• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I've been trying to convince my Dad to get off of cable TV (which he pays over $100 a month to have service).

What's the easiest and cheapest way to watch TV on your HDTV (his is 70") w/ just internet service (cancelling cable TV)?  I'm okay w/ buying a device to connect to the HDTV to achieve that.  Even a monthly rate is OK so long as it's not expensive.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Pipe OT to your dad's TV and tell him it's a new channel.

/hilarity ensues.

rated:
Many TVs are wireless enabled, and able to connect to the house network to stream, say, Netflix or hulu. But that's not free.

rated:
It'll also depend on what he watches. If he mainly watches movies, cutting cables may be easy to do, but if he enjoys live TV (sports, etc), there may not be that many options..

rated:
My Dad likes watching documentaries. He does like movies too and some TV shows.

Maybe a Kodi box would do the trick?

rated:
Roku or Amazon fire with psvue or slingTV.

rated:
Start with a good over the air antenna.
For more choices, Netflix streamed with a Chromecast.

rated:
SlingTV / PSVue / USTVNow

rated:
USTVNOW at $99/$199 month is no good option

rated:

KayK said:   SlingTV / PSVue / USTVNow
FrugalFreaky;19678783 said:USTVNOW at $99/$199 month is no good option

SlingTV / PSVue look like good options.  Hulu is probably a good option too.  They don't have CWTV, but I assume he probably doesn't care about that.  

I'm not sure how their DVR service works.  I hope it isn't that painful onDemand stuff doesn't allow for FF.

rated:
FrugalFreaky said:   USTVNOW at $99/$199 month is no good optionUm.. with a $29/month plan ($19 for first 3 months) you get following channels:

ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, My9, A&E, Animal Planet, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, ESPN, FX, Fox News, History, Lifetime, National Geographic, Nickelodeon, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TNT, USA, AMC.

Add $10 a month if you want DVR.

rated:
KayK said:   
FrugalFreaky said:   USTVNOW at $99/$199 month is no good option
Um.. with a $29/month plan ($19 for first 3 months) you get following channels:

ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, My9, A&E, Animal Planet, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, ESPN, FX, Fox News, History, Lifetime, National Geographic, Nickelodeon, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TNT, USA, AMC.

that is ONLY for those out of the country serving or other legally. For those inside the USA it is prices I mentioned.

"USTVNow is intended as a free service exclusively for Americans living overseas. We do not delete anything from the original broadcast, cable or satellite TV feeds streamed to users, including commercials. USTVNow also offers a paid service with additional channels and DVR capability. The service in the continental U.S.A. is available as a TV anywhere service in *combination with a regular cable subscription from USTVNow cable partners*."

rated:
riznick said:   

KayK said:   SlingTV / PSVue / USTVNow
FrugalFreaky;19678783 said:USTVNOW at $99/$199 month is no good option

SlingTV / PSVue look like good options.  Hulu is probably a good option too.  They don't have CWTV, but I assume he probably doesn't care about that.  

I'm not sure how their DVR service works.  I hope it isn't that painful onDemand stuff doesn't allow for FF.

with PSVue you CAN log in to standalone channel apps like CW, That is a big bonus for me.
apps you can access 
It isn't real DVR, You add a show as your favorite and it records them all when they air, you can't record a certain show one time. there is no guide on roku and there is absolutely no way to plan what to watch, or find something beyond knowing what you want to watch already. I use mine with TV guide http://www.tvguide.com/watchlist/ and http://titantv.com/ guide. I want to subscribe to slingTV since they auto record previous aired shows and has a guide but they won't fix closed captions.

rated:
FrugalFreaky said:   KayK said:   
FrugalFreaky said:   USTVNOW at $99/$199 month is no good option
Um.. with a $29/month plan ($19 for first 3 months) you get following channels:

that is ONLY for those out of the country serving or other legally. For those inside the USA it is prices I mentioned.

"USTVNow is intended as a free service exclusively for Americans living overseas. We do not delete anything from the original broadcast, cable or satellite TV feeds streamed to users, including commercials. USTVNow also offers a paid service with additional channels and DVR capability. The service in the continental U.S.A. is available as a TV anywhere service in *combination with a regular cable subscription from USTVNow cable partners*."
No it is not. There is nothing in Terms & Conditions of USTVNow that doesn't allow people within US to watch it.
There is a dropdown to select country while registering.. and you can pick US and it still works!
If USTVNow didn't want to allow customers from within US using it's service, it could easily geofence it.
I have used the service.. with my credit card.. and a NJ billing address.
The "overseas military only" is nothing but a pro-military gimmick.

rated:
Haven't had cable tv since 4ever. 

Paid for the cheapest internet so I can stream on my TVs.  Use a leaf antenna to watch all local HD channels.   Monthly bills for my internet is $15 + Netflix.  I don't even have Hulu because I can get Kodi on my AppleTV/Amazon Fire stick.

rated:
Most bang for the buck?  Android phone or tablet loaded with these three apps:  Chromecast, Localcast, and Terrarium TV.  You will need a Chromecast dongle ($30) to plug into the TV.  Once set up, Terrarium TV will give you all the shows you could ever want.  For local broadcasts, just hook an antenna to the TV.  Rarely do I watch network TV.  It's usually Terrarium, Youtube, or one of the online movie channels.  I paid nothing, other than for the Chromecast (which I got for $9 in a promotion) and I pay no monthly fees other than for my internet.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016