• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi Guys,
I have the Honeywell Beutler 800 thermostat. Recently the screen said LO BAT. I have replaced the batteries w/ different ones. I read the notice inside the cover. The fuse is still intact. No matter what batteries I put in, nothing shows up on the screen. But the heater still seems to be able to be turned on (and off) manually. So I'm assuming the screen display has failed. So much for automated environmental controls.

So in researching online, I understand the thermostat can be replaced by one w/ "compatible wiring". Is this true or can it be replaced by anything? I'm wondering if anyone has ever replaced their thermostat themselves and which brand/models were used?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Any thermostat will work fine, unless you have a very weird system. It's just 2 wires iirc, it's been a while.

rated:
scrouds said:   Any thermostat will work fine, unless you have a very weird system. It's just 2 wires iirc, it's been a while.
  Most furnaces use 24 volts (I think) for the thermstat, so Scrouds is correct.  There are two wires for the furnace, possible one additional wire to just turn the fan on.  Since I don't have AC, I'm not sure how many wires there.  There are standard colors, so the thermostat will have instructions to tell you which wire goes where.

rated:
1. take thermostat off wall, count how many and what color wires you have, read back of thermostat for model/voltage/etc, take pictures
2. determine if you want to heat/ac/both, and whether or not you have gas/oil/electric heat
3. go to store, look at thermostat you want, read package, see if your wires & heat source match, buy matching thermostat
4. take home, put new one on wall

rated:
Of course I'd make sure that there wasn't a recall from Honeywell, or that they'd repair/replace it for free.

rated:
Oops.

rated:
Check troubleshooting in the Owner's Manual.  My older Honeywell 3400 has a feature where when the unit gets wonky, you simply reverse the batteries for a short time, and it performs a reset.

Not sure if this is across the Honeywell line, but it's kept me from buying a new t-stat when this one was appeared dead and unresponsive.

Good Luck!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016