More deals in the official Fry's freebies (Free after Rebate) thread.
rated:
in for 1

5 year warranty...very good. Now I need a decent (read: cheap) USB enclosure...anyone?

rated:
chubbywallet said: in for 1

5 year warranty...very good. Now I need a decent (read: cheap) USB enclosure...anyone?


if you are putting it in a desktop, then this is a good price.

if you are going to put it in an enclosure, I suggest you buy it for $10-$20 more somewhere already enclosed in something reliable. I am pretty positive you can find it for about $110 in an enclosure one one of these hot deals.

A quick search finds it in an enclosure for $117 with free shipping at Buy.com
link

rated:
please green me if you like thx

rated:
chubbywallet said: in for 1

5 year warranty...very good. Now I need a decent (read: cheap) USB enclosure...anyone?

If U need an external HD, I go with this route:
OM has a Seagate 500GB for $119 - 20 (coupon in the mail) - 15 (5 ink cartridges) = $84 + tax

rated:
If you just want an external hard drive Dell has a 500gb my book essential hard drive for $95 after coupon.

rated:
mybook is 1 year warranty. not comparable.

rated:
hellola said: mybook is 1 year warranty. not comparable.
And once your seagate drive dies any time, they replace you with a refurb - that is, a hard drive once died (and possibly to die again, soon.) Although mybook gets 1 year warranty only, the drive inside typically gets 3 year warranty. I am not saying that you can take the drive out and claim that 3 year warranty. It is just an indication how western digital is confident with their drives. And unlike seagate, WDC replaces your dead drive with a brand new one.

rated:
bad deal
suncityrk said: Seagate 500GB ULTRA DMA/100 16MB Buffer ST3500641A-RK - Retail Hard Drive Kit $94.99+Tax+(Shipping)

Good for instore shopping to avoid shipping charge

rated:
vws said: It is just an indication how western digital is confident with their drives. And unlike seagate, WDC replaces your dead drive with a brand new one.

No its not an indication of WD's confidence in their drives. They are just using their retail drives in their enclosures and don't bother to change the warranty down to 1 year.

As to WD sending brand new drives as warranty replacement. That is also incorrect. Last time my WD600BB died a couple of years (may be more) ago, I got a REFURB back as replacement and the replacement makes more noise that any drive I have seen.

rated:
snore....where the deals at on hard drives...

Not your fault OP. this is actually a decent deal, i'm just whining about prices being high still. Come on we're in a recession here. =)

rated:
As dvpatel pointed out, you're wrong on WD replacing RMA drives with new drives. I've done several WD RMA, and they send you recertified drives, just like seagate. It would be nice if ppl stop spreading false info.

I've used many drive brands, and I prefer Seagate > WD. Both brands are solid, but I had drives fail from both brands. Lets not even talk about Maxtors and IBM/Hitachi.

Good deal OP.

vws said: hellola said: mybook is 1 year warranty. not comparable.
And once your seagate drive dies any time, they replace you with a refurb - that is, a hard drive once died (and possibly to die again, soon.) Although mybook gets 1 year warranty only, the drive inside typically gets 3 year warranty. I am not saying that you can take the drive out and claim that 3 year warranty. It is just an indication how western digital is confident with their drives. And unlike seagate, WDC replaces your dead drive with a brand new one.

rated:
dvpatel said: vws said: It is just an indication how western digital is confident with their drives. And unlike seagate, WDC replaces your dead drive with a brand new one.
No its not an indication of WD's confidence in their drives. They are just using their retail drives in their enclosures and don't bother to change the warranty down to 1 year.

That's what I am saying - the drives inside their enclosures are same as the retail drives. Were those drives not put into the enclosures, they are as good as the retail ones. Whether the enclosures themselves are worth 3 year or 1 year warranty, that's not the case in point.

As to WD sending brand new drives as warranty replacement. That is also incorrect. Last time my WD600BB died a couple of years (may be more) ago, I got a REFURB back as replacement and the replacement makes more noise that any drive I have seen.
WD600BB? Was your RMA within it's warranty when you requested that? Seriously, I don't know how many of them 60GB 3.5" IDE drives still existed in the year 2006-2007 time frame. Try a more recent model - like the real "within 3-year warranty models" - and see what they replace you with.

As dvpatel pointed out, you're wrong on WD replacing RMA drives with new drives. I've done several WD RMA, and they send you recertified drives, just like seagate. It would be nice if ppl stop spreading false info.
I spoke from my experience so your statement is actually false to me. The fact is that I follow their RMA rules and I have always gotten the brand new replacement from WDC.

rated:
riznick said: chubbywallet said: in for 1

5 year warranty...very good. Now I need a decent (read: cheap) USB enclosure...anyone?


if you are putting it in a desktop, then this is a good price.

if you are going to put it in an enclosure, I suggest you buy it for $10-$20 more somewhere already enclosed in something reliable. I am pretty positive you can find it for about $110 in an enclosure one one of these hot deals.

A quick search finds it in an enclosure for $117 with free shipping at Buy.com
link

Office Depot will have Seagate 500GB FreeAgent (USB 2.0 only) for $109.99 starting Feb. 17. Not sure if it'll be the same price online and with free shipping.

rated:
vws said: hellola said: mybook is 1 year warranty. not comparable.
And once your seagate drive dies any time, they replace you with a refurb - that is, a hard drive once died (and possibly to die again, soon.) Although mybook gets 1 year warranty only, the drive inside typically gets 3 year warranty. I am not saying that you can take the drive out and claim that 3 year warranty. It is just an indication how western digital is confident with their drives. And unlike seagate, WDC replaces your dead drive with a brand new one.

Every WDC drive I have ever had die on me was replaced with a refurb...

rated:
pokumon said: As dvpatel pointed out, you're wrong on WD replacing RMA drives with new drives. I've done several WD RMA, and they send you recertified drives, just like seagate. It would be nice if ppl stop spreading false info.

I've used many drive brands, and I prefer Seagate > WD. Both brands are solid, but I had drives fail from both brands. Lets not even talk about Maxtors and IBM/Hitachi.

Good deal OP.


Agreed, Seagate, then WD, then everyone else, with maxtor at the bottom (although since Seagate owns them now, I'm more likely to buy one). As to warranty replacements... I've only received new drives when warranty replacing Seagate drives... but then I haven't had 1 fail on me since the a 2 gig drive was LARGE Please don't think I'm some standard user either, I've got 4 computers at home right now, all with assorted seagate drives from 120 to 300gig. I've built between 10 and 30 computers per year for friends and family in the last 10 years. I still have a 3 and a 15gig drive sitting in my book shelf that both had between 2 and 3 years (near constant) use. I do make sure that everyone I know plugs their computer into a good (APC) power strip, if not talking them into getting a cheap UPS. I don't think this is the reason I've had such good luck with HDDs, but I can't rule it out either.

rated:
pokumon said: As dvpatel pointed out, you're wrong on WD replacing RMA drives with new drives. I've done several WD RMA, and they send you recertified drives, just like seagate. It would be nice if ppl stop spreading false info.
You can't call people spreading false info when you can't be 100% positive of every single case out there. You and VWS might as well say that it is YMMV how WD handles their RMA drives. Keep in mind, it is common that RMA doesn't guarantee whether the replacement will be a brand new unit or a repaired one. So chances are, there are always some lucky/unlucky ones.

I've used many drive brands, and I prefer Seagate > WD. Both brands are solid, but I had drives fail from both brands. Lets not even talk about Maxtors and IBM/Hitachi.
Why can't we talk about Hitachi? I, OTOH, much prefer Hitachi than Seagate than WD. Now you see, everyone is biased somehow so let's try not to advocate our biased views in such a way it is the only truth - or we're just like spreading false info, aren't we?

rated:
vws said:
WD600BB? Was your RMA within it's warranty when you requested that? Seriously, I don't know how many of them 60GB 3.5" IDE drives still existed in the year 2006-2007 time frame. Try a more recent model - like the real "within 3-year warranty models" - and see what they replace you with.

Dude. 2 or so years ago puts me in the 2005 time frame and yes the drive was IN-WARRANTY. I do not pay companies to rip me off. I'd have had come out ahead in purchasing a new drive if my drive was out of warranty. It had an extended 2 year warranty on top of the old school 1 yr warranty WD used to have. As to companies sending brand new drives, why would the do that? It does not make economic sense to them. They'd only do that if they run out of the model you send in for replacement and they don't have a refurb on their hands. That most likely would only happen if your brand new drive dies. How many brand new drives have you got from WD as replacement any way? Thankfully, in the last 10 years, only one of my drive has died and that was that WD600BB. I was hoping they'd send a WD600JB or a WD800JB but they sent me a noisy WD600BB. That's been running fine for 2 - 3 years now. I doubt that WD always sends you brand new drives as replacements. I have only heard of folks saying they get recertified ones. You on the other hand are an exception.

rated:
dvpatel said: vws said:
WD600BB? Was your RMA within it's warranty when you requested that? Seriously, I don't know how many of them 60GB 3.5" IDE drives still existed in the year 2006-2007 time frame. Try a more recent model - like the real "within 3-year warranty models" - and see what they replace you with.

Dude. 2 or so years ago puts me in the 2005 time frame and yes the drive was IN-WARRANTY. I do not pay companies to rip me off. I'd have had come out ahead in purchasing a new drive if my drive was out of warranty. It had an extended 2 year warranty on top of the old school 1 yr warranty WD used to have. As to companies sending brand new drives, why would the do that? It does not make economic sense to them. They'd only do that if they run out of the model you send in for replacement and they don't have a refurb on their hands. That most likely would only happen if your brand new drive dies. How many brand new drives have you got from WD as replacement any way? Thankfully, in the last 10 years, only one of my drive has died and that was that WD600BB. I was hoping they'd send a WD600JB or a WD800JB but they sent me a noisy WD600BB. That's been running fine for 2 - 3 years now. I doubt that WD always sends you brand new drives as replacements. I have only heard of folks saying they get recertified ones. You on the other hand are an exception.

Ok. In the last 12 years, I've had 3 RMA's with WDC. A Caviar 31600, a WD600BB and a WD1600JS. All were replaced by brand new units, no recert stamp or sign on the drives whatsoever (unlike the Seagate RMA's). And they all function perfectly. You on the other hand, has only 1 RMA experience with them and you call my 3 cases over 12 years of time frame all exception. Are you quite a blanket statement maker? Wouldn't you need more evidence to sustain your single-case claim? Also, I believe in my own experience much more than what I read on the forums, and I am sure I am not spreading false info like those re-echo hearsays all day long.

I agree with dealofreak's comments above - he pretty much summed it up and I hope this off-topic conversation ends here. If you wish to continue this trivial argument, carry it on in the PM.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016