European road trip

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
H, K, their dad, and myself packed up and headed to Europe last week. One week done, three to go. My observations so far:
- bologna in Bologna is not superior to one in NY
- our rental Volvo gives us unreal mileage per gallon, first filling at 1200 km+
- Germany has better and more chocolate bar varieties than Italy
- my kids giggle at every EXIT sign in Germany
- it costs you minimum $2 to pee in Venice
- Austrian alpine and mountain roads are unbelievably beautiful 
- driving with GPS is so very simple compared to following paper maps as I did when I travelled in Europe years ago. Have not got lost once. Except when walking in Venice...
Arrivederci!

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
- When in Switzerland, do splurge and take the train from Interlaken (or Lauterbrunnen if you drive till there) to Jungfraujoch
- Skip Geneva, it's Meh.
- Do visit Pisa when visiting Florence. Nice little town.

Picture taken from Jungfraujoch
Disclaimer
KayK said:   - When in Switzerland, do splurge and take the train from Interlaken (or Lauterbrunnen if you drive till there) to Jungfraujoch
- Skip Geneva, it's Meh
- Do visit Pisa when visiting Florence. Nice little town.

Agree with Jungfraujoch.  I took an all day tour to there and a couple places in between from Zurich a couple years ago.  I think the cost of the tour was about $200.  Expensive, but things are expensive in Switzerland, but it was worth it.

MommyOfHAndK said:   
- my kids giggle at every EXIT sign in Germany

So do I, and I'm 44

I took a 3 month drive around Europe way back in the paper maps and no cellphones days, a great thing to do. Your children are lucky. Southern Germany and Austria is beautiful part of the planet.

Couple photos I took on train or while at Jungfrau/Lauterbrunnen

Swiss Cows are Happy Cows
Disclaimer
And here are some happy cows I met in Interlaken.

Since you're in the area (and it's summer), I found Hitler's Kehlsteinhaus really creepy. Bit of WW2 history buff though, so that might not apply to you.

We rented a car for a blast visit.
No GPS

Being bi-lingual English-French was helpful, but the only place we had problems was in the Canton of Berne.
The names of towns and roads are what looked to us as being dozens of letters long.
We had to ask for direction in Interlaken: a bus driver/tour guide did not speak French nor English !

I read a [free] newspaper at the Geneve Airport saying that the Swiss Army has to communicate in English, because of the soldiers from Berne: they can speak only German !!

What we did not like about Switzerland ?

so many places you want to stop the car to take pictures ... but you cannot because the roads are too narrow. 

Great Information.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016