What smartphone do you have? How long have you had it for? Are you happy with your choice?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
3 simple questions.

- What smartphone do you have?
- How long have you had it for?
- Are you happy with your choice?

I currently have a Moto G (2014 edition) that I've been using for 2 years now.. but now am looking for something to replace it with. Right now I do not have a preference Android or iOS wise.. but I do not want something with windows phone since that would not interact with various chromecast apps that I use a lot

So what do y'all use?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
IPhone 5c. Blue. I got it - used - less than 2 years ago to replace my trusty flip phone. All I need is a phone that takes and makes calls, use it very little for anything else. Will hold onto this as long as it works. I'm old school...

Home cell: 48GB(16GB onboard+32GB card) Samsung Galaxy s5 on Android 6 Marshmallow
March 2015
Hardware and software are great, OkGoogle search is great

Work cell: 16 GB iPhone 6 on iOS10
May 2016
Hardware is visibly slower than my Galaxy s5, Apple has no single button to exit apps or dedicated back button like Android, Siri search isn't very good, can text over wifi to other iOS, can't add storage

I plan to drop the home cell in March when my contract is up, with a free phone there's no sense paying for a phone that I really only use on the weekend now.

- A black Motorola that's too basic for Pokemon apparently.
- A couple of years.
- It lives in the car. The battery lasts a long time and it makes calls, happy with that.

1. iPhone 7 plus
2. 2 days
3. Happy with it so far and was happy with all my previous iPhones. 

iPhone 5c; salmon colored. I use AT&T and bought the phone for $0.99 but I had to pay a $40 upgrade fee. When I can get the same deal for the iPhone 6, I'll do the same thing.

Oneplus 3.
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1514666?showmes...

Only thing that's changed with my review I copied below is it's been almost 3 months now, and everything I said about it still stand, and the camera is pretty dang awesome.

I do BYOD with Cricket.

I've had my Oneplus 3 for a little over a week now, moving from a Moto X 1st gen. Initial impressions are "HOLY CRAP THIS PHONE IS BLAZING FAST". The battery life has been great, call quality also. The dash charging has changed how I charge my phone completely. I no longer need to leave it plugged in over night.

Coming from the Moto X, this phone is huuuuge, and I was worried I wouldn't like it due to the size, but the phone is really comfortable in my hand, and just feels like a premium phone.

Oneplus uses a light skin over the stock Android OS, called Oxygen OS. It adds a few small tweaks/customizations that actually seem to add to the OS, not detract from it.

The only thing I really miss coming from the Moto are the voice commands that Moto did.

I did really want to wait and get the new Moto Z, but my X was really dying (random restarts, battery dying by noon, which started happening after an Android security update a few months ago). I couldn't wait for the unlocked version to come along in the fall. After using this phone though, I'm happy with it.

TL;DR version
Super happy with the Oneplus 3 that I've had a little over a week now.

HTC M8 Windows,

My only phone, given by work. But they are migrating to iPhone 6S. I really like Win Phone OS but it's going to be orphaned soon. I'm holding out until our IT have a android option.

I could do BYOD but they don't reimburse the entire amount. For work I need to have Verizon and they are not cheap.

lg g4. great pictures, but 2 have died.
i'm going back to my note (had a 2 will get the new 7) next year. i really miss having a pen and able to mark up photos or draw and markup pdf's. i use to do that almost everyday for work.

LG G4. It does recently but AT&T sent me a new one (under warranty). Still a good phone, but slightly on the large size.

As a back-up I have a ZTE ZMAX2. Bought it at Best Buy for $50. Also paid $10 for an unlock code.

Motorola cell phone, cover of Popular Science magazine, July, 1973
Disclaimer
Motorola

KayK said:   I currently have a Moto G (2014 edition) that I've been using for 2 years now.
I've had cellphones for probably 20 years but only switched to smartphones 6 months ago. Not really happy with them. My main phone is a Moto E. 
Main gripes:
1) Bulkier and heavier than my old Sanyo phone
2) Takes two hands to answer phone
3) Doesn't always answer, keep swiping my finger over the screen but damn thing doesn't answer. Have to call caller back.
4) Biggest gripe, if I don't keep the phone on me, I can't tell if anyone called, left a message or left a text, such as if I leave the phone on the kitchen table and do yard work for an hour, I have to awaken the phone and see if I have anything. My old dumb phone with an LCD display would show I had 2 calls or 2 messages plus a light flashes when someone left a message.

Samsung Galaxy S3 for Sprint. I bought it in April 2015 for almost $100 refurb. It has 16GB of internal storage. I am very happy with it. I had to buy spare batteries to keep rotating around b/c w/ an Android smartphone, the charge does not last very long. I can go through 3 cheap batteries in a day.

"Modern" Phone
Disclaimer
I'm thinking of finally upgrading my home phone to one with a real dial. I'm getting tired of cranking my current phone and asking the operator to connect me.  This beauty fits my requirements.

Oneplus one. Very happy. Oneplus has some of the best phones you can buy in the 200-300 range.

I've had my OnePlus One on Cricket for about two years now and I still love it as much as the day I got it. The battery life isn't what it once was, but I still get through the day with plenty to spare. Sometimes I get through two days when I forget to charge it....

SecondGunman said:   I've had my OnePlus One on Cricket for about two years now and I still love it as much as the day I got it. The battery life isn't what it once was, but I still get through the day with plenty to spare. Sometimes I get through two days when I forget to charge it....
For my usage I can't get a full normal day out of a change, even when brand new. I play too many games

My only gripe about getting a One Plus device is it's customer support.. From what I've heard it leaves a lot to be desired.

Phones that I'm looking at include Sony xa series, Xiaomi Mi5s, iPhone SE.

Eta..BYOD here too.. I've been BYOD since around 2010

Also considering motog g4 because its one of the few phones I can run on ringplus until they die.

son had LG G4 - used off eBay / still repaired after warranty date for free (21 day turn around). everyone else in the house has used eBay LG G3's (removable battery, expandable memory) - all on RingPlus. All about a year - get a bit warm and are aggressive battery users when using camera (with phone running) last forever when in airplane mode, but you can actually carry around extra batteries. More recently I poured a whole glass of ice-water directly into the headphone jack (accidentally) - after a couple of weeks of using apps to make the phone think there wasn't a headphone plug in use (shorted) I purchased a replacement headphone jack for $5, easiest install ever. Oh and don't leave them face to face at night while charging because one phone may dial 911 while the other locks up from bad password guesses.

Also have a moto-E that we rarely use - it Really lasts forever on a battery. Used to have Moto-x (republic wireless) sold fairly well on eBay.
Prior to that it was all tracfone flip phones.

KayK said:   My only gripe about getting a One Plus device is it's customer support.. From what I've heard it leaves a lot to be desired.

I've also heard the same thing about it's support.  I haven't needed to use their support though (like most people won't need to). 

MVP9596 said:   KayK said:   My only gripe about getting a One Plus device is it's customer support.. From what I've heard it leaves a lot to be desired.

I've also heard the same thing about it's support.  I haven't needed to use their support though (like most people won't need to). 
If something like Galaxy 7 or Note 7 recall were to happen to OnePlus.. would they react the same way? I dont think so.
They would wave the white flag and declare bankruptcy. Those who bought their devices would lose their money.
Samsung waved the white flag and decided to refund money. Like how a company should.

KayK said:   
MVP9596 said:   
KayK said:   My only gripe about getting a One Plus device is it's customer support.. From what I've heard it leaves a lot to be desired.

If something like Galaxy 7 or Note 7 recall were to happen to OnePlus.. would they react the same way? I dont think so.
They would wave the white flag and declare bankruptcy. Those who bought their devices would lose their money.
Samsung waved the white flag and decided to refund money. Like how a company should.

That's theoretically possible with any smaller company.  Fortunately, that hasn't happened to OnePlus, and it DID happen to Samsung.

Of the phones you're looking at, I've heard good things about the Xiaomi Mi5, not so much great stuff about the SE or Sony phones.

KayK said:   MVP9596 said:   KayK said:   My only gripe about getting a One Plus device is it's customer support.. From what I've heard it leaves a lot to be desired.

Samsung waved the white flag and decided to refund money. Like how a company should.

Amex will give me my money back. I'm not worried

1) iPhone 5c
2) Three weeks
3) This is my first smartphone! I'm officially part of the 21st century! Yay!!!!

MVP9596 said:   That's theoretically possible with any smaller company.  Fortunately, that hasn't happened to OnePlus, and it DID happen to Samsung.

Of the phones you're looking at, I've heard good things about the Xiaomi Mi5, not so much great stuff about the SE or Sony phones.
Very interesting. I would have expected good stuff about XA and SE.. and not the Mi5s.
Dont see much stuff online about XA and Mi5s.. but the only negatives I have seen about SE are lack of 3d touch and lack of a row of icons. To be honest.. I'm currently towards SE right now.. and that's coming from someone who has had Android phones since June 2012.
scrouds said:   Amex will give me my money back. I'm not worriedAmex only covers for 90 days. I'd rather have a more concrete return/refund policy.

KayK said:   MVP9596 said:   That's theoretically possible with any smaller company.  Fortunately, that hasn't happened to OnePlus, and it DID happen to Samsung.

Very interesting. I would have expected good stuff about XA and SE.. and not the Mi5s.
Dont see much stuff online about XA and Mi5s.. but the only negatives I have seen about SE are lack of 3d touch and lack of a row of icons. To be honest.. I'm currently towards SE right now.. and that's coming from someone who has had Android phones since June 2012.
scrouds said:   Amex will give me my money back. I'm not worriedAmex only covers for 90 days. I'd rather have a more concrete return/refund policy.

90 days is generous. I don't buy first day, let other people be the ginea pigs. If I wait a few month hopefully major issues are flushed out in that 6 month period.

If that doesn't work and I can't get warranty support, I would also hit up Amex for their extended warranty.

Samsung Note 5 I am glad this one does not blow up.

Samsung Galaxy S3. I like it just fine and have had it for probably +3 years now. I would like to go up to the S5 but it's not an urgent purchase. 

iphone 6. IDK, about 2years, I think. It's ok.

Samsung Galaxy S5
Since late June of this year
Yes as it is faster, lighter, & better than my previous phone

Samsung Note 4. For about 2 years.

Bought the Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus yesterday. The 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM version.

Wont get LTE, but that is fine for me. I'm somewhere with WiFi almost all day long.

Iffy support wise (since phone is not sold in US) but wanted something a couple months newer with a better chipset.

Comparision with OnePlus 3 and Google Pixel XL
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7995&idPhone2=8350&idPhone3=8345

KayK said:   Bought the Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus yesterday. The 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM version.

Wont get LTE, but that is fine for me. I'm somewhere with WiFi almost all day long.

Iffy support wise (since phone is not sold in US) but wanted something a couple months newer with a better chipset.

Let me know what you think.  I haven't looked into the performance gains of the 821 over the 820.

MVP9596 said:   KayK said:   Bought the Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus yesterday. The 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM version.

Let me know what you think.  I haven't looked into the performance gains of the 821 over the 820.
Only thing I can compare it with is the Snapdragon 400 of my 2014 Moto G or Snapdragon 808 of my wife's Nexus 5x.

KayK said:   
MVP9596 said:   
KayK said:   Bought the Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus yesterday. The 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM version.

Only thing I can compare it with is the Snapdragon 400 of my 2014 Moto G or Snapdragon 808 of my wife's Nexus 5x.

Well, I meant let me know what you think about the phone in general.

MVP9596 said:   
KayK said:   
MVP9596 said:   

Well, I meant let me know what you think about the phone in general.

My friend.. if you feel more comfortable.. we can Converse in Klingon 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017