• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
The NY times has a special page devoted to pickle articles.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/p/p...

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
12 Recipes for Pickles, No Canning Required 
I'm blown away! Brilliant! Who knew! And in NYT of all places! 

rated:
Did you two just today discover that the NYT has a food and recipe section? It's not something new.

rated:
What she said.

rated:
I can give you my secret fridge pickle recipe. Very simple, but not really in a traditional recipe format because I kind of make things up as I go.

Choose fresh kirbys. I like small and whole, but make what you like. Wash. The blossom end must always be cut off. I cut the stem too, but that's personal preference.

I use lots of garlic. I put garlic and pickles into Mason jars. I do not sterilize, just clean well. I cram as many wholes in a jar as I can, but smaller cuts or slices leave space. Then I hit the tap and fill all jars with water. Once that is complete, empty the jars into a measuring container. That's how much liquid we need.

The ratio is simple. 1 part Bragg apple cider vinegar, 1 part water. Add 2 teaspoons pickling salt per cup. So if I measured 3.5 cups, I would put into a pot 2 cups water, 2 cups vinegar, and 8 teaspoons salt. Better to have extra than not enough.

Boil the mix.

While it's heating, put pickle crisp in the jar. Follow label for that, I believe it's a half teaspoon per quart. Stuff your spices into the jar. At a. Min, mine always have peppercorns, the garlic mentioned, mustard seed, the long skinny dried peppers, and a healthy bunching of fresh Dill. Play with it, see what you like. My only regrets so far have been adding clove. An unlikely win was adding celery seed.

Once your mix is at a boil, pour in, put Lids on jars, screw them down, and let cool. When it's not boiling hot, throw in the fridge. Give them time to marry, a week if you can wait. They're good for a month or 2 easy. When they start softening up slightly and not having a bright white inside, you made too many or didn't give enough people the gifts of pickles. If you like them that way, I guess to each their own.

If the vinegar is too much, feel free to do 2:1 water/ vinegar. Keep the salt the same. Anything less or reducing the salt is starting to get into "I don't know if it's safe" territory. If you want to make a small batch that way and eat them in a week, I don't see the danger but I usually make a half dozen quarts at a time, more if friends are itching for them.

rated:
moonbeam said:   Did you two just today discover that the NYT has a food and recipe section? It's not something new.
No. I just needed something for the parody.

rated:
(oh someone has to do it...)

Paging fasttimes's Mom to thread 1539002, fasttimes's Mom to thread 1539002 please.

rated:
i like pickles. mrs. miserly has been pickling red onions and they've been very tasty. she also did jalapenos for awhile and those were also very sweet and good.

rated:
miserly said:   i like pickles. mrs. miserly has been pickling red onions and they've been very tasty. she also did jalapenos for awhile and those were also very sweet and good.
  I pickle jalapenos too. Eating some on my sandwich today as a matter of fact...yum

rated:
Please forgive me my ignorance...pickling jalapeņos makes them sweet?

rated:
sublimosa said:   Please forgive me my ignorance...pickling jalapeņos makes them sweet?
  whend picked with whatever sweetness she put in there, i think it was a mixture of vinegar and either sugar or corn syrup or something... i just eat them, i don't make them.

rated:
My wife pickels jalapenos, mangoes, lemons and banana peppers

Pickled jalapenos and banana peppers are used mostly while making homemade pizzas.. and pickled mangoes and lemons are used mostly with Indian foods like Naan and curry.

rated:
KayK said:    pickled mangoes

OK, need to try this. Do they go gloopy like a mango chutney?

rated:

Big Dill (48.31kB)
Disclaimer
<---------- This is a big dill. He seems rather happy too, toting a cake and wearing a party hat, while the city is engulfed in flames and smoke.

rated:
^
Gherkzilla

rated:
ganda said:   ^
Gherkzilla

LOL! I was trying to think of something, but "King Dill" just wasn't working...

rated:
ganda said:   KayK said:    pickled mangoes

Nope.

Servings
1 medium jar

Ingredients
5-6 small or medium sized raw mangoes
1.5 tablespoon split fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
1.5 to 2 tablespoon split yellow mustard seeds (rai dana), optional
2 tablespoon fennel seed, whole or coarsely ground
1.5 tablespoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 or 1.5 tablespoon turmeric (haldi)
1.5 to 2 tablespoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
salt as required
mustard oil as required

Instructions
rinse and wipe dry the mangoes.
dice the mangoes. discard the seeds. if you have a garden you can plant the seeds
mix all the spices, spice powders and salt with the diced mangoes.
mix well so that the spices get evenly coated on the mangoes.
keep this spiced mango mixture in sunlight for 3-4 days.
cover with a thin muslin to protect from dust.
after 3-4 days, add the mangoes to a jar.
pour mustard oil till it just about covers the rim of the mangoes up to 1/2 inch or 1 inch.
stir and mix well.
store the pickle in a dry and cool place for 3-4 days.
after 3-4 days you can start having the mango pickle.

rated:
OK, I'll need to make a trip to the Indian store for a few of those Pretty sure I can't (successfully) plant mangoes here.

rated:
KayK said:   ganda said:   KayK said:    pickled mangoes

Nope.

Servings
1 medium jar

Ingredients
5-6 small or medium sized raw mangoes
1.5 tablespoon split fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
1.5 to 2 tablespoon split yellow mustard seeds (rai dana), optional
2 tablespoon fennel seed, whole or coarsely ground
1.5 tablespoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 or 1.5 tablespoon turmeric (haldi)
1.5 to 2 tablespoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
salt as required
mustard oil as required

Instructions
rinse and wipe dry the mangoes.
dice the mangoes. discard the seeds. if you have a garden you can plant the seeds
mix all the spices, spice powders and salt with the diced mangoes.
mix well so that the spices get evenly coated on the mangoes.
keep this spiced mango mixture in sunlight for 3-4 days.
cover with a thin muslin to protect from dust.
after 3-4 days, add the mangoes to a jar.
pour mustard oil till it just about covers the rim of the mangoes up to 1/2 inch or 1 inch.
stir and mix well.
store the pickle in a dry and cool place for 3-4 days.
after 3-4 days you can start having the mango pickle.

Why didn't you tell me this when I had more mangoes than I could even give away.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016