mis matched washer dryer

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
is this acceptable? i could have picked up a floor model of a very nice maytag dryer for about 80% off, but that would have mismatched...
was considering getting all mechanical ala speed queen or maytag commercial, but rebates kinda forced me to get a very nice LG set from Costco.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
you're a fatwalleter, for pete's sake! of course it doesn't matter. It's nice to have things that match, but more important to have things that work well and don't ruin your budget.

ETA: the laundry room is the place where things get clean, it shouldn't have to be spiffy and designer smart.

As long as the dryer fits as much or more than the washer can handle, you're good.

My washer/dryer is in the garage. The garage is full of crap, but still some room to park my car. It wouldn't bother me if the washer and dryer didn't match.

this is the same dryer we fixed a couple of years ago for $450 or so thinking we were doing the right thing. sheesh. i happen to see a very nice maytag dryer in the scratched and dented section at home depot today. not sure the mrs. would have OK'd mis match. the upside is, the washer was ready to go so would have had to get a washer too in the not so distant future.

sublimosa said:   you're a fatwalleter, for pete's sake! of course it doesn't matter. It's nice to have things that match, but more important to have things that work well and don't ruin your budget.

ETA: the laundry room is the place where things get clean, it shouldn't have to be spiffy and designer smart.

umm, good design extends everywhere!
i would have not been able to stand it, no matter how much i saved if the units were not matched. it would have hurt my eyes too much every time i looked at it. i would have resorted to doing the laundry in the dark.

Confused as to why you're going in the laundry room in the first place

Doesnt matter what they look like as long as they do the job right.

If this was expensive furniture, the mismatch would be referred to as "eclectic style"

My parents had an old Wards washer, that my dad had repaired on many occasions. Harvest Gold, from the early 1980's. They moved it to MD when they retired there from PA. The dryer had been replaced, it was white in color. Laundry units were in the basement in both houses. They didn't match, but they did the job. When the MD house was sold 2 years ago, the Harvest Gold washer was sold with it, still working.

My laundry area is in the mechanical room of my townhouse, it has a matching banged up and dented washer and dryer. They don't look pretty (the top of the dryer back has a big depression on one side), but they get the job done. When one dies, I'll replace it with another scratch & dent, color not important. At least they don't make Harvest Gold, Avocado Green, and Coppertone anymore... wait, I hear they're making a comeback.

Shabby Chic for the laundry room...Tres Beau!

We had a washer [I think a Kenmore] in the basement in Philadelphia:
when we bought it in 1979 it was at least 20 y old.
It matched the decor pretty well - dirt floor, low exposed beams, low ceiling, exposed electric wires with glass insulators dating from the dawn of times. [known as "knob & tube wiring"]
The motor died: I replaced the motor with a used one.
That washer lasted till 1996.

We moved to VA, bought a used Kenmore [about 20 y old], from a local guy selling appliances from his garage.
We bought a dryer too, and must have used it about 3 times in 20 years. [sun & air are free]

They match the decor pretty well - big metal building, full of all the crap we brought with us from Philly. 

And, they match:  they are both white [I think  ], banged-up, most of the time covered with bird droppings and dead stink bugs, and I am sure we paid a lot less than $50 a piece.

The day I worry about matching appliances, I won't spend time on FW.

People who worry about matching anything our great for the people who are broke:

I remember driving to NE Philly on trash nights:
a house wife had redone her kitchen, or laundry room, or....
and the colors of the old appliances or furniture where clashing horribly with the new decor. 

The problem is we ended-up with more stuff that we could use, and we shared with friends & family.

I am now staring at a nice night table next to my mother's bed:
It's the half of an art deco "dressing table" that I found in the street in the early 1980's and that I modified.

^ mike, i don't think i've seen your place published in dwell yet.

I thought about whether or not I should buy a matched set when the dryer stopped working. I think I could have fixed it (heating element replacement) but the washer and dryer are commercial refurbs that I got when I bought the house in 1999 and they were I think 15 years old at that time. The washer still works well (fingers crossed) and both appliances are white, but now not the same brand. The new dryer takes half the time to dry a load as the old one did but I didn't see a reduction in my utility bill. I bought a simple model because that is really all we need - a warm and a hot setting. This model has wrinkle guard but I don't use that feature and we don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets and have no issue with static or excessive wrinkling. Hopefully it reduces pollution to not use those items and that balances that I use Tide detergent instead of something environmentally friendly but I use only half the recommended amount..

only if you are a chick.

ZenNUTS said:   only if you are a chick.
  well, that does apply to mrs. miserly...

Mis-matching washer and dryer is a bad Fen Shui. Not only should they match, they should both face toward west with washer to the right of the dryer. Otherwise, I sense bad energy flowing.

I have a drawer full of mismatched socks that have been orphaned by a matching washer/dryer set.

Mismatching a washer and dryer cannot make things worse.

AncientMember said:   I have a drawer full of mismatched socks that have been orphaned by a matching washer/dryer set.

Mismatching a washer and dryer cannot make things worse.

Release those mismatched socks! It is very freeing!

Or at least determine a "get rid of" date if the match doesn't turn up by then, say goodbye.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017