posted 3 days ago by
dazviking
Thrifty Member

Best Buy has deal following two deals, which can be combined.
Get $50 off select unlocked phones with Cricket Refill and Sim Purchase.
Get 20% off Cricket Refill w/purchase of Cricket Sim.

For list of phones check link here:  Link 
Some phones (e.g. Sky Devices Platinum 4.5 ) are less than $50, making them free.

I made two purchases of the Moto e4, came to $122 + Tax (Moto e4 is listed at $129 + tax)

From Best Buy :

1. Shop for a qualifying unlocked phone and add it to your cart.
  2. Return to this page.
  3. Select a SIM kit below.
  4. Select a prepaid minutes refill card below.
  5. Click the Add to Cart button at the bottom of the page.

Some Details:
Save $50 When You Buy a Select Unlocked Phone, Cricket SIM Kit, and Cricket Refill Card  Choose a select unlocked phone and link it up to the Cricket network with a Cricket SIM card kit, which provides nationwide 4G LTE. Then select your amount of calling and texting time with a Cricket prepaid minutes refill card.  Excludes Blu Phone

39 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Sep. 19, 2017 @ 9:27pm
rated:
Here's another deal:
Buy Cricket Sim ($10)
Buy Cricket $70 refill (at $56)
Get aforementioned free phone of your choice.
Pay $66

rated:
All GSM or any deals on phones usable on VZW like last time ?

rated:
There are a few CDMA. Moto e4, e4 plus, g4. Maybe some others.

rated:
Pardon my ignorance but may I ask a question. I already use Cricket and am shopping for a new phone.

1) If I were to buy the Moto E4 could I then pop my existing sim card from current phone into that and have service or would I have to then contact Cricket to have them do something?

2) If I currently use autopay billed to my credit card with Cricket, could I still add the $40 card value to my account to offset my next bill?

Thank you in advance for anyone's reply!

rated:
smileshadow said:   Pardon my ignorance but may I ask a question. I already use Cricket and am shopping for a new phone.

1) If I were to buy the Moto E4 could I then pop my existing sim card from current phone into that and have service or would I have to then contact Cricket to have them do something?

2) If I currently use autopay billed to my credit card with Cricket, could I still add the $40 card value to my account to offset my next bill?

My understanding is Cricket is GSM, so its just a sim switch.
I used to be on Tmobile (GSM also), and it was easy to move sim phone to phone.  But too little coverage in my area, so I moved to page plus...and now moving to Twigby.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/3dw82p/can_you_free...

rated:
As to the second question, someone else has to answer. I'm not sure.

rated:
I would assume yes for the second question. The condition for reduced monthly payment is that you have set up auto-pay, not money has to be taken from your bank/cc. You just happen to have credits in your account, that's all.

rated:
smileshadow said:   Pardon my ignorance but may I ask a question. I already use Cricket and am shopping for a new phone.

1.  You can just switch the SIM to your new Moto E4.  You will receive a message from Cricket that there was a change to your line.  That will be all.
2.  You can add your Cricket Refill card (go with the $70 one with the largest discount) either with Cricket QuickPay or MyCricket app to your account.  Cricket will take your account credit first before charging your credit card.
This is the best deal for current Cricket users or people who want to join Cricket.  However, SIM card ordered online (either delivered to home or picked up at store) will not work, you have to return and exchange one with a new one on the shelf.  If you haven't joint 5 line family plan and only pay $20 for a 4GB basic plan, you should consider that.

Update:  I will help you to unload Cricket Refill card at 20% off which is the same price you pay at Best Buy if you are not using Cricket and just want to keep the phone.  PM me.

rated:
Cricket Wireless - Bring Your Own Phone SIM Kit $3.99
Cricket Wireless - $70 Refill Card $56.00
Item Subtotal $59.99
Estimated Sales Tax $6.18
Enhanced 911 excise tax $0.95
Total $67.12

I don't understand why there is sales tax on the refill card. That totally killed the deal since I don't really need the SIM. All I save is $3 out of $70...

rated:
The deal is $50 off on an unlocked phone.

rated:
idlezork said:   Cricket Wireless - Bring Your Own Phone SIM Kit $3.99
Cricket Wireless - $70 Refill Card $56.00
Item Subtotal $59.99
Estimated Sales Tax $6.18
Enhanced 911 excise tax $0.95
Total $67.12

I don't understand why there is sales tax on the refill card. That totally killed the deal since I don't really need the SIM. All I save is $3 out of $70...

With 10% sales tax, sounds like every deal is killed.

rated:
Can this work in store?

rated:
We have been a family of 5 on cricket for a while now. $100 for 5 lines. Like it. Took me a 40 page complaint letter to Cricket to get things straightened out, though. 
Can't use in Europe .BUT,, just buy an ASDA (aka Walmart) Sim for $8, and you get all you need for a week.

rated:
 SIM card ordered online (either delivered to home or picked up at store) will not work, you have to return and exchange one with a new one on the shelf.
 Last time I ordered from Best Buy online a SIM/Refill combo, the SIM couldn't be activated. Best Buy's process let me pick up the SIM without properly scanning it as "sold" so Cricket won't / can't activate it.

Does anyone know if it is just a problem with Best Buy? Does it happen to Cricket SIM ordered from Walmart / Amazon

PS If you use Cricket's unlimited plan, you can request to have phone unlocked immediately.

rated:
$50 off deal is dead

rated:
Last time I ordered from Best Buy online a SIM/Refill combo, the SIM couldn't be activated. Best Buy 's process let me pick up the SIM without properly scanning it as "sold" so Cricket won't / can't activate it.
Same thing happened to me from Best Buy.  I bought the SIM online and my parents picked it up in store.  Then Cricket says it cannot be activated because it wasn't scanned.  Best Buy people have no idea what Cricket is talking about so they ended up returning the one I bought, and then buy it again.

rated:
Hm... Can't do multiple phone/sim/refill purchases on same order. Had to make 5 separate orders. Strange...unless Best Buy does something behind the scene they will have to pay 5 separate shipping charges instead of 1.

Didn't see this until after already purchased 5 sims last week on Amazon...arriving Tuesday...oh well...maybe I can return them..

Am going to Cricket with 4 current phones...with this deal I get 1 free Sky phone and 4 spare Sky phones for less price than the $70 refill card. (I tested purchase of refill alone on Best Buy and found they also added taxes to just the refill card).

Talked to Cricket support. You can add each gift card to your account (5*70=$350) and they will use from balance until balance goes to zero. With multiple (family) discounts (10,20,30,40) it will take a few months.

rated:
FatWKing said:   $50 off deal is dead
  Hmmm.. Went back to Best Buy site and DID see that the $50 off link was missing...now it only shows discount for refill card... but I had saved the link for the $50 off and when I just clicked on it the sale web page came up.

Link is https://www.bestbuy.com/site/offer/227452/pcmcat1497381543654.c?...

I clicked on it and went through the motions and got up to the point of checkout. The discount for phone and refill card was still applied.

If they discontinued the sale...not sure how long this link will be active.

rated:
dazviking said:   

My understanding is Cricket is GSM, so its just a sim switch.
I used to be on Tmobile (GSM also), and it was easy to move sim phone to phone.  But too little coverage in my area, so I moved to page plus...and now moving to Twigby.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/3dw82p/can_you_freely_switch_phones_on_cricket/

Cricket is GSM, AT&T as it comes

rated:
Target instore I have found has great Cricket deals
Cant find them at Target dot com, only in store

rated:

Yes and yes.  I'm using the Moto E4 on Cricket as I type this.  Although, I bought a Verizon variant of it at Walmart for ~$40, then bought an unlock code for the phone off of eBay for ~$2.  

rated:
From looking at the plans on their (Cricket) website, they do not offer Tracfone like prepaid service, correct? There is only monthly plans from what I saw. I already have FP and TF as backup, does not seem like this can be used as prepaid backup.

rated:
First, thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my questions. Much appreciated!

My current phone uses a micro sim and I see the Moto E uses a nano sim so I guess I will have to contact Cricket to make the change. Does any one know if there is a charge for that? I know Cricket recently started billing a $25 upgrade charge if you buy a phone on their website.

Also, does anyone know if you lose the $5 autopay credit when using these refill cards? Thanks again!

rated:
smileshadow said:   First, thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my questions. Much appreciated!

My current phone uses a micro sim and I see the Moto E uses a nano sim so I guess I will have to contact Cricket to make the change. Does any one know if there is a charge for that? I know Cricket recently started billing a $25 upgrade charge if you buy a phone on their website.

Also, does anyone know if you lose the $5 autopay credit when using these refill cards? Thanks again!

Transferring phone services from a Micro SIM to a Nano card can be done for free by yourself at this link
https://www.cricketwireless.com/join

You will not lose $5 autopay discount with refill cards.

rated:
zubrin said:   

Transferring phone services from a Micro SIM to a Nano card can be done for free by yourself at this link

Thanks Zubrin, I appreciate that. However, one thing. I did finally get through to Cricket and while the $25 upgrade charge would not apply, I was told one does not receive the $5 monthly autopay credit when using refill cards as payment. 

Thanks again for your help! 

rated:
RE:
I was told one does not receive the $5 monthly autopay credit when using refill cards as payment. 

IMO that stands to reason and not even questionable

rated:
Great deal so green to OP. In regards to the Moto E4... However, I'm thinking you can get a better deal if you just buy the phone from a reseller on eBay New in Box. Best Buy eBay account currently has the Boost Mobile GSM phone for $59.99.. Mind you it is locked, but unlock codes these days are cheap like another post above (like $2). So in this case, exact same phone unlocked for $61.99, and no need to buy a phone card or SIM. Of course if you actually use Cricket than buying a $70 phonecard for $56 saves $14, but than your still stuck buying a SIM you probably don't need for $10, saving only $4 actually off. In that case it would make the phone using the OP deal cost $75.99. I personally just wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals when its time for a phone.

rated:
smileshadow said:   
zubrin said:   

Thanks Zubrin, I appreciate that. However, one thing. I did finally get through to Cricket and while the $25 upgrade charge would not apply, I was told one does not receive the $5 monthly autopay credit when using refill cards as payment. 

Thanks again for your help! 

Add your Cricket refill card before due date to your account as account credit.  That way Cricket will still charge you $35 one day after due date, however, Cricket will deduct from your account credit first before charging your credit card.  I don't have a single line to verify it, but it works for 5 line account with $100 discount very month.

rated:
Centora87 said:   Great deal so green to OP. In regards to the Moto E4... However, I'm thinking you can get a better deal if you just buy the phone from a reseller on eBay New in Box. Best Buy eBay account currently has the Boost Mobile GSM phone for $59.99.. Mind you it is locked, but unlock codes these days are cheap like another post above (like $2). So in this case, exact same phone unlocked for $61.99, and no need to buy a phone card or SIM. Of course if you actually use Cricket than buying a $70 phonecard for $56 saves $14, but than your still stuck buying a SIM you probably don't need for $10, saving only $4 actually off. In that case it would make the phone using the OP deal cost $75.99. I personally just wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals when its time for a phone.
Thanks for the green.

Concerning the Moto e4:  I need to use on CDMA network (Twigby).  The unlocking process, as far as I know, unlocks the GSM capability.
I had actually purchased the e4 direct from Twigby for $103 + Tax, but the phone that was shipped was a Sprint/Boost version which does not include a fingerprint reader.  It came in a small white box, only the phone, charger/cable, and twigby paperwork.  I returned because the picture showed a fingerprint reader (barely visible, but there.).  My above scenario cost just under $130 w/tax.  If I can unload the Cricket card(s) for $30 (which I think I can), I come out pretty good ($100 even).  Also, I realize that Amazon has unlocked phone for $100 + tax + ads (which I was trying to avoid).

rated:
dazviking said:   
Centora87 said:   Great deal so green to OP. In regards to the Moto E4... However, I'm thinking you can get a better deal if you just buy the phone from a reseller on eBay New in Box. Best Buy eBay account currently has the Boost Mobile GSM phone for $59.99.. Mind you it is locked, but unlock codes these days are cheap like another post above (like $2). So in this case, exact same phone unlocked for $61.99, and no need to buy a phone card or SIM. Of course if you actually use Cricket than buying a $70 phonecard for $56 saves $14, but than your still stuck buying a SIM you probably don't need for $10, saving only $4 actually off. In that case it would make the phone using the OP deal cost $75.99. I personally just wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals when its time for a phone.
Thanks for the green.

Concerning the Moto e4:  I need to use on CDMA network (Twigby).  The unlocking process, as far as I know, unlocks the GSM capability.
I had actually purchased the e4 direct from Twigby for $103 + Tax, but the phone that was shipped was a Sprint /Boost version which does not include a fingerprint reader.  It came in a small white box, only the phone, charger/cable, and twigby paperwork.  I returned because the picture showed a fingerprint reader (barely visible, but there.).  My above scenario cost just under $130 w/tax.  If I can unload the Cricket card(s) for $30 (which I think I can), I come out pretty good ($100 even).  Also, I realize that Amazon has unlocked phone for $100 + tax + ads (which I was trying to avoid).

Yeah everyone needs a specific device to suit their needs. So I'm glad this deal was able to suit yours and save you a little green along the way.

rated:
so many reply

rated:
FYI,
I recently purchase a Moto E4 Verizon prepaid phone from Walmart$40 + tax.  Got it unlocked via eBay, $2.09.  Installed Cricket sim and works well.The unlock will only work with GSM providers as it will be blacklisted by Verizon.  In order to make calls you need to go to setting and find cellular provider and select Cricket or other provider that you use.  Actually did this 3 times at about $45 each.  Happy camper here.

rated:
thanks OP - i needed another phone like i need a hole in the head - but since I already have cricket service, i figured I might as well get rewarded for paying my bill :-D
hopefully they show up, I ordered saturday night with delivery Tuesday to the office so hopefully they show up!

rated:
Josim, How many providers are there in the phone's setting ? Isn't unlocking supposed to allow all GSM providers?

rated:
Best Buy is terrible with these SIMs. Do NOT buy them for delivery if you need the SIM card.

If you can buy the "old" SIM card packaging, that usually is only $2.99 or $3.99 (was recently only $0.99 on a previous deal). Neither in-store nor delivery could get those to properly activate.

Best method if you need the SIM: in-store delivery. Why? When you pick it up they will scan the card to activate. Funny thing is...it will fail! Yes, it will fail, because the card has been pre-scanned to confirm the in-store inventory when they set it aside for you. That prevents their system from properly activating the card when you pay and pick it up. The good news is that they will take care of you. Even if you ordered the $3.99 SIM, and they have to end up giving you a $9.99 SIM (packaging are slightly different), they will almost certainly do a price match and and ensure that you get the SIM and refill card for the same total price that you had for your in-store pickup order you placed online.

Your local Best Buy store probably knows about this problem already, like mine does, and have been begging corporate to just remove these from the website entirely because they just cause problems.

In regards to auto-pay with these, and getting the discounted pricing for auto-pay, this applies to your account as a credit. I put several of them on my account a few months ago, and it just draws from my account balance rather than my credit card. Eventually I won't have enough balance for the whole payment, and it will start pulling from my credit card on file again.

rated:
josim said:   FYI,
I recently purchase a Moto E4 Verizon prepaid phone from Walmart $40 + tax.  Got it unlocked via eBay, $2.09.  Installed Cricket sim and works well.The unlock will only work with GSM providers as it will be blacklisted by Verizon.  In order to make calls you need to go to setting and find cellular provider and select Cricket or other provider that you use.  Actually did this 3 times at about $45 each.  Happy camper here.

Maybe so, but keep in mind there are multiple E4 models. The lower end model, which I do believe is the Verizon 8gb model, only offers half the storage space as this one. This isn't that big of a deal, but the deal breaker for me is the lower end model cpu is only 1.2ghz, whereas this offers 1.4ghz. In the end it probably doesn't even matter, but just pointing out the 8gb and 16gb versions are truly different. Think of it like Samsung phones, however at least Samsung labels their phones accordingly, Ex. Galaxy s6 Mini, s6 Active, s6 Edge, s6 Plus, etc.

rated:
ertuzi said:   Josim, How many providers are there in the phone's setting ? Isn't unlocking supposed to allow all GSM providers?
  Since I have selected it now shows Cricket, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile.

rated:
This Verizon phone I have is 16MB version w/ 2GB RAM running Android 7.1.1.  SKU XT1767.  It is a real nice phone.
This is where I got it unlocked:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-USA-Motorola-Moto-G4-Play-Droid-... 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017