• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Any tips? I'm in need of a new preferred vendor for my spices.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I buy mine at Whole Foods, but I don't know that they're exceptional.

rated:
Eh, if I want to pay whole foods prices, there's a b&m near me that deals in tea and spices. Just expensive.

rated:
Just about any indian market will have spices cheap. Maybe not all the ones you are looking for, but you can always experiment with what they have.

rated:
kamalktk said:   Just about any indian market will have spices cheap. Maybe not all the ones you are looking for, but you can always experiment with what they have.
  All major metro areas have Patel Brothers Indian grocery stores which carry almost every spice and grains/lentils you'd need to cook.

rated:

rated:
woowoo2 said:   The Spice Girls....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJLIiF15wjQ

I'm not sure they're what he wants, what he really really wants.

rated:
I suspect a couple of those Spices could make you quite unwell.

I second WF. I buy peppercorns and vanilla from [whisper]Amazon[/whisper]

rated:
I forget, is one of them pumpkin spice?

rated:
ganda said:   I suspect a couple of those Spices could make you quite unwell.

I second WF. I buy peppercorns and vanilla from [whisper]Amazon [/whisper]

I've bought spices at Tj Maxx. And they were good. I always check out their food section. 

rated:
Spice Hunter

whole Spice

Some stuff at Dean & Deluca depending on what you are looking for.

i love Penzeys for service and freshness/quality. 

The Indian market near my office sells cheap spices in bulk but they are not fresh and the quality matches the price.

rated:
Regrettably, penzeys is dead to me. Thanks for the links, I'll have to check them out. Also had a friend on fb mention the spice house..

rated:
scrouds said:   Regrettably, penzeys is dead to me. Thanks for the links, I'll have to check them out. Also had a friend on fb mention the spice house..
I'm sorry Penzeys broke up with you. One of my long time favorite spice brands is a local brand, Deep South. I doubt it's available anywhere else, though. And it only comes in giant bottles, but it's good and it's cheap. I have their dried red peppers, chili powder and bay leaves. And it's made right here in the home of David Duke, so you should have no political issues with the brand.

rated:
moonbeam said:   scrouds said:   Regrettably, penzeys is dead to me. Thanks for the links, I'll have to check them out. Also had a friend on fb mention the spice house..
I'm sorry Penzeys broke up with you. One of my long time favorite spice brands is a local brand, Deep South. I doubt it's available anywhere else, though. And it only comes in giant bottles, but it's good and it's cheap. I have their dried red peppers, chili powder and bay leaves. And it's made right here in the home of David Duke, so you should have no political issues with the brand.

Haha, if it's associated with David Duke I have an issue. I don't want to deal with companies thatare racist, and ones that call me racist.

My craziest purchase was 4 pound tubs of onion and garlic powder.

rated:
scrouds said:   Regrettably, penzeys is dead to me. Thanks for the links, I'll have to check them out. Also had a friend on fb mention the spice house..
  Whole Spice is cool if you shop in their store in Napa at Oxbow Market. They grind spices on the spot, which is pretty great,

rated:
That's a bit far of a drive for me. Plus I have a coffee grinder for spices.

rated:
I'll bite. What did Penzeys do that was so attrocious?

rated:
sublimosa said:   I'll bite. What did Penzeys do that was so attrocious?

They have stopped stocking someone's favorite chili pepper suppositories

rated:
They said mean things about people who voted for a person who said mean things.

rated:
You mean Pepsi?

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   You mean Pepsi?
  Or Whole Foods?

rated:
That's a spicy meatball.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   That's a spicy meatball.
  ewwwwww

rated:
kirbydog said:   ZenNUTS said:   You mean Pepsi?
  Or Whole Foods?

I don't drink Pepsi or shop at whole foods anyway. That being said, I don't take issue with Pepsi. I have no idea what the issue is with whole foods.

rated:
scrouds said:   

You mean to tell me Penzey's employs people and people are sometimes mean?

/incredulous

rated:
sublimosa said:   scrouds said:   

You mean to tell me Penzey's employs people and people are sometimes mean?

/incredulous

More like an email bearing the owners emai
As a signaturel. Hey it's a business decision, and I respect that. As a private corporation, I support an owner doing what they feel strongly about including sending emails to their newsletter base.

But I don't have to spend my money there.

rated:
Just found a new company to purchase from also.  It's The Spice House, it's owned by his sister and is not connected with Penzeys. They are offering a free shipping to new customers. This was listed on a blog that talked about his email.
"The Spice House folks have kindly written to invite this blog’s readers to become new customers. If you’ve never ordered from The Spice House before, use the promo code NOPOLITICS to get free shipping on your first order. Isn’t that great? "

rated:
Penzeys.

rated:
megablf said:   Just found a new company to purchase from also.  It's The Spice House, it's owned by his sister and is not connected with Penzeys. They are offering a free shipping to new customers. This was listed on a blog that talked about his email.
"The Spice House folks have kindly written to invite this blog’s readers to become new customers. If you’ve never ordered from The Spice House before, use the promo code NOPOLITICS to get free shipping on your first order. Isn’t that great? "

A friend recommended them, was very happy with a gift sent to them from the spice house. I did read of the familiar connection and noted the lack of commentary on their blog.

rated:
I buy a lot of spices at World Market. They're reasonably priced and they have 10% coupons all the time.

rated:
missnic said:   I buy a lot of spices at World Market. They're reasonably priced and they have 10% coupons all the time.
I have one that's local, I will check them out.

rated:
Wineaux said:   Penzeys.
  Perhaps my post isn't clear. Places that aren't penzeys. Thanks. 

rated:
  LOL  They told people to own up and take personal responsibility for what they had voted for.  Some people got butthurt over that.  Go go party of personal responsibility!

rated:
scrouds said:   

My bad.  Did I mention, Penzeys?

rated:
Wineaux said:   scrouds said:   

My bad.  Did I mention, Penzeys?

You, did.

rated:
Have I told y'all the story of my mom's pantry? My mom is very frugal and she had to be because there were 4 of us kids and my parents didn't have a lot of money. To this day I suspect that some of the spices/herbs in her pantry are from 50 years ago and I'm not exaggerating but she can't part with them. When I first had fresh, quality spices/herbs it was like seeing in color after living your life in black and white. Absolutely phenomenal. I have told her on many occasions that she is wasting her time trying to season anything with the stuff she has, but she continues to think that I'm a food snob and that's the reason I criticize her spices/herbs. 

For other stuff in the house she is ruthless about not collecting clutter, but the spice thing...she says they are fine to use.

I like Penzey's, their product lines meet our needs for the most part. We buy some of the esoteric stuff not found there from local ethnic markets here. There are shops in the area that sell by bulk, but the freshness is questionable.

Sometimes I want to kick my guy when I see him sticking his fingers into a spice jar instead of using a utensil.

The End.

rated:
The Bill Penzey email message offered an opt-out action for mailing list recipients who didn't want to continue to be part of the distribution or who didn't want to patronize their business. Results of opt out people represented .721% of the list total.

rated:
Was that in a follow up email? I wouldn't know I guess I'm part of the almost 1% that reads his spma email account and took action.

Seems that news is spreading. You guys can all say you heard it here first. Although maybe not because all I did was ask for other vendors.

See, I take personal responsibiity for my actions and will not support a crybaby ceo that lashes out at his customers when things don't go his way. That's not a company worth supporting, no matter which way you lean politically. But shop where ever you wish, I have nothing bad to say about their products or service.

I urge everyone that considers leveling their vitriol at the voting populace to consider whether they would like to continue living in a democracy.

Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions, they are appreciated. I will be sure to check out so. E of the Indian stores near me and I'll pop into World Market, haven't been inside in years.

rated:
kirbydog said:   Have I told y'all the story of my mom's pantry? My mom is very frugal and she had to be because there were 4 of us kids and my parents didn't have a lot of money. To this day I suspect that some of the spices/herbs in her pantry are from 50 years ago and I'm not exaggerating but she can't part with them. When I first had fresh, quality spices/herbs it was like seeing in color after living your life in black and white. Absolutely phenomenal. I have told her on many occasions that she is wasting her time trying to season anything with the stuff she has, but she continues to think that I'm a food snob and that's the reason I criticize her spices/herbs. 

For other stuff in the house she is ruthless about not collecting clutter, but the spice thing...she says they are fine to use.

I like Penzey's, their product lines meet our needs for the most part. We buy some of the esoteric stuff not found there from local ethnic markets here. There are shops in the area that sell by bulk, but the freshness is questionable.

Sometimes I want to kick my guy when I see him sticking his fingers into a spice jar instead of using a utensil.

The End.

It's not the ancient spices that bother me when visiting relatives but the occasionally expired dairy products. Although I always checked the expiration date when staying at the homes of certain family members, it's unfortunate that a November expiration date on the milk carton doesn't necessarily indicate November of the current year. Nothing quite like waking up early, taking a long run followed by a shower and deciding to cook breakfast for everyone only to have the milk I intended to add to the scrambled eggs come out in one large chunk. Over time, I learned to shake the milk carton and if nothing moved inside it to discard it without opening it.

rated:
scrouds said:   Was that in a follow up email? I wouldn't know I guess I'm part of the almost 1% that reads his spma email account and took action.

Seems that news is spreading. You guys can all say you heard it here first. Although maybe not because all I did was ask for other vendors.

See, I take personal responsibiity for my actions and will not support a crybaby ceo that lashes out at his customers when things don't go his way. That's not a company worth supporting, no matter which way you lean politically. But shop where ever you wish, I have nothing bad to say about their products or service.

I urge everyone that considers leveling their vitriol at the voting populace to consider whether they would like to continue living in a democracy.

Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions, they are appreciated. I will be sure to check out so. E of the Indian stores near me and I'll pop into World Market, haven't been inside in years.

To each their own, man. People are free to spend where ever they wish for any reason at all. I received the email from Penzey's as did many others. I believe he was clear about the purpose of his message and it's not because "things didn't go his way." Free expression is part of democracy imo.

Skipping 7 Messages...
rated:
fivetalents said:   
mkonstant1 said:   Looks like they're doing a sale today. 33% off and free shipping
  They who?

I'm hoping that its Penzeys...  LOL

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016