• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
It's not until late October, when the weather should be cooler.

Give me ideas.

Thanks.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
it's good when you can plan on when you're getting shanghaied ...

rated:
I was trying to watch a movie set in Shanghai and it wasn't holding my attention. Now I can't even think of the title, it was THAT memorable.

rated:
<---- My bet on when Burgerwars will eat his burger.

rated:
stood on in Tucson
Laid low in Frisco

rated:
IIRC when rs4rings got a Shanghai surprise he just went with it.

rated:
This week I went to the Chinese Consulate in downtown Los Angeles to obtain a visa for my trip. For anyone doing the same, be prepared. First, the website is wrong. There is no same-day rush service for $30 more. I asked for that, since I didn't want to commute again to pick-up my passport with the visa, but they said no such thing. They also don't have a photocopy machine. You need to bring a photocopy of your passport along with your passport. If you don't have a photocopy, they send you down the street to an office supply store to make one. Also, bring a copy of your ticket/travel itinerary. They want to see you're actually going to China. I brought a copy of my confirmation off of Expedia 's website, which was OK. They do let friends or travel agencies bring your passport down for you, and pay the fees, but I did it myself.

I went Monday morning, with my visa application filled out that I printed from their website, and came back Thursday to get my passport and visa. The cost of the visa is $140. They don't accept personal checks or cash, but credit cards are OK. You pay when you pick up your passport. The visas are now good for multiple entries and are valid for 10 years (U.S. citizens). I'm glad I'm done with this.

rated:
Also if you want the 10 year visa, make sure your passport has more than 1 year on it. You must go through the consulate that is for your area, for me that's Houston sadly. So I'm looking at another $50+ for a company to handle it.

Funny enough I'll probably also fly into Shanghai, for a wedding. I'm told I need to take a high speed rail out of the city, stop at a certain stop and catch a bus out into the countryside. Should be February so I have time.

rated:
Thankfully none of this mess required to visit our friendly neighbors up north.
We'll be driving to Canada in September and again in October.. and will be taking passport cards. No full size passport required!

rated:
Fortunately I renewed my passport in January. 9 1/2 years to go on that one.

rated:
The trip starts later this week. I just purchased and configured one month of ExpressVPN to hopefully avoid any blocked site issues there. I doubt FatWallet is blocked, but Facebook is. FatWallet is superior to Facebook, but I do have a small following there that don't know that.

rated:
FW is persona non-grata in China, ever since the Rakutten thing.

rated:
MilleniumBuc;19663184 said:FW is persona non-grata in China, ever since the Rakutten thing.

I'm unsure what Rakutten was about.  I did, though, test the URL here: Click the Test URL tab. 
It didn't come back as blocked.  Anyway, I'll figure it out while there.

rated:
dammit burgerwars, you forget that I know everything about you after that FB slip!
take me with you!
Your greedy ex.

rated:
burgerwars said:   MilleniumBuc;19663184 said:FW is persona non-grata in China, ever since the Rakutten thing.

I'm unsure what Rakutten was about.  I did, though, test the URL here: Click the Test URL tab. 
TLDR:
Fatwallet was sold to EBates in 2011.
Ebates was sold to Rakuten (which also owns Buy.com) in 2014
So Rakuten.. a Japanese company.. owns fatwallet.

More reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FatWallet#Acquisitions

rated:
KayK said:   burgerwars said:   MilleniumBuc;19663184 said:FW is persona non-grata in China, ever since the Rakutten thing.

TLDR:
Fatwallet was sold to EBates in 2011.
Ebates was sold to Rakuten (which also owns Buy.com) in 2014
So Rakuten.. a Japanese company.. owns fatwallet.

More reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FatWallet#Acquisitions

And rakutten and alibaba are not besties.

rated:
Arrived at my hotel.  I got off at the East Nanjing Road metro stop, and the first person I talked to was a hooker who pointed me to my hotel.  Here are some quick pics.  My first Shanghai burger will need to wait until tomorrow.

rated:
burgerwars said:   Arrived at my hotel.  I got off at the East Nanjing Road metro stop, and the first person I talked to was a hooker who pointed me to my hotel.  Here are some quick pics.  My first Shanghai burger will need to wait until tomorrow.

/sees view from hotel room.
//wonders if you're there to hunt replicants

rated:
Here it is. My first Big Mac in Shanghai.  The quality compared to back home.

rated:

rated:
Hmm... McMeal and whole roast duck are just about the same price (how much is that in $ anyways), which one would make a better meal... 
And get away from that glass floor! That is nuts! Like that that glass walk thing over Grand Canyon that I would have never ever gotten on!!!

rated:
I'd go for the duck. That looks delicious

rated:
I want a PHD.. just so I can travel like you do.

rated:
I want to win the lotto, so I can travel like burgerwars and not have to work for it, haha

rated:
KayK said:   I want a PHD.. just so I can travel like you do.
Was it a phd? I assumed he was an international man of mystery.

rated:
I have a friend who buys two or three board games a week, supports a bunch of game kickstarters and so forth, I play games with him because doing so is just as fun as if I were buying all those games, but it costs me nothing. In the same way, reading burgerwar's adventures are almost as fun as going myself, but it costs me nothing.

rated:
KayK said:   I want a PHD.. just so I can travel like you do.
  I want a pho'.

rated:
I don't have a PhD. I do have a BA from a Cal State Univ. campus: Burger of Arts.

Actually I have won the lottery. I think the most I've won playing Super Lotto is $20. Does that count?

Today is a day trip to Hangzhou.

My suggestion: In Shanghai, watch out for the hookers and scam artists along Nanjing Road and The Bund in the late afternoon and evening. I've been approached many times, not exactly sure what they're up to. It's best you ignore them.

rated:
They call it Chinese food over there? Or just food?

rated:
burgerwars said:   watch out for the hookers and scam artists along Nanjing Road and The Bund in the late afternoon and evening. I've been approached many times, not exactly sure what they're up to. It's best you ignore them.
  pics?

rated:
atikovi said:   They call it Chinese food over there? Or just food?
Royale with cheese

rated:
atikovi said:   They call it Chinese food over there? Or just food?

I think it's just food. The Chinese I've had isn't much different than what I've ate near my house.

No pics of the hookers. Not something I would ask of one. Maybe.

rated:
burgerwars said:   atikovi said:   They call it Chinese food over there? Or just food?

I think it's just food. The Chinese I've had isn't much different than what I've ate near my house.

No pics of the hookers. Not something I would ask of one. Maybe.

If you did, then you would have to change your name to hookerwars. Then travel all around the world and take hooker pictures.

rated:
I am back, but a day late. The flight was cancelled for mechanical issues. United put all the passengers up in a hotel and rescheduled the flight for the next day.

One thing I did not like about Shanghai is the constant approaching of people trying to scam you. Massages, bars, hookers, fake iPhones, etc. I also sensed pickpockets. While the city is safe in that you don't feel someone is going to beat you up, you need to keep walking.

rated:
burgerwars said:   I am back, but a day late. The flight was cancelled for mechanical issues. United put all the passengers up in a hotel and rescheduled the flight for the next day.

One thing I did not like about Shanghai is the constant approaching of people trying to scam you. Massages, bars, hookers, fake iPhones, etc. I also sensed pickpockets. While the city is safe in that you don't feel someone is going to beat you up, you need to keep walking.

Hmm?  My United flight returning from Narita to Newark was canceled, too.  In my case, they re-routed me with Narita-San Francisco/San Francisco-Newark, and they didn't even tell me about it.  I only found out because I happened to check the night before.  That schedule really sucks comparing to the original, so I called them up right away to get different flight.  Fortunately for me, they re-routed me to a better flight.  Also I had a good leverage to complain about the seat, and they gave me the window side of the front most seat in economy.  It ended up being the best case scenario, but it could have ended badly for me. 

rated:
enterkey said:   burgerwars said:   I am back, but a day late. The flight was cancelled for mechanical issues. United put all the passengers up in a hotel and rescheduled the flight for the next day.

Hmm?  My United flight returning from Narita to Newark was canceled, too.  In my case, they re-routed me with Narita-San Francisco/San Francisco-Newark, and they didn't even tell me about it.  I only found out because I happened to check the night before.  That schedule really sucks comparing to the original, so I called them up right away to get different flight.  Fortunately for me, they re-routed me to a better flight.  Also I had a good leverage to complain about the seat, and they gave me the window side of the front most seat in economy.  It ended up being the best case scenario, but it could have ended badly for me. 

In my case United didn't cancel the flight until after the posted departure time. Before that they said there was a delay. Maybe they did this so all the passengers were at the gate and in one place. They gave us directions then. It was a hassle to figure out how to go through passport control again, pick back up my luggage, and find the buses. The directions did say we all needed to find Burger King after going through passport control. There's an employee exit there to re-enter baggage claim. Burger King saved the day.

The next day they did fix the plane (a 787). I still had my same assigned seat. It was an aisle. The center seat next to me was empty, which made the trip back more comfortable.

One more thing about Shanghai. Watch out for traffic. In the U.S., pedestrians have the right of way. In Shanghai, pedestrians are the Target. When crossing streets, cars and scooters making turns will blow their horns at you. Red lights mean nothing to those on scooters. If that isn't enough, people are driving their scooters on the sidewalks, also blowing their horns at pedestrians.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016