• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Not for president, but if you own property and pay taxes in another state, shouldn't you be allowed to vote for that state's governor and other politicians as well as bills and referendums? Otherwise, isn't it basically taxation without representation?   

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Yep. That is how it was back at the beginning of the Republic. Lets go back to those principles.

rated:
Your eligibility to vote on certain things is based on land ownership. A while back there was a county wide vote on whether or not to increase the annual "Vector control" fee on our tax bill. Each property owners vote counted depending on the value of your property. If you had a higher value piece property, your vote counted more.

rated:
Owning more property doesn't give you more votes. That's not how democracy works.

rated:
atikovi said:   Not for president, but if you own property and pay taxes in another state, shouldn't you be allowed to vote for that state's governor and other politicians as well as bills and referendums? Otherwise, isn't it basically taxation without representation?   
/Makes plans to sell a square foot of land in every state to people.

rated:
moonbeam said:   Owning more property doesn't give you more votes. That's not how democracy works.
  Didn't say more votes, just A vote. Being able to elect an official in another state where you pay taxes that shares your views on land use for example would have no effect on voting for someone in your home state.

rated:
moonbeam said:   Owning more property doesn't give you more votes.

Exactly.....
More wives do.

Get a wife in each state.
Tell them how to vote.
Profit!

rated:
Nope. One person, one residency, one vote, regardless of how much property you own and where.

rated:
No.

This is government by the people, not government by the parcel

rated:
atikovi said:   moonbeam said:   Owning more property doesn't give you more votes. That's not how democracy works.
  Didn't say more votes, just A vote. Being able to elect an official in another state where you pay taxes that shares your views on land use for example would have no effect on voting for someone in your home state.
Slippery slope.
I could buy 1 sq ft land from kamalktk in say Florida, Ohio and other swing states. Pay taxes on that sq ft. Should I be able to vote?

rated:
scrouds said:   No.

What if I live in Ohio but dont want to vote here and want to vote in Alaska because i care about an an issue there for some reason? I would cast just one vote.

rated:
kamalktk said:   scrouds said:   No.

What if I live in Ohio but dont want to vote here and want to vote in Alaska because i care about an an issue there for some reason? I would cast just one vote.

Make Alaska your home, your residency.

My understanding is that there is no federal law banning such voting practices. It is up to the individual states to determine who is allowed to vote on state and local questions.

There's even been talk about allowing illegals to vote on state and local matters in california. Nothing has happened yet but it remains that states right to determine its election criteria.

rated:
scrouds said:   
kamalktk said:   

My understanding is that there is no federal law banning such voting practices. It is up to the individual states to determine who is allowed to vote on state and local questions.

There's even been talk about allowing illegals to vote on state and local matters in california. Nothing has happened yet but it remains that states right to determine its election criteria.

But then I'd have to live in Alaska. I don't want to live there I only want to vote there on the protect the penguins from the killer koalas ballot initiative.

rated:
kamalktk said:   
scrouds said:   
kamalktk said:   

But then I'd have to live in Alaska. I don't want to live there I only want to vote there on the protect the penguins from the killer koalas ballot initiative.

You should only be allowed to vote in your primary residency's precinct/district, simple as that.

rated:
You can however, vote in multiple countries if you have dual or multiple citizenship.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   You can however, vote in multiple countries if you have dual or multiple citizenship.
Actually you can't. Even though the US doesn't require proof of renunciation, it is still part of the oath for citizenship. And if they can proof you voted in another country, they can revoke the US citizenship.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
ZenNUTS said:   You can however, vote in multiple countries if you have dual or multiple citizenship.
Actually you can't. Even though the US doesn't require proof of renunciation, it is still part of the oath for citizenship. And if they can proof you voted in another country, they can revoke the US citizenship.

I guess, but they never have.  Also, you can born into dual-citizenship because a lot of nation grants citizenship based on parents' citizenship and also place of birth.

rated:
I've looked this up previously and came to the conclusion that the oath of citizenship doesn't matter and is not enforced.

At best, it's solely on the honor system. It is up to the newly minted citizen to take their promises seriously.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   MilleniumBuc said:   

I guess, but they never have.  Also, you can born into dual-citizenship because a lot of nation grants citizenship based on parents' citizenship and also place of birth.

Yes, you are correct. I was only thinking of people coming over here and becoming US citizens by oath.

rated:
I shouldn't have voted in the state I was in last night...(hiccup)... but I'm sure I voted for somebody...

rated:
KayK said:   
atikovi said:   
moonbeam said:   Owning more property doesn't give you more votes. That's not how democracy works.

Slippery slope.
I could buy 1 sq ft land from kamalktk in say Florida, Ohio and other swing states. Pay taxes on that sq ft. Should I be able to vote?

Well, if some bill is coming up in the state election affecting property owners, you should be able to vote on it.

rated:

rated:
Kaepernick for POTUS! The Ultimate Outsider.

rated:
atikovi said:   
KayK said:   
atikovi said:   

Slippery slope.

Well, if some bill is coming up in the state election affecting property owners, you should be able to vote on it.

But the tenant using your out of state property acts as a proxy for you.  You need to lobby them as to how the bill affects you, which in turn will affect them.

by your logic, shouldn't someone who owns 4 lots get 4 votes to the one vote of someone only owning one lot?  It's a valid voting system, just one that is completely different from what we do use.

rated:
So what if a condo, with 10 units taking up the space of 6 houses, is their vote worth 3/5ths? What if it is a couple jointly holding ownership? 3/10ths?

What if it's not a condo but a timeshare. Should the sole timeshare 1 wrrk owner be entitled to a 3/260 vote, or a joint ownership of the same ve 3/520 of a vote?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016