• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Have had ooma for 5 years. Calls started to sound bad so thought maybe it was the new Telo upgrade. Ooma is saying everyone needs to upgrade to new Telo. So tried to switch to Obihai and use Google voice. Calls are still bad, specifically outbound voice.

Think maybe it's the phone with its noise canceling or whatever. The phone is DECT, so don't think it is wireless interference. Considered getting into router to configure QOS for obihai or Ooma. But that's a little beyond my skills. Also considered replacing phone.

Then it occurred to me to drop it altogether. We have mobile for everyone in the house already. The house phone was mostly to receive calls. I don't think I need this home phone. I don't have an alarm. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Emergency 911 call mid heart attack?

"and my address is ugh ugh urh THUD"

rated:
Faxing over a VOIP line is spotty at best. I tried, but for both sending and receiving it was never satisfactory. Just be prepared for a lot of manual sending and receiving, as well as having to resend faxes. VOIP also really sucks and is not recommended for alarm systems either.

But yeah, the whole 911 thing is a REALLY big deal. For me, it's a deal breaker.

As far as call quality is concerned, you need to give VOIP QA priority on your router. That means that when someone calls, your router gives the voice/fax calls priority over everything else. So yes, if some random telemarketer or survey calls you, your video and gaming performance will suffer. If you give priority on your router to either video quality or to a game, then your call quality will suffer. 100MB Up/Down FIOS "should" help alleviate that problem. This is why both download AND upload speeds are so important. It's also why idiot salespeople who try to tell you that you don't really need the fastest Internet you can get your hands on are so bloody wrong/ignorant.

rated:
A call quality issue can very well be caused hy the choice of providers for call routing. Google voice became notoriously bad for me after a while.

If you are planning on relying on the phone for emergency services use a provider that will register your service address and have the proper programming for e911.

Faxes work great, as long as the lines are set up for faxing. Hell I used to use modems over voip links. But both required coordination with the service provider.

Remember you get what you pay for, and there's a big big difference between these free providers and ones that charge even just 5-10 a month. You do get what you pay for.

rated:
If you want to save your number without porting to a cellphone, there's NumberBarn.com. $2 a month that allows you to record a 30 second message to explain where you went.

rated:
Wineaux said: So yes, if some random telemarketer or survey calls you, your video and gaming performance will suffer.

Or just stop those random telemarketers from getting through by using Nomorobo with your VOIP service.

rated:
SweetClover said:   
Wineaux said: So yes, if some random telemarketer or survey calls you, your video and gaming performance will suffer.

Or just stop those random telemarketers from getting through by using Nomorobo with your VOIP service.

Okay, your great aunt Petunia keeps calling to talk to you about gardening.  Oi vey...

rated:
Thanks for number barn suggestion. May use it if we ditch it altogether.

rated:
burgerwars said:   If you want to save your number without porting to a cellphone, there's NumberBarn.com. $2 a month that allows you to record a 30 second message to explain where you went.Wouldn't importing phone to Google Voice also work? And google voice is free and then you can also forward calls to cellphone.

rated:
My husband and I have not had a home phone in over 5 years. The discussion did arise about 911 emergency when we decided not to keep a home phone, but both of us decided that if we ever needed 911, we were hopefu that we'd be able to talk, and therefore give our location.

rated:
KayK said:   
burgerwars said:   If you want to save your number without porting to a cellphone, there's NumberBarn.com. $2 a month that allows you to record a 30 second message to explain where you went.
Wouldn't importing phone to Google Voice also work? And google voice is free and then you can also forward calls to cellphone.

It could.  Google Voice, I believe, only ports in cellphones.  They'll need to port to a cell first then to Google Voice.  Might just be easier to pay $2 with a company known for parking numbers.

rated:
We set up callcentric for parking number plus still having 911 (unless you don't want it then check that you aren't using it for a home phone in the US) is about $4 a month plus a few cents per minute if you use the line. Google voice for real calling. I use obi device and configure both. if you have dry dsl they actually assign a phone to the line and charge for 911 and if you configure things right - or just plug in a phone it has dial tone for 911 service (only). Have tried out ringplus for number parking / voicemail but their voicemail service wasn't reliable enough about a year ago and at the moment I'd be cautious to keep a number there, you'd just need to move it again if they ever stop service.

rated:
miserly said:    Anything I'm missing?
  Can't beat a landline for sound quality. When I get a call I can always tell when it's from a cellphone, and often it's pretty bad. Most internet and TV packages can be bundled into a triple package so phone service is only an extra $10 or $20.

rated:
atikovi said:   
  Can't beat a landline for sound quality. When I get a call I can always tell when it's from a cellphone, and often it's pretty bad. Most internet and TV packages can be bundled into a triple package so phone service is only an extra $10 or $20.

When you get to experience HD voice, let me know how much you like your terrible landline quality.

rated:
scrouds said:   
atikovi said:   

When you get to experience HD voice, let me know how much you like your terrible landline quality.

I said, cellphone quality is bad. Landline is fine.

rated:
atikovi said:   scrouds said:   
atikovi said:   

I said, cellphone quality is bad. Landline is fine.

Landline uses G722 codec.
Skype uses a newer better version of the same codec.. G722.2
For cellphones, a codec called AMR is used.. which during good conditions has a voice quality equivalent to a landline. (HD Voice)
ETA: I do see carriers limiting the bandwidth used though.. https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3ihbmn/hd_voice_quality_amrwb_codec_rate_decreasing/

rated:
When landlines was converted from an analog signal to digital, they used a PCM encoding at 64kbit/s, which is g.711, standardized in 1972.

Advances in technology have progressed but that's all you get with regular landlines.

rated:
Still beats two cups and a string.

rated:
please, please, resist.
You know what I mean.

rated:
I dropped the landline service more than a year ago, I think. I kept it for a long time because the DSL was hanging from it, and prior to that I had a monitored house alarm that was wired. The phone line was running along the side of the back porch so anyone who wanted to cut the wire would then disable the alarm and I confirmed that with ADT before dropping their service.

I sometimes wish I had kept my phone number which I have had for a gajillion years, but it was a happy day to send the phone to be ecycled and to sell and make money on the cordless phone system that I never even bothered to set up.

rated:
Still have my landline thru Uverse (which I think is VOIP). And I also have a corded Rotary Wallphone in the garage. Sound quality is great like atikovi mentioned. Only prob with Rotary is you cant press 1 for English.
If I ever get rid of it, I can always use the wallphone handset as a substitute for a hammer, it is that tough.

rated:
uVerse is pretend FIOS over copper, and is somewhere between piss and poor.

rated:
kirbydog said:   I sometimes wish I had kept my phone number which I have had for a gajillion years, 
  Still have the number since 1970 when I was a kid.

rated:
kirbydog said:   

I sometimes wish I had kept my phone number which I have had for a gajillion years.

Jenny, I got your Number....

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016