How do some stores at the mall stay in business?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Strolling through a major suburban mall on a friday night, I noticed that probably 80% of the stores were clothing or shoe stores. How can they stay in business with so much competition? How many choices do people need and how many different styles of pants or shoes are there? Some of the stores I walked by didn't have a single customer inside and I can assume they are paying thousands a month in rent.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Answer: teenagers.

Maybe Old Navy or Banana Republic but many other stores were empty on a Friday night.

atikovi said:   How many choices do people need and how many different styles of pants or shoes are there?

[looks in wife's closets and does slow whistle]

There is an old mall close to my home that I have no idea how it is still there. The building is old, stores seems unattractive, and it never seems busy. The mall didn't seem busy 20 years ago either. Also, there are other bigger and newer shopping centers/malls within 10-20 minutes from there, too, which are getting people in (judging by cars in parking).

They only shop after you leave.

Answer: cover for money laundering or other criminal activity.

The one in my county is a big suburban mall, that makes the bulk of it's dollars during the Xmas shopping season, it also tends to rake in a lot of dough towards the end of Summer, when families shop for back-to-school stuff.

I live in a state (DE) where there is no sales tax, and DE is rather tiny, and bordered by MD, NJ, and PA. There are a lot of out-of-state license plates on the cars parked at the mall, especially during holiday sales. Throughout the year, residents of states across the border come to this mall to avoid sales tax, especially on big-ticket items where the tax can add up to a lot of dough.

NJ residents cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and pay a fare. To get them here during off-peak seasons, many stores will refund the fare WYB a minimum amount on something at their store, just present the fare ticket at checkout. And yes, you can often do this at multiple stores, if you know which ones do this.

SweetClover said:   The one in my county is a big suburban mall, that makes the bulk of it's dollars during the Xmas shopping season, it also tends to rake in a lot of dough towards the end of Summer, when families shop for back-to-school stuff.

I live in a state (DE) where there is no sales tax, and DE is rather tiny, and bordered by MD, NJ, and PA. There are a lot of out-of-state license plates on the cars parked at the mall, especially during holiday sales. Throughout the year, residents of states across the border come to this mall to avoid sales tax, especially on big-ticket items where the tax can add up to a lot of dough.

NJ residents cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and pay a fare. To get them here during off-peak seasons, many stores will refund the fare WYB a minimum amount on something at their store, just present the fare ticket at checkout. And yes, you can often do this at multiple stores, if you know which ones do this.

We get Canucks coming down to ND.  THere is a sales tax rebate program and hotels offer discounts to holiday shoppers.  

I work near King of Prussia mall and walk there on my lunch sometimes. I'm astonished by how empty it always is, especially outside of holiday shopping. I often wonder if it would be more economically viable for them to close from January through mid-November. And, there are many stores, especially the high end ones, that I literally never see anyone in. I don't know how they stay in business.

SaulHudson said:   I work near King of Prussia mall and walk there on my lunch sometimes. I'm astonished by how empty it always is, especially outside of holiday shopping. I often wonder if it would be more economically viable for them to close from January through mid-November. And, there are many stores, especially the high end ones, that I literally never see anyone in. I don't know how they stay in business.
  They even renovated and added a new section there in recent years, if I am not mistaken. (I used to drive to an office behind KoP for work.)

Some are there for "tax" reasons.

i think these mall or shop owners sell something otherwise why they are still here to open the stores in this area.

enterkey said:   
SaulHudson said:   I work near King of Prussia mall and walk there on my lunch sometimes. I'm astonished by how empty it always is, especially outside of holiday shopping. I often wonder if it would be more economically viable for them to close from January through mid-November. And, there are many stores, especially the high end ones, that I literally never see anyone in. I don't know how they stay in business.
  They even renovated and added a new section there in recent years, if I am not mistaken. (I used to drive to an office behind KoP for work.)

It basically was 2 separate malls up until a few weeks ago.  They opened a ridiculous new wing and parking garage connecting the 2.  Now it's ginormous.  The mid-tier stores like Apple, Victoria Secret, Abercrombie and Fitch, etc... always have people.  It's the high end ones that always seem empty.  The only thing I can figure is that the Main Line crowd comes in during the holiday season and drop boatloads of cash.

SaulHudson said:   
enterkey said:   

It basically was 2 separate malls up until a few weeks ago.  They opened a ridiculous new wing and parking garage connecting the 2.  Now it's ginormous. 

I regularly drive past the KOP mall, now there's a Fat Ham in that connector I'll be stopping by more often than my usual once every 2 or 3 years.

I think malls quietly subsidize stores like Tiffany&Co and Louis Vuitton because the cinnabon-gourging mall waddlers think they're all fancy and shit. 

I hate malls.

I think the KOP mall is a great place:

we use it as a semi mid point between South Jersey & Reading, PA to exchange rides for 2 old [late 90's] friends.

like in:
"I'll pick her up at the King of Prussia Mall, meet me there"

Traffic is pretty light there this time of year.

The older style malls around here (Seattle) are all dying. Some have converted to food court style and are barely surviving.

Newer open "town-square" style mall are doing very well though. usually anchored by a movie theater and surrounded by bars and restaurants plus apartments and/or transit center.

ZenNUTS said:   The older style malls around here (Seattle) are all dying. Some have converted to food court style and are barely surviving.

Newer open "town-square" style mall are doing very well though. usually anchored by a movie theater and surrounded by bars and restaurants plus apartments and/or transit center.

We do that here. Minus the transit center.

The local mall is true anachronism. A few miles from downtown but a classic mall style. It survived and branched out a bit with a gym and an educational center. It weathered through and with the push for downtown living, seems to do fine. I try not to shop there or even do store pickup, it's a nice little bike ride away but getting chased by mall security in my thirties just doesn't have much throwback appeal.

Apparently, at least 4 of us are within reasonable KoP driving distance. Who knew!

I haven't driven there for a while because I no longer have reason to, but it sounds like they have renovated further than I remember. They must be making money somehow.

enterkey said:   Apparently, at least 4 of us are within reasonable KoP driving distance. Who knew!

I haven't driven there for a while because I no longer have reason to, but it sounds like they have renovated further than I remember. They must be making money somehow.

Party at the mall!

I'm not that far from KOP either.  I haven't been there in years, though--a bit too uppity for me. 
Look up your favorite old "dead" mall.

Maybe there's a high concentration of FWFers in the suburban Philly area??? There was a thread about home sales a couple years back and someone posted a link to their open house. It was practically walking distance from my house. It was weird.

SaulHudson said:   Maybe there's a high concentration of FWFers in the suburban Philly area??? There was a thread about home sales a couple years back and someone posted a link to their open house. It was practically walking distance from my house. It was weird.

I am a FWOTer, but not FWFer.  I am about an hour north of KoP, so not exactly suburban Philly either.

enterkey said:   SaulHudson said:   Maybe there's a high concentration of FWFers in the suburban Philly area??? There was a thread about home sales a couple years back and someone posted a link to their open house. It was practically walking distance from my house. It was weird.

I am a FWOTer, but not FWFer.  I am about an hour north of KoP, so not exactly suburban Philly either.
Allentown? Bethlehem? Easton?

I was in Freedom High in Bethlehem for half year.

My NJ hometown has the most retail sales per zip code. The old mall model is dead or dying.

There have been two successful revamps recently. The first mall converted to an outlet mall (more than just factory outlets, but also Bloomingdale's Outlet, Sak's Off Fifth, etc) and anchored by a Whole Foods.

The second added more "lifestyle" retailers like a large movie theater, restaurants, and a Tesla showroom. Plus, valet services like coat check, bag drop off and pick up, etc. Have to do something more to draw people in and away from their computers.

Last I checked, both are doing well.

SaulHudson said:   Maybe there's a high concentration of FWFers in the suburban Philly area??? 
After over 20 years in Philly [too close to South Street], we now happily say :"We are OUT of Philly" and counting the years:  20 years in 2 months. 

Just going back a few months a year for family visits in vicinity.

KayK said:   
enterkey said:   
SaulHudson said:   Maybe there's a high concentration of FWFers in the suburban Philly area??? There was a thread about home sales a couple years back and someone posted a link to their open house. It was practically walking distance from my house. It was weird.

I live 10 minutes from Dorney Park.  I work in Bethlehem.

enterkey said:   
KayK said:   
enterkey said:   

Don't all you Philly people have a Santa Claus to beat up or something?

[wings some spent D-cells at MVP9596]

MVP9596 said:   
enterkey said:   
KayK said:   
enterkey said:   

Don't all you Philly people have a Santa Claus to beat up or something?

No, but if we did the KoP mall usually has 2 of them, one in each big section of the mall.

For one of the few times in my life, I almost went to KOP mall to actually buy something... and there's no Disney Store there. WTF. How is it possible that the biggest mall on the planet doesn't have a Disney store? Must be too low end for KOP.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017