• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
There was a thread last year i think started by mapatsfan.. so thought of starting one this year since I worked outside all weekend long.

The house builders put some lawn seeds during end of house construction.. which was September/October last year.. so it grew all patchy late last year. Got some seeds and used a metal rake to till entire yard to plant seeds. Spread some lawn fertilizer that my mom bought around to hopefully speed up the growing process. Wife and mom planted some roses next to deck and some wild flowers at the end of property.. while wife and I planted a weeping willow, a black tupelo and a red maple tree on the side.

Now just have to make time to water the lawn and the seeds at least twice a day for the first 7-10 days.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Hoping this wacky winter didn't wreak havoc with my peony.

Forgot to order dahlia tubers to plant, need to do that soon. Any advice on good source?
Will plant cucumbers and tomatoes again this year, think I might try the tomatoes early on the porch since my first two years they seem to need another couple of weeks for them to ripen.

rated:
I want to plant corn but I fear I'll just be feeding the deer if I do. A buck ate my Watermelon plants down to nothing last year, I caught him red hoofed. I did successfully grow corn out of reach of the deer, but I want to grow a lot more.

rated:
sublimosa said:   Hoping this wacky winter didn't wreak havoc with my peony.

Forgot to order dahlia tubers to plant, need to do that soon. Any advice on good source?
Will plant cucumbers and tomatoes again this year, think I might try the tomatoes early on the porch since my first two years they seem to need another couple of weeks for them to ripen.

Dahlias from White Flower Farm 
They are not cheap but the plants from there are pretty phenomenal in quality.

rated:
I'm thinking about getting an aerogarden but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to eat all that it produces. Apparently you take a little off the plant and it grows back quickly.

The aerogarden tall for cherry tomatoes or strawberries is tempting though. I've spent 2 or 3 bills on stuff before, but I'm hard-wired to not waste food. Decisions, decisions.

rated:
I can still see the damn blue seeds.

Bought two sprinklers from home depot for $8.. work pretty well for the price. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Pulsator-Sprinkler-with-Zinc-2-Way-Spikes-2-Pack-308-593/202051545
Also bought a oscillating sprinkler for the sides.. since a regular sprinkler wont really work there. http://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/sprinklers/oscillating-sprinkler-95505.html

This gardening is hard stuff.. especially when you're trying to grow new lawn and it has not rained in the past ~10 days.. so you're watering like twice a day.
Rain is in forecast later today and tomorrow.. so

rated:
A lot of damage done last years since I worked so much and the darn deer. I think it was those big rat that brought fleas into the years too. The neighbor put up chicken runs that seems to block the deer so everything seems good for now.

The white peach tree should do ok, last year it got so much fruits that 2 branch broke off while I'm gone for the week. This year I'll use some supports for it. The tree almost died when I got it on clearance from Lowes and survives peach curls.

Tried my hand at fruit tree grafting this year but I did it wrong. Should have taken the scion during winter.. oh well, live and learn.

rated:
Darn deers are back. The small pear tree is near death and all my snow pea are picked clean.

rated:
Raspberry are starting to ripe. Picked about a dozen last evening.

rated:
I'm growing tobacco

rated:
Late start this year, no veggies. Today I bought basil, lavender, Gerbera daisies, dahlias, canna lilies, raspberry moonshine caladium and some ground cover. No hanging baskets because of low selection and the couple I liked were way too expensive.
If I can find the kind of cucumbers I want, I might still plant them. No maters.

rated:
I cut the lawn Thursday after work. Work gets in the way of obsessing over the lawn this summer, as does the water ban. As long as there's some green things growing, I'm cool with it.

rated:
it was supposed to rain damnit.. i dont want to water the lawn.

rated:
kirbydog said:   
sublimosa said:   Hoping this wacky winter didn't wreak havoc with my peony.

Dahlias from White Flower Farm 
They are not cheap but the plants from there are pretty phenomenal in quality.

My $1.69 dahlia from Aldi's. 

rated:
Anyone concerned about heavy metals in synthetic fertilizers used for soil-based gardening?  Even "organic" fertilizer does not mean there is safe levels of heavy metals because the manure or compost components can be from animals or vegetation that is fed with heavy metal rich foods or fertilizer.   

From what I have read, some synthetic fertilizers that are made specifically to be dissolved 100% in water for use as hydroponic fertilizer solution are processed and purified to REMOVE heavy metals and contaminants. They even state on their product they have no heavy metal in their fertilizer product.  

I've also read separately that vegetables (ex. tomatoes, peppers) are richer in nutrients with hydroponics and also tests showed no heavy metal content, unlike some soil-grown vegetables using "organic" or synthetic fertilizer.

Anyone have some info about this topic?  
I believe I have found some hydroponic fertilizers in solid granular form made to be 100% dissolved in water which have very low (below EPA levels) heavy metal parts per billion (PPB) or even no heavy metals.
I have definitely found some fertilizers commonly used in soil-based gardens which are alarmingly high in heavy metals.  Some of them so high that the state of Minnesota banned them for sale in their state. 

Hope there are some gardeners who can some information to promote better healthier garden foods.

rated:

Raspberry (210.40kB)
Disclaimer
It's mid summer, most of my greens are barely cling to life and raspberry season is almost over.   The fruit trees seems promising.  Here's some pics.  

rated:
Also, a mystery tree that got fruit this year.  It grow in the middle of some rhode bushes.  The neighbor's pear tree stick over my yard and I can usually collect some decent pears in a few weeks.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Also, a mystery tree that got fruit this year.  It grow in the middle of some rhode bushes.  The neighbor's pear tree stick over my yard and I can usually collect some decent pears in a few weeks.
  The mystery tree looks like a walnut tree. 

rated:
freaking mosquitoes! 😡

rated:
moonbeam said:   freaking mosquitoes! 😡

Most biting insects love me. I'm doomed.

rated:
Just got a dump of 25 cubic yards of mulch this morning.. Planing to spread it all by end of Saturday.

rated:
A little late.. we were all done by end of Tuesday, 8/23 with the mulch.

Called yesterday around 1:45 to get 5 cubic yards of screened top soil delivered.. needed it for areas that needed more soil for grass to grow.
It was delivered 55 minutes later. Less than an hour later!!! $29.95 per cubic yard with free delivery.. $160 with tax. So quick!
Time to reseed the grass.. got a Scott's grass seed spreader..
More grass = less weed. Atleast that's my theory.

rated:
5 cubic yards almost used up. Still need more topsoil.
Going to get 5 more delivered tomorrow.. since it'll be rainy today.

rated:
We don't really have a yard this year with the drought. I haven't run the mower since before the 4th, mrs_pats ran it last week on only part of the lawn to knock down a few drought-resistant weeds.

Strangest weather I've seen in a long time here. No real winter, then a cold snap at end of March so the forsythias and the dogwood never bloomed, the drought, and in the middle of a 8 week heat wave. Only benefit is just about zero bugs this spring & summer.

rated:
Got a healthy bunch of cayenne pepper plants.  Green leaves and lots of flowers.  But none of the flowers made it to fruit all summer long. 

Meanwhile, my Thai chili pepper bush is bountiful with the little hot peppers.

rated:
Used the electric dethatcher I bought from Amazon at my mom's yard and discovered just how little grass are there between the moss. Still some bosc pears on the trees but too high for me to reach them even with a extension rod.

rated:
son cut the lawn for me on Thursday, first time it's been done since end of June

rated:
Most of the tobacco plants died. The few left are not thriving.

rated:
sunflower plants are withering.
So are the roses.
Fall is here.

rated:
Mrs_patsfan plants mums in middle of September to have flowers into November, they seem to survive cold snaps for a while.

rated:
The best gardening/lawn idea I've had in years was to plant a bunch of Knock-Out roses in my front yard. That was in the spring of 2015. They're doing quite well, even with our drought. I bought a rain gauge and an inch of water a week seems to be enough for them. These roses are supposed to bloom in several cycles from spring to the beginning of frost. That turned out to be true last year; we'll see about this year. I'm in WNY, by the way.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   Mrs_patsfan plants mums in middle of September to have flowers into November, they seem to survive cold snaps for a while.
  Mums are cold weather plants.  Mine are blooming right now since it cooled down to 65 this whole week. 

rated:
Well, it's time for fall clean up. I bought a electrical dethatcher on one of the hot deal and used it for the first time to get rid of some of the moss. Time will tell if the lawn gets any better. Also planning on taking scions from some of the better fruit trees for trying to graft again. The grafting I tried last year didn't take because I took the scion too late when they are already spurting leaves.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016