• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Anyone concerned about heavy metals in synthetic fertilizers used for soil-based gardening?  Even "organic" fertilizer does not mean there is safe levels of heavy metals because the manure or compost components can be from animals or vegetation that is fed with heavy metal rich foods or fertilizer.   

From what I have read, some synthetic fertilizers that are made specifically to be dissolved 100% in water for use as hydroponic fertilizer solution are processed and purified to REMOVE heavy metals and contaminants. They even state on their product they have no heavy metal in their fertilizer product.  

I've also read separately that vegetables (ex. tomatoes, peppers) are richer in nutrients with hydroponics and also tests showed no heavy metal content, unlike some soil-grown vegetables using "organic" or synthetic fertilizer.

Anyone have some info about this topic?  
I believe I have found some hydroponic fertilizers in solid granular form made to be 100% dissolved in water which have very low (below EPA levels) heavy metal parts per billion (PPB) or even no heavy metals.
I have definitely found some fertilizers commonly used in soil-based gardens which are alarmingly high in heavy metals.  Some of them so high that the state of Minnesota banned them for sale in their state. 

Hope there are some gardeners who can some information to promote better healthier garden foods.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Guitar Shredders Monthly frowns on being heavy metal free

whoever smoke your weed won't care.

ZenNUTS said:   whoever smoke your weed won't care.
Actually they do care and should care. 

You had me at "free".

There are organic and inorganic compounds, like with aresenic found in apples and some of the B vitamins are arsenic based but since it's an organic compound, it's more easily eliminated from the body than an inorganic compound that may take longer.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016