posted 47 years ago by
Wineaux
STOP! Hammertime!

For those of you who own a Microsoft Fingerprint Reader, there is a little known program in place for those of us who are using either XP-64 or any flavor of Vista-64. As those of you with one of these devices know, M$ has never released the 64-Bit drivers that they promised from the beginning, and they have steadfastly refused to allow the OEM of the actual hardware to release a 64-Bit driver that supports M$'s version. They have 64-Bit drivers for their exact same product under their own name brand (Digital Persona), but they won't recognize the M$ branded version. Even HP and Toshiba have reached agreements with DP, but not M$. Oddly enough, 64-Bit Linux DOES support the M$ branded fingerprint reader...

M$ for some odd reason decided that if they created a refund program for the device, but never actually told anyone about it, that it would fulfill their legal obligations since they stated from day 1 of Vista that there would be 64-Bit drivers for this product. I found out about it after doing a LOT of digging on teh intrawebs looking for 64-Bit drivers so I could use the ones I purchased from OD on my new PC's running Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. No drivers, but I did find out about the existence of this plan, and the phone number you need to use!

What you need in front of you:

The actual fingerprint reader itself.

Call: 1-888-218-5617
Option: 1
Option: 1

Tell them you own the fingerprint reader and a M$ 64-Bit OS. Pick one. They don't verify this. Tell them there aren't drivers for your device.

They will then ask for the PID on the bottom of the fingerprint reader. If you are getting older and your eyesight sucks be prepared... The numbers are TINY!

They will then ask for your Name, Address, Phone Number, and Email Address. Give those to them.

Voila! One check for $39.95 per reader that you have a PID number for. No limit that I know of. I had two readers and so am getting two checks!

Oh, and you get to keep the fingerprint readers as an added bonus. Provided you have a computer with a 32-Bit OS to use them on.

Quite honestly, I would have preferred to have just downloaded the drivers so I could use the product, but this way I can go out and buy a product that works with Vista 64-Bit.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Micro$oft Optical Desktop with Integrated Fingerprint Reader keyboard was also covered by this refund plan! Actually, any M$ hardware product for Windows that includes their fingerprint reader is covered, so call if your keyboard, etc has a fingerprint reader built into it. All they can do is say "no".

Further EDIT: The fingerprint reader and the "wireless keyboard with reader" are in the program. The optical desktop with fingerprint reader is not.

Views
309 Comments
Add Comment
Yep. I had two from a similar deal.

I have three of them courtesy of Microsoft MobileTraining.

Thanks OP, this is smoking hot for me.

dexterali said: wow, I got 12 of these that I ordered last time they where like $10 each. Sweet!!!!!!

They have been just sitting around still in case.

Feel free to buy me lunch with your winnings. Using a BOGO coupon from here of course... LOL

WOW Thanks a LOT OP!!!!

BTW for those who still have them in the box and don't want to open it to find out the PID... here's a trick. On the back of the clam shell packaging, look for the barcode... format it as such: 75810-600-(last 6 digit of the S/N)-(5 digit lot number, if it's 4 digit then add another 0 in the front).

I was able to get all 4 of mine refunded. Great info OP!

Did you give the information about all 4 readers at a time or you had to call 4 different times ?

Does anyone know if I can get the refund just for the sole finger print reader or even the MS keyboards with integrated fingerprint reader are eligible ??

SteveDusa said: WOW Thanks a LOT OP!!!!

BTW for those who still have them in the box and don't want to open it to find out the PID... here's a trick. On the back of the clam shell packaging, look for the barcode... format it as such: 75810-600-(last 6 digit of the S/N)-(5 digit lot number, if it's 4 digit then add another 0 in the front).

I was able to get all 4 of mine refunded. Great info OP!

miamikk said: Did you give the information about all 4 readers at a time or you had to call 4 different times ?

Does anyone know if I can get the refund just for the sole finger print reader or even the MS keyboards with integrated fingerprint reader are eligible ??

Just called once, tell them you how much you have and they'll ask you each of the PIDs. Name, address, phone and done!

Any idea if this will work for the MS Fingerprint keyboard too?

Xbrady, is it that you just like to give red to my posts, or are you just a Richard Cranium? I usually just ignore your drive-by reds, but this time I really would like to know what is bad about this deal? There were a LOT of us who bought these things on the cheap from both OD and CC a while back. We get to keep the product, albeit it has limited usage these days, and we MAKE $30 as well? Oh, and no one really knew the damned program from M$ even existed! M$ certainly wasn't telling anyone.

So what is it? Do you have a legitimate beef, or do you get to be the only person I have ever put on ignore on this site?

HayaBuddha said: Any idea if this will work for the MS Fingerprint keyboard too?
Yes it will, and for the original MSRP of the keyboard!

Updated post to include that the Micro$oft Optical Desktop with Integrated Fingerprint Reader was also included in the plan.

Thanks OP.

Just called and $39.95 + tax check is being sent in about 2 weeks.

called and spoke with jill; forgot these have three-year warranty, so i imagine most people who bought these would fall within that period. no troubles with my one (that i actually use on an old desktop..sort of); tried to act surprised when she offered full msrp back, heh..thanks much, op!

there was also an "intellimouse explorer with fingerprint reader" pic that i would imagine also qualifies. it had a nice bluish hue that was different from the regular silver and special edition ones, but i never could figure out why they created a new design for it instead of just including the standalone one.

edit: fixed image link.

ho ho ho.. merry christmas OP. free $40 coming.. off to buy some on craigslist j/k..

They're giving refunds for all product made since the device's inception in 2004. Even out of warranty they are refunding MSRP on these because they advertised and promised that they were going to be 64-Bit compatible. M$ just ended up being too cheap to pay Digital Persona's licensing fees. Someone on a MS TechNet thread mentioned that Logitech had purchased Digital Persona, so that in the end may have been why M$ refused to continue to support the products with the promised new drivers.

When I had listed this on CL about 2 years ago there was no buyer. It was lying in a box and now I am getting $43.xx. good deal. Originally got FAR.

deshwasi said: ho ho ho.. merry christmas OP. free $40 coming.. off to buy some on craigslist j/k..

I remember getting these FAR after a PM at CC.

Thanks OP.

Just called and provided the information. CS said it may take up to 6-8 weeks for the check!

Holy SHXT! - I bought TONS of these when OD on sale $10.00 and sold them all with some handsome profits! Now I wish I am still keeping them in my basement. -

That is a smoking hot deal, OP! Maybe I should send a note to all the buyers. Hey, here is $40 plus tax for you! -

got mine for free AR at OD 2 yrs ago. Called the toll free # and was done in 5 min. check will be issued in 7 to 10 days

thankxxxx

reminbi2000 said: Holy SHXT! - I bought TONS of these when OD on sale $10.00 and sold them all with some handsome profits! Now I wish I am still keeping them in my basement. -

That is a smoking hot deal, OP! Maybe I should send a note to all the buyers. Hey, here is $40 plus tax for you! -

You'd have life long customers if you did! Heck, I'd buy other stuff from you if a seller ever contacted me to let me know I could make $40 off of something I bought from them. In 4-8 weeks I' start putting up listings for lots of $40 items if you do. They'll have extra money to spend right about that time! LOL

I called and spoke with Aaron and did as your post instructed and was told there are no plans for the 64 bit drivers and was not offered a refund. I guess I'll try to call back and get ahold of someone else.

Yes, call back.

cmrivera said: I called and spoke with Aaron and did as your post instructed and was told there are no plans for the 64 bit drivers and was not offered a refund. I guess I'll try to call back and get ahold of someone else.

i called per os's instruction and the guy offered the refund without me even asking for it. request was sent to money back guarantee program.

Just called for my two fp readers and got two refunds. Thanks!

This should be the post of the month! Took 5 minutes to get my $40 back. I bought this at OD for free AR cause I used FC and coupons. Awesome deal!

I have to say for once at least Microsoft is going above and beyond the call by offering this program to their customers.

Thank you man for posting this!

Called and not offered any rebate. Called back and was told that the optical desktop with fingerprint reader is not covered because it is at the end of its life cycle. Not very halpful or friendly at M$.

Called and was told my fingerprint reader qualified for a refund. The RSP said he would forward my information to the refund department, but there is no confirmation that will be sent.

Thanks OP.

How come this fingerprint reader is selling for $261.99 on Amazon????

I was told no on the integrated keyboard optical reader.

was also told no on the fingerprint reader.

Thanks OP! I had two MS Fingerprint Readers purchased from OD some time ago (at most $10 AR, and they may have been free AR). I gave one away to a friend and kept the other. I just called the number provided and the CSR quickly agreed to send me a check for $40. Now I'll call my friend and let him know to contact MS for his $40!

I'm not sure why MS would do this. Once word gets out about the $40 refund, you think it would be cheaper to have a programmer in India hack together a 64-bit driver for the reader and put it on their website. Maybe they thought they could keep the refund quiet and no one would take advantage of it.

Edit - I just saw Wineaux's explanation above -

"They're giving refunds for all product made since the device's inception in 2004. Even out of warranty they are refunding MSRP on these because they advertised and promised that they were going to be 64-Bit compatible. M$ just ended up being too cheap to pay Digital Persona's licensing fees. Someone on a MS TechNet thread mentioned that Logitech had purchased Digital Persona, so that in the end may have been why M$ refused to continue to support the products with the promised new drivers."

I agree, there must be some underlying reason why MS would do this refund.

Great find OP! I have even contacted Microsoft several tyimes about the drivers and they never mentioned this. I called and it has been submitted. They told me 2-4 weeks to receive the check! Thank you.

Offered the refund-Was told 4 wks. Lady I spoke to said program just started this week? - Nice job OP.

wrong thread sry

Just called.. Thx op!

Wineaux said: Xbrady, is it that you just like to give red to my posts, or are you just a Richard Cranium? I usually just ignore your drive-by reds, but this time I really would like to know what is bad about this deal?

Other than the part telling people to lie ("Tell them you own the fingerprint reader and a M$ 64-Bit OS. Pick one. They don't verify this.")?

Actually, quite a few of the new machines being sold these days are coming with 64-Bit Vista installed, and lots of people are interested in moving to a 64-Bit OS but haven't done so due to legacy driver issues. This allows those folks to replace their hardware with something that DOES support the 64-Bit OS and then move to that platform. Especially since Win7 64-Bit RC is FREE right now until March of 2010. That means every single Windows user on this board can switch to a 64-Bit OS for free, but their M$ Fingerprint Reader won't work.

Always remember.....in confusion there is profit....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017