Need router suggestion

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
My son plays games continuously, most are online and cause penalties of you leave.  I finally shut down the router at 11pm and I am would like to have the router reboot every hour so if your connected to the game you will automatically get nocked out on the hour.  He values his play time more than life itself.  any suggestions on the router option?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
If golf can be in the games I don't see why chess and Scrabble can't be. I would add chess and Scrabble.

Are you looking to buy a new router that can control the schedules better, or are you looking for a way to do it using your current router?

Also, not being smarta$$, but please update the title. I honestly thought the topic is about adding something new to a game collection, not about someone who is addicted.

enterkey said:   

Also, not being smarta$$

Someone hasn't read the FWOT T&C

What kind of router?

Most of them will have parental (home) or administrative (commercial) access controls that allow you to dictate what times network access should be allow & what times it shouldn't.

If you really want to, you should be able to set internet access to go down for specific 1 minute periods throughout the day.

Most will also let you specify MAC or IP addresses and limit the times of day that the associated devices are allowed to access the network or gateway.

Some, but not most, will also give you options to limit the total cumulative time that a given device is allowed to be connected per day (time based restriction) or impose quotas that limit the amount of data a node is allowed to send across the network during a given period (bandwidth restrictions or data caps).

You've got some options anyway.

Sounds like OP you are setting yourself up to a ton of 'Game Rage'
Why not just uninstall his games or give him a chromebook? Can't play many games on a chromebook.

How old is this child?

"Stop playing so many games online or I'll confiscate your Xbox/phone/whatever".

I know someone who ended up taking his router to bed every night to stop their teenager being online all night then falling asleep at school.

ganda said:   How old is this child?

"Stop playing so many games online or I'll confiscate your Xbox/phone/whatever".

I know someone who ended up taking his router to bed every night to stop their teenager being online all night then falling asleep at school.

I told you not to share that!

Kandykornhead said:   

Hey Grandpa, the kid just bought his own router and plugged it in after the parental Ovaltine kicked in.

ganda said:   
Kandykornhead said:   

Hey Grandpa, the kid just bought his own router and plugged it in after the parental Ovaltine kicked in.

I should stop paying him to mow the lawn.

Kandykornhead said:   
ganda said:   
Kandykornhead said:   

I should stop paying him to mow the lawn.

He would prefer not having to mow your lawn. Online gambling and eBates are far more lucrative.

I'm currently using pfsense. I don't recommend it for the faint of heart but I'm sure it could do what you want it to do.

You could do it in DDWRT on basically any cheap Linksys clone. It does require some minimal tech knowledge

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017