posted 48 years ago by
valleypoboy
Senior Member - 2K

link

These are a great fan with a 3 speed switch. Not sure if this one has LEDs or not, probably not. Great deal

Views
21 Comments
Add Comment
Mentioning B&M would help.

Thank OP I read the add and missed them in 4 3

Why are idiots giving me red on this with no comments???

enter8 said: Mentioning B&M would help.

enter8, Fry's ALWAYS means B&M, frys.com or outpost.com would mean ONLINE. Anyone that shops at Fry's knows they VERY rarely do they run the same deals online as B&M, you can almost consider B&M and Online 2 different stores.

valleypoboy said: Why are idiots giving me red on this with no comments???

enter8, Fry's ALWAYS means B&M, frys.com or outpost.com would mean ONLINE. Anyone that shops at Fry's knows they VERY rarely do they run the same deals online as B&M, you can almost consider B&M and Online 2 different stores.

That's funny as I've noticed many Fry's B&M deals for the same price online. Look at all the FAR software. Sometime the online price is higher and sometimes B&M is higher.

Try a forum search for "frys" and see how many of the deals that don't have B&M in the title actually turn out to be B&M only as you stated. Me thinks you will see why the red...

bullrake said: Try a forum search for "frys" and see how many of the deals that don't have B&M in the title actually turn out to be B&M only as you stated. Me thinks you will see why the red...

About half... Maybe it's just because I've been here so long, but Fry's = B&M frys.com or outpost = Online
Also red = bad deal, green = good deal... if you have a problem with the title or information in the post you don't give the whole deal a red.

hudster said: $9 at fry's online...and NO free shipping

It's also $5.99 online, now.

hudster said: $9 at fry's online...and NO free shipping

Amazon has had these on sale in the past for $7-$8 w/ free prime shipping. I do have a couple of these fans and they are quite nice.

Thanks OP. I needed 4 of these for my new radiator.

The Fry's ads in San Diego also mention the 5.99 Tricool fan.

If these are equal to the TriCool 120mm that are included in their higher end cases then I'd say stay away. At the lowest setting, the TriCool is easily more than double the loudness of the Yate Loons running off the motherboard connector. Sure, maybe not as much CFM, but these sure are louder than they really ought to be, especially since there are 3 settings... I've been removing them and now have a stack that I'd gladly get rid of...

red for poor attitude

GWBush said: If these are equal to the TriCool 120mm that are included in their higher end cases then I'd say stay away. At the lowest setting, the TriCool is easily more than double the loudness of the Yate Loons running off the motherboard connector. Sure, maybe not as much CFM, but these sure are louder than they really ought to be, especially since there are 3 settings... I've been removing them and now have a stack that I'd gladly get rid of...
I agree with you 100%. I currently have 3 Antec cases with these, and these fans are nothing special. At low setting the noise level is acceptable but you only get about 38 CFM. At medium settings it's already too loud, and you only get 56 CFM. On high the airflow is somewhere in the 70s, but if it's already too loud on medium, what's the point?

Just for comparison I have a Scythe S-Flex and a Yateloon D12SL which both blow air at about 47CFM, and are both noticably quiter and push more air than the TriCool at LOW setting.

BTW, Antec claims that the noise rating of a TriCool on medium settings are only 28 DBA, same as a Yateloon D12SL. What a joke...

Grandpa told me about these old fashioned fans last time I was sitting on his knee. This decade I prefer to use 3 or 4 pin variable voltage or PWM fans that are thermostatically controlled by the BIOS or via utilities like Speedfan.

Manually changing a switch is not my cup of tea.

henny said: Grandpa told me about these old fashioned fans last time I was sitting on his knee. This decade I prefer to use 3 or 4 pin variable voltage or PWM fans that are thermostatically controlled by the BIOS or via utilities like Speedfan.

http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/tricool_install.html
Note: The minimum voltage to start the fan is 5V. We recommend our users to set the fan speed to High if you choose to connect the fan to a fan control device or to the Fan-Only connector found on some of Antecís power supplies. A fan-controlled-device regulates the fan speed by varying the voltage to it. The voltage may start as low as 4.5 V to 5V. Connecting a TriCool set on Medium or Low to a fan-control device may result in the fan not being able to start. The already lowered voltage from the fan control device will be further reduced by the TriCool circuitry below 5V.

henny said: Grandpa told me about these old fashioned fans last time I was sitting on his knee. This decade I prefer to use 3 or 4 pin variable voltage or PWM fans that are thermostatically controlled by the BIOS or via utilities like Speedfan.

Might want to learn to read before an ill fated attempt at humor.

I agree that these fans are just OK from a noise to CFM ratio perspective. The new Scythe SlipStreams (particularly the 800RPM) are much quieter at roughly the same CFM, and are only about $9 online. I replaced the TriCool in my Sonata with that and it is much quieter (even than the lowest setting).

Thanks OP, picked up 2 to replace a dead fan and have a spare.

-johnniewalker

good deal on decent fans (these are the same as the colored led antec tricool fans, but this comes without led)
i got this a few weeks ago for $4.99 after rebate, but now you dont have to deal with rebate

regarding the noise level, I do agree it isn't quiet on medium or high, but they do push alot of air. scythe is the way to go if you're looking for quiet, but expect to pay twice as much (unless you got a good deal). I have about 6 of the 120mm and 3 of the 80mm versions in 2 pcs and have them all set on low. If you have enough fans/air you should be able to keep the system temp cool with these guys set on low. To be honest, my case with the 6 fans is very quiet, compared to the 1 fan i had in my old HP desktop.

enter8 said: Mentioning B&M would help.enter8, Fry's ALWAYS means B&M, frys.com or outpost.com would mean ONLINE. Anyone that shops at Fry's knows they VERY rarely do they run the same deals online as B&M, you can almost consider B&M and Online 2 different stores.
Fry's, the chain that originated in northern California, has nothing to do with frys.com or outpost.com and probably sells nothing online, unlike Fry's, the chain that originated in northern California, does, as anybody who shops at Fry's knows, which includes many customers of Fry's.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017