Are all supermarket cashiers clueless?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Text Only
rated:
Or just don't have common sense? This has happened multiple times. In the summer I'll take a cooler with that blue plastic faux ice in the store with me for ice cream and other refrigerated items. The cooler is obviously old and used but the cashier will try to scan it anyway. Have to say, no no I brought that with me, there is food inside to scan. And then of course she will try to scan the faux ice as well. Is this such an unusual event that they don't have a clue why anyone would have a cooler to take cold food home in? 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
maybe they are robots? designed to scan anything presented before them. lol.

I would put food into my own cooler after I pay for them, but that's just me.

enterkey said:   I would put food into my own cooler after I pay for them, but that's just me.
  op might have had a bad experience with food spoilage.

If you need to keep it cool before and after checking out, at least unpack it for the cashier so they don't waste everybody's time digging thru your cooler.

If it's happened more than one or two times, maybe you are the one who's missing a clue...

thestreetproposer said:   
enterkey said:   I would put food into my own cooler after I pay for them, but that's just me.
  op might have had a bad experience with food spoilage.

Not spoilage, just don't want ice cream to start melting while waiting in line at the checkout.

Ice cream will probably survive the five minutes outside the cooler while you buy it.

Probably isn't certainly, and if I have the cooler in the shopping cart already, why not use it right then.

it's not like every other customer they face bring their own cooler.  Having a customer bring in their cooler in the store and then placing their items before paying for them is unusual thing for them, they're trained to scan every item that's on the belt including Maggie from the Simpsons.

kamalktk said:   Ice cream will probably survive the five minutes outside the cooler while you buy it.Only 5 minutes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SozZHZAWS64

How long are you spending in the grocery store that you need to bring in a cooler? Can't you buy the frozen items in the end? I would be perplexed, too.

When I've been down in Florida during the summer I see people do it all the time. That's where I got the idea, plus around here they charge you 5 cents a bag so this saves at least 5 cents every trip. That's the FW way, right. Or maybe I'm just a revolutionary.

atikovi said:   Or maybe I'm just a revolutionary.

That must be it.

Placing items in personal bags or containers prior to purchase can appear to be a theft attempt; so, it isn't your property until you have paid for it. 
Definitely there is a clueless individual in that situation.

Revolutionary or clueless? Y'all are being far, far too kind.

kirbydog said:   Placing items in personal bags or containers prior to purchase can appear to be a theft attempt; so, it isn't your property until you have paid for it. 

Haven't used it myself, but around here supermarkets have handheld scanners that customers can use as they pick items off the shelf and put them in their bags. They pay at the front when finished. Always thought it's a bad idea for the store. What's to prevent someone from deliberately or accidentally neglecting to scan an item? 

atikovi said:   
kirbydog said:   Placing items in personal bags or containers prior to purchase can appear to be a theft attempt; so, it isn't your property until you have paid for it. 

Haven't used it myself, but around here supermarkets have handheld scanners that customers can use as they pick items off the shelf and put them in their bags. They pay at the front when finished. Always thought it's a bad idea for the store. What's to prevent someone from deliberately or accidentally neglecting to scan an item? 

Being a decent human being?

Thieves can't be decent?

atikovi said:   Thieves can't be decent?
QFP

Didn't Robing Hood steal from the rich to give to the poor? Except what he kept for expenses of course.

atikovi said:   Didn't Robing Hood steal from the rich to give to the poor? Except what he kept for expenses of course.

Robin Hood went Robbing. He didn't live in the Hood either.

KayK said:   
atikovi said:   Thieves can't be decent?
QFP

What do Quantum Flow Processors have to do with this?  

Chill baby chill.....

OP, keep your cooler in your trunk and transfer the bags of frozen food into it when you get back to your car. It's weird to take the cooler into the store and even weirder to fill it with food and place it on the conveyer belt at checkout. 

This thread explains a lot about the OP.

moonbeam said:   OP, keep your cooler in your trunk and transfer the bags of frozen food into it when you get back to your car. It's weird to take the cooler into the store and even weirder to fill it with food and place it on the conveyer belt at checkout. 
  Nothing weird about it to me. When it's 100 out I don't want to be messing around transferring food around in the trunk. Now that's weird.

atikovi said:   moonbeam said:   OP, keep your cooler in your trunk and transfer the bags of frozen food into it when you get back to your car. It's weird to take the cooler into the store and even weirder to fill it with food and place it on the conveyer belt at checkout. 
  Nothing weird about it to me. When it's 100 out I don't want to be messing around transferring food around in the trunk. Now that's weird.

Nothing wrong with messing around in the trunk. And the 100 degrees reduces friction.

So let me get this straight. You pack a cooler full of stuff, drop it on the conveyor belt, don't tell them it's your cooler and expect them to physicly know its your cooler and ice packs. And when they prove they don't have physic powers, you come here to insult them.

My local Supermarket would be happy to pack up a cooler I brought in and bring it out to my car. They wouldn't

That's not the only thing I drop on the conveyor belt, produce, caned goods, paper products, Boxed items, etc. It doesn't take psychic powers to deduce a worn cooler with faded and peeling labels wasn't just picked up at the store. Didn't imagine it is so hard to comprehend someone in the middle of summer using one to take home refrigerated items, especially when most people bring their own reusable bags for the same purpose.

atikovi said:   That's not the only thing I drop on the conveyor belt, produce, caned goods, paper products, Boxed items, etc. It doesn't take psychic powers to deduce a worn cooler with faded and peeling labels wasn't just picked up at the store. Didn't imagine it is so hard to comprehend someone in the middle of summer using one to take home refrigerated items, especially when most people bring their own reusable bags for the same purpose.

So you put everything you're buying on the conveyor... Except a cooler and ice packs. Everything is ready to scan... Except your cold chain purchases.

BrianGa said:   How long are you spending in the grocery store that you need to bring in a cooler? 
I often spend a lot of time in the store and most are so cold that I have to bring a heavy shirt when it is 95 outside.

Like most people, I pick-up frozen stuff last, and leave the cooler in the car. Ice cream  does not melt that fast.

scrouds said:   So let me get this straight. You pack a cooler full of stuff, drop it on the conveyor belt, don't tell them it's your cooler and expect them to physicly know its your cooler and ice packs.

OP rides down the conveyor belt with his cooler between his knees. Pretty obvious that would be his personal cooler, no? 

scrouds said:   
atikovi said:   That's not the only thing I drop on the conveyor belt, produce, caned goods, paper products, Boxed items, etc. It doesn't take psychic powers to deduce a worn cooler with faded and peeling labels wasn't just picked up at the store. Didn't imagine it is so hard to comprehend someone in the middle of summer using one to take home refrigerated items, especially when most people bring their own reusable bags for the same purpose.

So you put everything you're buying on the conveyor... Except a cooler and ice packs. Everything is ready to scan... Except your cold chain purchases.

I put the cooler on the conveyor too and the cashier takes the contents out to scan, then puts them right back in. Quite convenient. Not sure what cold chain purchases are though.

Since I take public transit to my shopping destinations, I take with me, in addition to reusable shopping totes (Save-a-Lot charges for bags if you don't supply your own), various coolers/freezer bags, if I'm planning on buying anything frozen, as bus wait times vary.

My mobility scooter has two baskets, which is about the same as those mini shopping carts with the two-tier baskets. So sometimes I can't fit everything in them, so I generally grab one of my bags and put additional stuff in the bag.

At the checkout, if I have stuff in a bag, I dump those contents on the conveyor first, and put the bag up front with the others. If I have items I need to go into freezer bags/coolers, I let the cashier know.

I have never had a cashier try to scan a bag/cooler (My freezer bag is the same type many stores sell in the freezer aisles). None of my food or other items are in any containers/bags, the bags/containers are placed on the conveyor in front of all food items.

You could avoid confusing the cashiers by removing all items, and taking your cooler to the bagging station and asking the cashier to place frozen/cold items in the cooler, or even do it yourself.

Cold chain: anything labeled keep refrigerated or keep frozen

Thought he meant gold chains.

I live in Florida and have never seen this. I bring my own reusable bags to Publix and they load them up just fine. I'm sure they would do the same with an insulated bag as well. For Costco, I keep a thermal bag in the car and transfer cold stuff to it when I get to the car.

atikovi said:   Thought he meant gold chains.
Don't be touchin my bling

What did grocery stores do before they had shopping baskets and carts?

I usually buy loads of soda at a time and bring my own boxes.  Often when I use self-checkout lane, the attendant rings up everything after I scan the first item and gets the quantity correct.  

Just to understand, you are contending that it's the cashier's job to unpack your stuff.  Is it also the cashier's job to repack it?

Skipping 17 Messages...
You sir have excellent mind reading skills.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017