Champagne

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-continental/286...

But seriously, I need to get some champagne for a thing. It needs to be a decent bottle but not out of hand $$. What is a good/decent champagne (sparkling wine) on the low end of the budget?
Merci!

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
(As much as you can have an everyday Champagne) it's Veuve Clicquot for us, the best sub $50 bottle IMO.

there are a number of good sparkling wines in the under $25 price range. Gruet, which is a New Mexico winery, has several choices. Their brut Rose is pretty and tasty. Blanc de noir if something drier is desired. Other wineries that come to mind are Gloria Ferrer, Chandon, Piper Sonoma, and Scharffenberger. Oh, and Roederer, Lartitia, Iron Horse and Argyle. Argyle might be more than $25, I haven't priced it lately.

my favorite Champagne is Billecart-Salmon Rose which I think is $50 for the split. 

five buck chuck

eta: nvm.. that's wine.

Freixenet (Spanish sparkling) is fine for $10

Thanks, guys. I'll see which of these is available around me. I've still never had a mimosa...perhaps I'll buy a bottle for myself at the same time and remedy my plight.

You'll have to change your name to Sub-mimosa.

sublimosa said:   Thanks, guys. I'll see which of these is available around me. I've still never had a mimosa...perhaps I'll buy a bottle for myself at the same time and remedy my plight.
  For cocktails you can use a lesser expensive wine. Cooks and Barefoot are at ground level and are not recommended unless a nice, pounding headache is desired. I wouldn't go lower than $14ish which rules out Freixenet.

Have fun!

Martini & Rossi Asti 750ML for around $15 or less.   Makes good mimosa. 

How about a case of the champagne of beers?
I'm sure it's divine mixed with orange juice.

carlaandolini said:   How about a case of the champagne of beers
I'm sure it's divine mixed with orange juice.

Couldn't make it taste any worse

1. Go to totalwine.com and search champagne/sparkling wine
2. Limit your search to France
3. Limit your search to top rated (anything over 90)
4. Limit your search to $20-40

That gets you down to 9 results. 8 Champagnes and 1 Cremant d'Alsace (cremant means sparkling wine). The Albrecht Cremant d'Alsace is the cheapest way to get something that tastes like French Champagne. It's half the price only because it doesn't say "Champagne" on the label. I'd put it up against any sub $50 bottle of champagne or sparkling wine from anywhere in the world (and some >$50 bottles too). The Albrecht Rose is scored at an 89 if you need any rose.

If you need it to say "Champagne" on the label, the rest of the results: Mailly Brut Reserve Grand Cru, De Margerie Grand Cru Brut, Montaudon Brut, Montaudon Grande Rose Brut, De Margerie Grand Cru Cuvee Speciale, Feuillatte Brut Blue Label, Pertois Moriset Grand Cru Brut Blanc de Blancs, Laurent Perrier Brut N/V are your best choices for the $35-40 range. If you bump up to $45, ganda's recommendation, Veuve Clicquot Brut NV, is your best bet, but you'll also get another 13 results to choose from in that range.

Even if you don't have a Total Wine near you, it's still a great tool to have before going into your local wine shop. Some of those Champagnes are popular enough that you'll find someplace in town that carries a few of them. Throw out a few of those names and you might even sound like you know what you're talking about.

P.S. Awesome Walken SNL reference. I never would have guessed that skit was from almost 24 years ago!

I like my Verdi Asti Spumante for 5.99 at Publix. It's cheap and it does the job.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017