time to kill, so car insurance shopping

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
was on hold with Dell trying to fix my new laptop so i decided to kill time by auto insurance shopping.
and wow! what a ride! same drivers, cars and coverage. been with Ameriprise through Costco for over 15 years now.
company 6 mo premium
Ameriprise $326
Metromile $614
Esurance $570
Wawanesa $1412

the most interesting thing i learned was that mrs. miserly and i were both born on Thursday.

ETA
Nationwide $819

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Is the car insurance in case you have an accident during the getaway?

Do you not bundle your home owners with your auto and other stuff. Costco wouldn't insure my house, so it's a no go for me with their auto rates The bundling discount is more than the Costco savings

I did shopping for insurance when my home insurance shot up at what I thought was an unreasonable increase last year. At that time, I had just purchased a new 2016 car so was unsure how the new car would also increase the premium at that time. Like ganda, I bundle home and cars and have been with State Farm for 37 years so my longevity and bundle discount is substantial. (But I still thought it was too high). Boy, did I get an eyeopener when I shopped. Mind you I was looking at House insurance but they all wanted to bundle my cars with the quotes (but car policy's were not up for another 3-4 months time).

Seems Car insurance is obviously relative to the type of car, the age of the drivers, accident history, the coverage you select and also the limits of liability. What I did not know about the car insurance is it is also based on ZIP CODE you live in and the accidents or thefts that occur in that Zip code. A bit unfair if you ask me because I live in an Zip where 3 major Expy/Tollways pass thru and there are always accidents on these multiple times a day from people not paying attention to their driving it seems. That jacked up the car rate quotes from the other company's I checked (a lot) even though we are claim free for decades. We are being punished for the misdeeds of others (vandalism and accidents ) of those who probably live elsewhere.

Perhaps like us, you get a longevity discount from Ameriprise like we do from State Farm so that could be the big difference but what I found out was that the others who claim low prices were no bargain to what I had with State Farm so I stayed with them (but I still think I pay too much for my claim free history). It is a system rigged against us it seems.

Oh and my new 2016 cars premium for 6 mos with the discounts is $274, (up $54 from my 2005 prior car)
Wifes 2007 car for 6 mos is $198 (House $796.)

Good Luck in your hunt.

Awesome book.. A Time To Kill.
Also love The Rainmaker, The Client, The Testament, etc etc.

I shopped around a couple of years ago and still have the best bundled rate with State Farm.

I had a very minor backing-into a car in a parking lot incident earlier this year, after which both both the driver and her passenger filed injury claims so I'm sure my premium will increase and my Good Driver discount will be gone as well. I'm thinking about filing a fraud complaint with the state insurance commission against those 2 people but haven't done so yet. There was no damage to my car, it was that slight of an impact. The driver got +$2000 for repairs of a vehicle so damaged already that she must be doing this for a living. The other red flag for me is that she had an attorney representing her to the insurance company. Now why would she need that? I carry full coverage plus medical and she has the same insurer so could see what my coverage includes, I suppose. Cha-ching! At least they were each forced to sign a release in order to get the injury money so they can't sue me. People suck.

kirbydog said:   I shopped around a couple of years ago and still have the best bundled rate with State Farm.

I had a very minor backing-into a car in a parking lot incident earlier this year, after which both both the driver and her passenger filed injury claims so I'm sure my premium will increase and my Good Driver discount will be gone as well. I'm thinking about filing a fraud complaint with the state insurance commission against those 2 people but haven't done so yet. There was no damage to my car, it was that slight of an impact. The driver got +$2000 for repairs of a vehicle so damaged already that she must be doing this for a living. The other red flag for me is that she had an attorney representing her to the insurance company. Now why would she need that? I carry full coverage plus medical and she has the same insurer so could see what my coverage includes, I suppose. Cha-ching! At least they were each forced to sign a release in order to get the injury money so they can't sue me. People suck.

how much injury $$$ was paid to each?

yurgreat said:   
kirbydog said:   I shopped around a couple of years ago and still have the best bundled rate with State Farm.

how much injury $$$ was paid to each?

I have $100,000 in coverage and sarcastically asked the auditor if they each took $50K and was told that they did not. @@

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017