• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
To commute 1.25 miles each way.

ETA apprently it is 2.6 miles each way.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Tree fiddy.

rated:
$300ish for a good used quality commuter style (dutch) bicycle. Can go for a hybrid too. You'll want to avoid mountain bikes and road bikes
Either find someone local that knows about bicycles or find a shop. It's important to get the right size for your height. Buy a WalMart bike at your peril.

rated:
scrouds said:   $300ish for a good used quality commuter style (dutch) bicycle. Can go for a hybrid too. You'll want to avoid mountain bikes and road bikes
Either find someone local that knows about bicycles or find a shop. It's important to get the right size for your height. Buy a WalMart bike at your peril.

  was looking at used Priority bike for $200 but see that they are on sale on their website for $300. very tempted.

rated:
If you are looking for a casual on-the-street bike, PUBLIC brand has some good models and the quality seems there. They are heavy bikes, though. I was thinking about buying one to keep at the office so I could ride for quick errands or do a quick ride on local trails for exercise. I got a trainer for my mountain bike because the reality of me doing work errands on a bike are zero. I rarely have time to take a lunch break even so I'm not going to have time to ride for an errand that I can drive to instead. PUBLIC bikes

 

rated:

. (11.68kB)
Disclaimer
If you have novelty facial hair and un-ironically wear a hat, you'd better get a single speed bike or you'll be shunned at the artisanal pickle co-op.

rated:
Remember to get a helmet.

rated:
I looked at public but I like the weight and belt drive on the priority. And price! Though they are built on the wrong coast.

rated:
miserly said:   To commute 1.25 miles each way.
How much to spend on spandex and powerbars?

rated:
ganda said:   If you have novelty facial hair and un-ironically wear a hat, you'd better get a single speed bike or you'll be shunned at the artisanal pickle co-op.
No pickles!

rated:
kamalktk said:   ganda said:   If you have novelty facial hair and un-ironically wear a hat, you'd better get a single speed bike or you'll be shunned at the artisanal pickle co-op.
No pickles!

Yes pickles!

rated:
miserly said:   I looked at public but I like the weight and belt drive on the priority. And price! Though they are built on the wrong coast.
  Sold locally?
I like the buying-from-PUBLIC-directly aspect. They seemed knowledgeable about their products. I did a test ride out at Jack London Square one day but decided that my bike is still a better fit and that I didn't really need to spend the money. I got the trainer used for $120, I think.. 

rated:
I looked at the priority, impressed but not 100%

The good:
internal gear hub and belt drive - crazy at the price point.
Upright stance

The not so good: only a coaster brake. I would want a front rim as well as a rear backup.
3 speeds is light for hilly areas, but should be fine for most commutes and most people


Base model doesn't have rack and fenders. Rack not completely necessary but fenders are. I like baskets to hold stuff. Not everyone will need that.
Chain (or belt) case. Keep your pant leg from getting caught or dirty.

Needs an air horn (seriously, I recommend a horn)
Lights. Get decent ones. Don't forget to keep charged. I have a dynamo hub in the shed waiting to be built into a front wheel, but that's an expensive option.

Normally I recommend getting someone to build a shipped bike, but there isn't much to adjust. Get the handlebar and seat height right. Hope the shifter comes pre adjusted. A 3 speed hub shouldn't be troublesome, but a traditional shifter can be.

rated:
How about bike direct? I got a carbon road bike from them and it was a good value. You will need someone local to tune it up for you but it comes 90% assembled.

At 1.25, it isn't a lot of exercise anyway unless it's uphill both way. Have you considered an Airwheel?

rated:
kamalktk said:   miserly said:   To commute 1.25 miles each way.
How much to spend on spandex and powerbars?

I definitely need a bike where I don't have to wear spandex. For the public good.

rated:
miserly said:   To commute 1.25 miles each way.
  Where do you live? Have you commuted by bike before? Even if just 1.25 miles, living in the mid atlantic you could really only do it 3-4 months out of the year. May-Sept. too hot and humid unless you can shower and change at work. Nov.-Feb. too cold. And what if it rains? If you're doing it to be green, get an electric car or just walk.

rated:
scrouds said:   
kamalktk said:   
ganda said:   If you have novelty facial hair and un-ironically wear a hat, you'd better get a single speed bike or you'll be shunned at the artisanal pickle co-op.
No pickles!

Yes pickles!

  

rated:
Miserly, if you want to talk shop about bikes and get advice, The Missing Link is a good shop in Berkeley even if you're just looking for a cruiser bike. If you are thinking about folding bikes to use on public trans, that is a whole different conversation. 1.25 miles is also easily walked unless it is hilly or dangerous somehow. Other advantages of walking are that there is nothing to lock up at your destination and there's no extra stuff like a helmet to carry around.

rated:
I bought my first mountain bike at missing link. It was a Specialized Rockhopper back in the day.
I have a crappie Diamondback hybrid bike now that has a rusted fork and chain. I shouldn't have bought it, but I did. Now I want a new bike and I like the belt on the Priority and was basically looking for validation from the OT crowd.

rated:
It's a cool bike. I want one lol, but it needs a real brake, not a kids brake.

rated:
miserly said:   I bought my first mountain bike at missing link. It was a Specialized Rockhopper back in the day.
I have a crappie Diamondback hybrid bike now that has a rusted fork and chain. I shouldn't have bought it, but I did. Now I want a new bike and I like the belt on the Priority and was basically looking for validation from the OT crowd.

  I hear you. I really wanted a new bike when I went out to look at PUBLIC, but I ultimately talked myself out of it and now I do not regret it. I'm basically too nervous to ride on the busy streets in this area and it's too hilly to ride at home. The trainer is perfect for my needs albeit not for the purpose of transportation.

rated:
1.25 miles? get good shoes .
In my experience buy about a $400 bike every 30 years but do some regular maintenance which may cost some money if you replace enough parts.

rated:
Walk. free.

rated:
walking takes 35 minutes, bike takes less than 15. taking the MUNI takes betwen 15 and 70 minutes depending on whatever the hell is going on. i don't always feel like walking 2.6 miles.
for some reason i thought it was 1.25 miles, but no, it's 2.6.

as for brakes, they sell a separate brake to add to the front. i might get it with the fenders.

rated:
I spent $800 on my bike, and love it.
It has disc breaks, which make it really easy to remove the tires as needed.
Plus it's very light.

rated:
Crown Vic or nothing!

rated:
camiolo said:   I spent $800 on my bike, and love it.
It has disc breaks, which make it really easy to remove the tires as needed.
Plus it's very light.

  Nothing special about disc brakes and they seem to be more gimmick than anything else.

rated:
debating between glossy dark blue or matte black color

rated:
PUBLIC Bikes on sale $299 for a 7 speed. really tempted.

rated:
miserly said:   PUBLIC Bikes on sale $299 for a 7 speed. really tempted.
  I greened the heck out of the HD thread.

rated:
ok. was checking out the momentum bikes at my local bike shop. really liked it. and comes with lifetime tuning att he LBS. bought lil miserly bike there. priority dropped their price back down to $300 and now the same price and LBS and get more accessories (fender, brake, light and lock). while i really like the LBS option with the service and tuning, the priority bike has no belt to rust. did i mention, i dumped my old bike because it was totally rusted? yeah, the ferry ride with the salt water will do that. it's a toss up between the momentum and priority with lifetime tuning or no tuning needed (some still needed) i'm going with the priority. part of it is the belt drive.
PUBLIC Bikes still on sale for $300 for a 7 speed. i can pick up locally. nice looking, but too hipster for me.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016