What to do when you get a phone call from a scammer trying to make you think they're the IRS.

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
When I wasn't busy I would mess with them, but I've since read of people having SWAT teams arrive at their house after winding up these scammers. I don't need that.

I have a landline that I only use for outgoing calls (no one I know has the number). Incoming calls are answered with "Thank you for calling the Internal Revenue Service".

Where we live, only dial-up Internet is available, so I have the phone tied-up all day.

The answering machine picks-up when I sleep [in a building 50 feet away]

I would be missing all the fun of dealing with spammers/scammers if I would not be staying a few months a year at my mother's.

I got one of those before. She was doing a decent job hiding her accent, but not perfect. The phone number was from NY.

I went along with it in the beginning (it was early in the morning, and my judgement wasn't exactly top notch), but eventually I told her that it was strange what she was asking for. I had a (real) IRS audit before, and it wasn't how it was handled, I said.

She got quiet for one moment, then with strong, assuring voice, she told me, "You ... go to HELL".

That's when I lost it and started to laugh out loud.

a) I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, b) I don't answer calls from numbers that hide their Caller ID. So I have never dealt with fake IRS or any other scam.

I also have VOIP, so I set up Nomorobo to stop getting robocalls using spoofed phone numbers. Best thing ever, I would get at least one robocall a day. Phone rings once, than Nomorobo answers the robocall, and promptly disconnects it. Scammers spoof another number and auto-dial again - wash, rinse, repeat. After awhile, they get the message when they repeatedly get disconnected after a single ring. You can also report any robocalls that get through, Nomorobo will check the number, and if they can confirm it is a robocall-er, they add it to their database.

Saw this first posted on LL couple of days ago...the funny thing is that the scammer got the poster all worked up at the end and he fell for it. 

A radio host on a show I listen to took a call on the air one day. He acted all concerned that he would be going back to prison if he didn't pay - kept asking if the guy knew how bad prison was. The scammer had the balls to say 'No sir, I don't I don't commit crimes'. That's when everyone lost it and hung up.

I never really answer my landline anymore. Lol.

I got this message left on my phone today.

"Arrest warrant has been issued from internal revenue services. To get more information about this case file. Please call us now +1-844-703-8350. I repeat. It's 844-703-8350. Thank you, and God bless you."

Is there any landline phone that runs on Android so you can use call blocking apps to screen out these scammers?

750 Indian scammers arrested :)

Anyone have a phone number I can call some of them on? "My name is Rav and I am calling from the company of the bail bonds for you having".

ganda said:   750 Indian scammers arrested :) 

Anyone have a phone number I can call some of them on? "My name is Rav and I am calling from the company of the bail bonds for you having".

Yup, the caller in the OP's vid is trying to incite the US folks against the Paki's.  See how he says "we're Pakistan" not "Pakistanis".

Today the AP posted this story of a major shutdown and numerous arrests, of a an IRS scam call center in Mumbai, India. Appears to be the same story posted above, but more detailed. Reports are that a US-based company harvested personal info, which they passed on to the scammers. How much do you wanna bet that the US-based company operated a bunch of fake scam websites, where they got folks to either sign up for some free widget where NAZ & phone # are required, and/or ran a phishing expedition using fake log-in portals, for real banks, and fooled people into using their real log-in info, which they then collected for these Mumbai fake call-centers? 30% of their proceeds went to the US provider of the personal info. Hopefully, Indian police have turned over the info about this US operation that colluded with the Mumbai scammers, and that US law enforcement is closing in and arresting these stateside scammers. It amazes me that people fall for this, requiring payment be made by purchasing gift cards should have been a major clue. Why would the IRS demand payment with  gift cards?

mikebeets said:   Where we live, only dial-up Internet is available, so I have the phone tied-up all day.

The answering machine picks-up when I sleep [in a building 50 feet away]

I would be missing all the fun of dealing with spammers/scammers if I would not be staying a few months a year at my mother's.

I didn't know dial up was still available!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017