Need microwave help

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Text Only
rated:
Does anyone own a counter top microwave in which the light comes on when the door is open?? Seems like they are getting harder and harder to find nowadays with that feature. There is no way to search for that feature so I figured I would ask here for possible models that do have that. Stores do not have their units plugged in either so you do not know in store either.

Thanks for any info

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Go to Amazon and browse. When you see one you like, type "light" in the Q&A section and you shall get your answer.

Every GE brand I have bought has a light inside. Same with Sharp brand.
There was a HORRIBLE, noisy and inefficient Panasonic brand microwave in our office when I first started here that I got rid of for GE and it had a light as well. The door had to be slammed in order to close it and the slamming really annoyed me since my office is near enough to the kitchen in the building to have to hear it.

My Panasonic does. Great door slam too.

In the last 12 months, I bought 3 MW [1 for me, 2 for my mother - I had to return one & change it for another model]

They all had automatic lights.

Are you sure you saw some WITHOUT ?  

Emerson.2
Disclaimer

Emerson.1
Disclaimer
I cant even imagine a microwave to not come with a light inside when cooking but of course, mine is 33 years old (Emerson) and still works like a champ. Never even had to change the lightbulb inside it and I use it multiple times a day. Not much power (600 Watts) but the sides are made of heavy gauge metal and looks like walnut wood-grain. It does have a rather loud door open and close.

In just browsing newer models at the store, I couldnt believe how lightweight they are now. When you close some of the doors, the whole unit moves and I dont like that at all. Something else you may want to consider that it dont move on your countertop when closing the door.

I've used Sharp, Daewoo, and L-G (makes many brands, including Sears Kenmore and GE), and they all turn on the light when the door is open.  The ones without the button to open the door even turn on the turntable when the door is opened slightly but then turn it off when the door is opened more.  

Some newer ovens are lighter because of less steel in the chassis, but some have much smaller power transformers because their power supplies are like those in computers and run at high frequencies instead of 60 Hz like old ones.  

Fake woodgrain is always a sign of quality.  My parents have a Sharp microwave-convection from the early 1980s that still works, although its magnetron and capacitor have been replaced a few times.  

Thanks for all of the replies. I talked to Sharp today and they only make ones now that light up when they are cooking. That was what THEY said.
I purchased this one and the light does not come on when the door is open. I want to return it and get a better one. I can't go to stores to test them out either since nobody supplies power to the models.

I bought a new microwave many months ago, after my Sears Kemore model went. I was undecided, and went through Wamart.com and Amazon, comparing makes and models. I wanted at least 1000-1100 watts. I noticed when reading reviews, that a number of people commented/complained that while the interior light operated while the microwave was in use, the light did not come on when one opened the door. Quite a number of microwave ovens lack the feature of the interior light coming on when the door was opened. For many, this was an issue, they preferred having that feature. My kitchen is well-lit, so it wasn't important to me - I bought a Frigidaire model that lights up when in use, but not when the door is open. It does seem that many manufacturers have done away with that feature, it used to be common for many to light up inside, when the door was opened.

DonnieDuck said:   Thanks for all of the replies. I talked to Sharp today and they only make ones now that light up when they are cooking. That was what THEY said.
I purchased this one and the light does not come on when the door is open. I want to return it and get a better one. I can't go to stores to test them out either since nobody supplies power to the models.

If you don't mind paying over $400, you can get one of their 15-year-old designs that's still being sold, and it also does convection cooking.  

BTW I found that t he cubic foot dimension isn't always accurate, and the actual LxWxH showed that 1.5 cubic foot models ranged from 1.2 - 1.6 cubic feet.

I miss our 1985 Kenmore, large enough to (mis)cook a turkey in if one was crazy enough to do so.

Still rockin' my 1984 J C Penney/Panasonic.  Big, a bit under-powered, heavier than heavy, and requires a little thumping now and again to keep it working, but dollar-for dollar, a great buy, even if I have had to replace the inside light bulb a couple of times.  I get nervous thinking about the options that are available for when we need to replace it.

All of you with 30+ year old microwaves, are you testing the radiation levels on your food?

I will stop using mine when the bacon starts glowing in the dark.

Dovetonsils said:   I will stop using mine when the bacon starts glowing in the dark.
  Glowing seafood results from the cross contamination of fresh, raw seafood in the seafood counter (or elsewhere) with the fully cooked surimi seafood. This occurs when the fully pasteurized surimi seafood is removed from its sterile vacuum package and repacked by store personnel.
Photobacterium phosphoreum is the most common cause of glowing seafood. This species and other luminous marine bacteria are common in the marine environment. There are no reports of illness associated with this bacteria.

DonnieDuck said:   Does anyone own a counter top microwave in which the light comes on when the door is open?? Seems like they are getting harder and harder to find nowadays with that feature. 
  Just how dark is your kitchen that you can't see the inside of your microwave? Why not keep a flashlight beside it then?

MilleniumBuc said:   All of you with 30+ year old microwaves, are you testing the radiation levels on your food?And the door seals?

I always thought the ham glowed before I heated it up...

atikovi said:   
DonnieDuck said:   Does anyone own a counter top microwave in which the light comes on when the door is open?? Seems like they are getting harder and harder to find nowadays with that feature. 
  Just how dark is your kitchen that you can't see the inside of your microwave? Why not keep a flashlight beside it then?

It doesn't matter how light or dark my kitchen is. It is just unbelievable, that in 2016, companies would STOP putting this feature in their microwave ovens. I will not be using a flashlight because of inept manufacturers.

This is 2016, I'm with you here, they should be moving to LEDs, not taking out the lights.

MilleniumBuc said:   All of you with 30+ year old microwaves, are you testing the radiation levels on your food?

1. Fill a glass or plastic bowl with 1 litre of cold tap water
  2. Measure the temperature of the water while stirring, then remove the thermometer
  3. Run the oven at high power for exactly 33 seconds
  4. Measure the temperature of the water again while stirring
  5. The power in watts is 100 times the Fahrenheit temperature difference or 180 times the Celcius temperature difference  

It's normal for oven power to decrease a few percent a year.  

The door seals of a 30 year-old oven should be fine because they're electrical choke seals that don't rely on tight fit.  Amana used to run a commercial demonstrating this by slamming a shot put into the middle of the closed door and then making a deep dent into the perimeter of the door opening with an axe, and the microwave leakage still met federal limits.  But many older ovens, maybe made before the mid 1970s, used different seal designs that relied on a tight fit between pieces of metal and could leak 10 times as much if the seal was damage or even just dirty.

Connman said:   Still rockin' my 1984 J C Penney/Panasonic.  Big, a bit under-powered, heavier than heavy, and requires a little thumping now and again to keep it working, but dollar-for dollar, a great buy, even if I have had to replace the inside light bulb a couple of times.  I get nervous thinking about the options that are available for when we need to replace it.

I have one that I bought at the JC Penney store in Manhattan, when I used to work as an E.E. for JC Penney. It's the same age as yours. I think it was built by Goldstar. I am thinking, that was a Korean company. Mine is a bit under powered also. The top has a cover of plastic mesh, which has torn a little. Not sure if I can replace it. I too, am afraid of buying a new one, because they don't last. I stay away from the Microwave oven, when I am using it.

I have a Frigidaire model FFCM0724LW. It's on the small size but the light comes on once you open the door. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Why is TP white?

Marvinomatic said:   I have one that I bought at the JC Penney store in Manhattan, when I used to work as an E.E. for JC Penney. It's the same age as yours. I think it was built by Goldstar. I am thinking, that was a Korean company. Mine is a bit under powered also. The top has a cover of plastic mesh, which has torn a little. Not sure if I can replace it. I too, am afraid of buying a new one, because they don't last. I stay away from the Microwave oven, when I am using it.
Goldstar is now known as L-G, which stands for Lucky Goldstar.  

You're the first E.E. I've heard of who's expressed reluctance to be near running microwave ovens with choke-sealed doors.  Are the ovens that much of a hazard?

So my microwave is loud. Probably louder than it should be. After about 5 minutes of running it hums but a lot quieter. Should I be worried?

Took son's old micro to the transfer station yesterday. Attendant instructed me that it should go in the metals recycling dumpster.

This is one of those ~25ft big ones, down below ground level. I hoisted it over my head and put my best 3-point shot effort into it, made the best sound crashing down on an abandoned fluorescent light fixture in the bottom of the nearly empty receptacle from a peak height of about 18 feet.

Didn't need any microwave help yesterday.

I think it was about 2004 when my last microwave broke. It was about fifteen years old and had survived numerous moves and back and forths from college. (It was a Kenmore because my Dad was a loyal Saers shopper and he disapproved of the choice I made at another store and I didn't want to hear about it. So, while it wasn't the one I wanted, it lasted and put up with some abuse from the moves.
When I went looking for a new one, I was also appalled at how flimsy they were compared to years before. Several people I knew at the time were having lousy luck with their new microwave purchases. They weren't lasting a year and often much less.
Naturally, the one I wanted wasn't in stock and would take a week to come in and I didn't want to wait. This was at BB and the manager said she give me the next model up at the same price and again, even though I didn't particularly want it, I bought it. I didn't like it even though it was esentially the same, only bigger. I was counting on the year long shelf life my friends were experiencing.
It still works although two of the numbers stopped working a few months ago.
I figure my next microwave shopping trip will be interesting.

scrouds said:   So my microwave is loud. Probably louder than it should be. After about 5 minutes of running it hums but a lot quieter. Should I be worried?
It could explode! LOL   No! It's probably rattling because of the Magnetron Capacitor, Transformer, The chassis, etc.  
If it stops working, buy another one. You probably knew that, already! LOL  

larrymoencurly said:   
Marvinomatic said:   I have one that I bought at the JC Penney store in Manhattan, when I used to work as an E.E. for JC Penney. It's the same age as yours. I think it was built by Goldstar. I am thinking, that was a Korean company. Mine is a bit under powered also. The top has a cover of plastic mesh, which has torn a little. Not sure if I can replace it. I too, am afraid of buying a new one, because they don't last. I stay away from the Microwave oven, when I am using it.
Goldstar is now known as L-G, which stands for Lucky Goldstar.  

You're the first E.E. I've heard of who's expressed reluctance to be near running microwave ovens with choke-sealed doors.  Are the ovens that much of a hazard?

"Goldstar is now known as L-G, which stands for Lucky Goldstar" That I didn't know!

I stand about 3 ft away, just as a precaution. I don't believe I'll get brain cancer, or other things.

<<  had survived numerous moves and back and forths >> 

Emerson 600w.
bought at WM about $27.00 in 2001.

The highest wattage that can be used with a 1000w generator.
So, we bought 2, just in case.

We live in an Airstream trailer, on the road 3 months a year:  that microwave has traveled well over 50 000 miles
We are talking the roads in the North East - like New York States, PA, VT,....

Early  2016, that MW died, so we used its twin.

This Summer, we thought it had died too ..... found out there was a problem with the outlet ....
I don't want to think that the 1st one was still alive when it was carelessly dumped after such a great life. 

[Yes, it has THE light]

scrouds said:   So my microwave is loud. Probably louder than it should be. After about 5 minutes of running it hums but a lot quieter. Should I be worried?
Unplug the AC cord, loosen all the screws holding the cover in place, and push it forward, down, and inward while tightening the screws, starting with the screws on back.  But there may be pinch clamps all around the front, similar to those in the side panels of some desktop computers, and maybe you have to remove the cover  (maybe you can get by with just sliding it back a few inches) and pinching those clamps.  Stay away from that flattened cylinder about the size of a pack of cigarettes because it's the high voltage (4,000 volts) capacitor and can retain charge even after the oven has been turned off and unplugged for days, and this is high-current high voltage that can literally kill you.  There's supposed to be a bleeder resistor inside to drain down the voltage in about 30 seconds, but it often fails after years of use).  If you can be sure to avoid that capacitor and any related wiring (some goes between the big transformer and that capacitor, other to the magnetron tube, you may want to see if the cooling fan for the magnetron and the plastic shrouding for it have any loose screws.  

larrymoencurly said:   
Unplug the AC cord, loosen all the screws holding the cover in place, and push it forward, down, and inward while tightening the screws, starting with the screws on back.  But there may be pinch clamps all around the front, similar to those in the side panels of some desktop computers, and maybe you have to remove the cover  (maybe you can get by with just sliding it back a few inches) and pinching those clamps.  Stay away from that flattened cylinder about the size of a pack of cigarettes because it's the high voltage (4,000 volts) capacitor and can retain charge even after the oven has been turned off and unplugged for days, and this is high-current high voltage that can literally kill you.  There's supposed to be a bleeder resistor inside to drain down the voltage in about 30 seconds, but it often fails after years of use).  If you can be sure to avoid that capacitor and any related wiring (some goes between the big transformer and that capacitor, other to the magnetron tube, you may want to see if the cooling fan for the magnetron and the plastic shrouding for it have any loose screws.  

I don't even want to take it off the wall.  Next time it comes down its getting replaced.

larrymoencurly said:   scrouds said:   So my microwave is loud. Probably louder than it should be. After about 5 minutes of running it hums but a lot quieter. Should I be worried?

Please, please, anyone reading this, do not be opening and playing with things that can kill you. That is bad advice on any public forum.

DonnieDuck said:   
atikovi said:   

It doesn't matter how light or dark my kitchen is. It is just unbelievable, that in 2016, companies would STOP putting this feature in their microwave ovens. I will not be using a flashlight because of inept manufacturers.

The point is most find this "feature" to be an unnecessary waste of energy.  You need internal lighting to see in through the closed door, but with the door open the ambient lighting should be plenty adequate to see in the oven.

MilleniumBuc said:   larrymoencurly said:   scrouds said:   So my microwave is loud. Probably louder than it should be. After about 5 minutes of running it hums but a lot quieter. Should I be worried?

Please, please, anyone reading this, do not be opening and playing with things that can kill you. That is bad advice on any public forum.

I ain't afraid of no capacitor. Plus I do gunsmithing and work on my cars, so the whole don't open things that can kill you is already out the window.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.
But - Best Microwave experiments are Russian experiments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g91xkISmp2g

They also do some nice capacitor work in some other use the force style lightning videos

<<  but with the door open the ambient lighting should be plenty adequate to see in the oven. >>

right. 

let's see what you think about that in 30 years, or 50 , or ....

A lot of appliances, cell phones,... , were designed by 25 years old, planning that their 50 year old parents will use them, and being used by their 85 year old grand parents.

Like: "hold that button for 6 seconds"  - a black on a black background button [like those on hearing aids contraption used by my 96 y mother in law]

or white, light rocker switches on white wall , used in nursing homes.

..... or no light when opening MW. 

MilleniumBuc said:   
larrymoencurly said:   

What was incorrect about my advice, other than the fact I didn't warn to reinstall the cabinet cover completely before plugging in the AC again?  

When you tell people simply to not do something, some will go ahead anyway -- the wrong way, and get into even more trouble than if they weren't given correct instructions.

MilleniumBuc said:   

I second this.  Was not going to even bring it up that on my first microwave oven (one of those huge Turkey Size ones (that I never cooked a turkey in anyway)), it also had the touchpad like the Emerson I replaced it with.  Paid $500 bucks for in in 1975 which was a good price at the time.  Having invested that much, when it started acting up and not working intermittently,  Took it into a repair shop where they charged me over $130 and it only worked another 2-3 months before the same issues appeared again.  Talking to some guys at work, they told me to wiggle around the pin connectors (which seemed loose).  They did warn me to discharge the capacitor (after unplugging it) and how to do this.  Take a metal piece and tape it to a LONG wood yardstick and short the 2 contacts across.  (Microwave didnt work so had nothing to lose anyway). 

WELL the electric ark darn near melted the tape and the SPARK and smell of the electrical discharge was unbelievable.  While that worked, I gained a new respect for poking around inside a electrical item even if the plug is unplugged.  Not ever again. 

I did fix the oven until something else went south later by tightening the pin connection by cutting some stranded wire small pieces and placing them in the connection holes in the plug before pushing the connector back on the pins which made for a real tight connection.  Item worked this way for about another 2 years before it just quit and that is when I bought the Emerson (for $111.00) which was less than the repair that did not work for very long anyway on the Litton. 

REALLY, dont mess with the innards of these unless you want to take your life in your own hands.

Uhhhh I can't imagine that would be a good idea to discharge a capacitor like that.

I would only short something like that if I thought it was already discharged and just wanted to be sure.

Skipping 4 Messages...
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/breville-quick-touch-mic...

Breville Quick Touch Microwave

Reliable, High-tech and efficient

Yes light comes on when opening door, closing the door and heating food. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017