• Text Only
rated:
post your work whines here.

I have a new supervisor, he works like a madman, but when five o clock rolls around, it's drinkin' time. He has called me in to work on an emergency issue late at night because he was "too drunk to drive, much less handle high voltage electicity".

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
I am an electician.

Is it really that hard to see my outlook calendar, which is shared, before scheduling a meeting?
Jeez..

Don Pardo won't respond to my outlook meeting invites...

My office mate is lying in the sun on a window sill snoring.

^^I envy you both.

2nd shift coworker just came in, just rolled out of bed, in slippers and has the sleep voice, just a rumble
he keeps talking non stop except when he is singing
STFU!!
also he is stumbling around getting out his pills because of course this is his "morning" work ritual-because it would cut into his sleep to take his meds at home
and you know how many times he drops his meds on the floor or thinks he left them at home and goes through this paniced dislodged of his stuff looking for them?
and now, he is eating with his med taking so it is slurp slurp slurp smack smack smack and gurgle gurgle snort (he has something majorly wrong with his sinuses or something)
I was very very VERY bad in a former life

sublimosa said:   ^^I envy you both.

Well don't.  When she wakes up she'll resume gently biting my toes until I rub her hairy belly.

eta: don't know why I married her

well, all but the biting your toes bit
but you know, majordarkside might be in for that!
btw, ever see the SNL skit with the guy married to the cougar? Christopher Wa---tshisname?

Coworker in another office location hired a buddy she knows from sports participation to work half time, ramping up to full time later this year. Apparently there was a FB posting and an argument over it (not at work and not work-related) that is causing drama in their office of 3 people.Now the hiring person is saying she can't work with the person she hired (who reports to her as well!). Yikes. I'm glad to be here not there.

<- using lotus notes...

SilverII said:   <- using lotus notes...
  I'm using Foxpro. And classic ASP.
You know how old those things are? Old old.

DOS 4.1 on my systems.

I took a training today.... took 4 hours and i learned 1 new thing only.

Sometimes, talking to HR, I feel like this is the first time they've ever hired someone. 

ugh.... it had been such a nice week last week with the annoying coworker out on vacation. she's back now and i have to hear her annoying fake laugh and calling her clients "my beautiful" and telling everyone, loudly, how wonderful she is and how much better she thinks she is. /barfs, hopefully on her!/

AbbyN said:   ugh.... it had been such a nice week last week with the annoying coworker out on vacation. she's back now and i have to hear her annoying fake laugh and calling her clients "my beautiful" and telling everyone, loudly, how wonderful she is and how much better she thinks she is. /barfs, hopefully on her!/
 I think I've been a customer of hers.

Edit to add: why do so many women have annoying, unpleasant laughs? I rarely hear men with irritating laughs, but lots of women do it: drunk ladies with ear piercing screechy laughs; desperate attention seekers with very loud "look at me, dammit" laughs; nervous giggles spread liberally through every conversation.

moonbeam said:   
AbbyN said:   ugh.... it had been such a nice week last week with the annoying coworker out on vacation. she's back now and i have to hear her annoying fake laugh and calling her clients "my beautiful" and telling everyone, loudly, how wonderful she is and how much better she thinks she is. /barfs, hopefully on her!/
  I think I've been a customer of hers.

she belongs in an old peoples home, doing hair. they are the only ones who can put up with her because they probably can't hear her!

moonbeam said:   Edit to add: why do so many women have annoying, unpleasant laughs? I rarely hear men with irritating laughs, but lots of women do it: drunk ladies with ear piercing screechy laughs; desperate attention seekers with very loud "look at me, dammit" laughs; nervous giggles spread liberally through every conversation.

I have a male coworker with a super annoying laugh.  It sort of sounds like he's choking on helium. 

i did some work today

i worked from home today

KayK said:   i watched tv at home today
  fixed

I had a coworker who clipped his nails (presumably his fingernails but he was nasty enough that it could have been toes) in his office. The sound is unmistakable. He also used to wear Vibram Five Fingers to work (and he wasn't a runner or an exerciser). 

kirbydog said:   I had a coworker who clipped his nails (presumably his fingernails but he was nasty enough that it could have been toes) in his office. The sound is unmistakable. He also used to wear Vibram Five Fingers to work (and he wasn't a runner or an exerciser). 
  Like this?

Friday treat
Disclaimer
$5 at Safeway tomorrow. 

Have a face to face interview with a candidate today.

Thinking about giving a basic 10-15 question vb.NET multiple choice test.. to assess technical skills.

ask them if they are an animal, what is the first thing they would do as that animal

moonbeam said:   

Edit to add: why do so many women have annoying, unpleasant laughs? I rarely hear men with irritating laughs, but lots of women do it: drunk ladies with ear piercing screechy laughs; desperate attention seekers with very loud "look at me, dammit" laughs; nervous giggles spread liberally through every conversation.

/hangs head in shame/ I do a nervous giggle

The senior programmer in the group that I work in thought it was "cute" I was giving a multiple choice test to the candidate. He said it in front of her.

Hopefully he doesn't say it in front of the second candidate this afternoon.

In other news, I really hope this multiple choice test thing works to weed out actual candidates from those who basically lie on their resume.

I really want this chick that's taking her exam to know her stuff.. she was the #1 potential candidate.

ETA: She got 13 out of 26 right.
I thought the test was easy
Lets see how many the second candidate this afternoon gets right.

KayK said:   The senior programmer in the group that I work in thought it was "cute" I was giving a multiple choice test to the candidate. He said it in front of her.

Hopefully he doesn't say it in front of the second candidate this afternoon.

In other news, I really hope this multiple choice test thing works to weed out actual candidates from those who basically lie on their resume.

I really want this chick that's taking her exam to know her stuff.. she was the #1 potential candidate.

ETA: She got 13 out of 26 right.
I thought the test was easy
Lets see how many the second candidate this afternoon gets right.

As part of the interview for mid-level technical staff we developed a writing exercise that applicants must complete without advance preparation (but with notice sent to them that we would ask them to do this exercise following their interview). This came about because 2 people hired previously had such poor writing skills and it is a huge part of their job to be able to analyze, summarize and write clearly. It has been a helpful exercise for us when making final selections.

kirbydog said:   $5 at Safeway tomorrow. 
  I've had that cake,  it's really good.  I might just stop by Safeway on my way home from work and pick one up.  Can't go wrong for $5.

It's an amazing cake for $5 and simple - not too sweet or too rich.

not productive at all today...

Got up at 6:25 instead of 5:15.
Was at work 7:05 instead of 7:00.

No comment.

I hate start of school.    Departments just realizing that they should have asked for computers for the faculty they hired, departments moving all over campus, and students arriving back.

Plus I was just told to hold off on a project because someone raised technical concerns about it and the timeline.  Why they couldn't have raised those concerns 3 months ago when I proposed the schedule, I don't know. 

Oh, and I need to come in early because they've been redoing water pipes on the street our building is on, and evidently hit a gas line in the process, and now they need to install a new gas line into our building tomorrow and I need to let the contractor in.  And hope the building doesn't blow up. 

I have a mountain of documents to review before my meeting this afternoon. Unfortunately tl;dr is not an option.

The electrical problems in our office have continued. There is a panel that had something inside that was arcing, which scared the heck out of me yesterday. Our office (which occupies most of the building) will be closed on Friday and Monday so I am hoping the owner will make the repairs while we are gone so that we can work without interruptions going forward. Yesterday the electricity went out in parts of the office 4 times during our work day. 

A new stylist is starting tues, yay! Now if we could just get one more part timer then we could convince the owner of telling the very tacky annoying styist to go. Unfortunately the owner really needs the annoying woman's rent money, otherwise she would had her gone months and months ago!

iPhone5 battery issue is most likely the cause of my non-tech-savvy boss's "my phone won't hold a charge" issue so I thoughtfully sent her the link to the steps for repair she needs to do with copy to our IT support person. She replied to ask if this is something our IT person can fix. umm...
Update: boss's Apple ID wouldn't work and she refuses to change the password "because I like it" so she called the Apple Store to make an appt. for service and was told she had to make an appt online. She has now walked over to the store (it is 1/3 mile from our office) to get them to help her. I have a bad feeling about this.
Second update: she returned from the store, where there were no available appointments so she made one with them but the next available appt is Wed. Unhappy camper. 

Skipping 449 Messages...
ZenNUTS said:   1/2 empty office on a summer friday... I'm so motivated...
  I love it this way (half the staff is gone today). I can try to catch up on my own work and not be interrupted every second by a coworker. I can also leave early since I worked so many hours earlier in the week (even though I'm on salary so it's not like I have to count each minute I am here). Win-win.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017