come out with more advanced hardware than Apple; however, it's the software integration with hardware that makes iPhone more popular.  I am going to upgrade my iPhone 6 to iPhone 8 or X because my battery doesn't hold charge well and I want to take advantage of $300 trade-in offer. Next year, my iPhone 6 will probably will have less than $200 trade-in value and battery may not even hold a charge for half day. So it's no brainer for me to trade in for $300 credit.

I was considering Note 8 for my 2nd line, but Samsung will give only $200 credit for iPhone 6.  So will do iPhone 8+ trade in to get $300 credit.

I have a 6s 16GB, if they give me $300 it's more than I would get from anyone personally. 
I have to use Apple for work, we aren't allowed to get corp email or get on the corp network with anything else. 
I constantly run out of space, and the battery is getting flakey,  because I use this phone also for a 2nd business where I post a lot of pics, etc on FB.  For that same reason I really would use a bigger screen, even though I hate the thought of a carrying a bigger phone, but that's just the trade off.  So I really need a new phone.

I would maybe consider a 7 plus if it were cheap enough, but I don't think it will be.  I feel like I might as well just get a X, I'll just be jealous if I don't. 

rated:
Quick charging the iPhone 8 and iPhone X requires at least $70 in accessory purchases

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/13/quick-charging-the-iph...

rated:

I thought this board is about how to spend money wisely?

rated:
Does anyone know whether the trade-in device has to be unlocked?

rated:
no B71 600MHz LTE band. If I had iPhone 7 or 6S on T-Mobile and still in good shape I'd just wait a year.

rated:
freejunkmail said:   

No, it's about finding 'deals' and the lowest price possible on items in which we have interest; it's not about how you should spend your money or how much value you consider a product or service to have.  That's subjective and your opinion is only valuable to me if I ask for it. 

rated:
Terp said:   
freejunkmail said:   

No, it's about finding 'deals' and the lowest price possible on items in which we have interest; it's not about how you should spend your money or how much value you consider a product or service to have.  That's subjective and your opinion is only valuable to me if I ask for it. 

Disagree. Plenty of people comment on the quality of usefulness of products, and it helps viewers in a way to understand the deal better before pulling the trigger. If someone posts a deal of something with inferior quality, we shouldn't say anything just because the deal is indeed the best price on the market? Granted, iPhone is an extremely popular item with mostly positive user experience, and most of us are fairly well-educated about its pros and cons. But it doesn't mean people should be discouraged from its discussion. Just my 0.02.

rated:
freejunkmail said:   
Terp said:   
freejunkmail said:   

Disagree. Plenty of people comment on the quality of usefulness of products, and it helps viewers in a way to understand the deal better before pulling the trigger. If someone posts a deal of something with inferior quality, we shouldn't say anything just because the deal is indeed the best price on the market? Granted, iPhone is an extremely popular item with mostly positive user experience, and most of us are fairly well-educated about its pros and cons. But it doesn't mean people should be discouraged from its discussion. Just my 0.02.

Thanks. We really value your input.

...and thanks to the guy who posted about some off-topic quick-charging crap and the fact that we would have to incur more expenses if we don't want to wait an hour to charge our phones. We really value his opinion in a deal totally unrelated to the original topic. He influenced my decision to not purchase an Iphone X, because of the need to purchase third-party tools to do something or other...amazing insight and can't thank him enough for his contributions.

rated:
Next year they will give $3 credit toward the new iPhone with 2 year contract required, plus you need to trade in a brand new 256G iPhone X to get this DEAL!

rated:
I thought about buying an iPhone 6 16GB for $200 off Craigslist or eBay to do arbitrage, but am going to pass since the Sam's deal seems better, presuming they sell for T-Mobile (they don't currently) and I can get Walmart GCs for the 5X on Freedom next quarter, and I don't trust bill credits.

rated:
Terp said:   Thanks. We really value your input.

...and thanks to the guy who posted about some off-topic quick-charging crap and the fact that we would have to incur more expenses if we don't want to wait an hour to charge our phones. We really value his opinion in a deal totally unrelated to the original topic. He influenced my decision to not purchase an Iphone X, because of the need to purchase third-party tools to do something or other...amazing insight and can't thank him enough for his contributions.

Speaking of totally unrelated to the original topic...

rated:
freejunkmail said:   Does anyone know whether the trade-in device has to be unlocked?
  It does not have to be a carrier unlocked. The phone needs to be in a good working condition and no cracked screen.

rated:
calwatch said:   I thought about buying an iPhone 6 16GB for $200 off Craigslist or eBay to do arbitrage, but am going to pass since the Sam's deal seems better, presuming they sell for T-Mobile (they don't currently) and I can get Walmart GCs for the 5X on Freedom next quarter, and I don't trust bill credits.
I don't think Sam's Club is doing T-Mobile pre-order promo.

rated:
king0fSpades said:   
docjoo said:   

That is my point. I got free iPhone 7. I don't have iPhone 6. I traded it in for free iPhone 7. I am not going to trade iPhone 7 for $300

Wife has iPhone 6+ with 128gb and decided to hand it down to our daughter. So I purchased iPhone 6 16gb (locked to AT&T) for $180 on CL. I did her pre-order yesterday and got $300 credit for trading in AT&T iPhone 6.  So we kept her old phone and saved $120 on iPhone 8+ with 24 months 0% financing.  Not a great deal as trade in iPhone 6 for iPhone 7, but it doesn't look like carriers are going to go on a phone war for iPhone 8 right now.

rated:
docjoo said:   
king0fSpades said:   
docjoo said:   

Wife has iPhone 6+ with 128gb and decided to hand it down to our daughter. So I purchased iPhone 6 16gb (locked to AT&T) for $180 on CL. I did her pre-order yesterday and got $300 credit for trading in AT&T iPhone 6.  So we kept her old phone and saved $120 on iPhone 8+ with 24 months 0% financing.  Not a great deal as trade in iPhone 6 for iPhone 7, but it doesn't look like carriers are going to go on a phone war for iPhone 8 right now.

You realize the T-Mobile iPhone 8 you're going to get can only be moved to AT&T, correct?  It has no CDMA radio, so if it works on Verizon at all, the voice calls will all be VoLTE, no traditional 1x/2G signal.  It won't work on Sprint because Sprint doesn't have VoLTE.  All this can change and things move quickly in this industry, but that's how it's set up right now.  The 6s was a special model in that all of them had the CDMA radio, regardless of which processor it had or whether it has a radio for LTE band 30.

Also, even if you were to pay off the phone in full, T-Mobile still makes you wait something like 40 days or 60 days before they'll unlock it for you.

rated:
http://bgr.com/2017/09/13/iphone-x-t-mobile-preorder-release-dat... 

No band 71 on the new iPhone X, quite the blow.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
docjoo said:   
king0fSpades said:   
docjoo said:   

You realize the T-Mobile iPhone 8 you're going to get can only be moved to AT&T, correct?  It has no CDMA radio, so if it works on Verizon at all, the voice calls will all be VoLTE, no traditional 1x/2G signal.  It won't work on Sprint because Sprint doesn't have VoLTE.  All this can change and things move quickly in this industry, but that's how it's set up right now.  The 6s was a special model in that all of them had the CDMA radio, regardless of which processor it had or whether it has a radio for LTE band 30.

Also, even if you were to pay off the phone in full, T-Mobile still makes you wait something like 40 days or 60 days before they'll unlock it for you.

You would be better off buying Sprint/Verizon or +factory+ unlocked device -- which is the CDMA version.  Those work on all US carriers.  Typically Apple was more than willing to neuter models for the carriers by locking out CDMA in hardware.  So AT&T/Tmo ect... all get the finger even after the phone is unlocked.

Samsung's new models are all CDMA capable, out of the box.  If you unlock it then it will work on all carriers.  

To whoever was complaining about the screen, to give Apple due credit their version of Samsung's screen is pretty high definition. Moreso than the 8+ -- but without the flexibility to curve it.  I like my S8+, not even that interested in the Note line.  I had one long ago and it is just a bit too big to carry easily.  The main thing is that I have relatives in poor signal strength area that are ALWAYS complaining about their iPhones.  I never have a problem when I visit them.  I *know* they have wide spectrum LTE out there on AT&T (700/850/1900/2100/2300) because I helped install it!  

rated:
I just checked with T-Mobile trade-in offer for my iPhone 6S 64GB online, and they're only offering $118.00 for my good-condition phone.
Am I doing something wrong? How do I get $300.00 or is this actually "Up to $300.00"?

rated:
kagero79 said:   I just checked with T-Mobile trade-in offer for my iPhone 6S 64GB online, and they're only offering $118.00 for my good-condition phone.
Am I doing something wrong? How do I get $300.00 or is this actually "Up to $300.00"?

They send you the rest of the $300 in 8 weeks in a credit card (visa I think)  

rated:
kagero79 said:   I just checked with T-Mobile trade-in offer for my iPhone 6S 64GB online, and they're only offering $118.00 for my good-condition phone.

I just checked and it's still working fine. Are you clicking "Preorder Now"?  It's $300 total credit (24 months of $12.50/mo statement credits).  Catch is that you have to keep the line open for 24 months if you want full $300 credit.

rated:
cgeb said:   

They send you the rest of the $300 in 8 weeks in a credit card (visa I think)  

Not true.  It will be monthly $12.50 credit for next 24 months. Total credit will be $300.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   You realize the T-Mobile iPhone 8 you're going to get can only be moved to AT&T, correct?  It has no CDMA radio, so if it works on Verizon at all, the voice calls will all be VoLTE, no traditional 1x/2G signal.  It won't work on Sprint because Sprint doesn't have VoLTE.  All this can change and things move quickly in this industry, but that's how it's set up right now.  The 6s was a special model in that all of them had the CDMA radio, regardless of which processor it had or whether it has a radio for LTE band 30.

Also, even if you were to pay off the phone in full, T-Mobile still makes you wait something like 40 days or 60 days before they'll unlock it for you.

I don't think I will ever switch to Sprint and I doubt Verizon will ever offer a lower service plan than T-Mobile.  As long as T-Mobile doesn't take away my 3 lines of 6GB each ($70 plus tax and fees), I will be sticking with them. So don't really see a reason for needing CDMA phone. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017