Avatar
posted 48 years ago by
dongrussell
Senior Member

This is much cheaper than any electric bike I've seen. They also have a couple of 20" electric bikes by Mongoose. I saw it in my local Wal-Mart, even though the link shows it only being available on-line.

Linky

SPECIFICATIONS:

Real transportation for pennies per charge! This Comfort Series electric bicycle has a unisex low-standover-height design with suspension fork and removable battery box. It reaches a top speed of 15 MPH with a range of 18 to 25 miles with normal pedaling. For young adult to adult up to 240 lbs.

450W of power from a DC earth magnet Motor
Plug and Play battery box design with easy-access charger port
UL-listed Currie Smart Charger with 1-color LED status display
Top speed: 15 mph (rider weight and terrain contingent)
Range: up to 25 miles with normal pedaling
Alloy linear pull brakes
26-inch alloy rims
High-rise handlebars with adjustable rise stem and Krayton grips

Shimano 7-speed gearing with twist throttle
Comfort design saddle with alloy Post
Aluminum comfort frame, unisex
Alloy cotterless crankset and custom chainring with dual sided pedals
Total weight: 90 lbs



Speeds: Up to 15 mph
Frame: Aluminum frame
Brake type: Alloy linear pull brake
Wattage: 450-watt motor
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 62.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 52.0 x 16.0 x 42.0
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported
Wal-Mart No.: 000764906

Views
92 Comments
Add Comment
pardon my retardation, but what the heck is an electric bicycle?

like do you still pedal? if not, whats the point of the pedals?
if you do, then whats the electric for?

i don't get it

ionizer said: pardon my retardation, but what the heck is an electric bicycle?

like do you still pedal? if not, whats the point of the pedals?
if you do, then whats the electric for?

i don't get it

Power assist up hills.

Another scenario where it is useful is commuting short distances. Assuming you don't want to get to work/school all sweaty, you can just use the motor.

Also, since these have pedals, you don't need to license and insure them to use on public streets, and you don't need a motorcycle driver's license (you may want to check with local authorities to verify this).

One drawback is the weight when you are using the pedals only - will be harder to pedal than a non-motorized bike.

an electric bike is nice, this one seems much nicer than my setup, although mine has a few advantages over this one. There aren't alot of big hills in the city I live in, but I no longer avoid them thanks to an electric pedal assist bike. For short trips I can basically ride around without even pedaling on flat roads at fairly decent speed. The only downside to an electric bike is you can't use one in rainy weather, although not many folks bike in the rain anyhow. Considering my kit to convert an existing bike retailed at $400 when it first came out, and this one includes a bike I'd say it's a good deal. Mongoose lists this with a $400 MSRP on their site.

titewad said: ionizer said: pardon my retardation, but what the heck is an electric bicycle?

like do you still pedal? if not, whats the point of the pedals?
if you do, then whats the electric for?

i don't get it

Power assist up hills.
also very handy when you are at stop at an intersection, or stop at a crosswalk on a bike path as you go through them at close to full speed instead of having to build up your speed again. Or just to see the looks on people's faces when you are cruising 10-12 miles an hour on a flat road without pedaling. Even when you are pedaling you do it almost effortlessly, it's like the bike wants you to pedal. I do prefer having my electric motor on a single speed with coaster brakes though. I think it is safer.

Can you charge the battery by peddling? If so, I can actually see that being a really practical and a nice green option for those who live within a few miles of work, shopping, etc.

NYS prohibits the use of electric bikes on public roadways.
This rule is enforced in NY city. At one time electric and gas powered mini scooter were popular in nyc. The cops started to confiscate the scooters and issue fines against the riders. check NYS motor vehicles website for regulations.

:Dit's the hybrid version of bicycle.. very nice..

Specifications say: Total weight: 90 lbs
Wal Mart says, Shipping Weight (in pounds): 62.0

Hmmm???

Question for someone who has owned one of these or similar: What's the total weight of the bike? I'd like to hang it on my garage wall, but don't know if I need some sturdier hooks or clamps and 2) Is it so heavy that I won't be able to lift this bad boy on a regular basis? Thanks.

Electric bicycles cost only pennies a charge, with the right batteries(a123) cost 1/3 the cost of operating a car per mile, including battery replacement. A bike with a crystalyte phoenix motor can easily sustain 45 mph at 72 volts(about 120v max). They can be used for by people that are not in the best shape, have some sort of injury, or as a commuter so that when you get to work you aren't dripping with sweat. They produce about 1/900th of the emmissions a car produces. They dont have to be licenced, registered. And they use no oil. They are very viable.

Coolarrow said: Question for someone who has owned one of these or similar: What's the total weight of the bike? I'd like to hang it on my garage wall, but don't know if I need some sturdier hooks or clamps and 2) Is it so heavy that I won't be able to lift this bad boy on a regular basis? Thanks.
I don't own this model personally, but that removable battery box is the reason it is 90 pounds. I'd guess it weighs anywhere from 20-30 pounds, so just remove it when you store it on the wall. I'll bet Mongoose would be happy to let you know it's weight if you are considering buying one of these.

Now please excuse me as I take a ride on my electric pedal assist bicycle

Go USA!

lui1828 said: NYS prohibits the use of electric bikes on public roadways.
This rule is enforced in NY city. At one time electric and gas powered mini scooter were popular in nyc. The cops started to confiscate the scooters and issue fines against the riders. check NYS motor vehicles website for regulations.


Too bad, it sounds perfect for Manhattan, based on above posts.

burb72 said: Electric bicycles cost only pennies a charge, with the right batteries(a123) cost 1/3 the cost of operating a car per mile, including battery replacement. A bike with a crystalyte phoenix motor can easily sustain 45 mph at 72 volts(about 120v max). They can be used for by people that are not in the best shape, have some sort of injury, or as a commuter so that when you get to work you aren't dripping with sweat. They produce about 1/900th of the emmissions a car produces. They dont have to be licenced, registered. And they use no oil. They are very viable.

thanks ed bagely

Does anyone know if this bike is good in general? Or is this just a huge deal even if the bike is crap?

Not familiar with electric bikes, but I'm guess it's not switchable to another bike right?

Eliu91 said: Does anyone know if this bike is good in general? Or is this just a huge deal even if the bike is crap?

Not familiar with electric bikes, but I'm guess it's not switchable to another bike right?


I believe it is switchable to bio diesel (oil [fat] burning)

Eliu91 said: Does anyone know if this bike is good in general? Or is this just a huge deal even if the bike is crap?

Not familiar with electric bikes, but I'm guess it's not switchable to another bike right?


Looks like it would be a pain to put the electrics on another bike, especially due to the twist-grip controls in the handlebar. Mounting the motor and chain-drive on another bike is not a trivial matter, either.

Thanks for the reply.

I just want to make sure I'm not buying a gimmick, I don't think I'll need the motor all the time so I want to make sure the bike is at least decent.

Also seems like motor is useless if the bike gets destroyed/falls apart.

90 lbs is a lot, and 450 W is probably maximum output with a fully charged battery. I don't know what this battery is, but I would stay away from Pb.

We have a BionX electric hybrid bicycle that is fantastic, but it cost 5X.

I would quess 24V, so two 12V, 10 or 12 Ah gel batteries. Expect them to last one year if used daily. Replacement would be around $60.00. I bet this thing has a steel frame, and not aluminum. That has to be a misprint. Otherwise very good deal. I ride daily with the dog 5 or 6 miles, but would never pedal if I had this.

isn't a 26" bike pretty big bike? Would a 5'9" rider be comfortable riding a 26" bike?

The cops have to catch you first... just keep going down one way streets and they won't be able to find you let alone catch you.


dkong said: lui1828 said: NYS prohibits the use of electric bikes on public roadways.
This rule is enforced in NY city. At one time electric and gas powered mini scooter were popular in nyc. The cops started to confiscate the scooters and issue fines against the riders. check NYS motor vehicles website for regulations.


Too bad, it sounds perfect for Manhattan, based on above posts.

quik2 said: isn't a 26" bike pretty big bike? Would a 5'9" rider be comfortable riding a 26" bike?

they're referring to the tire size; like when you say a 26" mountain bike

Do check your local laws if you want to be legal. I bought a moped (49cc engine + pedals) in Oregon thinking it would make a great commuter here in the suburbs and was equivalent to a bicycle (as it was back in NY in the 70ís), in DOTís view. Well, it turned out that I did not need a motorcycle endorsement, but I had to get it registered/insured and wear a motorcycle helmet. Oh, and I was not permitted to ride on the sidewalk, or in the bicycle lane, with the engine running. One sunny afternoon I was straddling the white line, buzzing along at 25MPH, and a truck whooshed past me at 45MPH, leaning on its horn, so I decided to sell it, and bought a 250.

If you want it shipped, it is cheaper to buy from Costco ($299.99 shipped) since WalMart charges a lot for shipping. You also get Costco's satisfaction guarantee.

Link to Costco bike

I used to have an electric bike that could go 18mph without pedalling (modified Merida bike from a FW deal) and it didn't feel that fast, so 15mph may be slow for some.

quik2 said: isn't a 26" bike pretty big bike? Would a 5'9" rider be comfortable riding a 26" bike?

26" is pretty much the standard size for a garden-variety adult bike, but my wife, who is about 5', prefers a 24". Of more importance is the vertical adjustment of the seat and frame size. You pretty much have to try the individual bike to see if it can be adjusted to be comfortable for you.

shrimplover said: If you want it shipped, it is cheaper to buy from Costco ($299.99 shipped) since WalMart charges a lot for shipping. You also get Costco's satisfaction guarantee.

Link to Costco bike

I used to have an electric bike that could go 18mph without pedalling (modified Merida bike from a FW deal) and it didn't feel that fast, so 15mph may be slow for some.


Shipping TO THE STORE is free, if you are willing to pick it up. Also noticed that Toys-R-Us and Target have it (different colors) for about the same price as Costco (shipping may be extra).

Replacement batteries are at: webstore.currietech.com (which redirects to AMAZ0N)

I know it sez unisex, but it looks like a girl's bike to me.

As updated in the Quick Summary...

Check out this blog over @ http://teazo.blogspot.com/. Goes from beginning to a couple weeks of use. -- DillPickle

For health's sake spend the $300 to buy a REAL BIKE from a bikeshop. You will be a lot more heathier and happier.

DamnoIT said: For health's sake spend the $300 to buy a REAL BIKE from a bikeshop. You will be a lot more heathier and happier.

Excuse me, Mr. Bike Purist, would a Huffy from Kmart qualify as a REAL BIKE?

TheNYCCharles said: The cops have to catch you first... just keep going down one way streets and they won't be able to find you let alone catch you.


dkong said: lui1828 said: NYS prohibits the use of electric bikes on public roadways.
This rule is enforced in NY city. At one time electric and gas powered mini scooter were popular in nyc. The cops started to confiscate the scooters and issue fines against the riders. check NYS motor vehicles website for regulations.


Too bad, it sounds perfect for Manhattan, based on above posts.


Too risky. There are bike cops all around on the UES.

Thanks for the deal, OP.

Around $300 seems to be the going rate for these. Will wait till they get a little cheaper.

sesquipedalian said: I would quess 24V, so two 12V, 10 or 12 Ah gel batteries. Expect them to last one year if used daily. Replacement would be around $60.00. I bet this thing has a steel frame, and not aluminum. That has to be a misprint. Otherwise very good deal. I ride daily with the dog 5 or 6 miles, but would never pedal if I had this.

The costco description says the frame is high tensile steel, not aluminum.

DillPickle04 said: As updated in the Quick Summary...

Check out this blog over @ http://teazo.blogspot.com/. Goes from beginning to a couple weeks of use. -- DillPickle


That's not the same model.

AmishBoy said: Specifications say: Total weight: 90 lbs
Wal Mart says, Shipping Weight (in pounds): 62.0

Hmmm???


The Costco description says the bike weighs 68 pounds - seems like that's about right.

questions06 said: DamnoIT said: For health's sake spend the $300 to buy a REAL BIKE from a bikeshop. You will be a lot more heathier and happier.

Excuse me, Mr. Bike Purist, would a Huffy from Kmart qualify as a REAL BIKE?


When your kid breaks an arm or you bite it because the guy getting paid 5.15/hr put the thing together didn't know how to tighten bolts you may change your tune. The ride on a real bike put together by a real mechanic is far different then the Wally specials. The shifting, durability, and overall experince is far greater. Why would you wan't an electric bike? Your health will thank you to do some pedaling. If you have bad knees or hip problems then this may be a good thing for you but otherwise be part of the ride!

Since this is FatWallet I will give insight on a deal, look for last years model of bike and you should get 20-30% off so a $400 bike for around $300. Specalized make a hardrock series that is pretty durable that is a good one to look at.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017