• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
My contract with DirecTV expired in July, but I decided to keep it through the Olympics. On August 1, I called DirecTV to schedule cancellation of the service for August 20. I had a polite conversation with the CSR. She went through all the pitches to try to keep me as a customer, I declined, then she read me all the cancellation terms, told me I'd be getting a box in the mail to return equipment, etc. That was that.

I never received a box in the mail, so I turned on my receiver on August 21. Low and behold, I'm still up and running. So I called DirecTV again and - surprise, surprise - they have no record of me calling on August 1. So I went through the cancellation stuff again and asked that my cancellation date be back-dated to August 20 like it was supposed to. She said she couldn't do that but would "escalate" the issue.

We're talking 1 day - not significant money, but I'm extremely annoyed by this shady behavior. My mobile call log shows my 15 minute phone call to DirecTV on August 1. I suppose they would claim I waited on hold for 15 minutes but never spoke to anyone - but why would I lie about this? It just seems awfully suspicious that they have no record of my cancellation request.

Anyway, officially done with DirecTV. I'll miss the DVR and some of the sports, but that's it. I sure won't miss paying nearly $100 a month.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
What does this have to do with Finance? Oh wait, I see the dollar sign.

Totally on board with your position.  These satellite-based programming providers can be pretty slimy and never should be trusted.  You have to check and double check that your instructions to them are being/have been fulfilled.  I went through a somewhat similar situation with Sirius.  They actually sent my undeserved "bill" to an agency for collection.  While I finally paid at that time, I eventually got the money back thanks to the national class action lawsuit against them.  There were at least hundreds (probably more like thousands) of customers who had been cheated.

I also years ago was a DirecTV customer.  They never cheated me, but their prices went to the moon and I just dropped out.  I have no regrets and absolutely no second thoughts.  Their bundling and packaging policies are abhorrent to me.  I want nothing to do with them.    

subscription model businesses are slimy, at least the ones that do promo pricing for new customers and also make it hard to cancel. I usually memorialize  all cancel requests in writing.

I'm with you, they're scammers and liars. I contacted Directv on chat support to cancel my premium channels before promotional offer ends, the rep was nice and confirmed that my request is processed.
I noticed y'day that my premium channels are still working, so they'll charge me $100 extra for premium channels. Luckily I requested to email me the chat conversation.
I'm debating if I should keep using it till next bill and contact them to cancel it with with proof of chat transcript.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016