Bogus tech support scammer phone calls

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Like many others I occasionally get scammer phone calls from India, claiming to be Microsoft Tech Support. I've had a sudden uptick in the number of calls, maybe 12 in the last week, different supposed domestic numbers. It's not like there's one number to block...

Anyone else getting a bunch of these calls all of a sudden? Why am I getting the special attention?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Do the callers say Microsoft Tech Support or Windows Tech Support? Usually, asking them to log into a site that will give me remote access to their computer so that I can fix their computers after providing their credit card info, they hang up. Just saying that I have a Mac doesn't work anymore.

I'm getting calls in Spanish. Like, only Spanish, can't speak English. It sounds like a telemarketer type call, maybe Spanish speaking debt collection?

I think the current ones say Windows rather than Microsoft,  I'll listen more closely next time.

I've tried "I have a Mac"
I've tried "I don't have electricity"
I've tried, when asked what is my screen, answering "your Mother ****ing a dog's **** and she's enjoying it"
I will try speaking Spanish next time, although it will quickly turn into Consuela from Family Guy

It only cost me $299 to get my computer fixed by the Window's tech support team. I'm so glad my computer reported the problems to them!

george2001 said:   It only cost me $299 to get my computer fixed by the Window's tech support team. I'm so glad my computer reported the problems to them!

WOW! That's cheap!

My tech support charged me $999 and installed a software, so that they can monitor to make sure that virus and Trojan horses won't be installed.  He said he would also keep eyes on what I enter on my browser, so I won't go to dangerous websites by accident.  

Considering 24/7 monitoring, I guess the price isn't too bad.  

george2001 said:   It only cost me $299 to get my computer fixed by the Window's tech support team. I'm so glad my computer reported the problems to them!

huh. I actually know a couple who fell for this, although I think they only paid $100. They swear up and down to this day (it was about 2 years ago) that it was totally legit. Yup, a phone call out of the blue because Microsoft notified them and gave them permission to call you. Yup yup. And they are both smart. About most things, that is.

sublimosa said:   

huh. I actually know a couple who fell for this, although I think they only paid $100. They swear up and down to this day (it was about 2 years ago) that it was totally legit. Yup, a phone call out of the blue because Microsoft notified them and gave them permission to call you. Yup yup. And they are both smart. About most things, that is.

I actually know someone that got scammed too...I had helped a neighbor one day who was having connection problems.  I called the ISP to check things out.  The next day, the scammers called, and she figured it was a return call from the ISP support folks.  She was taken for $299.  I did go through her PC and removed anything that they installed..

Mom got this call from (866) 475-3179, last night at 10PM! I called back and it is the scammer but only got connected to their message. Claimed to be "National Security Exchange Commission". I already got it blocked but I'll call back many more times to see if I can get connected to some ahole.

I'm surprised they charge I figured they were just setting up a keylogger

scrouds said:   I'm surprised they charge I figured they were just setting up a keylogger
  You pay them to set up the keylogger.

ganda said:   I think the current ones say Windows rather than Microsoft,  I'll listen more closely next time.

I asked because I was curious if the scammers weren't worried about law enforcement in Mumbai but were afraid claim they were from Microsoft. Some criminals aren't afraid of the police but don't mess with the mob.I am not claiming that Microsoft is comparable to criminals but the prospect of actual Microsoft technicians checking licenses and pursuing them might deter people from claiming that they work for Microsoft.

I used to do IT for a law firm.  One of our secretaries fell for this crap in the office.  CIO threatened to go down to her office and take her computer away.

Glacierwolf said:   I used to do IT for a law firm.  One of our secretaries fell for this crap in the office.  CIO threatened to go down to her office and take her computer away.
  Doesnt your office have your own IT team?

I feel that most people who fell victims to this kind of scams are old.

skullofagoblin said:   I feel that most people who fell victims to this kind of scams are old.
  I'm over 60, live in Fl. (home of the scammers targets) for the last 40 years and to this day, I don't understand how somebody can be so gullible. "Oh you're from the IRS? here's my S.S.#, my I give you my bank acct. # as well?" REALLY? How about some magic beans, got any of those?

It's not just in the tech field that these scams come from. It can be any subject that might interest an individual. I receive these tech calls myself, they get about 4 seconds on my answering the phone and the next thing they hear is "click"

.FYI, I subscribe to the national do not call list as well as the Fl. do not call list. They don't work for what I perceive as legit local businesses no less the scammers.Be smart people and if you have caller I.D. use it! Just don't answer the call if you don't recognize the #. If it's important they will leave a message.

Atariman56 said:   
skullofagoblin said:   I feel that most people who fell victims to this kind of scams are old.
  I'm over 60, live in Fl. (home of the scammers targets) for the last 40 years and to this day, I don't understand how somebody can be so gullible. "Oh you're from the IRS? here's my S.S.#, my I give you my bank acct. # as well?" REALLY? How about some magic beans, got any of those?

It's not just in the tech field that these scams come from. It can be any subject that might interest an individual. I receive these tech calls myself, they get about 4 seconds on my answering the phone and the next thing they hear is "click"

.FYI, I subscribe to the national do not call list as well as the Fl. do not call list. They don't work for what I perceive as legit local businesses no less the scammers.Be smart people and if you have caller I.D. use it! Just don't answer the call if you don't recognize the #. If it's important they will leave a message.

ITA. No one ever wants to say this, but most victims aren't very smart. There are exceptions, but based on my relatives and acquaintances, it's usually the dumb ones who fall for these scams.

I recently heard a science podcast that talked about a psychological test on gullibility vs age. It was confirmed that older people are more trusting. Keep in mind our brain goes through changes as we get older. You have probably seen this yourself in your older relatives. While I would never fall for something like this now, I just can't predict how my brain will age.

The law just haven't kept with time, scamming is where all the smarter criminal does this days. We need to change the law to reflect that.

ZenNUTS said:   I recently heard a science podcast that talked about a psychological test on gullibility vs age. It was confirmed that older people are more trusting. Keep in mind our brain goes through changes as we get older. You have probably seen this yourself in your older relatives. While I would never fall for something like this now, I just can't predict how my brain will age.

The law just haven't kept with time, scamming is where all the smarter criminal does this days. We need to change the law to reflect that.

I've definitely gotten LESS trusting and gullible over the years. Unless I'm senile, I don't see that changing.

I suspect old people who are gullible were also gullible when they were young. That's the case for people I know. 

moonbeam said:   
ZenNUTS said:   I recently heard a science podcast that talked about a psychological test on gullibility vs age. It was confirmed that older people are more trusting. Keep in mind our brain goes through changes as we get older. You have probably seen this yourself in your older relatives. While I would never fall for something like this now, I just can't predict how my brain will age.

I've definitely gotten LESS trusting and gullible over the years. Unless I'm senile, I don't see that changing.

I suspect old people who are gullible were also gullible when they were young. That's the case for people I know. 

I've PM'ed you a link for a FREE Rascal mobility scooter with free flag upgrades

ZenNUTS said:   It was confirmed that older people are more trusting.

Get off my lawn!!!!!
(Pew, Pew...)

I say ( in my offical voice) "Police, how may I direct your call?" They hang up and do not call back.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017