posted 13 years ago by
airflowmax

rated:
thanks.
didn't want to spend more than $100 for glasses at local stores.

rated:
<< TextThis place looks OK if you have an average-sized and average-proportioned head and face, but like www.39dollarglasses.com, this place only seems to stock one size per style Unfortunately, I have to spend a lot more to find glasses that fit me because I've got a huge melon >>

Join the club, maybe we could start the big melon club of america?

rated:
GOt mine today. Ti rimless for about $35. They suggested that you get poly carb lenses with the rimless, but being as cheap as i am i just order them with glass. It appears that they sent me ones with poly carb anyway ( ymmv ). Good glasses, appear well constructed and lenses are well finished and polished around the edges. They are light and fit well. except for the part that goes behind my ears, they are a little short, but not too bad. My head must be to big. I am thinking about getting some sunglasses. I was going to get the ones with the magnetic clip-ons, but may not b/c of a previous post about the metal scratching the lenses. Thanks for a great post.

rated:
I have a Nike Flexon 4009 frame brand new for sale if anyone is interested pm me. it's dimension is 52mm (Size of Lense) 20mm (Bridge)
145mm (Temple Length).

rated:
Hm...most of the positive reviews are coming from new members...HMMMMM.

rated:
Not all, I got mine and am more than happy. Mine did not have polished edges, but flex titanium and rimless with coating for about 30 bucks shipped is a tremendous deal for me.

Big Old Daddy

rated:
I got mine, very disappointed. Mine is half rimless with sun shades, and it had the same scratch as the previous poster mentioned. There is a noticable white line along the rimless edge. I emailed them about scratches 3 days ago, haven't heard anything back from them yet. My advice, stay away from rimless, and sunshade...It is ok to have a backup glasses, not good for wearing this kind of glasses whole day.

rated:
BTW -America's Best Optical ( www.twopair.com ) did just raise their prices on basic exam 2 pairs of prescription single vison lenses in basic frames by $ 10 to $69.95 .

rated:
The day after I went to get new glasses from the local doc, I found this thread. With my vision insurance, for the exam and glasses with clips I paid $214. Dang I feel ripped off. I am thinking of getting a second pair from the cheap place.

rated:
Got my Flex TI rimless polished edge polycarbonate w/coating and clip-ons yesterday. Faults- gunmetal finish has a small 1mm chip near the earpiece(not noticible). Had finger prints near mounting screws, cant they take two minutes and clean the lens? The coating on the lens is ok but not as even as it should be. But overall I like the glasses, and more importantly they got the prescription right. Would I purchase from ZenniOptical again -Yes. I am going to try www.39dollarglasses.com , Ill let you know how that turns out. The additional clip-on's suk dont waste your $2, they are cheap and ugly. I paid $40

rated:
I've used both now, ordered sunglasses and rimless from 39dollarglasses and rimless ti from zenni. I ended up paying 80 some bucks for the rimless from 39dollar and am happier with the 30 dollar pair from zenni. I like the selection of 39 but I'd order from zenni again.

Big Old Daddy

rated:
I am also pleased with the pair we ordered from Zenni. Got the black Memory Titanium Full Rim for $38 shipped including AR coating. Ordered 10/25 and they came the end of last week (I think Friday).

rated:
I received the glasses in about 2 weeks.

An hour or so after I placed the order I was called by a very friendly man from there who was calling to verify the prescription since one sounded wrong to him. I read to him direct from my doctor's prescription and he said fine.

When the glasses came one lens was fine and the other was nothing but distortion. Obviously a wrong prescription.

I e-mailed them and asked what could be done a week ago. NO REPLY TO MY REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE. I sent them another e-mail today saying that I assume that they're ignoring me and that if I don't hear from them within 5 working days I'll contest the charge on my credit card.

I have the feeling they'll tell me that it's my error even though I read the prescription direct from the doctor's form when they called me.

I guess I'll telephone them during the week.

I guess when something is too good to be true it really is too good to be true.

At this point I wonder if I will ever recover anything from my $35 "investment."

rated:
Well, it was your error. You even confirmed your error with them on the phone. So it's your responsibility.

Sometimes you just have a bad day....

rated:
junkee81 said:

<< Well, it was your error. You even confirmed your error with them on the phone. So it's your responsibility.

>>

That is what I would have thought HOWEVER, how did COSTCO produce fine (bifocals) from the identical prescription??? That leads me to believe that they didn't believe what I had copied from the doctor's prescription and read to them when they called to confirm it. I'd like to know what went wrong and where. I'd be willing to pay for the replacement of that lens IF IT REALLY WAS MY ERROR. However if they won't even reply it's hard to know for sure.

I guess I have an unusual prescription since they called to verify it and the person said it's not a usual combination of left and right eye. I'm wondering if they still figured it was an error and "corrected" it based on what they thought it should have been even after I read it to the person on the phone.

One would think that a business would at least respond to a query to their "service" e-mail address in over a week.

rated:
IW, I would be upset as well... can't you take your glasses to a store and have them check the power on a machine? If they document it, you would at least have grounds to stand on.

Seriously though, do you expect even decent customer service with their prices?

rated:
You shoudl take the glassee in to verify prescription, a number of places will do that for free, maybe someone can offer advice. But with this info it will be easier to decide if it was your mistake or theirs. In any case I doubt they would go out of their way to make you whole, that is not how bargain places operate...

IW said:

<< junkee81 said:

<< Well, it was your error. You even confirmed your error with them on the phone. So it's your responsibility.

>>

That is what I would have thought HOWEVER, how did COSTCO produce fine (bifocals) from the identical prescription??? That leads me to believe that they didn't believe what I had copied from the doctor's prescription and read to them when they called to confirm it. I'd like to know what went wrong and where. I'd be willing to pay for the replacement of that lens IF IT REALLY WAS MY ERROR. However if they won't even reply it's hard to know for sure.

I guess I have an unusual prescription since they called to verify it and the person said it's not a usual combination of left and right eye. I'm wondering if they still figured it was an error and "corrected" it based on what they thought it should have been even after I read it to the person on the phone.

One would think that a business would at least respond to a query to their "service" e-mail address in over a week.
>>

rated:
hey,

just wondering from the people who have ordered from them.. are the lenses coke bottles?? just wanted to know since they don't cost much and was wonderin' about the quality and thickness. also, how bout the anti-reflective for $4.95?? anyone try that?thanks alot for your responses.

rated:
I got my two pairs of rimless after 2 weeks. One spare and one tinted. They are very light and comfortable, but they seem to be very fragile. They did use big old screws to connect the lenses etc...together and then have the plastic thingies to cover the protruding parts of the screws. It is a bit unsightly to me and the screws kinda get in my vision field. I am planning to have all the protruding parts clipped off if I can. On my tinted pair, they also used the same big old shiny metallic screws which stand out on the corners of the lenses. I think that I will have to put dark nail polish or indelible ink on them to make the screws less noticeable. Otherwise everything is fine for adults. Don't buy this el cheapo glasses for kids or if you have a kiddie temperament. I lost about 3 pairs a year, so it's ok to go cheap.

rated:
i got my son's pair of rimless titanium also after about 2 weeks.
i added the $5 anti reflective and the glasses came to $38.85 delivered.

i think we are pretty happy with them.
he's +4.0 and the lenses seem a little thick to me.
did anyone else feel way?
i would pay a little more to get a thinner high index lens but
i dont think it was an option.
did anyone get the cr-39 transitionals? are they thinner?

rated:
I too ordered the rimless...still waiting on my order. Did they provide you with tracking numbers once they shipped? I haven't heard from them since I got my receipt on the day I ordered a little over a week ago (Sunday before Thanksgiving).

rated:
Free4ever said:

<< Got a pair of half-frame glasses with magnetic sunshades. Fit me perfectly. Howver, the magnetic shades had left scrathes on the lenses where the tiny screws holding the magnetic shades come into contact with the surface of the lenses. Also, the rimless part of the lenses on the half frame have a peculiar white outline which really stands out.. >>

They didn't polish the edges of the plastic lenses, which is WRONG for rimless glasses.
If you liked them, send 'em back and tell them to polish them up for you.

rated:
Sorry to spoil the fun but I've been reading this thread and can't resist
making an honest opinion about this business tactic. First of all, these people obviously
do not care about your vision and the accuracy of your prescription. How could they recommend
people taking the pupil distance measurement looking into a mirror?? Do you people know that
a wrong measurement of a few millimeters can induce prisms/distortions in your glasses???
If you have a high prescription this will cause headaches and discomfort. Second, they don't have any measurements for segment height for your bifocal and progressive. There's no way
you can place an order for a bifocal or progressive without those measurements. I'm on this board daily looking for good deals. I would love to tell people this is a great deal but It's not true. It's not about getting a frame and lens for $20, it's about how these people do business. It's just plain wrong. There are reasons why(optician,optometrist,ophthalmologist,etc..) attend years of school to understand the optics of a lens and the proper way of filling a prescription. I have no objection when it comes to contact lens because it's the same lens prescribed by the doctor.
Anyways, I just want to help people understand true process of making a correct prescription. Do as you wish but be careful.

rated:
I just received my rimless glasses yesterday. The prescription appears to be correct after wearing them for a day. I'm not completely impressed with the anti-reflective coating, which sort of works. The edges of the lenses are not polished, but to be honest for $30 who cares. They are (or seem to be) much higher in quality than I expected for the price. A nurse where I work purchased almost the exact same glasses for $600 (granted, she probably has bifocals and she got titanium - why I don't know, these are significantly lighter weight than my last pair of full-frame glasses).

Even if these last me a year, that's longer than my last pair that I paid full price for lasted before the frame broke - and at a quarter of the price. I would imagine there are a lot more people like myself who are happy or at least somewhat satisfied with their glasses who have not posted back here. This place may not be a top-of-the-line manufacturer, but they just saved me $200+ on replacing broken glasses. Weigh the cost-and-benefit. *shrug*

ps: I'm from Cincinnati, OH - it took a little over 4 weeks to get my order.

rated:
i was told the index of refraction is 1.57 polycarbonate lenses.

can anyone verify that on their glasses?

rated:
Got mine yesterday, ordered Nov 12th-- FW effect?? For 35 bucks this is a deal. Yeah there were fingerprints and I might try to cut off the protruding screws-- LAbowiz-- have you had any luck? The sunglasses are definetly worth it-- I paid $10 for el cheapo ones on eBay and these are way better-- although you've got the whole dabney coleman in the movie one red shoe flip-up i'm a CIA assasin thing going on but hey for $3 they are great. If you order measure the lenses too- I could've gotten smaller lenses with my pinhead.

rated:
I'm kind of having the same concern about the measurement. Adding up all the Pupil distance and eye sizes,
the errors in measurement can be as much as 4mm. Is this acceptable? Please share your experience.

kqnjml said:

<< Sorry to spoil the fun but I've been reading this thread and can't resist
making an honest opinion about this business tactic. First of all, these people obviously
do not care about your vision and the accuracy of your prescription. How could they recommend
people taking the pupil distance measurement looking into a mirror?? Do you people know that
a wrong measurement of a few millimeters can induce prisms/distortions in your glasses???
If you have a high prescription this will cause headaches and discomfort. Second, they don't have any measurements for segment height for your bifocal and

rated:
I went in to my local Lenscrafters and had them measure my pupillary distance, no fuss no muss. YMMV of course.

Big Old Daddy

rated:
Got mine pair last week, ordered 3 weeks ago...FW effect at work. The quality of the lens and frame seems to be excellent. Their shop is based in HK so delivery time will vary depends on both end (customs) since they are small. Lot's of local shops in US route their lens order to HK/Asia based lens factory, what you are wearing now is probably from there anyways. Most of the non-designer brand frames are manufactured in Asia like rest of the stuff we use. Low cost startup like zenni can survive b/c they have no upkeep cost of chain stores & marketing department. global arbitrage at work, ready or not here is comes.

the $3 clipon is crap, don't get it. that's probably a fat 600% margin for them.

"There are reasons why(optician,optometrist,ophthalmologist,etc..) attend years of school to understand the optics of a lens and the proper way of filling a prescription."

LOL, no offense. a machine spits out polished lens and neatly package them like potato chips, they just feed it numbers. your optometrist is busy/ratherbe doing LASIKs than filling prescriptions.

rated:
nicelittle said:

<< I'm kind of having the same concern about the measurement. Adding up all the Pupil distance and eye sizes,
the errors in measurement can be as much as 4mm. Is this acceptable? Please share your experience.

kqnjml said:

If you have a high prescription this will cause headaches and discomfort. Second, they don't have any measurements for segment height for your bifocal and
>>

>>

That depends on the prescription. If your prescription is high 4mm can cause problems. If your prescription low, most likely you won't notice anything.

rated:
epluribusunum said:

<< Got mine pair last week, ordered 3 weeks ago...FW effect at work. The quality of the lens and frame seems to be excellent. Their shop is based in HK so delivery time will vary depends on both end (customs) since they are small. Lot's of local shops in US route their lens order to HK/Asia based lens factory, what you are wearing now is probably from there anyways. Most of the non-designer brand frames are manufactured in Asia like rest of the stuff we use. Low cost startup like zenni can survive b/c they have no upkeep cost of chain stores & marketing department. global arbitrage at work, ready or not here is comes.

the $3 clipon is crap, don't get it. that's probably a fat 600% margin for them.

"There are reasons why(optician,optometrist,ophthalmologist,etc..) attend years of school to understand the optics of a lens and the proper way of filling a prescription."

LOL, no offense. a machine spits out polished lens and neatly package them like potato chips, they just feed it numbers. your optometrist is busy/ratherbe doing LASIKs than filling prescriptions.
>>

There is a HUGE difference in quality of lenses depending on the manufacturer. While most CR-39 (the 'typical' lens material) lenses are produced in Southeast Asia they are relatively new in manufacturing Polycarbonate lenses. With that said.. the manufacturing process is really not an issue, it's the design of the lenses, the type of finish/coating applied and amount of quality control that mostly determines a good lens from a bad one. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying zenni's lenses are low quality. They may well be a high quality lens. I was just commenting on your statements about lenses in general.

rated:
docido said:

<< nicelittle said:

<< I'm kind of having the same concern about the measurement. Adding up all the Pupil distance and eye sizes,

kqnjml said:

>>

>>

That depends on the prescription. If your prescription is high 4mm can cause problems. If your prescription low, most likely you won't notice anything.
>>

I have a better idea than look into a mirror. Most FWers should have at least one digital camera by now. So take a picture of your own face with a ruler just above or below your eyes. Then measure the pixels between the pupils in photoshop and do some simple math. you will get enough accurate distance.

rated:
"While most CR-39 (the 'typical' lens material) lenses are produced in Southeast Asia they are relatively new in manufacturing Polycarbonate lenses."

your would be right if it's Y2K now, almost everyone use high index polycarbonate instead of CR-39 plastic currently. The term Polycarbonate is misleading, both lens/material are plastic (polycarbonate). they just have different refractive index value.

your optometrist should have a PD number for you. if not go to local eyeware store, maybe they can help you out. having the wrong PD number by few mm can induce Prism effect (might strain your eyes).

last resort, is to have some one mark spots where your pupils are on your old glasses, then measure between spots.

NONpermanent markers for the careless.

rated:
docido said:

<< nicelittle said:

>>

Thank you! Both my eyes are -3.25. Is it low? I forgot how those professional people get the measurement. they also use rulers?

rated:
OK....got mine today....I got the Memory Titanium Rimless...I think I may have just picked the wrong shape lenses for my eyes, as I can see the center nose piece and my eyes seemed drawn to it(ala Steve Martin and The Jerk) I can see the deal about the screws protruding from the inside, but other than that I will definately order again...just different shaped lenses. Mine came polished and no fingerprints. They got my prescription just fine. The AR coating seems to work great too....just my 25 cents......I ordered the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so roughly 2 weeks for my order, give or take a day or 3.

rated:
Any one have luck finding a frame on there that fits longer earpieces? (e.g. giant head!)

rated:
I received my bifocals on Saturday. I order a half rimmed pair. The quality of the glasses seemed great and the "fit and finish" was fine. However, I wasn't happy with the height of the bifocal, so I emailed them Monday morning asking how I could access the 50% "guarantee." I received an email back with a phone number; the person answering the phone seemed knowledgeable and offered to remake them for 30% with a lower bifocal and me just keeping the original pair.

The company treated me very fairly. I ordered the original glasses knowing that the only guarantee involved returning the old pair and getting a new pair for 50% off. Them doing it for 30% and me keeping the old pair is completely fair.

rated:
I ordered on Nov 7th and the glasses are still not here. I've called a couple of times. they claim that my pair had already been complete and were sent to their California warehouse, but that my glasses didn't pass their strict standards and hence, were re-ordered. The CSR told me to give it another week... Hope mine is a simply an odd case.

rated:
<< the $3 clipon is crap, don't get it. that's probably a fat 600% margin for them. >>

How bad is it? Is it perfect fit with your eyeglasses? Or it's the one you can get from local Walgreen / CVS store -- old man's flip clip-on.

rated:
epluribusunum said:

<< "While most CR-39 (the 'typical' lens material) lenses are produced in Southeast Asia they are relatively new in manufacturing Polycarbonate lenses."

your would be right if it's Y2K now, almost everyone use high index polycarbonate instead of CR-39 plastic currently. The term Polycarbonate is misleading, both lens/material are plastic (polycarbonate). they just have different refractive index value.

your optometrist should have a PD number for you. if not go to local eyeware store, maybe they can help you out. having the wrong PD number by few mm can induce Prism effect (might strain your eyes).

last resort, is to have some one mark spots where your pupils are on your old glasses, then measure between spots.

NONpermanent markers for the careless.
>>

While polycarbonate market share is high in the U.S. (as high as 60-70% especially with large chains pushing it's sales, i.e. Lenscrafter's 'Featherweights' lenses) it is still relatively low in Asia. Polycarbonate has been around for over 20 years in the U.S. My colleague introduced polycarbonate for mass use to some Asian countries in the mid 90's on the distributor and retail end. It did not take hold b/c the edgers needed to finish polycarbonate were not in large use then. (When I say polycarbonate I am speaking of ophthalmic prescription quality polycarbonate. Polycarbonate has been around Asia much longer, i.e. plano sunglasses, CD-Roms, etc..)

And while Polycarbonate is a plastic, it is a special type of plastic with some very specific qualities different from other high index plastics, not just the index of refraction.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017