I called yesterday morning and threatened to cancel my service, I do it every year at this time. The operator I spoke to in the cancellation department offered me the new service package deal of premier service (literally every channel except for pay per view) for $59.99 a month and FREE NFL Ticket w/ Free Superfan (which allows you phone / computer watching of the games if needed). This did not extend my contract as I am an existing customer.

So again, threaten to totally cancel your service and get all the channels for 5 months and FREE NFL TIcket, free HD for life for $59.99 a month. That's about $700 worth of programming for free!!

Views
752 Comments
Add Comment
seems like a ridiculous deal but I just signed up. how much is the early termination fee?

www.kemokids.com

polishdreamer said: I called yesterday morning and threatened to cancel my service, I do it every year at this time. The operator I spoke to in the cancellation department offered me the new service package deal of premier service (literally every channel except for pay per view) for $59.99 a month and FREE NFL Ticket w/ Free Superfan (which allows you phone / computer watching of the games if needed). This did not extend my contract as I am an existing customer.

So again, threaten to totally cancel your service and get all the channels for 5 months and FREE NFL TIcket for $59.99 a month. That's about $700 worth of programming for free!!

Did they put up any hassle about giving you free Superfan?

DirecTV has started tracking this type of activity so in upcoming years this may or may not work. I called and got them to give me the same offer they are giving existing ST customers which is $24.95 for 6 payments with free Superfan.

I recently cancelled DirecTv after 14 years. They offered discounted ST and free superfan but there was nothing could have done to make me change my mind. I had been with them for 14+ years.

I was given ST for $24.99 for 6 months and free SuperFan, along with Showtime free for 6 months. I was told that customers could only have one introdutory offer on their account and mine was the this deal last year.

yeah I got this last year as well..... I will call and throw one at the hoop....

I had disconnected Sunday Ticket earlier this week after being offered $10 off per month. Called back today regarding the new offer was tol I could not get it as I had that offer last year BUT was offered free superfan, $10 off per month from Sunday Ticket and Free HD access for six months, so essentially the $20 off per month. The woman I worked with was very friendly.

he rejected me straight up on the new customer free months thing from the commercial, but gave me the $20 off 6 months ,and free SF without even asking.... said I couldn't have the new customer deal as I had it last year.... they are definitely doing better at tracking stuff...

$149 for NFL ST with SF is doable....

polishdreamer said: I called yesterday morning and threatened to cancel my service, I do it every year at this time. The operator I spoke to in the cancellation department offered me the new service package deal of premier service (literally every channel except for pay per view) for $59.99 a month and FREE NFL Ticket w/ Free Superfan (which allows you phone / computer watching of the games if needed). This did not extend my contract as I am an existing customer.

So again, threaten to totally cancel your service and get all the channels for 5 months and FREE NFL TIcket for $59.99 a month. That's about $700 worth of programming for free!!

This seems extremely unlikely and unbelievable. Are you sure that you understood the terms correctly? Your name is POLISH dreamer after all....

this does work, I got it last year..... it looks like depending on your account info, some people are able to get it again, some arent.... worst case deal is what I got... they seem more ready for it this year... he busted me right away as someone who got it last year... but offered me a deal where NFL ST with SF costs about $150 total... compared to $380. so that is good enough for me.

WOOT! Got it for 24.95/month!

didnt work too well for me...i called and threatened to cancel (with no intention of doing so) and he goes "okay" and was ready to cancel. i told him i'd give them another shot....while looking like a jackass probably

jackaroout said: didnt work too well for me...i called and threatened to cancel (with no intention of doing so) and he goes "okay" and was ready to cancel. i told him i'd give them another shot....while looking like a jackass probably

So call back and get another CSR.. Also, if I remember right from when I did the deal a few weeks back, the first person you talk to says "okay" and then transfers you to retentions or whatever they call it.

The CSR I talked to pretty much walked me right to it..

Me: Yeah I'm thinking about cancelled my autorenewal for Sunday Ticket..

CSR: Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Is is because of the high cost?

Me: Yup.

CSR: Well lets see what we can do..

yeah seriously call back.... if they give you BS about calling the other day, I always say my friend called and got this deal WTF, the last guy wouldnt do anything for me!! why did he get a deal and I dont...?

I developed a little trick for when they dont fall for the cancel trick. Just start talking and hang up, right in the middle of a word. This feigns being cut off, and chances are either another will call you back, or they dont and you call a little later and get another rep to argue with. Its amazing how different they are from one to the next, in what they will give. They must be on some sort of commission, to retain your business and not give in.

$ idea. I will literally just hang up as well or feign some excuse. One csr to the next will flip flop 100%

I had to call back 3 times to get a winner last year but this year was 1 call. I understand the terms and threatened to cancel my whole service, not just NFL ticket. One key that might help is in the automated system I said cancel service, so that probably took me to a better department right off the start.

Keep trying, it works and everything you get off is better than nothing.

eastsacg said: polishdreamer said: I called yesterday morning and threatened to cancel my service, I do it every year at this time. The operator I spoke to in the cancellation department offered me the new service package deal of premier service (literally every channel except for pay per view) for $59.99 a month and FREE NFL Ticket w/ Free Superfan (which allows you phone / computer watching of the games if needed). This did not extend my contract as I am an existing customer.

This seems extremely unlikely and unbelievable. Are you sure that you understood the terms correctly? Your name is POLISH dreamer after all....

We live in a Fatwallet era during this recession, paying attention to everything can be the difference between government assistance and making it.

I'm a relatively new Directv customer. I call and played stupid about wanting the new customer promo for Sunday ticket and 5 months premium. They transferred me to ACE, where they told me that I wasn't eligible because I currently had a different new customer promo. She did however offer me Sun Tic for $34.00/month for 6 months and free Super Fan. Not bad, considering I had no cancellation leverage...

This was my second call...first call I got stone-walled...

frist rep, offered me $20 a month and free showtime and stars for 6 months, I asked for superfan and ST, and the $59.99 deal, he said no problem and set it up in 5 min.

On and off the phone in 10 mins.

dadale said: frist rep, offered me $20 a month and free showtime and stars for 6 months, I asked for superfan and ST, and the $59.99 deal, he said no problem and set it up in 5 min.

On and off the phone in 10 mins.

You got a good one right off the start, can't beat that. This is ~$600 in additional programming for free, how can you go wrong?

Two questions before I try this....First are those who tried this past their contract date? Or are you just treathing to do it and tell them you are willing to pay the early termination.

Second question....When you do get a a good deal like a couple mentioned here, are they starting your contract over for time?

Thanks!

nicemann said: Two questions before I try this....First are those who tried this past their contract date? Or are you just treathing to do it and tell them you are willing to pay the early termination.

Second question....When you do get a a good deal like a couple mentioned here, are they starting your contract over for time?

Thanks!

Contract date is not relevant and your contract is not extended from the point they do this, this is a customer retention opportunity.

How long is the $59.99 deal? 6 months, year, forever?

I'm about 6 months away from being out of contract...

rjj130 said: How long is the $59.99 deal? 6 months, year, forever?

I'm about 6 months away from being out of contract...

5 months and it's Premier, so it's every channel. Give them a call and get your Free NFL Ticket / Superfan and enjoy.

Anyone else get in?

Bump.

Existing Subscribers keep trying. I just got DTV to give me the deal with 11 months left on my contract. Saves me $450 over 5 months plus free Sunday Ticket.

I just called, went to cancel route when prompted, simply asked the lady how long I have left on my contract. She stated I was not under contract. I then asked if I could get the new subscriber rate. Nope, I can give it to you for 225 and free superfan...oh geez let me jump up and down...wtf...she did state that she wrote down the offer in the notes, in case I wanted to call back. Gotta keep coming to these forums to get the will to call back.

I was able to get the $59.99 offer for 5 months that includes NFL Sunday Ticket and Premier programming for 5 months with NO contract extention.

However, I will still be charged an additional $10 a month for HD, $5/ month for a 2nd receiver, and $99 (split into 6 equal payments) for Superfan. All said, my monthly bill is now $90 per month + taxes. This is well less than the 159.75 that I am paying now during Sunday Ticket renewal season.

I have been with Directv for 6 years. I have always called up and said I'm going to cancel on 8/20/09 (just an example) which would be a day before my next billing period starts assuming I'm not in a contract. They say okay let me transfer you. As far as I know, or at least every time I have done this they transfer me to retentions.

I signed up for Directv in March. I already have discounts since I am a new customer. I called several times and was shot down over and over again on a deal. On the last call I decided to tell them that I was going to cancel my service. It would cost roughly $400 to cancel my contract but I told them if they gave me a deal on the NFL Ticket that I would stick around. First the guy offered me the regular early bird offer. I said that wasn't good enough. He then offered Superfan for free but I wanted a discount. Finally he offered me $10 off a month for 6 months. I agreed. I figure that $220 for the NFL Ticket isn't too bad since I am a new subscriber. I already get $21 off a month plus an additional $10 a month off for the AAA discount.

Well after 8 calls last night, I simply set up to cancel my DirecTV next Monday. Lets see what happens from here?

latenight71 said: Existing Subscribers keep trying. I just got DTV to give me the deal with 11 months left on my contract. Saves me $450 over 5 months plus free Sunday Ticket.

Did you ask for the Superfan (HD & Online viewing) for Free?? Why isn't anyone asking for it all?

I got everything the OP got. Premier, ST and SF for 5 months for 59.99/ mo. Just be persistent and polite. If DirecTV regularly offered this w/o haggling I wouldn't mind so much their outrageous prices for Plus HD DVR service the other 7 mo. of the year.

Tikyle said: I got everything the OP got. Premier, ST and SF for 5 months for 59.99/ mo. Just be persistent and polite. If DirecTV regularly offered this w/o haggling I wouldn't mind so much their outrageous prices for Plus HD DVR service the other 7 mo. of the year.

That is the key to any good phone transaction, speak clearly and explain yourself and let them answer to you. Great Job Tik, Congrats.

polishdreamer,

I think I might love you. I was about to dump DTV for Dishnetwork (I switched my parents over and I love TurboHD for the price) but I couldn't pass on getting the Sunday Ticket again for free. Indianapolis Colts overload for me........and I live in Atlanta. A friend of mine called and got shot down. I told him to try again we'll see if he has some success (they kept note that he hung up after the first call).

Tikyle said: polishdreamer,

I think I might love you. I was about to dump DTV for Dishnetwork (I switched my parents over and I love TurboHD for the price) but I couldn't pass on getting the Sunday Ticket again for free. Indianapolis Colts overload for me........and I live in Atlanta. A friend of mine called and got shot down. I told him to try again we'll see if he has some success (they kept note that he hung up after the first call).

This is like $700 in free programming on one phone call if you're a direct TV user. It is absolutely the hottest deal I have ever been involved in and I really have no idea why this thread isn't like 40 pages long. I guess getting $10 a month for a year is better to some folks versus all the money.

I am happy to help you and all my fatwallet community friends, congrats again.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017