posted 13 years ago by
airflowmax

rated:
misskari7 said:

<< So, is it a safer bet to go with Full Frame instead of Half?

Anyone have the magnetic clip on sunglasses? Are the magnets on the nosepiece really prominent?

I called today and asked a few questions and the man I spoke to was very friendly and knowlegable, so I think I'll give 'em a try.
>>

I order the half frame magnetic clip on sunglasses, but have not received them as of yet. Should be sometime next week.

rated:
I ordered around 2 weeks ago, and just received my rimless memory titanium eyeglasses today. I must say that I am really impressed. The prescription is dead on and these glasses look great! For around $38 shipped, these are well worth it.

I do agree with several of you guys that there are these huge bolt looking things that jut out at the corners. The middle two kind of get in my line of vision, but a local jeweler should be able to clip those off. Overall, these are excellent glasses and ZenniOptical will be getting my business in the future! Screw Lenscrafters and the like.

rated:
jschuman said:

<< I order the half frame magnetic clip on sunglasses, but have not received them as of yet. >>

Another successful story. Product was exactly as describe and a great value for about $60 shipped. But remember, I have a very weak bifocal prescription (+1.25) and should be easy to make.

rated:
I received my glasses today. WOW, the quality is great.

Case, glasses and polishing cloth for 20 bucks.

I can't believe it

Thanks OP

rated:
Those of you with high Rx, how long did it take to get your glasses in? I need mine in less than 4 weeks. Is that wishful thinking?

rated:
Any recommendation on where to do the eye exam ?

rated:
almost forgot to post my results...

I got the glasses in about 2 weeks and took them to my doctor. He tested them and both lenses were .5 stronger than they should have been.

Specifically, left eye was supposed to be -5.00 and it was -5.50
Right eye was supposed to be -5.25 and it was -5.75.

Don't know if that's a problem in the manufacturing, or maybe someone accidentally stuck in the wrong lenses.

Anyway, I was only using them for 3 weeks before I had lasik, so they are useless now.

rated:
jimmyhaha said:

<< Any recommendation on where to do the eye exam ? >>

WalMart is the cheapest you are gonna find.

rated:
It took about 2 weeks to get mine. I have astigmatism (sp?) with low correction.
I got the basic deal with no upgrades. ($19.99 + shipping)

I've got a question. Are the lense upgrades any good ?
Are they worth the extra $$$ ?

Thanks

rated:
I might be wrong but I don't think what the optometrist does is "measuring" the power. They "estimate" the refrative index using a machine or a countering lens. So to say that the glasses are definitely .5 higher is probably not accurate.

scubasteve said:

<< almost forgot to post my results...

I got the glasses in about 2 weeks and took them to my doctor. He tested them and both lenses were .5 stronger than they should have been.

Don't know if that's a problem in the manufacturing, or maybe someone accidentally stuck in the wrong lenses.

Anyway, I was only using them for 3 weeks before I had lasik, so they are useless now.
>>

rated:
BimmerPilot said:

<< I might be wrong but I don't think what the optometrist does is "measuring" the power. They "estimate" the refrative index using a machine or a countering lens. So to say that the glasses are definitely .5 higher is probably not accurate.
>>

Actually, it is called "neutralizing" the power of the lens(es) in question utilizing a device known as a lensometer. And YES it does serve to measure the power of the lenses although accuracy can suffer from operator error. But so might the glasses have been made off power. If a qualified practicioner declares the glasses as being a half diopter off power it is not an estimate. I can't say whether it is an accurate declaration, but it wouldn't be an estimate.

rated:
Ophthalmologist here. A couple of thoughts. First, if you've never had the antiglare coating, it does help cut down on nighttime glare and make the lenses look less noticeable on your face (fewer visible reflections), but it also wears off easily, especially if you don't take pretty good care of your glasses. It's similar to the ultra-thin coatings that give camera and binocular lenses that iridescent color. If you leave a greasy fingerprint on the lenses long enough, it can actually etch into the coating. And you don't want to shove the glasses into he bottom of a purse where they're going to rub against your car keys, etc. After awhile, the worn-off coating can look really nasty. Even cleaning the lenses the wrong way can damage the coating. So don't clean the lenses with some crummy old dishtowl. A lens cloth is ideal, or perhaps a really soft grade of paper towel like Viva.

Second, especially if you spring for a progressive bifocal, the pupillary distance measurement is critical, as is the actual fit of the glasses on the face. The "reading zone" in progressive bifocals is often quite narrow, and must align exactly with your pupils or you will not have clear/comfortable reading vision. You also don't want the bifocal area to sit too high in the lens (would interfere with your distance vision) or too low (results in uncomfortable/unnatural reading angle). Generally that alignment really needs to be confirmed by an optician sitting in front of you, making some adjustments to the frame so that the bifocal is positioned exactly right. Obviously you're not going to get that via the internet. However, many optical shops will do simple adjustments like that for a pittance or even for free. Provided you're not embarrassed to show them your cheapass glasses.

I dislike the magnetic clip-ons, and like the cheap nose-bridge clip-ons even less. I've also never been a fan of transitional/Photogray lenses since they don't darken very much when you're driving a car---the shade provided by the roof of the car prevents the lens from reacting. A better option frankly is to just get a second pair of tinted prescription sunglasses. Personally, for sunglasses I've always preferred a flexible, claw-foot clip-on that grips the sides of the lenses. A growing trend among better frame manufacturers to include one of these custom-fit clip-ons with a new pair of frames. Unfortunately not an option with these cheap intenet outfits. I don't know if you have them in your area, but we have a seasonal franchise in our local mall called "The Clip-On Guys" who will manufacture a clip-on to match your frames. I haven't priced them, but it looks like a neat option to me.

rated:
I just want to say that my husband has had an expensiveass pair of expensive prescription eyeglasses that were miserable for him despite countless returns through the local eye doctor. He threw them in the drawer and never wore them.

He is very happy with the cheapass ones he got from Zenni. Although he opted for lined bifocals since the expensive problem ones he tossed aside were no line bifocals. He just couldn't get used to them.

rated:
tabalard said:

<< I just want to say that my husband has had an expensiveass pair of expensive prescription eyeglasses that were miserable for him despite countless returns through the local eye doctor. He threw them in the drawer and never wore them.

He is very happy with the cheapass ones he got from Zenni. Although he opted for lined bifocals since the expensive problem ones he tossed aside were no line bifocals. He just couldn't get used to them.
>>

sounds like he just couldn't adapt to no-line/progressive bifocals. has nothing to do with how much he paid. he could've gotten the expensive progressives remade to lined bifocals if he couldn't adapt...usually within 30 days. that way he doesn't have to throw them in the drawer and never use them again.

rated:
Yeah, but I'll bet your doctor also sells glasses (At a much higher price). Do you think he will give you an honest opininion?

scubasteve said:

<< almost forgot to post my results...

>>

rated:
Sounds like you are bitter of the competition to me! Those Cheapass glasses as YOU CLAIM look just as good to me as an other quality glasses I can get locally. Seriously when you make comments like this and you have never even bought glasses from this place, it makes me take every comment you make with a "Grain of Salt". So much for the EXPERT opinion!

ktg said:

<< Ophthalmologist here. A couple of thoughts. Provided you're not embarrassed to show them your cheapass glasses. >>

rated:
dirtrat said:

<< Sounds like you are bitter of the competition to me! Those Cheapass glasses as YOU CLAIM look just as good to me as an other quality glasses I can get locally. Seriously when you make comments like this and you have never even bought glasses from this place, it makes me take every comment you make with a "Grain of Salt". So much for the EXPERT opinion!

ktg said:

<< Ophthalmologist here. A couple of thoughts. Provided you're not embarrassed to show them your cheapass glasses. >>

>>

dirtrat, I have to laugh at your remark. You completely missed my point.

My comment about "cheapass glasses" was meant simply to be humorous. Trust me, a good optician can spot a cheaply-made frame. (Note the earlier posts in this thread about the ugly protruding screws on the cheap rimless frames). Since I'm well-known among the local opticians, if I walked into their shop wearing a pair of these $19 specials, I KNOW I'd take some friendly heat from them. So I would suffer a little embarrassment. I doubt it would really be a problem for anyone else.

I think it's obvious from my post that I am NOT telling people to avoid these frames, but just offering some professional advice on the various options that are offered, and pitfalls to avoid. I really said NOTHING about the quality of these products, just tried to give something back to the forum in my area of expertise. I hope you're alone in your interpretation of my remarks, but let me apologize if anyone else thought I was condemning the cheap eyeglass outfits.

Your assumption that I view these firms as "competitors" is way off-base. Unlike most optometrists and many ophthalmologists, I do NOT sell glasses---therefore this outfit does not represent competition to me in any form. After reading this thread, I actually ordered a pair of these cheapos for myself, simply as emergency backup glasses. So I have no qualms about other people doing likewise as long as they are aware of exactly what they're getting.

AHem. Now that we have opened the "quality" can of worms, I will rant a little. There ARE real difference among frames in terms of build quality and durability. Cheap frames are just that, cheap, and they eventually reveal their cheapness in a variety of ways: the metal finish quickly flakes off, the screws pop out prematurely, the frames bend more easily because of design compromises, lenses fall out unexpectedly due to poor assembly, etc. While all these things can happen to expensive, name-brand frames as well, they're usually more likely to happen (or will happen sooner) with cheap frames than with higher-end stuff. You can choose not to believe it, but it happens to be true. I do not expect the $19 glasses to last for 10 years, and neither should you. But if they're made correctly, they can still be a great value.

I do acknowledge that name-brand frames are often grotesquely expensive, and that a lot of that is just shameless, what-the-market-will-bear profit. But the added cost of namebrand frames often includes pretty good warranty coverage, and more importantly, face-to-face service when you buy from a local optical provider. That can make a HUGE difference when it comes to resolving problems with fit, bifocal issues, and "service after the sale". There are a lot of situations where that is invaluable---people with very strong prescriptions; getting a first bifocal; switching from bifocals to trifocals; people with facial asymmetries that make positioning the frames difficult, etc. And I encounter these situations all the time.

So I say "bully" to the cheap eyeglass outfits for filling a value-conscious niche in the marketplace. Just recognize the limitations of buying cheap glasses, and go into it with your eyes open (groan).

rated:
I appreciate reading the opinions of experts. No offense taken at anything that's been said and thanks for taking the time to post.

rated:
ktg,

I think people are taking offense to your use of the words "cheapass glasses".

Also, who's to say the $19.99 glasses won't last as long as a $150 pair. You can't !
Unless you own a pair and have direct experience, I don't think some of your remarks fit here.

I do appreciate most of your information though.

rated:
ktg said:

<< Personally, for sunglasses I've always preferred a flexible, claw-foot clip-on that grips the sides of the lenses. A growing trend among better frame manufacturers to include one of these custom-fit clip-ons with a new pair of frames. Unfortunately not an option with these cheap intenet outfits. I don't know if you have them in your area, but we have a seasonal franchise in our local mall called "The Clip-On Guys" who will manufacture a clip-on to match your frames. I haven't priced them, but it looks like a neat option to me. >>

The "The Clip-On Guys" charge $45 for the clip-ons. Not a bad price for $200+ glasses, but for $20 glasses seems a little out of focus

rated:
Hey ktg,
Thanks for the input. Not so much for myself, but more so for those that seem to be "out of focus" with what these cheaper than normal eyeglasses represent. You are 100% corect when you give reference to quality. However, as with anything else, higher costs do not neccessarily reflect high quality. In the end, an educated consumer wins most of the time. That is why posts like yours and others give much to making this decision. My ophthalmologist is a "real" eye surgeon... one of the best in Chicagoland. Not some wantabe as some lasik "surgeons" may be. The reason I go to her is simple... I have only one pair of eyes. She offers glasses and contacts, but she also recognizes that some people do not have eye insurance, and she provides only eye exams also. I will order a pair of these, simply because they will make a great back-up pair. Provided that they don't screw up the prescription, and then require my sending them back at my cost.

As with anything cheap, there is an opportunity cost. At ~$20, that opportunity cost is low enough for most, including myself, to make a "sight unseen" purchase from the other side of the world.

These cheap eyeglasses are especially a bargain for anyone living in Europe. My cousin paid ~$300 USD for prescription glasses... and that was on the cheaper side. I will definitely pass this on.

rated:
blueribb said:

<< ktg,

I think people are taking offense to your use of the words "cheapass glasses".

Also, who's to say the $19.99 glasses won't last as long as a $150 pair. You can't !
Unless you own a pair and have direct experience, I don't think some of your remarks fit here.

I do appreciate most of your information though.
>>

Ok, I went too far with the "cheapass" part. I blame it on www.cheapassgamer.com, another forum I lurk at. The internet is definitely a bad influence.

As to the durability of $19 glasses---trust me, I'll win that bet. My confidence is not based on arrogance, but 15+ years of experience as an eyecare provider. Even at Fatwallet, there are some products where you get what you pay for. I hope these cheap glasses make a liar out of me, but we'll see. Remember, you're not buying a steeply-discounted namebrand product here. You're buying a mass-produced knockoff. Forgive the comparison, but "Rollex" watches from the streets of NYC come to mind. Looks nice, really works...for a little while. Until you drop it. Once.

Perhaps a fairer example of what you're headed for can be found in the cheap reading glasses that you see in drugstores. They run about $10-$20/pair. Ask any 60+ year old who's owned a few pairs of these---after awhile, their hinges stiffen up, the screws pop out, or they simply break in your hands as you open them. At this price point, they're not designed for durability and quality. They're designed to be merely adequate and cheap. So call me a skeptic. I'm amazed at what they're able to offer for this price, but when it comes to a total quality/durability assessment, my hopes are staying down to earth on this one.

And again I apologize for my casual use of the word "cheapass". It was meant in a lovingly cheap way.

rated:
just saw this thread
how long is shipping?
and can anyone rate their magnetic clip sunglasses?

thanks, good job op

rated:
My order (the cheapest glasses) was received more than 3 weeks after I ordered. Considering that I had not tried to fit before purchase, I am happy with the glasses. FYI, they don't answer email asking order status, but they list a customer service phone number in their order confirmation's email.

I'll be buying another pair when the have size I need for their titanium models.

rated:
I got mine in 10 days
I'm pretty much happy with the quality of the frame and lenses.
By the way, I ordered the Memory Titanium one.

rated:
Wow, what service! I just ordered my pair of "cheapass" glasses I left a question in the comment field regarding my need for the extra strength lenses. Literally within minutes my phone rings and guess who it is? Someone from Zenni asking about my question. I'm impressed!
As far as length of order, I'm practically blind, and was told because of my prescription strength that it would take upwards of 3 weeks to arrive. For $47 shipped for memory titanium frames AND lenses I can live with the wait. Thanks OP!

rated:
These guys are great, I called them and in a month or two they will have more frames in stock and some sunglass frames....cant wait for ,the price its really a hot deal...just figure out the size you want,you can use framesdirect.com to check out what some styles would look like on you,send them a front photo shot and they will email you back how to check out the frames and there you go......
Flexiblekiwi

rated:
Well, I ordered mine on 3/15 and they arrived yesterday...almost 4 weeks to the day.

At first glance they looked a little "coke-bottley" as I have a fairly strong prescription (-6.25). Then I compared the lenses to my Pearl Vison glasses and they are identical in thickness. The Zenni lenses don't appear to be as coated around the edge of the glass as the others, but they were also about $100 cheaper.

I'm certainly satified with them as a second pair to have on hand. Vision-wise they seem to have gotten the prescription right . The line for the bifocals looks to be a little "off" when looking at them off my head, but as I said the vision is fine.

rated:

rated:
For those that have bought these glasses - are these lenses "thin" variety?

rated:
sgb said:

<< For those that have bought these glasses - are these lenses "thin" variety? >>

yes

rated:
Wow. Broke my regular pair today and no spare. So I'm pulling the trigger on Zenni's $19 glasses deal. If they work out, great. If not, I have a cheap spare pair.

I was hoping to hear that this outfit ships early sometimes but it sounds like it's not the case. Hope the glue on my old glasses can hold out till the new ones arrive.

rated:
Just ordered one. I really need one as my current one got scrached. And the $2.95 sunglass attachment is nice!

rated:
My prescription just falls into strong prescription category. Has anyone with strong prescriptions ordered from them? How thick are the lenses?
I usually order the "ultra-thin" polycarbonate lense from my dr. with my VSP insurance, but my total cost is close to $200. I would appreciate it if anyone could share their experience regarding strong prescription lenses they ordered from Zenni.

rated:
anyone ordered their sunglass tint? How dark is the tint? it is Jet black where you can't see the eyes? or is it more of a grey where your eyes can be seen?

rated:
I got my two pairs the other day in less than two weeks. $72 shipped for both. Full rimless memory titanium. One with anti-glare, the other with tint.

I don't have much to compare it to, but the anti-glare doesn't seem to be the best. I think it helps, but could be better. The tint isn't jet-black, more of a lighter black or darker gray. So, yes, you can see the eyes. It's pretty dark, but not as dark as typical true sunglass black tint.

Only thing they maybe screwed up on one of my pairs is they might have used the wrong lenses. I ordered different lens styles for each pair, and the one pair is supposed to be 47mm width lenses, but these are 50mm. Looking at the lens chart, there are two that look very similar, one is 47mm the other is 50mm, so I emailed them yesterday about it. Still waiting on that. It's not a big deal having them a little bigger since I still like them a lot, and locally the big-buck places told me I couldn't even get full rimless with a prescription over -4.00, but I did from Zenni. The full rimless didn't come with big bolts sticking out, either, like I've seen at many local places.

Overall, I am very impressed. If someone told me they paid $250+ locally for each of these, I wouldn't question it. Thanks so much to the previous posters, especially the original poster. Zenni is going to save a lot of people a lot of money.

rated:
Many thanks to all for the wealth of good information.

Toots

rated:
I just decided and make order of single vision from ZenniOptical; it is less than $50.00 with titnium and red coast. Actually, I need a bifocus-progressive lens but want to make sure they could make a good quality glasses before spend more money. If it comes to be a good quality I would order again. However, ZenniOptical has number of frames less than optical4less and also less detial. Exam optical4less has all dimesions of frame; even width and height of frames that hold lens which helpful to pick a frame for single vision or bifocus.

Anyways, I live in south Miami; want to share these information with you guys:
Eye-exam ( without eye insure)
Costco, walmart, JCPenny and Sears have same price; $50.00
I went helth-center of my school,they give the doctor but it cost $65.00 (discount price for student)

However, if you have CIGNA insure, JCPenney will give you $5.00 discount, so it would be $45.00.
My prescription does not have the Pupillary Distance, but I ask my friend to measure it for me.

rated:
I would suggest you stay away from their magnetic Sunlens frames.

Just received my glasses from them today, I ordered back on April 13th. The magnets on the frame and the sunlen are rusted when arrived. They are very visible, especially against the black color frame, so that going to be a problem for me. But other than that, the construction of the frame seem decent, and I have no problem with the lens so far.

I am going to contact them and see if they will exchange the frame for me. I'll let you know.

rated:
RyoCho said:

<< I would suggest you stay away from their magnetic Sunlens frames.

The magnets on the frame and the sunlen are rusted when arrived.
>>

That is main issue make me do not spend more money before...

Thank-you for your feedback

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017