It's BBQ Season. Post a single best Summer Food or Beverage recipe for us all to enjoy.

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

BBQ 2
Disclaimer

I Love BBQ
Disclaimer
OK folks it is Memorial Day Weekend and the official start of the summer cooking and BBQ'ing season. Lets pick out a single recipe we love and share with others to enhance their cooking and eating this summer.

To keep it reasonable I am going to recommend just 5 categories;

1. Appetizers
2. Salads
3. Main course or one dish meals
4. Deserts
5. Beverages

Please put the category and your dish name in the title first.

example: Desert: Strawberry Shortcake Supreme

I'm already salivating just thinking of all the great recipes you will be sharing. I will add a couple of mine soon but wanted to get this thread started. Thank you in advance for your input. Please stay OT and be kind to others. No red should be given here. Vote for your favorites with green.

Lastly let us raise our MUGS this Memorial Day Weekend to toast our Brave Men & Women (past & present) who serve to keep us FREE ! Thank you.

God Bless America!

Just a PS: Hey guys and gals! This thread is really about sharing your recipes more then it is about mine. The only way people will find this forum thread is if you give the original post some thumbs up green. I see we all are voting on our favorite recipes and giving them green. I like what I am seeing and getting hungry just reading here.

If so inclined please GIVE GREEN TO THE ORIGINAL POST (It's not about me it's about sharing).

Thanks and hope your holiday is going well. First good heat wave here in Maryland with 90 degree today and 90's projected for next three days. Oh yeah and the messy Mid-Atlantic humidity.

Peace.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pulled Pork Sandwich with Slaw
Disclaimer
My favorite BBQ is pulled pork sandwich with a vinegar based BBQ sauce, a touch of slaw and a few rings of either red or Vidalia onion. Baked beans or crispy potato wedges are a great side dish too. Any good recipes?

Monkey Bread with Cream Cheese Glaze
Disclaimer
Desert: Monkey Bread

While this isn't so much BBQ or grillin' it sure is fun at the end of dinner since it brings everybody together for some sticky fun.

Monkey Bread with Cream Cheese Glaze

Monkey bread, also called sticky bread, African coffee cake, golden crown, pinch-me cake and bubbleloaf, is a sticky, gooey pastry served in the United States for breakfast. The origin of the term monkey bread is uncertain. Possible etymologies include that the bread resembles the monkey puzzle tree, or the act of several people pulling at the bread is reminiscent of monkey behavior. Recipes for the bread first appeared in American women's magazines and community cookbooks in the 1950s, and the dish is still virtually unknown outside the United States. The bread is made with pieces of sweet yeast dough (often frozen) which are baked in a cake pan at high heat after first being individually covered in melted butter, cinnamon, sugar and chopped pecans. It is traditionally served hot so that the baked segments can be easily torn away with the fingers and eaten by hand.

Monkey Bread Recipe

Adapted from Cooks Illustrated. CI says this serves 6 to 8; I served it to far more people at a potluck brunch

Dough
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick or 2 ounces) unsalted butter, divided (2 tablespoons softened, 2 tablespoons melted)
1 cup milk, warm (around 110 degrees)
1/3 cup water, warm (also around 110 degrees)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 package or 2 1/4 teaspoons rapid rise, instant or bread machine yeast
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
2 teaspoons table salt

Brown Sugar Coating
1 cup packed light brown sugar (CI advises against dark brown, which they feel imparts too strong of a molasses taste; I suspect it wouldn’t bother me)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick or 4 ounces), mleted

Cream Cheese Glaze
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons powdered sugar, plus extra if needed
2 tablespoons milk, plus extra if needed
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Get oven and pan ready: Adjust oven rack to medium-low position and heat oven to 200°F. When oven reaches 200, turn it off. Butter Bundt pan with 2 tablespoons softened butter. Set aside.

Make dough: In a large measuring cup, mix together milk, water, melted butter, sugar, and yeast.

To proceed with a stand mixer, mix flour and salt in standing mixer fitted with dough hook. Turn machine to low and slowly add milk mixture. After dough comes together, increase speed to medium and mix until dough is shiny and smooth, 6 to 7 minutes. (The dough should be sticky but if it is too wet to come together into anything cohesive, add an additional 2 tablespoons flour.) Turn dough onto lightly floured counter and knead briefly to form smooth, round ball.

To proceed by hand, mix flour and salt in large bowl. Make well in flour, then add milk mixture to well. Using wooden spoon, stir until dough becomes shaggy and is difficult to stir. Turn out onto lightly floured work surface and begin to knead, incorporating shaggy scraps back into dough. Knead until dough is smooth and satiny, about 10 minutes. Shape into taut ball and proceed as directed.

Coat large bowl with nonstick cooking spray or a tablespoon of neutral oil. Place dough in bowl and coat surface of dough with more cooking spray or oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in warm oven until dough doubles in size, 50 to 60 minutes.

Make brown sugar coating: Place melted butter in one bowl. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a second one.

Form the bread: Flip dough out onto floured surface and gently pat into an 8-inch square. Using a bench scraper or knife, cut dough into 64 pieces. I found it helpful to immediately separate them from the rest of the “grid” or they quickly reformed a big doughy square in 64 parts.

Roll each piece of dough into ball. Working one at a time, dip balls in melted butter, allowing excess butter to drip back into bowl. (I found a fork to be helpful for this process.) Roll in brown sugar mixture, then layer balls in Bundt pan, staggering seams (something I didn’t do, but should have) where dough balls meet as you build layers.

Cover Bundt pan tightly with plastic wrap and place in turned-off oven until dough balls are puffy and have risen 1 to 2 inches from top of pan, 50 to 70 minutes.

Bake bread: Remove pan from oven and heat oven to 350°F. Unwrap pan and bake until top is deep brown and caramel might begin to bubble around edges, 30 to 35 minutes. (The reason for the “might” is that CI says that it should, but mine did not bubble, leading me to bake mine for an extra 5 to 10 minutes, during which it still did not bubble but go the dark crust you see in the photos. Next time, I’d take it out sooner.) Cool in pan for 5 minutes (no longer, or you’ll have trouble getting it out) then turn out on platter and allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.

Make glaze: Beat cream cheese with powdered sugar until smooth and light. Add milk and vanilla and this is where you can kick me because I completely forgot I was a food blogger for a minute there and know I added a touch more milk and sugar but did not write down how much. I have some nerve! Just taste and adjust — you’re looking for something that tastes equally tangy and sweet, and texturally thin enough to drape over the bread but thick enough that it will not just roll off completely.

Drizzle the glaze over warm monkey bread, letting it run over top and sides of bread. Serve warm.

Cut an orange in 6 pieces, pour patron in large shot glass, you do the rest.

Iced Fruit Tea
Disclaimer
Beverage: Fruity Iced Tea

This is the perfect summertime refresher. Wonderful to either serve before a meal or at the end of a meal. The fruit sends flavor into the tea and it soaks up flavor. This recipe will work for those on a diet or diabetics watching sugars. Think of it as the Iced Tea version of Sangria. Enjoy!

EVERYDAY INGREDIENTS

8 to 10 tea bags, to taste
2 ten-ounce bags frozen mixed berries
2 apples, cut into eighths
2 pears, cut into eighths
2 lemons
2 limes
Fresh mint leaves

SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS

STEP ONE: Assemble all ingredients and cooking utensils.
STEP TWO: Brew two gallons of water (filtered if possible) that contains the tea bags.
STEP THREE: While tea is brewing, wedge cut apples, and pears. Slice lemons and limes.
STEP FOUR: Once brewed, pour tea into a large glass container.
STEP FIVE: Add the two bags of mixed berries.
STEP SIX: Add the chopped and sliced fruit. Stir in fresh mint leaves.
LAST STEP: Refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend.

Serve cold or over ice with fruit portioned in each glass.

For variety try different types of herbal (ie. Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Zinger) or black and green teas mixed. If fruit does not give you enough sweetness try using Stevia to keep out the dreaded white sugar.

0AfterRebates said:   Download Now: Free Grilling Cookbook

Thank you but this item is a REPOST of a FW Free Stuff listing. Lets give the OP credit by using THIS LINK instead: Martha Stewart Free BBQ Cookbook Download

Enjoy your holiday.

Looking good. Making a dry rub and dipping sauce for the anaconda and wildebeest this weekend.

Main or Appetizer: PIZZA ON THE GRILL

YIELD: Serves 6
COURSE: Breads

Ingredients

1 package (2 1/4 tsp.) active dry yeast
About 6 tbsp. olive oil, divided
4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Preparation

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir yeast into 1 1/2 cups warm water (100° to 110°). Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup oil, the flour, and salt. Mix with dough hook on low speed to blend, then mix on medium speed until dough is very smooth and stretchy, 8 to 10 minutes. Dough will feel tacky.
2. Cover dough and let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
3. Punch down dough and let rise again until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cut 6 pieces of parchment paper, each about 12 in. long. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for medium heat (about 350°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only about 7 seconds).
4. Turn dough out onto a work surface and cut into 6 portions. For each pizza, lay a sheet of parchment on work surface and rub with 1 tsp. oil. Using well-oiled hands, put each dough portion on a parchment sheet. Flatten dough portions, then pat into 9- to 10-in. rounds. If dough starts to shrink, let rest 5 minutes, then pat out again. Let dough stand until puffy, about 15 minutes.
5. Flip a round of dough onto grill, dough side down. Peel off parchment. Put 1 or 2 more dough rounds on grill. Cook, covered, until dough has puffed and grill marks appear underneath, about 3 minutes. Transfer rounds, grilled side up, to baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. (Grilled rounds can stand at room temperature up to 2 hours; reheat grill to continue.)
6. Arrange your choice of pizza toppings (below) on grilled sides of dough. With a wide spatula, return pizzas, 2 or 3 at a time, to grill and cook, covered, until browned and crisp underneath, rotating pizzas once for even cooking, 4 to 6 minutes.
Make ahead: Complete dough through step 1, then chill, covered, at least 3 hours and up to 2 days (dough will double in size, and flavor will develop as it stands).

Sunset
AUGUST 2009

NOTE: I prepare the dough on Dough setting in the bread machine.

RIPE TOMATO PIZZA SAUCE

YIELD: Makes 1 cup (serving size: 2 tbsp.)
COURSE: Sauces/Condiments

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 large red tomatoes (2 lbs. total), chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves

Preparation

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, chile flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until very thick, about 1 1/2 hours. Stir in oregano.

Sunset
AUGUST 2009

NOTE: This sauce takes considerable time but if you have good tomatoes, it is fabulous and well-worth the effort.

MARGHERITA PIZZA

YIELD: Serves 6
TOTAL: 10 MINUTES
COURSE: Main Dishes

Ingredients

Pizza Dough
Ripe Tomato Pizza Sauce
1 pound water-packed fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and cut into 30 to 36 slices
Small fresh basil leaves

Preparation

Spread each half-grilled dough round with about 2 tbsp. pizza sauce, then evenly space 5 or 6 slices cheese over sauce. Grill as directed in step 6 of Our Best Pizza Dough, then top each pizza with several whole or torn basil leaves.

Sunset
AUGUST 2009

NOTE: Use the pizza sauce as base and add toppings of your choice. The crust is also good with plain olive oil, parmesan and toppings. Keep it simple and fresh. This pizza is remarkable.

We must be lazy. We just get some skinless chicken pieces, soak 'em for about 10 minutes in water and then throw 'em on the charcoal grill. A few minutes before they are fully cooked, slather BBQ sauce on the chicken with a basting brush.

Sirloin steak tips on the grill. Take a gallon size ziplock bag or other container, add equal parts teriakis sauce, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, water, about 2 cups total. Drop in the sirloin steak strips in the bag, shake around, sit in fridge for 4-5 hours. Use enough bags for the amount of meat you need.

Start grill, get up to really hot. I cook them on high heat, turning only 3 times at the most, cooking to desired doneness. I bring them in on platter and cut in half for serving.

We do the exact same marinade for swordfish steaks, wife gets them at BJ's frozen, 2 to a package. Comes out awesome.

Similar to mapats...but use jalapeno juice instead of teriyaki sauce. A few minutes before you take the steaks off the grill, baste with a little bit of honey. It's really good on pork, too.

no one mentioned roasted corn on the grill? Oh holy yum. Dress it up with some spices and you are set! corn is in season (??) and even if it is not, it is already easily sweet!!!

Corganiacs said:   no one mentioned roasted corn on the grill? Oh holy yum. Dress it up with some spices and you are set! corn is in season (??) and even if it is not, it is already easily sweet!!!

I love it too. Would you give us your recipe or instructions? Some cook in shuck, some in foil. How about time length and if you cook in some water or butter and what spices.

Hope you had some this weekend!

Peace.

Alas, but I don't have a real grill (I use this), so I don't know how this would taste when properly grilled over actual fire. But, here goes….

Grab a chicken breast. Marinade it in hot sauce and soy sauce. Cook it until nearly done. Cut about 3-5 slits halfway into the chicken breast. Stuff the slits with garlic. Dribble more of the hot sauce/soy sauce concoction over the top (which will flow into the now-wedged-open slits). Add salt, pepper, and Montreal Steak Seasoning mix. Finish cooking it. I usually have it with mashed potatoes and corn.

KC BBQ Rub:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons red pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground (or whole) celery seed

(Gates & Sons)

MisterGadget said:   Corganiacs said:   no one mentioned roasted corn on the grill? Oh holy yum. Dress it up with some spices and you are set! corn is in season (??) and even if it is not, it is already easily sweet!!!

I love it too. Would you give us your recipe or instructions? Some cook in shuck, some in foil. How about time length and if you cook in some water or butter and what spices.

Peace.
lol for this, i do not have a personal recipe to share. I had it once at my friends' house a few years ago when I lived with them for a month and it was yummy. I always was the type to boil my corn so.

KC BBQ Rub 2:

1 cup salt
2/3 cup paprika
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground (dry) mustard
2 teaspoons white or black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground (or whole) celery seed
2 teaspoons powdered onion
2 teaspoons powdered garlic

(Arthur Bryant's)

Salts and/or acids are the active ingredients in any marinade or rub. They break down the cell walls in the meat to tenderize it. I usually marinate for up to a few hours in thin liquid (vinegar/salt) marinades and overnight for dry barbecue rubs or thick liquid marinades.

You don't make this on a grill, but this slow-cooker pulled pork recipe is foolproof and requires only three ingredients.

Slow-cooker Kalua Pork (Pulled Pork)

1 5-lb. pork butt roast
2 Tbsp. rock salt, sea salt, or Hawaiian alae salt
2 Tbsp. mesquite liquid smoke

Put pork butt roast in crock pot, add salt. Cook 8 hours on high heat. Halfway through cooking process, add liquid smoke. When done, pork should be tender and break apart easily with a fork. Shred pork and discard liquid fat, or use some of the fat to keep the meat moist. Eat pork on buns with barbecue sauce on top, or in quesadillas, tacos, whatever strikes your fancy.

Brining Chicken in Bags
Disclaimer

Brining Chicken in Bowls
Disclaimer
TxAggieJen said:   We must be lazy. We just get some skinless chicken pieces, soak 'em for about 10 minutes in water and then throw 'em on the charcoal grill. A few minutes before they are fully cooked, slather BBQ sauce on the chicken with a basting brush.

I fully understand the lack of time thing. Professional chefs using brining or a direct salting method to make chicken, pork and other meats cook more evenly and retain juicy moistness. Zip lock bags are great for brining chicken. Just put the salt / sugar mix and chicken in the bags and leave in fridge for 60 to 90 minutes and your chicken will never come out dry or chewy. Give it a try!

Learning how to brine chicken or other meats will quickly increase your ability to prepare flavorful dishes in the kitchen.

How To Brine Chicken

The salt and sugar in brine makes changes to the protein which improves its texture and enhances its ability to retain moisture. That translates into better tasting chicken come dinnertime!

How Brining Works

When chicken or other meat is put into a brine solution, a two-way transfer begins. Juices from the proteins are pulled out into the brine, while the brine (along with any added sugar and flavorings) is pulled in. The end goal is to equalize the level of salt between brine and flesh.
As that's happening, other changes occur. The salt changes the character of the proteins in the meat, breaking them down and loosening their grip on each other. In a way, it causes them to somewhat gel, and makes it harder for moisture to escape when the chicken is cooked. Sugars that are absorbed into the flesh hold on to water, which helps keep the meat even more moist when cooked.

How to Brine Chicken

First, let's start with a basic poultry brine recipe:

1 gallon cold water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
Added flavorings
Spices, herbs and other flavors (chopped onion, garlic, celery, etc.) are all fair game. Use your favorites, use your judgement, and don't overdo it. Find a good recipe for more guidance.
Bring 1/2 gallon of the water, the salt and sugar to boil, stirring until both are completely dissolved. Remove from heat, add flavorings, cover and allow to cool completely. Add the remaining 1/2 gallon of water. Refrigerate to below 40 degrees Fahrenheit before adding chicken.
You can cut the recipe in half, or double it as needed, depending on how much chicken you'll be brining. Make enough so the chicken is completely covered in the brining container. If you brine in sealable plastic bag, you'll need less brine than if brining in a bowl.
To keep the chicken submerged, place a heavy plate, or a flat-bottomed bowl filled with some water over the chicken in the brine container.

Keep the brine and chicken COLD during brining, between 36-40 degrees Fahrenheit. If there's room, place the brining chicken in the fridge. If not, brine in an insulated cooler, and place a sealed bag of ice in the brine with the chicken. Don't put loose ice in the brine...when it melts, the brine will be diluted and it won't do its job.

How Long to Brine Chicken

Use the following brining time chart for chicken as a guide. Adjust within the brining times to achieve more or less salty flavor.

Whole Chicken 4 to 8 hours
Half Chicken 3 to 6 hours
Bone-in Skin-on Breasts 1 to 2 hours
Boneless Skinless Breasts 30 to 60 minutes
Legs, Thighs, Skin-on 45 to 90 minutes
Legs, Thighs, Skinless 30 to 45 minutes

Always brine in a non-reactive container. Glass, porcelain, crockery, plastic and stainless steel are all OK. Aluminum, copper and wood are not.

After brining, rinse the chicken well in cold, running water. Pat dry with a clean towel.

Now that the chicken is brined, it's ready to be seasoned with your favorite dry rub and smoked or grilled. Brined chicken usually takes less time to cook, which is another benefit of brining.

If you haven't brined chicken (or pork) before, you'll definitely notice an improvement in both flavor and texture.

Roasted Corn in a Salad
Disclaimer
VBMcGB said:   Alas, but I don't have a real grill (I use this), so I don't know how this would taste when properly grilled over actual fire. But, here goes….

Grab a chicken breast. Marinade it in hot sauce and soy sauce. Cook it until nearly done. Cut about 3-5 slits halfway into the chicken breast. Stuff the slits with garlic. Dribble more of the hot sauce/soy sauce concoction over the top (which will flow into the now-wedged-open slits). Add salt, pepper, and Montreal Steak Seasoning mix. Finish cooking it. I usually have it with mashed potatoes and corn.

Sounds really delicious. I love garlic! Mashed and corn are my two favorites also. Instead of nuking your caned or frozen corn try cooking it in a fry pan in a little olive oil, with minced onion and green pepper, sea salt, black pepper and the smallest touch of Cayenne pepper. For variety try adding some cooked and crumbled bacon. Try to get just a hint of browning on the corn. IMHO to die for!

Also consider my brining recipe for your chicken first. Put your marinade in the zip lock bags with the salt / sugar mixture. You can even add some garlic powder to the mix and avoid losing some chicken juices coming out when you make those slits in the chicken or put garlic slices under the chicken skin to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks I think I will have some garlic chicken and roasted corn tomorrow!

Enjoy your holiday and thanks for sharing!!!!

Corganiacs said:   MisterGadget said:   Corganiacs said:   no one mentioned roasted corn on the grill? Oh holy yum. Dress it up with some spices and you are set! corn is in season (??) and even if it is not, it is already easily sweet!!!

Peace.
lol for this, i do not have a personal recipe to share. I had it once at my friends' house a few years ago when I lived with them for a month and it was yummy. I always was the type to boil my corn so.

Hope you find some newer friends that like to grill so you can enjoy this delight again! In the meantime here is a recipe for corn in foil on the grill. I can put up "in the cob husk recipe" but the extra effort most will not go for.

Corn Grilled In Aluminum Foil:

Pull all the husks off of the corn and discard. Remove silk on the corn and discard.

There are two (2) "schools of thought" on soaking the corn. Some people like to soak their corn before grilling and others do not soak it. This will be your choice.

If you decide to soak, place the whole cobs in a pot of cold water for approximately 20 minutes. Be sure the ears are completely covered with water. This will provide extra moisture for cooking and will steam the corn kernels inside the aluminum foil.

If you do not soak the corn, just wrap in aluminum foil according to instruction below.

Preheat the grill to a medium temperature (350 degrees F).

If you have soaked your corn, remove the corn from the water and shake off any excess water.

Tear off squares of aluminum foil and place ears of corn diagonally in the center of each square of aluminum foil.

Brush the kernels with olive oil. NOTE: I’ve tried using butter instead of olive oil, but I think butter is best applied after the corn comes off the grill just before you eat it. Before you wrap the corn in the aluminum foil, add a little garlic, chopped onion, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. For an international twist, try using herbs such as basil, cilantro, or oregano.

Roll the aluminum foil around each ear of corn and close it up by twisting the ends.

Place the prepared ears of corn on a medium heat grill, rotating the corn every so often.

Allow the corn to slowly continue cooking for another 15 to 20 minutes. You will know it is done when you press a kernel and it shoots out it’s sweet liquid. Don’t overcook the corn or it will become mushy. You know when you’ve gone too far if the corn cob flexes easily in your hands.

Remove the corn from the grill. Be careful and wear oven mitts as the corn will be very hot!

Once the corn is cooked, remove the aluminum foil.

Serve with butter and enjoy!

MisterGadget said:   VBMcGB said:   Alas, but I don't have a real grill (I use this), so I don't know how this would taste when properly grilled over actual fire. But, here goes….

Sounds really delicious. I love garlic! Mashed and corn are my two favorites also. Instead of nuking your caned or frozen corn try cooking it in a fry pan in a little olive oil, with minced onion and green pepper, sea salt, black pepper and the smallest touch of Cayenne pepper. For variety try adding some cooked and crumbled bacon. Try to get just a hint of browning on the corn. IMHO to die for!

Also consider my brining recipe for your chicken first. Put your marinade in the zip lock bags with the salt / sugar mixture. You can even add some garlic powder to the mix and avoid losing some chicken juices coming out when you make those slits in the chicken or put garlic slices under the chicken skin to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks I think I will have some garlic chicken and roasted corn tomorrow!

Enjoy your holiday and thanks for sharing!!!!

Definitely trying your roasty-toasty corn and brining recipe for the chicken. This thread is making me want to go home and cook.

MisterGadget said:   My favorite...with a vinegar based BBQ sauce.

Then you'd love Gates & Sons KC BBQ sauce.

Hey guys and gals! This thread is really about sharing your recipes more then it is about mine. The only way people will find this forum thread is if you give the original post some thumbs up green. I see we all are voting on our favorite recipes and giving them green. I like what I am seeing and getting hungry just reading here.

If so inclined please go back and GIVE GREEN TO THE ORIGINAL POST (It's not about me it's about sharing).

Thanks and hope your holiday is going well. First good heat wave here in Maryland with 90 degree today and 90's projected for next three days. Oh yeah and the messy Mid-Atlantic humidity.

Peace.

Gates BBQ Sauce
Disclaimer
formattc said:   MisterGadget said:   My favorite...with a vinegar based BBQ sauce.

Then you'd love Gates & Sons KC BBQ sauce.

I love vinegar based BBQ sauces. Not familiar with this one. How about what part of the country you are in and if you have a link to the product?

Thank you very much for all your input!

MisterGadget said:    I love vinegar based BBQ sauces. Not familiar with this one. How about what part of the country you are in and if you have a link to the product?

I live in KC.
Gates sauce is only available in stores around here, AFAIK. There are several places you can buy it online but the price varies a lot. I've seen a couple of places where the price is pretty close to the store price.

Link

Roasted Corn Salad
Disclaimer
Quote from,VBMcGB, who said "Definitely trying your roasty-toasty corn and brining recipe for the chicken. This thread is making me want to go home and cook."

I hope you will really like it! I would saute onions and green pepper first to soften and get translucent in the olive oil. Remove veggies and add corn to pan with a little more olive oil. Cook over medium high for 5 minutes. Add seasonings and if you are using crumbled bacon add a little bacon drippings for flavor. If corn is not picking up some brown color turn heat up a little more and brown slightly. Now add back in the veggies and bacon (if using) and stir well. At the last minute if you have it add some fresh chopped parsley or cilantro for color and flavor.

Lastly if you really like this, an excellent variation is to follow the same recipe but in the end stir in 1 tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar (you must own this and sea salt for your cooking to be complete).

Please don't try this out on guests first as I would feel so bad if you do not like it.

Well enough back and forth banter for now. You take care!

PS: if you are going to go home and cook, think you could UPS me a CARE package of BBQ? Just kidding.

Gates BBQ Sauce
Disclaimer
formattc said:   MisterGadget said:    I love vinegar based BBQ sauces. Not familiar with this one. How about what part of the country you are in and if you have a link to the product?

I live in KC.
Gates sauce is only available in stores around here, AFAIK. There are several places you can buy it online but the price varies a lot. I've seen a couple of places where the price is pretty close to the store price.

Link

Thank you so much for the info and link. I loved the link to that retailer selling BBQ sauces and much more. I think everyone should check it out.

So you are spoiled living in KC with the abundance of BBQ. I love it all WAYS but really have a preference for wet versus dry rub but I won't turn down either. Take a good pork butt and soak it in salt, sugar and vinegar brine and put on a smoker with wood chips, shred it and give me some onions and vinegar based sauce and I am close to God!

Peace!

MisterGadget said:   [Thank you so much for the info and link.

No problem, and their sauce and rub are best used together.

summer_lemonade
Disclaimer

hotdog_burger
Disclaimer
Please join right in! If you do not have a recipe tell us what you ate that was good this holiday ... maybe somebody will put it up as a recipe for you.

Give us a Bump.

McCorick Grill mates
Disclaimer
VBMcGB said:   Alas, but I don't have a real grill (I use this), so I don't know how this would taste when properly grilled over actual fire. But, here goes….

Any grill is a good grill, even having an indoor one! I'm sure you get great use out of it. Your steak seasoning is good too. I have it in my kitchen and even better I live 8 minutes from McCormick Spice in Hunt Valley, Maryland. Depending what they are making that night the late night smell in the air drifts down to my house and smells so good. If you are out on your deck you can't help but go in and get a late night snack. Cruel and unusual punishment for sure.

Grill on my friend!

Thank you OP for starting this thread. Green!

Montreal Steak Seasoning mix.
And a good rib eye? I'm looking for a couch to melt on.

nanosoft said:   Montreal Steak Seasoning mix.
And a good rib eye? I'm looking for a couch to melt on.

MMMMMMMMMMM mmmmmmmmmmmm a nice Grilled Couch Sandwich! Yum.

My quick and super easy summer recipes -

Five-Cup Fruit Salad
1 can (8-1/4 oz.) Pineapple Chunks, undrained (Tidbits size work better)
1 can (11 oz.) Mandarin Orange Segments, drained
1 container (8 oz.) Sour Cream or vanilla yogurt
1 cup Flaked Coconut
1 cup Miniature Marshmallows

DRAIN pineapple, reserving 1 Tbsp. of the juice.
MIX pineapple, reserved juice and remaining ingredients; toss lightly. Cover.
REFRIGERATE several hours or until chilled.

Black Bean & Corn Salad
1/2 cup Ranch Dressing
1 can (19 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11 oz.) whole kernel corn or mexicorn, drained
1 cup quartered grape or cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Hot pepper sauce (optional)

1.Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Garnish, if desired, with lime wedges.
(I add a small can of sliced black olives and use only a 1/4 cup of ranch dressing; in a pinch I use a can of petite-cut tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes)

America's Test Kitchen Pork Rib Rub
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon paprika
1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1-3/4 teaspoons cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, packed
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix ingredients thoroughly. Makes enough rub for two slabs of loin back ribs.

Super easy summer salad

2 cans black beans rinsed off
4 raw corn on the cob. (you can use canned stuff, just make sure you rinse it off)
one red bell pepper
3 green onions chopped
2 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce
2 Tablespoons of your favorite oil, I usually use canola
2 tablespoons of your favorite vinegar, I usually use rice vinegar but you can use anything.

Whisk the bottom 3 ingredients together in a large bowl. Toss in the rest of the ingredients. throw in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight...

amazing easy, cheap, and healthy summer salad!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017