• filter:

What are you currently reading, part deux

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Just read the Dexter series

rated:
love Dexter, both the show and the books (haven't seen any since season three though)

rated:
still reading OT, thanks for asking

rated:
Rolling Stone, Esquire, and Road & Track. ~10mins at a time normally.

rated:
Thinking of rereading the Dresden Files series unless something else catches my eye...possibly American Gods

rated:
Or I could reread the Discworld series

rated:
Reading Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell on my Kindle, borrowed from Amazon Lending library. Basis for the movie The Thing.

rated:
Every Breath You Take by Ann Rule.

rated:
Standing In Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin

rated:
Just finished The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer. May take a few days to recover.

rated:
http://monologues.co.uk/Tall_Stories/Baked_Potato_Story.htm

The Baked-Potato Man's Story... Walter Stanford

rated:
I finally finished Tales of the City. It's taken forever. I haven't had much reading time lately and I just couldn't seem to get into it. I'm still not sure what I think of it.

rated:
Six Years by Harlan Coben

rated:
trying to catch up on my journals. and my plethora of magazines
honestly i only paid for garden &gun and rachael ray this year. everything else i am receiving is free

rated:
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

Delightful!

rated:
Drunk Tank Pink and other unexpected forces that shape how we think, feel, and behave - Adam Alter

Plays With Cars - Doug DeMuro (this is the first book I've purchased for the Kindle I got for Christmas - he blogs at The Truth About Cars and Jalopnik, and is a really funny writer. Plus, he owns a pillow shaped like a Porche 911. I commented that he should post a review of it, and he did - "visibility is poor, because the windows are made of pillow. Acceleration is also poor, because the tires are also made of pillow")

rated:
SecondGunman said:   I finally finished Tales of the City. It's taken forever. I haven't had much reading time lately and I just couldn't seem to get into it. I'm still not sure what I think of it. just the first book or the entire series? It is very dated, but I love it because so many locations and people are well-known.

rated:
kirbydog said:   SecondGunman said:   I finally finished Tales of the City. It's taken forever. I haven't had much reading time lately and I just couldn't seem to get into it. I'm still not sure what I think of it. just the first book or the entire series? It is very dated, but I love it because so many locations and people are well-known.

Just the first book. I'll be honest, I think the only reason I stuck with it to the end is because of the setting. I recognized a bunch of the places in the book and kinda enjoyed it for that reason. Other than that, it didn't do much for me.

In the week after finishing that one, I read the Hunger Games trilogy. I went into the first one expecting to dislike it, but ended up really enjoying it and finished the entire series in five days. I'm not sure what to read next.

rated:
Read the first three chapters of John Sandford's Storm Front at his website. It's the next Virgil Flowers book, to be released October 8th.

rated:
A Patchwork Planet by Anne tyler

rated:
SecondGunman said:   kirbydog said:   SecondGunman said:   I finally finished Tales of the City. It's taken forever. I haven't had much reading time lately and I just couldn't seem to get into it. I'm still not sure what I think of it. just the first book or the entire series? It is very dated, but I love it because so many locations and people are well-known.

Just the first book. I'll be honest, I think the only reason I stuck with it to the end is because of the setting. I recognized a bunch of the places in the book and kinda enjoyed it for that reason. Other than that, it didn't do much for me.

In the week after finishing that one, I read the Hunger Games trilogy. I went into the first one expecting to dislike it, but ended up really enjoying it and finished the entire series in five days. I'm not sure what to read next.
I tried to read "The Girl Who..." trilogy after The Hunger Games but I couldn't get engaged in the book and set it aside. Wow I was very disappointed in The Hunger Games film after reading the books. It wasn't even as good as a Cliff Notes version might have been imo.

I just started Hidden Order by Brad Thor. There was a teaser ebook freebie on Kindle that didn't really do much to add to the book so far (but I have read everything he has written so far). Next up for me is The King's Deception by Steve Berry.

rated:
kirbydog said:   SecondGunman said:   kirbydog said:   SecondGunman said:   I finally finished Tales of the City. It's taken forever. I haven't had much reading time lately and I just couldn't seem to get into it. I'm still not sure what I think of it. just the first book or the entire series? It is very dated, but I love it because so many locations and people are well-known.

I tried to read "The Girl Who..." trilogy after The Hunger Games but I couldn't get engaged in the book and set it aside. Wow I was very disappointed in The Hunger Games film after reading the books. It wasn't even as good as a Cliff Notes version might have been imo.

I just started Hidden Order by Brad Thor. There was a teaser ebook freebie on Kindle that didn't really do much to add to the book so far (but I have read everything he has written so far). Next up for me is The King's Deception by Steve Berry.

I absolutely loved the "Girl Who" trilogy as you called it. It took me a bit to get into the first book. I seem to remember reading the first chapter one night and not liking it much. I read the second chapter the next night and it didn't stick either. The third night, though, I picked it up and it finally grabbed my attention. I ended up reading the rest of the book that night. I was up until like three in the morning.

Have you tried "Wool" by Hugh Howey? That's an excellent series that I highly recommend.

As for the film version of Hunger Games, I haven't watched it yet but I'm going into it with really low expectations. I've seen the trailer and I know who was cast into the various roles and I'm just not thrilled with the casting. The folks they picked are nowhere near what I pictured when I read the books.

I grabbed a copy of "Fight Club" and I'm reading through that right now. I've read several of his other books, but have somehow managed to miss that one. So far, it's alright.

rated:
Thanks, I'll take a look at Wool.
James Rollins novels are engaging, although some are freaky (Amazonia comes to mind).

rated:
Longavina Street: Life and death in a Sarajevo Neighborhood - Barbara Demick

(I read her book on North Korea, Nothing To Envy, a while back and was very impressed, so I figured i'd give this a shot)

rated:
Fitness mags, encourages me to exercise

rated:
SecondGunman said:   kirbydog said:   SecondGunman said:   I finally finished Tales of the City. It's taken forever. I haven't had much reading time lately and I just couldn't seem to get into it. I'm still not sure what I think of it. just the first book or the entire series? It is very dated, but I love it because so many locations and people are well-known.

Try her Gregor the Overlander series.

rated:
webferret said:   SecondGunman said:   kirbydog said:   SecondGunman said:   I finally finished Tales of the City. It's taken forever. I haven't had much reading time lately and I just couldn't seem to get into it. I'm still not sure what I think of it. just the first book or the entire series? It is very dated, but I love it because so many locations and people are well-known.

Try her Gregor the Overlander series.

I'll put those on my list

rated:
True Believer: Inside the Investigation and Capture of Ana Montes, Cuba's Master Spy - Scott Carmichael

rated:
Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)
interesting

rated:
woo hoo there's a new sookie stackhouse (yeah, I guess this has been out a few months but I didn't know)
I understand it's the last one and I am glad to hear it since I'm not crazy about the series yet feel compelled to read each new one
I hear some people are not pleased with how it ended but that actually gives me hope
either way, it will be done and I won't have to torture myself any more
okay okay, if it's not Bill, I will have tortured myself reading about ten books that I didn't enjoy)

rated:
Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History- Ben Mezrich

I have a kind of love/hate relationship with Ben Mezrich books.  They are usually about interesting subjects, and they are a fast/easy read.  But he uses a lot of composite characters and the like, so it's hard to tell what is real and what isn't.   And I could do without the "love scenes" - if I want to be titalated, non-fiction books aren't my usual go-to. 

rated:
Monopoly: The World's Most Famous Game--And How It Got That Way

rated:
The Incense Game, Laura Joh Rowland. Her latest novel in a mystery series set in 16th century Japan.  

rated:
The Girl Next Door by Brad Parks
a mystery about a journalist investigating a hit and run, and, of course, some sex

rated:
didn't finish Girl Next Door, probably will someday but it was just too corny

am reading Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.
Very good so far, prob 2/3 through it.

rated:
A work collegue of mine recommended The Black Swan:  The Impact of the Highly Improbable, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

It's pretty good so far.  I looked him up on youtube and his lectures are pretty entertaining.  Definitely got me thinking about my own personal investment theories.

rated:
Salinger - interesting bio

rated:
NukeMedDude said:   A work collegue of mine recommended The Black Swan:  The Impact of the Highly Improbable, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

It's pretty good so far.  I looked him up on youtube and his lectures are pretty entertaining.  Definitely got me thinking about my own personal investment theories.

I read that a while ago.  It's interesting, but he's got an annoying habit of repetedly reminding the reader that he's way smarter and richer than they are. 

rated:
Just listened to The Princess Bride (the good parts version) & Coraline on the drive to drop off the kid for the weekend

Skipping 355 Messages...
rated:
I'm currently reading 2017 book #62: The Wizard of Lies by Diana Henriques. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017