• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Until this election is over. I voted 2 weeks ago via absentee but J get so many things in my mail box everyday for all the propositions and board member and local election candidates.
I'm sure. I'm with many people when I say that I can't wait to be. Done with this cycle.

Things to consider before the next one:
Limit campaigning to 100 days - thus will reduce fatigue for everyone and limit the amount of money they can spend (and need to raise)
All primaries held in the same day - reduce importance of New Hampshire and Iowa
Abolish electoral college - make them campaign in all states, not just the battleground states

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I have wondered if we should limit voting to those under 80 (or similar). If you're 20 you're going to be living with the consequences of your vote much longer than an octogenarian is. I also would have no problem with upper age limits on candidates.

And election day should be a national holiday.

rated:
ganda said:   I have wondered if we should limit voting to those under 80 (or similar). If you're 20 you're going to be living with the consequences of your vote much longer than an octogenarian is. I also would have no problem with upper age limits on candidates.

Completely agree, AARP should not be driving the train. They had their chance.

And in mos other countries, the elections are held on a day that everything else is closed, except for essential services, and they vote before.

rated:
The age limit is an intriguing proposition. Can we change it to working/not working or collecting social security /not collecting to make it more directly related instead of age? If a person is working at 80, maybe he/she is entitle to vote.

rated:
miserly said:   The age limit is an intriguing proposition. Can we change it to working/not working or collecting social security /not collecting to make it more directly related instead of age? If a person is working at 80, maybe he/she is entitle to vote.

That's edging too close towards a Heinleinian (sp?) service before citizenship and voting rights for my taste. How many old people would Koch/Soros employ in swing states?

rated:
Agree. Forget about the electoral college. I'm sick of listening to all that strategizing on TV about which combinations of states will win.

Lower the voting age to 10. What adults are voting for will affect them as they grow up. Might as well let them have a say. The candidates sure aren't any smarter.

rated:
There should be an intelligence test...

rated:
And a test just as they would do if joining the service at their age. Can't lead the servicemen and servicewomen without any type of health or capacity testing. And of course, this needs to be implemented before the primaries, and they need to submit all their paperwork about their citizenship. It is a little funny that it was all the rage about Obama, but not a peep about proofing their citizenship for any of the candidates in the primaries (except for Cruz, which Trump brought up, and never settled). This is the highest job in the land, there should be a minimum form to fill out other than natural born citizen and over 35.

rated:
ganda said:   
miserly said:   The age limit is an intriguing proposition. Can we change it to working/not working or collecting social security /not collecting to make it more directly related instead of age? If a person is working at 80, maybe he/she is entitle to vote.

That's edging too close towards a Heinleinian (sp?) service before citizenship and voting rights for my taste. How many old people would Koch/Soros employ in swing states?

Would you like to know more?

rated:
george2001 said:   There should be an intelligence test...
Voter qualification testing has always been done very fairly.

rated:
I would like, instead of an age limit for politicians, a requirement for all presidential candidates to submit to and publish an mri.Reagan had Alzheimer's while in office, JFK had addisons, which meant he was taking a ton of steroids. We should check for degenerative nerve disease before letting someone run.

rated:
soundtechie said:   I would like, instead of an age limit for politicians, a requirement for all presidential candidates to submit to and publish an mri.Reagan had Alzheimer's while in office, JFK had addisons, which meant he was taking a ton of steroids. We should check for degenerative nerve disease before letting someone run.
  And mental illness. And drug addiction.

rated:
ganda said:   I have wondered if we should limit voting to those under 80 (or similar). If you're 20 you're going to be living with the consequences of your vote much longer than an octogenarian is. I also would have no problem with upper age limits on candidates.

Well, if we're going to start doing age limits then how about age limits on lawmakers?  Once you reach 55 you're out.  We'll never get term limits enacted, but at least we could put a limit on some of the "good ole boys club" membership.  Same thing with Supreme Court judges.  No way they should be in there for life.  That's just crazy!

rated:
miqie said:   

Well, if we're going to start doing age limits then how about age limits on lawmakers?  Once you reach 55 you're out.  We'll never get term limits enacted, but at least we could put a limit on some of the "good ole boys club" membership.  Same thing with Supreme Court judges.  No way they should be in there for life.  That's just crazy!

Given the current nomination process, we'd be down to two judges in no time.

rated:
Voting age=28 or 10 years work experience minimum, no max
Age for Pres, Sen candidate= 35+, max of 70, get rid of the House(they spend half of the 2 year term running for reelection and the other half generating pork)
Term limits: Pres 2, Senate 2, Supreme Court 12 years
Voting is important enough to require some effort, so voting day remains on week day, no early voting, no same day registration, photo ID required(state ID costs only $20 here in MA, no legitimate reason not to have one)
Campaigns can't start until Feb 1 of election year, primaries divided up onto the 4 Tuesdays in the month of June
No PACs or corporate money, individual contributions only, limited to $25K each

rated:
mapatsfan said:   Voting age=28 or 10 years work experience minimum, no max
Age for Pres, Sen candidate= 35+, max of 70, get rid of the House(they spend half of the 2 year term running for reelection and the other half generating pork)
Voting is important enough to require some effort, so voting day remains on week day, no early voting, no same day registration, photo ID required(state ID costs only $20 here in MA, no legitimate reason not to have one)
Campaigns can't start until Feb 1 of election year, primaries divided up onto the 4 Tuesdays in the month of June
Sign me up.. with one minor change.
Voting age, age to consume alcohol/tobacco and age to enlist in armed forces should be kept same.
You cant be an adult when it comes to one and not other.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   

No early voting combined with weekday voting would make it difficult for some of the working poor to vote. For a salaried professional taking a few hours away from the office to line up to vote isn't an issue, to a McDonald's worker worrying about paying next month's rent it may be. People shouldn't have to make a "pay the rent or vote" decision. You might as well bring back a poll tax if you want to deter the poor from voting.

rated:
KayK said:   

Voting age, age to consume alcohol/tobacco and age to enlist in armed forces should be kept same.

Age to serve in military=18, gets the vote at 19
Age to consume alcohol= back down to 18
Age to consume any tobacco product=21, increase fed tax from ~$1 to $5 per pack/can, states and local jurisdictions free to pile on more after that, remove any fed/state farming subsidy for tobacco

rated:
ganda said:   
mapatsfan said:   

No early voting combined with weekday voting would make it difficult for some of the working poor to vote. For a salaried professional taking a few hours away from the office to line up to vote isn't an issue, to a McDonald's worker worrying about paying next month's rent it may be. People shouldn't have to make a "pay the rent or vote" decision. You might as well bring back a poll tax if you want to deter the poor from voting.

Polls open 6am-8pm, 14 hours of polling allows people to find a way if they really want to vote.  If they're in line when doors close, they still get to vote; they made the effort.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   
KayK said:   

Age to serve in military=18, gets the vote at 19
Age to consume alcohol= back down to 18
Age to consume any tobacco product=21, increase fed tax from ~$1 to $5 per pack/can, states and local jurisdictions free to pile on more after that, remove any fed/state farming subsidy for tobacco

so either serve in the military or wait until you're thirty? Now that really is starship troopers!

rated:
No, not thirty.

serve in military, vote at 18
start working at 16-17, vote at 26-27
choose not to work, vote at 28

Avoid spoiled, entitled kids voting for stuff without understanding how the real world works by actually working. Get more mature voters with an incentive to work. The Senator from Vermont would have received very little support this year if this was in place(even though the primaries were fixed against him long before he got in the race); offers for free(to them) stuff would not be reflected in the voting populace.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   
ganda said:   
mapatsfan said:   

Polls open 6am-8pm, 14 hours of polling allows people to find a way if they really want to vote.  If they're in line when doors close, they still get to vote; they made the effort.

I'm suspicious of the motives of people who want make voting more difficult. A single working parent with 3 young children may find in person week day voting a challenge. What's the harm in allowing postal voting? We should encourage participation.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   No, not thirty.

Avoid spoiled, entitled kids voting for stuff without understanding how the real world works by actually working. Get more mature voters with an incentive to work. The Senator from Vermont would have received very little support this year if this was in place(even though the primaries were fixed against him long before he got in the race); offers for free(to them) stuff would not be reflected in the voting populace.

but changing the rules to prevent someone from voting a particular way is the definition of despotism.

rated:
ganda said:   What's the harm in allowing postal voting? We should encourage participation.
  A voting place is 5 miles away from our home, on a main highway.

Our voting place is 9 miles away, through back roads. Small, curvy & slippery with leaves.
Several possible itineraries, and using a Delorme atlas we got lost every time.

Other route is 15 miles, through "main" roads.

Many people around there are descendants of "40 acres and a mule" farmers and have been kept poor through low education [16% average illiteracy rate in the County], to make for a cheap workforce.

If they don't vote, they cannot hope to get a better future for their children. But, I am ready to bet that voting in person is a real hardship for most of them.

rated:
soundtechie said:   

but changing the rules to prevent someone from voting a particular way is the definition of despotism.

Actually, a country or political system where the ruler holds absolute power is the definition of despotism.  Government makes rules to make people do things a particular way all the time, the fed tax code, driver licenses, etc, still no cries despotism.  

Problem is there's a growing population that's decided it's a good thing to take a lot of "stuff" from productive people.  That's how the 2nd place finisher in the dem primaries did so well, promising young people a lot of free "stuff", that would have doubled the federal budget if enacted.  If people have to attempt to become productive before they start trying to take "stuff", maybe they'll they'll realize that nothing is as free as was promised.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   
soundtechie said:   

Actually, a country or political system where the ruler holds absolute power is the actual definition of despotism.  Government makes rules to make people do things a particular way all the time, the fed tax code, driver licenses, etc, still no cries despotism.  

Problem is there's a growing population that's decided it's a good thing to take a lot of "stuff" from productive people.  That's how the 2nd place finisher in the dem primaries did so well, promising young people a lot of free "stuff", that would have doubled the federal budget if enacted.  If people have to attempt to become productive before they start trying to take "stuff", maybe they'll they'll realize that nothing is as free as was promised.

and that's how most politicians operate, by pandering to voters. look at social security and medicare/medicaid . the 2 entitlement plans eat up about 60% of the federal budget. https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-... ever talks about reducing this because the OLD voters will hang them. so the OLD people are continually promised "stuff" until they die because they don't care even if they realize that nothing is as free as was promised.

Everybody loves free. But in reality, nothing is free, it's just paid for by someone else. And the perspective changes depending who is getting the "free" and who is paying for the "free". 

rated:
mapatsfan said:   Avoid spoiled, entitled kids voting for stuff without understanding how the real world works by actually working. Get more mature voters with an incentive to work. The Senator from Vermont would have received very little support this year if this was in place (even though the primaries were fixed against him long before he got in the race); offers for free(to them) stuff would not be reflected in the voting populace.
Why did those immature voters with little understanding of the real world tend to favor the most honest candidate?  What did those entitled kids understand that the more experienced voters who earned the privilege (voting not being a right in your world) did not?   And why did the most experienced and deserving voters tend to favor the most entitled, least experienced candidate?

rated:
mikebeets said:   
ganda said:   What's the harm in allowing postal voting? We should encourage participation.
  A voting place is 5 miles away from our home, on a main highway.

Our voting place is 9 miles away, through back roads. Small, curvy & slippery with leaves.
Several possible itineraries, and using a Delorme atlas we got lost every time.

Other route is 15 miles, through "main" roads.

Many people around there are descendants of "40 acres and a mule" farmers and have been kept poor through low education [16% average illiteracy rate in the County], to make for a cheap workforce.

If they don't vote, they cannot hope to get a better future for their children. But, I am ready to bet that voting in person is a real hardship for most of them.

Like mapatsfan I am confused? Why don't they plug the polling place address into the navigation of their new SUV? Even if their SUV is a few years old doesn't their iPhone 7 have navigation? They could stop on the way home and pick up a nice burrata, some arugula, and a Chablis for a Voting Day dinner! Make the effort FFS. 

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   
mapatsfan said:   Avoid spoiled, entitled kids voting for stuff without understanding how the real world works by actually working. Get more mature voters with an incentive to work. The Senator from Vermont would have received very little support this year if this was in place (even though the primaries were fixed against him long before he got in the race); offers for free(to them) stuff would not be reflected in the voting populace.
Why did those immature voters with little understanding of the real world tend to favor Bernie Sanders & Hillary Clinton?  What did those entitled kids understand that the more experienced voters  did not?   Bernie & Hillary promise free stuff, like college, instant doubling of minimum wages for no increase in work amount/quality/responsibility/market value, imaginary health care savings, citizenship for illegals, et cetera,  without a way to pay for any of it.   And why did the most experienced and deserving voters tend to favor Donald Trump?  They're tired of Washington political corruption, along with the personal corruption that Bernie and Hillary represent, specifically Bernie to the tune of tens of $M, and Hillary to the tune of several hundreds of $M.

fixed

rated:
ganda said:   
Why don't they plug the polling place address into the navigation of their new SUV? Even if their SUV is a few years old doesn't their iPhone 7 have navigation?
They could stop on the way home and pick up a nice burrata, some arugula, and a Chablis for a Voting Day dinner! Make the effort FFS. 

We are thought by many "local" people as some as these wealthy Northerners.

Let's see:
_ our mini van [bought used] is 14 years old. No GPS.
_ our Tracfone: no GPS either.
_ stop on the way home ?  nope, the other direction, a WM is 15 miles off the main highway.
Or we could stop at the mini-mart-gas station, 5 miles from home and get a hot-dog.

_ no idea what burrata & arugula are.
I sure know what chablis is, but I cannot afford the real stuff, only the 5 litre cardboard box.

rated:
ok. so am considering changing the title from 3 more days to 4 years to go!

rated:
KayK said:   mapatsfan said:   Voting age=28 or 10 years work experience minimum, no max

1 age of majority. For everything. Completely agree.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016