• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Usually if I go to a chain restaurant and pay with cash, the server will round my change up. So if The bill is $9.50, and I pay with a $20, I'll get $11 back. I'm wondering how the collective FWF tips in this situation. Let's say you were going to give $2. (Why so much, man?) Would you just give $2 now, paying a total of $11, but only a $1.50 tip? Would you give $2.50 so the actual tip is $2? Or would you just give the server $3 at this point, since he was honest enough to give you extra change in the first place and now he gets a $2.50 tip. I always freeze like a deer in headlights in this situation and I want to be ready next time this happens.

Bonus round: what do you tip if you have a $2 off coupon in this example? Say it's $9.50, but your total comes to $7.50 after coupon. I know you should still tip on the full amount, so at least the $2 you would have given for $9.50. Are any FWFers generous with their coupons and just give the extra $2 as an additional tip as well? Like placing a bet for the dealer in blackjack.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
WOW! Just what we needed, another tipping thread! OMG! I am so happy to see this one, as tipping hasn't been discussed nearly enough.

Thanks, OP, for the GREAT thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated:
Crown Vic.

rated:
Pictures of the server in question?

rated:
H&B

rated:
Shipping kills the deal.

rated:
Are you the wife?

rated:
'Bout tree fiddy.

rated:
I miss TripleB

rated:
"Don't confuse the end of your (insert waitresses) world with the beginning of (insert BingBangNlaow) mine" -john Leguizamo

rated:
Does this count for tithing?

rated:
rlaw said:   I miss TripleB
  Who now?

rated:
When I was a server, I would give you back your exact change. I don't carry a whole lot of spare change around in my pockets, so it would be paper money pretty much all the time. Would I make sure that you had ones to tip with? Of course. Small change? Try a bank.

Should you not tip or be a shitty tipper, I'd make sure that the other servers knew, and your service the next time you came in would be adjust accordingly. We'd all talk about you and your shitty tipping when we got together with other servers from other restaurants, which quite often was nightly. Your reputation as a dick would spread around town, and you would be treated accordingly at the other restaurants you frequented. The restaurant industry is incredibly incestuous. If you're a dick to someone at one restaurant, people will hear about all over town. Of that you can be sure.

The moral of the story? Don't be a dick.

rated:
Wineaux said:   Should you not tip or be a shitty tipper, I'd make sure that the other servers knew, and your service the next time you came in would be adjust accordingly. We'd all talk about you and your shitty tipping when we got together with other servers from other restaurants, which quite often was nightly. Your reputation as a dick would spread around town, and you would be treated accordingly at the other restaurants you frequented. The restaurant industry is incredibly incestuous. If you're a dick to someone at one restaurant, people will hear about all over town. Of that you can be sure.

I swear I heard this story in another recent tipping thread and the consensus here was that it's BS.

rated:
atikovi said:   Crown Vic.
A Crown Vic is rather difficult to leave on the table.

Anyway folks, this thread is by tripleB.

rated:
Wineaux said:   When I was a server, I would give you back your exact change. I don't carry a whole lot of spare change around in my pockets, so it would be paper money pretty much all the time. Would I make sure that you had ones to tip with? Of course. Small change? Try a bank.

Should you not tip or be a shitty tipper, I'd make sure that the other servers knew, and your service the next time you came in would be adjust accordingly. We'd all talk about you and your shitty tipping when we got together with other servers from other restaurants, which quite often was nightly. Your reputation as a dick would spread around town, and you would be treated accordingly at the other restaurants you frequented. The restaurant industry is incredibly incestuous. If you're a dick to someone at one restaurant, people will hear about all over town. Of that you can be sure.

Ohh Emm gee, can you believe that guy went through 5 glasses of mostly ice in cup water. He kept giving me a dirty look and I swear he intentionally slurped the bottom of the cup to piss me off. And I heard him say to him friend "you know what rhymes with no water? No tip." and they laughed and laughed and only left 12%.

PAYBACK WILL BE MINE

rated:
scrouds said:   
Wineaux said:   When I was a server, I would give you back your exact change. I don't carry a whole lot of spare change around in my pockets, so it would be paper money pretty much all the time. Would I make sure that you had ones to tip with? Of course. Small change? Try a bank.

Ohh Emm gee, can you believe that guy went through 5 glasses of mostly ice in cup water. He kept giving me a dirty look and I swear he intentionally slurped the bottom of the cup to piss me off. And I heard him say to him friend "you know what rhymes with no water? No tip." and they laughed and laughed and only left 12%.

PAYBACK WILL BE MINE

That night he was added to the super secret waitstaff database.  Servolist?  The No Dine List?  

rated:
atikovi said:   
Wineaux said:   Should you not tip or be a shitty tipper, I'd make sure that the other servers knew, and your service the next time you came in would be adjust accordingly. We'd all talk about you and your shitty tipping when we got together with other servers from other restaurants, which quite often was nightly. Your reputation as a dick would spread around town, and you would be treated accordingly at the other restaurants you frequented. The restaurant industry is incredibly incestuous. If you're a dick to someone at one restaurant, people will hear about all over town. Of that you can be sure.
  I swear I heard this story in another recent tipping thread and the consensus here was that it's BS.

That's probably because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.  I was in the bar and restaurant business for close to 20 years.  You?

rated:
Wineaux said:   
atikovi said:   

That's probably because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.  I was in the bar and restaurant business for close to 20 years.  You?

While I'm sure cosmic-level karma comes into play, I join the chorus of voices that doubt this story. there's no interchange between waiters, dennys doesn't have an afterparty.

rated:
From the McDonald's thread:

Not only the servers at McDonald's must be tipped, don't forget to tip the waiters, bartenders, sommeliers, maître d, washroom attendants, valet parking attendants, busboys, musicians and so on. McDonald's is changing. Carry at least a couple hundred extra dollars with you to tip, even if you only ordered a Big Mac Meal.

Remember to tip discreetly. Tipping is a private matter, so don't play the big spender who likes to flash thousands of $100 bills. Also, flashing around one of the super-fancy American Express Centurion Cards, even at McDonald's, won't guarantee you'll be pushed ahead of everyone else, or getting extra cheese for free on your Quarter Pounder. Super-Important-Person-Celebrity status cannot be bought. Knowing Ronald McDonald personally may help, but all other status at McDonald's must be earned.

rated:
burgerwars said:   Remember to tip discreetly. Tipping is a private matter, so don't play the big spender who likes to flash thousands of $100 bills. 
  Not at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svWjtDhGQFg

rated:
soundtechie said:   
Wineaux said:   
atikovi said:   

While I'm sure cosmic-level karma comes into play, I join the chorus of voices that doubt this story. there's no interchange between waiters, dennys doesn't have an afterparty.

LOL  You obviously never worked at a good restaurant.  The night shift had afterparties from my time at Cracker Barrel, which was the only restaurant I worked at where people consistently got naked and had group make-out sessions, to Applebees where we got so hammered at our own bar that management banned employees in uniform from drinking there, to big SIN (Service Industry Nights) for all the fine dining crews (including back of house, which many times keeps its weed filled parties to themselves) at local bar/restaurants that kept serving food along with drinks to cater to the after hours restaurant employees.  Heck, my medium sized city even had SIN Cards that pretty much all the restaurant workers carried with them which got us into bars without a cover charge, as well as food and drink specials.  Every bar and restaurant run by someone with a brain wants other restaurant workers to patronize them.  They tend to spend freely, and tip REALLY well.

Maybe it's just that no one invited you to the parties on purpose.....

rated:
Wineaux said:   LOL  You obviously never worked at a good restaurant.  The night shift had afterparties from my time at Cracker Barrel, which was the only restaurant I worked at where people consistently got naked and had group make-out sessions
  Pics, or it never happened.

rated:
atikovi said:   
Wineaux said:   LOL  You obviously never worked at a good restaurant.  The night shift had afterparties from my time at Cracker Barrel, which was the only restaurant I worked at where people consistently got naked and had group make-out sessions

"dear playboy, I never thought it would happen to me..."

rated:
atikovi said:   

A gentleman never takes pictures when they're getting busy in the apartment complex swimming pool during a strip poker game.  The kids these days...

rated:
Wouldn't exactly call someone getting busy in the apartment complex swimming pool, a gentleman.

rated:
Man, y'all need to get out more. Seriously.

rated:
Wineaux said:   Man, y'all need to get out more. Seriously.
  Okay, okay.  Do you promise it's true, on your knowledge of car seats and their installation?

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   
  Okay, okay.  Do you promise it's true, on your knowledge of car seats and their installation?

No need to ever lie about fun stuff.  My party days are VERY fondly remembered!  It sucks to play Truth or Dare with me, because I'll always tell you the truth, and you'll usually start screaming TMI TMI TMI at the top of your lungs when I do.  LOL

Here's the funny thing.  Even after over 20 years, there are some really bad customers (Jimmy Swaggart, the TV Evangelist), some really good customers, and some really funny war stories from waiting tables that I will never ever forget.  The really good after parties?  I remember a lot of those VIVIDLY, because they were really good times.

rated:
Wineaux said:   
Kandykornhead said:   

No need to ever lie about fun stuff.  My party days are VERY fondly remembered!  It sucks to play Truth or Dare with me, because I'll always tell you the truth, and you'll usually start screaming TMI TMI TMI at the top of your lungs when I do.  LOL

Here's the funny thing.  Even after over 20 years, there are some really bad customers (Jimmy Swaggart, the TV Evangelist), some really good customers, and some really funny war stories from waiting tables that I will never ever forget.  The really good after parties?  I remember a lot of those VIVIDLY, because they were really good times.

BUT DO YOU PROMISE!?  PINKY-SWEAR ON ALL THAT IS CAR SEAT!!

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   
Wineaux said:   
Kandykornhead said:   

But of course!  I pinky swear.

rated:
Wineaux said:   
Kandykornhead said:   
Wineaux said:   
Kandykornhead said:   

But of course!  I pinky swear.

Good enough for me.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016