• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Boo!
Your spooky stories go below!

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
So a friend of mine got a new sports car and we took it to an old abandoned factory. Think square mile of pavement with an old shell of a structure like a giant airplane hangar (that you can often drive through). It's like a big empty parking lot, except bigger and emptier, and no one at all around that you can't see coming for a mile away. There is the odd abandoned car randomly here and there in them, and spots where people have dumped stuff over the years.

So with this giant playground for driving around in, we're amusing ourselves with sharp turns and flooring the pedal, when we noticed one of the old abandoned cars near a few others in the factory structure is a collectible older model and looks to be in pretty good shape since it's been sitting probably under a factory roof with probably 15-20 years of dust on it. We pull up to check it out.

The door is unlocked, and the old analog click in it is still ticking, and the car is making the kinds of noises older cars can when they've just been shut down, and it's still warm inside.

rated:
What type of car was it?

rated:
ganda said:   What type of car was it?
  Crown Vic?

rated:
  Dream car.

rated:
kamalktk said:   
  Dream car.

Didn't this happen in an old episode of Scooby Doo on an abandoned Army base? Meddlin' kids and all that.

eta: Velma figured it out

rated:
Christine's cousin?

rated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiqJqXNM8k

^this is as scary as it's gotten so far in my house
(a belated birthday present from a friend)

rated:
Zero kids last night. The weather was a bit wet for one thing. I'm glad because we had no treats in the house and I wasn't willing to give up any apples or pears for them to just throw away. Our next choice was the individually wrapped almond cookies, but my guy didn't want to give them up.

rated:
We had fewer than usual. I answered the door and there was a plastic cow on the stoop. I suspected the parents of DS17's best friend. They are always putting odd statuary in our cars and other similar pranks.

rated:
Zero kids. Good thing because I had zero candy. 

rated:
Slower than last year, but still had 600 kids. Before anyone asks, yes, we counted. We use one of those little hand counting things coaches use in gym class to count laps. Most of them were little kids in costumes. We had a few teenagers in street clothes, but not many. Not bad for a Monday night.

rated:
I had over 50% more kids this year than last year. I anticipated more because a lot of new residents moving in my subdivision, also some were tiny tots with mom in tow, probably first timers. Doorbell started ringing at 6:30 pm, last group came at about 8:15 pm. I had bought a lot of candy, so I was prepared.

For years I didn't have any trick-or-treators, lived in apt for 16 years where no outsiders came in unless they ringed you, and you released the door to let them in. Then 5 years in a neighborhood with no kids, just loads of partying college students gathered at the nearby frat and sorority houses (Do. Not. Miss.).

Now I live in a suburban townhouse subdivision, in a neighborhood that underwent a significant revitalization, so all the former section 8 rentals are gone, and numerous young families have bought homes and moved in. A neighborhood that was plagued with drugs and prostitution 5 to 25 years ago, is now a mix of young families, elderly and disabled people, with around 75% of the homes owner-owned. This neighborhood was also affected badly by the foreclosure crisis, leaving a number of units vacant.

There a 4 school buses passing through twice daily (3 public schools, 1 private academy with year-round classes), paratransit buses, the Mr Frosty ice cream truck, kids out playing. My street dead ends in a county park and conservation zone with a new playground and tennis courts, walking paths, and a ball field. Still a few houses on the market, with incentives for 1st time buyers below a certain income threshold, which will probably result in even more young families moving here.

Next year, I'll buy even more candy, I expect the amount of kids to be double what they were last year.

rated:
SecondGunman said:   Slower than last year, but still had 600 kids.

Why do you get so many? We had 2.

rated:
ganda said:   
SecondGunman said:   Slower than last year, but still had 600 kids.

Why do you get so many? We had 2.

I can't take the credit.  This is at a friend's house.  My neighborhood doesn't get many kids at all.  Her neighborhood is just known as the place to go to get candy.  It's an older, historic neighborhood, three blocks wide and four or five blocks long.  Parents bring their kids from all over town.  It's a very safe neighborhood with sidewalks (sidewalks are really rare in this town).  Halloween fell on an weekend last year if I'm remembering right.  There were four of us on her front porch passing out candy for three hours last year...  This year it was just the two of us.  We didn't count last year, but based on the count from last night I wouldn't be surprised at all if we had 800-1000 kids last year.

rated:
We got 7 kids, mrs_patsfan was disappointed, again. We're the 2nd house up a hill from a cross street in the development that gets all the action, and kids won't walk up one yard to get free candy. Been like this as long as we've owned the house. I've given up getting good candy, as no one takes it so I end up eating it. Bought the low end grab bag at the grocery, nothing I like so no temptation.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016