• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Cards in question
Disclaimer
Got a replacement card and now I have two cards with the last 4 digits that are in sequential order. One from U.S Bank and one from Chase. This is going to make things a little confusing in the future. Yes pics included.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Cool story bro

Amazing.

Maybe there are different pattern hidden with the rest of numbers. Allow us to help you find out.

Happens about 1 in 5000 times.

dannon35 said:   Happens about 1 in 5000 times.
  Can you provide the mathematical factualization of this?

MilleniumBuc said:   

Yeah I think it's actually more frequent than that but I'm not sure.

So would 3 in a row be 1 in 3333 times?

Or because of the checksum error verification, would the odds actually be smaller?

The first 15 digits are somewhat correlated according to Luhn Algorithm; the last digit is a deterministic error-check bit.  Another challenge in probability.  

This thread sucks without your mother's maiden name.

goku2 said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   

if you only care about them being sequential, and don't care what the particular numbers are (01-02 vs 155-156), then the odds are 1 in 10,000. It's a four digit sequence so it has 10,000 possible numbers, and what the first number is would not be relevant. [and assuming there are no limits on what cc numbers can be].

Odds of three sequential (or two sequential if you care what the numbers are) would be 100,000,000.

kamalktk said:   
goku2 said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   

if you only care about them being sequential, and don't care what the particular numbers are (01-02 vs 155-156), then the odds are 1 in 10,000. It's a four digit sequence so it has 10,000 possible numbers, and what the first number is would not be relevant. [and assuming there are no limits on what cc numbers can be].

But... if my first card ended in "5678", the second card could be either "5677" or "5679" for the cards to be sequential, so 2/10,000 or 1/5,000. 

dannon35 said:   kamalktk said:   
goku2 said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   

But... if my first card ended in "5678", the second card could be either "5677" or "5679" for the cards to be sequential, so 2/10,000 or 1/5,000. 

Good point. I hadnt thought of that.

This will make america great again.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017