Where can I find Long Term Travel Insurance for Pre-existing condition?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
I have done a lot of research online and still am striking out. My mom is a US Citizen and just switched to Medicare.
Her husband is a Canadian citizen.

She normally spends 3-5 months in Canada at a time. However her Medicare supplemental plan will only cover her outside
the country for the first 60 days.

Any ideas of a plan that would provide coverage for pre-existing conditions for a longer duration?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Cheaper to fly home every 60 days.

At age 74 traveling isn't easy for her.

Become a canadian citizen. Shouldn't be too hard.

Even if you find such an insurance, you're not going to be able to turn it on and off once a year. Are you prepared to pick an insurer and pay all year round?

She has US medicare and a supplemental plan but no coverage after 60 days in Canada. To be honest, money isn't the issue for her (I know this is against every fatwallet bone in my body).

Requirements to become a Canadian citizen are "To become Canadian citizens, adults must have resided in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying.".

She wants to remain a US Citizen and only spends 4-5 months in Canada. For this reason we are looking for a travel related insurance product that covers medical treatment/emergency for that duration....

Getting Canadian PR shouldn't be difficult because she is married to a Canadian.

I really wouldn't worry about the supplement portion since she can just return to US for any major issue.

What is Canadian "PR"?

My Dad is 84 and useless. Can you provide any names or search avenues for this product?

Not sure what to google in Canada...

Sorry, PR - Permanent Resident, like "green card" for USA. Like US, you need PR status before applying for citizenship but she can just hold on to the PR status without applying for citizenship.

Just have to check whether a canadian PR gets access to healthcare.

Like soundtechie said, you need to find a supplemental medicare plan that covers long trips outside the US. You're probably going to pay more.

All of the supplemental medicare plans only cover up to 60 days. Therefore I need a third party medical emergency/treatment long term travel insurance.

My considers with becoming a PR is:

Would it possibly jeopardize her Medicare and supplemental plans in the US?

atwnsw said:   ..
Would it possibly jeopardize her Medicare and supplemental plans in the US?
I don't see how. I know quite a few people with multiple nationality and are covered by multiple state sponsored health care plan. However, it's worth a trip to a Canadian immigration lawyer to make sure.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017