Do you dilute your OIL BASED primer

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am in the process of painting some newly purchased Ikea furniture that had light brown lacquer finish over pine. I did not realized it has a light coat of lacquer until I am halfway done on one of the flat piece. I am using a Kilz Original oil based primer. When I am using the primer as it is, with a brush, the dried surface shows up with lots of ridges. However, when I am applying it with 1:1 thinner, the finish seems much smoother. Is there any drawback applying a diluted primer? we will be using 2 coats of primer anyway.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
The Darth Dilutes

If you are using a thinner that is appropriate for use with your primer, the only drawback I can think of, is that you might need to use more than two coats, because the layers of the primer will be thinner. I'm more of a crafty person who uses acrylics and polyethylenes, and thinners appropriate for those products, and adjust the number of coats accordingly. One telltale way of knowing if you need additional coats is to closely inspect the finish. If it looks uneven upon close-up inspection, that's your clue to add another coat (or two). You're going to have to be the judge of if the finish is even after the two coats, or if it should be more.

Thanks sweety. Ended up switching to a shellac based primer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016