• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:

Outside Kitty
Disclaimer
Clover's adorable stray cat buddy-through-the-window, "Outside Kitty," runs over to greet me when he sees me outside, rubs against my legs, and begs for head scratches. He's a sweetheart, but I'm sure he has fleas and I don't want to bring bugs into my home. Even though he's extremely affectionate, I'm not sure how easy it would be to apply flea and tick drops to a stray cat. The instructions state that you should part the hair on the cat's neck and rub the medication into the skin, not the hair. I suspect I would be missing a couple fingers if I tried that. Anyone have any tips for me? And here's a picture of the cute little guy. 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Blow dart??

Pressure washer....

Excellent suggestions so far. Keep them coming.

Well, you could taser him.  That should kill any fleas that are there as well as prep him for the drops.

Of course, he might not be as affectionate in the future...

You need another person to help. My parents had a cat, Tigger, that was a disaster when it came to flea & ticks prevention, medications and ear drops. My dad had these long, thick, gloves used for the pellet stove. They went up to his elbows. He grabbed Tigger and held him tight, while my mom did whatever it was she had to do. The gloves eliminated anybody getting shredded, with blood flying everywhere.

I don't think it's a stray. Real stray cats wouldn't come close to human even if you feed them or hang around them for years. My bet is that it will let you do it without too much fuzz.

ZenNUTS said:   My bet is that it will let you do it without too much fuzz.
So how soon can you get over there to help moonbeam... 

woowoo2 said:   Pressure washer....
It rubs the flea and tick treatment into it's skin or it gets the hose again.

Connman said:   
ZenNUTS said:   My bet is that it will let you do it without too much fuzz.
So how soon can you get over there to help moonbeam... 

  I'm available sometime in mid-Aug, FW discounted hourly rate of $250/hr with 8hr max for travel days.  Just send a PO for $10k and I'll bill actual incurred.

xoxo

My vet switched my dog to oral (i.e. pills) flea & tick medicine about a year ago. Is there a cat-equivalent?

ArbitraryChicken said:   My vet ... Is there a cat-equivalent?
Most vets can handle both dogs AND cats! 

Soooo, apparently Outside Kitty heard me get up around 3 AM because he was meowing at my door. I opened it and offered him some cat food. He wasn't interested but he did try to aggressively push his way inside. He was quite offended that I didn't invite him in. But...fleas. And Lily and Clover don't approve of other cats in their house. Or even each other. 

I'll probably buy some flea treatment and have my son help me apply it when he comes to visit in a couple weeks. He is very fond of stray cats. 

ArbitraryChicken said:   My vet switched my dog to oral (i.e. pills) flea & tick medicine about a year ago. Is there a cat-equivalent?
  I think pilling a stray cat would be much worse than applying the liquid!!

ZenNUTS said:   I don't think it's a stray. Real stray cats wouldn't come close to human even if you feed them or hang around them for years. My bet is that it will let you do it without too much fuzz.
He's definitely not feral. My kitty, Lily, was semi-feral. She wouldn't let me pick her up for a LONG time after I got her and she only recently discovered lap sitting, 3 years after I got her. She's still very skittish. Someone probably feeds Outside Kitty because he never seems interested in the cat food I offer (and it's high end canned food, not junk!). He IS a tom cat, right? He probably goes around to all the crazy cat ladies (and men) in the neighborhood, collecting delicious food from all of them. 

moonbeam said:   
ArbitraryChicken said:   My vet switched my dog to oral (i.e. pills) flea & tick medicine about a year ago. Is there a cat-equivalent?
  I think pilling a stray cat would be much worse than applying the liquid!!

  Granted dogs are usually more willing to take pills than cats.  But, my dog thinks her flea & tick pill is a treat and gets excited when I open it.  So, I assume it's yummy for a dog.  Maybe the cat version of a dog veterinarian can give you yummy cat pills that will keep the bugs away. 

ArbitraryChicken said:   
moonbeam said:   
ArbitraryChicken said:   My vet switched my dog to oral (i.e. pills) flea & tick medicine about a year ago. Is there a cat-equivalent?
  I think pilling a stray cat would be much worse than applying the liquid!!

  Granted dogs are usually more willing to take pills than cats.  But, my dog thinks her flea & tick pill is a treat and gets excited when I open it.  So, I assume it's yummy for a dog.  Maybe the cat version of a dog veterinarian can give you yummy cat pills that will keep the bugs away. 

  But...dog. They'll eat anything.

moonbeam said: But...dog. They'll eat anything.
 



So true! They love 'kitty kisses', my sister had covered cat litter boxes in the rooms the dogs inhabited, otherwise they'd be digging in them.


I should mention that my parents cat Tigger did like one thing, pink bubble-gum flavored amoxicillin. He'd get abscesses from fighting with other cats/animals, so he'd need antibiotics. He LOVED that amoxicillin. My mom would get the bottle out of the fridge, and call him as she filled the dropper. He'd eagerly lap it up as she dropped it in his mouth.  And he'd meow and complain as she put the bottle back in the fridge, he wanted more.

ArbitraryChicken said:   
moonbeam said:   
ArbitraryChicken said:   My vet switched my dog to oral (i.e. pills) flea & tick medicine about a year ago. Is there a cat-equivalent?
  I think pilling a stray cat would be much worse than applying the liquid!!

  Granted dogs are usually more willing to take pills than cats.  But, my dog thinks her flea & tick pill is a treat and gets excited when I open it.  So, I assume it's yummy for a dog.  Maybe the cat version of a dog veterinarian can give you yummy cat pills that will keep the bugs away. 

  
Greenies make a product called Pill Pockets that are for giving pills to dogs & cats. They disguise the pill as a treat, you put the pill inside and pinch it closed. The pockets come in pet-pleasing meaty flavors to aid in compliance, though there are some pets (my sister's one cat) who manage to eat the pocket and spit the uneaten pill out. However, moonbeam mentioned that outdoor kitty seemed uninterested in any food she's offered, so he might turn up eating the pill-disguised-as-a-treat as well.

moonbeam said:   Clover's adorable stray cat buddy-through-the-window, "Outside Kitty," runs over to greet me when he sees me outside, rubs against my legs, and begs for head scratches. He's a sweetheart, but I'm sure he has fleas and I don't want to bring bugs into my home. Even though he's extremely affectionate, I'm not sure how easy it would be to apply flea and tick drops to a stray cat. The instructions state that you should part the hair on the cat's neck and rub the medication into the skin, not the hair. I suspect I would be missing a couple fingers if I tried that. Anyone have any tips for me? And here's a picture of the cute little guy. 
  
I would condition the cat to want you to apply the topical. When the cat comes up to you, start scratching it between the shoulder blades with one hand while you let it nibble on a piece of turkey (or chicken) with the other. When you remove your scratching hand, remove the turkey. This way, the cat associates being touched with receiving turkey. Later, advance to scratching for a little, stop, then give turkey. Then, scratch with two hands (over time, working up to motions like you're applying the topical), stop, and then give turkey. Eventually, you should be able to apply the topical and then give turkey.

ETA: If turkey/chicken doesn't work, go straight to Arbys. It's Annabelle's favorite, and she will climb my leg to get to it.

It's got to be safer than brushing its teeth, which I had to do for our pet cat.

larrymoencurly said:   It's got to be safer than brushing its teeth, which I had to do for our pet cat.
I brush Lily's teeth every day. NBD, actually. At least not for me. Lily may have a different opinion.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017