Is generating coupon codes fraud?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
With the loss of the Renovopower Lowes coupon code generator (http://renovopower.com/lowes.html), I spent a few hours looking at a bunch of valid codes and figured out the algorithm for the current batch of $10 off $50 and 10% off codes.

But...is it legal (ethical?) to release the algorithm?  Or set up a web page that generates codes, but not actually release the algorithm.

I dunno, torn.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Not unless you use the code to make a coupon then trying to use such coupon. IMO.

There are lots of websites that generate Lowe's coupon codes. We don't allow them here because of the ethics question. However, those websites are still very much up and running, so take that for what you will.

It is kind off unethical to generate codes. Is there a chance that 2 of the same codes will be generated?

Yes, it is unethical.  Yes, it is fraud.  You either deprive someone else of a coupon they were entitled to, or you cheat the store that issues the coupons.

- resident Business Ethics expert (teaching 5 sections this semester)

Releasing the algorithm is speech. Nothing illegal about that.

Using the algorithm is fraud. Not so legal.

HorB said:   Yes, it is unethical.  Yes, it is fraud.  You either deprive someone else of a coupon they were entitled to, or you cheat the store that issues the coupons.

Professor has answered the question. Lock this thread up!

Perfect, thanks!

Perhaps we should be glad that they have made the algo public. It's fine.

HorB said:   Yes, it is unethical.  Yes, it is fraud.  You either deprive someone else of a coupon they were entitled to, or you cheat the store that issues the coupons.

And here I thought the board resident expert in _____ would have chimed in first.

MilleniumBuc said:   

And here I thought the board resident expert in _____ would have chimed in first.

I waited a bit but he didn't show.

HorB said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   

I waited a bit but he didn't show.

Hello.  If I had to define "algorithm" it would probably sound like, "It's this math thingy for maths."  

Where's the algorithm??

What's an algorithm??

Necromancers just want to raise a family.

atikovi said:   What's an algorithm??

AL Gore Rhythm 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017